Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: The Longest Day

Brandon reveals his secret about sleeping with Dani to Stef and Mike. Elsewhere, Callie brings Jude along as she visits the Quinns' yacht; Jesus struggles with relationship issues; and Mariana's lack of confidence jeopardizes her dance-team performance.

One of the best things about "Mother" is that we were spared from Jesus and his lovelife, Mariana and the dance team and Brandon and the band.

Agreed.

The band I feel like is a temporary thing to get Brandon back in a better headspace post injury and Lou will serve the purpose of making Callie jealous. I liked the pot brownie stuff with Lena and the Outlaws reprise so I'm fine with letting it run its couse for 2A.

Mariana and Jesus though have had bad stories forever. And these are really bad especially the Haley addition. I'm hoping they'll get better material with the reemergence of Ana because I do like the twins especially Mariana.

Mariana and Jesus though have had bad stories forever. And these are really bad especially the Haley addition. I'm hoping they'll get better material with the reemergence of Ana because I do like the twins especially Mariana.

Agreed. I like the twins too, and it sucks they get crappy storylines.

Watching Lorraine T. In a 1992 Law & Order. She is a seriously under-utilized actor. Isn't it about time for someone to re-run Any Day Now? It's been long enough to be fresh again.

She has been so versatile on this show- kind of cold-ish, but then soooo tender in the hospital.

• Love 1

I thought she was great with Callie in an earlier episode, talking with her about how family is not just for growing up, but for your whole lifetime. It seems like the character has embraced the grandma role, and I'd like to see her interacting with the kids more, in addition to her scenes with Lena. I also loved when Stef hugged her this week. It showed they do have a relationship even if we haven't been show too much about it.

RE Mariana and Jesus, I think Mariana's story is interesting when it focuses on her grappling with issues of identity and privilege. When it becomes just another scenario where we see girls squealing and acting mean, I resent it, because that bullshit is already over-represented on TV and doesn't really move me. But Mariana has always been a little behind the curve in terms of her age peers and how this ties into her early life and her relationship with Jesus, where he used to try t protect her and they are now at odds, I think could be interesting. She's growing past him now, in a lot of ways, but still has the same insecurity she used to.

Likewise, I think Jesus's story had potential when it involved looking at how girls are expected to behave submissively and want rescuing, and boys need to learn to regard their partners as peers. But now that he's not with Emma, it's become more about some weird stereotypical waste of time with the whole "boys think wit their dicks and are basically dicks" and "girls are manipulative idiots who have no souls and want nothing other than a boy which they will cling to at any cost"--a story of zero interest to me and hopefully not where they plan to keep it, but for now it's both boring and annoying to watch.

• Love 1

Watching Lorraine T. In a 1992 Law & Order. She is a seriously under-utilized actor. Isn't it about time for someone to re-run Any Day Now? It's been long enough to be fresh again.

She has been so versatile on this show- kind of cold-ish, but then soooo tender in the hospital.

The second season of Orange is the New Black is basically a showcase for Lorraine Toussaint's acting brillance.  Her character Vee was a heartwarming, maternal, evil sociopath.  If she doesn't get an emmy nom next year for it, I will be shocked.

• Love 6

Agreed.

The band I feel like is a temporary thing to get Brandon back in a better headspace post injury and Lou will serve the purpose of making Callie jealous. I liked the pot brownie stuff with Lena and the Outlaws reprise so I'm fine with letting it run its couse for 2A.

I think they are prepaing us for a major crises with Jesus and his love life. They have been dropping hints like when he hooked up with Hayley and she said she had only been with one person, when she randomly asked Mariana to borrow her toothbrush. Finally, it was weird that the only thing Lena said when she found out Jesus was having sex was did you use a condom. She asked twice. Of course they wanted us to know that he did use them, so he will be fine in the end. This will be a great lesson for the young people watching.

The twins continue to be pointless, good lord those two are dead weights.

Stef attacking Mike was so out of line, as she so often is when she gets angry, because living with her Brandon has just been the model teen over the past "six months" supposedly. At least she shimmered down, eventually.

Mike looked crushed, I give credit to Danny for the way he played Mike's reactions. At least he didn't start going off on Brandon because really, knowing your son slept with a woman you think you might be in love with? Not the best place to be forced to go mentally or emotionally. I was glad to see they let him step up and want to have Dani punished for her behavior at least.

I guess they didn't realize or think that Lena has been sitting on the information for a little while, whatever, not that it really matters because the whole situation is vile, and to me not even necessary.

Plus the Brandon actor just won't change his face...I'd like to feel sorry for the character but the face just makes me want him smacked and told to "snap the hell out of it". And the Dani character is not even a realistic human being to me, everything about her is just a plot point meant to produce more family drama.

The Yacht trip was not as bad as I thought it might be-the wife isn't as anti-Callie as I thought they might make her, in fact she seems to be coming around and getting more comfortable towards the end, the hug was a nice gesture.

And really what a novel idea of just letting people get to know each other on this show where so much has happened in only "six months". Kerr and Maia make a really nice pair together I think.

Mini Callie needs to join Jude for some of those therapy sessions it would seem though. I actually think she'd make a good friend for Jude, they both seem to have that out of the ordinary/precocious vibe to them, once she got over the whole being too possessive/obsessive part.

• Love 1
Mike looked crushed, I give credit to Danny for the way he played Mike's reactions. At least he didn't start going off on Brandon because really, knowing your son slept with a woman you think you might be in love with? Not the best place to be forced to go mentally or emotionally. I was glad to see they let him step up and want to have Dani punished for her behavior at least.

I thought Mike's reactions seemed totally believable and were very well played.  And I liked when Lena pointed out to Stef how humiliated he must feel.  Because here's a woman he loves and trusts and look what it turns out she did.  And he had no clue.  Stef making the comparison of Brandon to Marianna I think was just the right way to drive home the point that Brandon's a child and emphasize the power imbalance between him and Dani.  I'm curious to see how things will proceed from here.  

Plus the Brandon actor just won't change his face...I'd like to feel sorry for the character but the face just makes me want him smacked and told to "snap the hell out of it".

He does do that hang dog face a lot and I've had my issues with his acting, but I thought he did a good job in this episode.  When he was telling Stef and Mike what happened with Dani I thought he played it really well with his voice slightly shaky and all.

Mini Callie needs to join Jude for some of those therapy sessions it would seem though.

And how.  

• Love 4

With the exception of the Jesus storyline, I thought this was a pretty great episode. I get that Sophia is depressed and thinks that Callie joining the Quinn Family will somehow make it all better, but she's gotta be a little off/delusional to think Callie would voluntarily leave Jude and the Fosters. 

The Stef, Lena and Mike scenes were really well written, esp. with Mike switching from the stereotypical male perspective to having Dani arrested himself. 

Re: previews - is Hayley is an arsonist?

• Love 1
(edited)
He does do that hang dog face a lot and I've had my issues with his acting, but I thought he did a good job in this episode.  When he was telling Stef and Mike what happened with Dani I thought he played it really well with his voice slightly shaky and all.

I agree the face actually made sense in this episode, and I didn't think he did a bad job overall, but I guess I've just seen him look and act the same way so many times when it hasn't been necessary that when it is I just feel cold about it.

I just hope they don't pull a WTD story line with Dani, that would just...no, just no.

For once I really liked how they played the scene between Robert and Callie talking about her mother, I thought it was very believable to see him imploring her to let him help with school. I think her biggest hang up was the thought of "owing" him something, as if if he were to give her so much he'd be expecting so much back in return, but really he does owe her and he seems to understand that but wasn't being overly pushy about it.

I also thought Kerr did a good job having Robert give Mini Callie a look of slight confusion/worry over her daydream about them taking in Callie, even he seemed to be thinking "Oh boy...I've got a crazy one on my hands".

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 1

I love when Lena takes charge and doesn't hold back. All in all I thought the unraveling of that secret went a lot more smoothly than I anticipated. It got a little didactic, but it was also realistic enough that I am okay with the edge of lecturing that crept in a little.

The previews terrify me and I am already resentful that they're doing whatever it is they're doing, because I've already decided it's too much and they have more than enough going on already.

Sophia scares me, too. Her saying to Callie that it wouldn't be so bad if she and Jude had never been born? Chilling. Also, I was disappointed that she wants Callie to join their family, but not Jude. I really hope Robert's not going to block the adoption. Jill seemed more okay this time than last time. Maybe she's getting used to the situation, and was reassured when Callie initially refused the college fund. But she's still so uptight and hovery. She couldn't  leave Sophia alone for two seconds, and just let the girls talk without her intervening every other sentence? No wonder Sophia's a little nuts.

Mariana's insecurity and general confusion isn't annoying me as much as I expect it to, mostly because she seems to be getting unstuck at a noticeable pace. She made up with the girl who offered to help her and I was very surprised when she refused the lecture from Condescending Boy Who Wants To Date You Or Be Your Mentor Or Mold You To His Ideal Or Something. She was much better with the kid who moved away, because they seemed like equals, and he wasn't getting off on teaching her something all the time.

Jesus is coming off so clueless, it's kind of a surprise that he's this lacking in social awareness, but I guess there are kids like that.

she refused the lecture from Condescending Boy Who Wants To Date You Or Be Your Mentor Or Mold You To His Ideal Or Something.

Oh right, I'd meant to mention that because I really liked it.  The way that guy interacts with her is so weird and I swear half the time I can't tell if he's trying to compliment her or insult her.  But he definitely doesn't talk to her like a girl he really respects and views as an equal, so refusing the date was just the right thing to do, I think.  I imagine that she'll probably end up dating him eventually and I'll probably be disappointed, but I suppose I should wait and see how it actually plays out.  

• Love 1

Really nice episode. In fact I think this season is a bit improved from last season. I mean it's ABC family and this is at it's core a teen drama, but they seem to be letting story lines like Lena's losing the baby and Brandon finally telling Mike & Stef about Dani breath a bit. I agree Mariana and Jesus have stupid story lines, but  they are the type of stupid things that teens actually do. My only quibble is that Haley is so clearly single white female. It's just a matter of time before we find out exactly what her particular brand of crazy is. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This show is slowly turning me into a Terri Polo fangirl. This might sound a little weird, but she reminds me of Gillian Anderson in the way that everything her character is feeling is written all over her face and plain as day in her eyes and it makes me melt a little....but anyway....

With the exception of Jesus, I really liked this one. The Stef/Lena/Mike stuff was incredibly well done. Stef and Mike's immediate reactions were exactly what I expected them to be, and I loved that Lena called them both out (especially Stef for jumping all over Mike, because that was completely out of line) on how they were acting. This situation went a long way toward pointing out just how well Lena knows everyone and how well she understands the dynamics at play between Stef and Mike. It was like the Lena Wisdom Hour, and it was perfect. =)

Also, I really liked that Mike and Stef touched upon their marital issues a little bit and that Lena managed to delicately point out (in her spectacularly Lena way) that Stef still feels guilty about hurting Mike by leaving him and then steering her toward the obvious "think about how humiliated he must feel" conclusion. I'm glad that everyone was able to come to the same conclusion about how to handle it and that Mike was the one that had Dani arrested. As much as I would have loved to see Stef beat the crap out of Dani, I think it was important that Mike was the one to see it through.

I wanted so badly to feel for Brandon, and I did, but as others have pointed out, that look on his face never, ever changes and it bothers me.

As for Sophia and family, I really like Robert. I love that he was open to Jude going along and that he seems to be content just getting to know Callie without any strings attached. I really liked that he took the time to talk to her about her mother, and that he pushed the idea of the college fund just enough to let her know it was something he really wanted to do both for Callie herself, and for the memory of her mother. I'm glad that his wife doesn't seem to be anywhere near the kind of evil I was afraid they were going to set her up to be. She's being kind and welcoming and trying to make the best of an unexpected situation. Sophia freaks me out a little bit....I get that she's trying to impress Callie and wants to be the closest sisters ever, but she's coming off as a little too eager and I'm not sure what to make of it. I was extremely glad to see Callie genuinely having fun and enjoying something that wasn't tied up with Wyatt or Brandon.

Jesus bored me to death and Mariana just isn't that interesting either. Yawn.

Edited by SparklesBitch
  • Love 1
(edited)

I thought that the Brandon reveal was very well done. Loved how Lena was the voice of reason constantly reminding them that they had agreed not to leave the house until the 3 of them had figured it out together. Quite a contrast from the earlier co-parenting debacles both in 1A and with the hand surgery. Stef and Mike's conversation about their marriage was long overdue. Lena is right about Stef - she does "love hard". I really liked when Stef mentioned to Lena that this was probably the reason why Brandon went to Lena instead of to her - and Lena did not respond.

I particularly liked how Stef asked Mike how he would feel if the underage participant here was Mariana. Thought that the show did a great job showing the double standard for a teenage boy involved with an adult female.

Not interested at all in the Jesus storyline - except to see how crazy Hayley is going to turn out to be. Mariana's storyline bored me too until the girls asked her about her "real parents". I'm hoping that we are going to see the end of the Mariana dance team storyline soon together with the end of Mariana's blonde hair.

The Callie/Jude/Sophia storyline was very interesting. Jill was nicer than I had anticipated - although I was suspicious as to why she asked Jude about the reasons behind Callie running away. I'm glad that Robert showed Callie the photos of her mother and that Callie took the college fund provided that there are no strings attached. I hope that they are moving towards an open adoption where Stef and Lena are her legal parents - with Robert and his family given the opportunity to continue to know and interact with Callie. Sophia's comment about not being born was either overly dramatic or a bit chilling. She's clearly very needy but doesn't seem to be lacking the love of her parents. Her mom may be overbearing but she and her dad seem to spend quality time together. I hope that he quickly dissuades her from the notion that they are going to fight for custody. Callie would never willingly leave Jude. Speaking of Jude, I really liked how Robert was trying to befriend him while reassuring him that he wasn't trying to take his father's place. (Of course, Jude doesn't see his father anymore but that is a different story.)

Edited by LisaM
(edited)

Thought that the show did a great job showing the double standard for a teenage boy involved with an adult female.

They really did. I really liked that Mike couldn't answer as to why it felt different to him at first, because I think that's how a lot of people feel, like it's different because of teenage boy hormones and whatnot, but it's NOT different. Brandon was raped just as much as Mariana would have been in the same situation. It was nice to see the show hammer that point home without being obvious about hammering it home.

Sophia's comment about not being born was either overly dramatic or a bit chilling. She's clearly very needy but doesn't seem to be lacking the love of her parents. Her mom may be overbearing but she and her dad seem to spend quality time together. I hope that he quickly dissuades her from the notion that they are going to fight for custody. Callie would never willingly leave Jude.

Yeah, that comment was what freaked me out about Sophia. In that moment I had this flash in my head where Sophia tries to drown herself right there and fails and blames it all on Callie and Callie ends up back in juvie somehow. My imagination ran away with me a bit, but I think Sophia is in need of a little therapy. And I hope her dad quashes her idea of adopting Callie soon too, but to me he looked a little hopeful, and that worried me.

Edited by SparklesBitch

- My heart started pounding as Brandon led up to the reveal. The whole storyline was good, and I liked how they addressed so many angles/feelings. Mike didn't want to believe it, Stef wanted to blame Mike, Lena was the mediator. They brought up Mike/Brandon/alcoholism, Stef/Mike's marriage and divorce, why this ordeal should be no different because Brandon's a boy. Brandon and Callie's awkward hallway conversation, Brandon and Stef's quiet closing scene... excellent stuff.

- I thought Mariana's plot was weirdly done. First, she sucks at practice (wasn't she amazing when they first introduced this dance team?), makes ignorant comments to the black teammate, who's angry with her until lunch, but later calls Mariana out on her racist comments only to follow with, "haha, I'm just kidding". What the heck? Only thing I really liked was that the teammate responded to Mariana's, "you should blend in better" with, "what, should I dye my hair?" Boom.

And I agree, I really dislike how Mat speaks to Mariana, like he thinks she's an amusing mess for him to criticize. I mean, she is a mess but who the heck is he? Glad she told him off... not glad to see his stupid smile afterward. At best, this is a flirty fighting thing and they'll date and it'll be fine. But I worry that his constant commentary on her life and her low self-esteem is a recipe for disaster.

- Yep, Hayley is a clingy, creepy, stalker and all I can hope is that when she reveals that she's, "pregnant," she's quickly revealed as the manipulative liar she is and kicked to the curb. Hopefully this will grow into a decent story for Jesus because otherwise, he's deadweight.

- The Callie/Jude/Quinns story was good, authentically awkward. Sophia needs therapy, with her comment to Callie about not existing and her obsession with Callie. Maybe Callie or Jude will see what her parents clearly don't and lay it on the line for them because behind that perkiness is a very depressed kid. Also, I'm hoping she'll start to pay more attention to Jude because I think they'd be good for each other... they seem more on the same maturity level.

Totally saw the, "let's adopt Callie," thing coming... obviously, it won't happen now, as that would take her out of the house and away from Jude but I have a feeling it'll be revisited when Brandon and Callie resume their supposedly "epic" romance. Ugh.

What is a WTD story?

Someone already answered this for me so thanks. It's just the thought of Dani holding up a stick with two lines and then tearfully confessing she and Brandon didn't use any birth control and she and Mike have been trying to get pregnant so...the very notion is nauseating.

[T]o me he looked a little hopeful, and that worried me

To me he looked more concerned, because he was quick to tell her that they weren't going to try and adopt Callie because she didn't need them to, that she found a family to love her and take her in, the Fosters, so they didn't have to.

I think he's perhaps noticing that Mini Callie's reaction to having a brand new big sister isn't what he thought it was going to be, and from what they've shown with Jill and Robert I am thinking that she may just have a screw loose more than she has absent parents who haven't shown her enough love and attention.

I also liked Jill's line to Sophia that trying to impress Callie doesn't mean she should show her, as her mother, disrespect. It was nice to see a parent actually put a kid in line and it wasn't mean or uncalled for, imo, Sophia was getting carried away, which seemed to be the theme for her in this episode.

• Love 1

I liked the episode. I too loved that Lena knows Mike and Stef well enough to call them out when they are wrong. I'm glad Stef was able to make Mike see the truth about Dani breaking the law. Its sad that there is a double standard for statutory rape when it happens to a male.

I don't think Sophia was wishing Jude hadn't been born so much as she wishes that they had found Callie before the fosters. She seems really sad and lonely to me and I hope that Robert can get his wife to ease up a bit.

Am I the only one who was uncomfortable with her questioning of Jude during the card game? Her questions seemed very probing me to me. She's also very defensive when it comes to Sophia trying to connect with Callie. I really wanted her to give them some privacy during their chat. Something about her rubs me the wrong way.

I too wish that Jesus and Mariana had better storylines. I don't care about Jesus' love life or the fact that Hayley seems a little too fatal attraction for a teenager. I am still waiting for Mariana to quit the dance team and go back to her natural hair color.

(edited)
Who's The Daddy.

Shudder

Robert is the biodad, and his name is on her birth certificate, so him adopting Callie is not even a thing. He is already her dad, at the moment. A custody war, though, is what I worry about. I think Callie's old enough that the court would normally give her wishes a lot of weight, but given her record, they may also be prone to discount her wishes. So I really hope there's no battle coming, and that the foot-dragging and Jill's probing questions to Jude were only to determine whether the Adams-Foster home was the best for Callie, not that they are planning a coup or that Jill was was fishing for ammo to use against them. To be fair, I think the responsible thing is for them to investigate and consider Callie's best interests, not for them to rush to sign her away without a thought-- even if it's very hard to see the situation dragging along, and I will be very happy to see it settled and the adoption go through.

I think Mariana would be good for Sophia. They're both insecure but Mariana is stronger, and she's kinder and more patient than some teens. It might help Mariana to see an exaggerated version of her own "desperate imitation" behavior reflected back to her. Maybe Sophia needs to visit at Lena's and Stef's house sometimes, not only have Callie and Jude go over there. If she wouldn't try to stay or something. She seems so desperate, not just enthusiastic but actually desperate, like she sees Callie as a lifeboat. Why??

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1
She seems so desperate, not just enthusiastic but actually desperate, like she sees Callie as a lifeboat. Why??

I think just like with Dani the writers are taking a few too many liberties with Mini Callie, aka Sophia.

I could see her being jealous of Callie, because she's been Daddy's only little princess and then bam, this secret love child shows up and Robert starts showing interest in her, etc, or I could see her being more like Jude, confused, scared, hurt, but it's as if they're turning her into one snap short of becoming a juvenile "Fatal Attraction" queen.

I know it's ABC Family and they just seem unable to help themselves, but if they aren't careful and they keep taking Sophia in this direction she's going to become as much of a caricature as Dani, or even worse, imo.

It seems like Sophia has been expected to be this over achiever child from birth, and I wonder if her classmates have all been raised that way too. I think maybe everyone else in her life has expectations of her, and then here comes this older girl who's her flesh-in-blood sister who doesn't care how many riding competitions she's won or how she's scored on practice standardized testing. They're not competitors/classmates in the Land of Wealth. Callie just wants to know: who are you? what do you do for fun? Little sis didn't really have answers, because she hasn't had opportunities to just be. I got the impression she's not even allowed to have a crush on a boy - if there were any at her school - because her mother said "too young for romance." Sophia clearly doesn't like herself inside, so she figures a close bond with someone who is her family, but who's lived such a different kind of life so far, can save her from her unhappiness.

• Love 4

RE Mariana and the girl who was going to help her with the dance routine (did anyone catch her name?), I'm not entirely sure Mariana really was intending to imply it was easy for her because she's Black. It sounded that way, but Mariana can be a bit awkward and blurty, and it seemed to me that she actually was coming from the low self-esteem place of: "some girls are lucky to be talented"  and "I am not gifted so there's no hope for me"-- which is why she wasn't keen to practice more. I actually think that's why the other girl forgave her and got friendly again-- when she realized Lena was her mother, and maybe Mariana wasn't just some dipshit who doesn't know jack about Black people. After all, it's the blondes she's trying to imitate, she's not trying to be cool by affecting a "hip Afro-centric aesthetic" or something like that. Mariana just wants to be popular and to fit in. And here's this girl who's so much better at what she aspires to, without compromising herself-- the other girls accept her even though she does not bleach her hair-- that has to make Mariana wonder why she thought not being blonde enough was the source of her own not fitting in.

I was relieved when the two girls cleared things up and got friendly again. Mariana could use a friend who's warm and not a manipulative, vindictive, fakey snool. I'm also relieved that the show itself is finally maybe getting away from portraying girls as generally pretty shitty.

• Love 5
I'm not entirely sure Mariana really was intending to imply it was easy for her because she's Black.

I'm pretty sure she was. It's why Mariana got all stuttter-y when she was called on it. 

Mariana's storyline bored me too until the girls asked her about her "real parents". I'm hoping that we are going to see the end of the Mariana dance team storyline soon together with the end of Mariana's blonde hair.

I liked the contrast of this, thinking back to when Connor asked Jude about his "real parents" - Jude told the truth first and then immediately tried to cover it with a lie; Mariana starts with the lie.

But I also thought it was wildly unrealistic for the other girl... whose name I don't even know if they mentioned? to immediately drop her suspicions about Mariana's race issues when she found out Lena was her mother.  That just struck me as so weird a reaction.  Plus, we know Mariana only felt like she got on the team for "diversity" (even though she really got on the team for "principal mom").

The other thing that is bugging about the dance team storyline is that Mariana apparently doesn't think practicing will make her better because she's not naturally talented, but: doesn't she live with Brandon, the naturally gifted pianist who (until his beatdown) practiced all.the.damn.time? Wouldn't that be a living breathing example that natural talent will only get you so far? Why is this a lesson she needs to learn?

I guess I'm fixating on Mariana because I don't have anything to add to everyone's excellent comments on the Dani storyline - thank god it was mostly about the adults, because Brandon's hangdog face can only carry so much of a scene.

(edited)

I had found myself liking S2 a lot less than S1 but the past 2 episodes have changed that.

The Brandon/Dani resolution was really well done. Danny Nucci gets less praise than SS and TP but he's really effective in a part that could have easily just been cookie cutter loser ex husband. He was fabulous tonight and I liked the way they pulled in his history with alcohol and just really hit all the beats. I always love his scenes with Brandon and Stef. And I loved the use of Lena too. I think they do a great job of showing that yes she's Brandon's parent but there's also a very real(istic) difference in the way she relates to him versus his relationship with Stef.  The final scenes of Stef and Brandon and Mike watching Dani get arrested were really good. I wonder if we'll see how the actual Dani criminal case goes or if we just get a few throwaway lines resolving it.

I kind of wonder if Ana and Mike will end up getting closer as he helps her and deals with his own broken heart.  I could see the show going there. And maybe they should to give the twins some decent story.

So Haley's obviously insane. Oy. I wish Jesus could have just been selling more household items like last week. I hope we can just wrap this plot up by the end of like next week and not even deal with it in the finale.

Unlike Jesus where I don't particularly like the character, I love love love Mariana but I hate her story too. And I don't really like Mat acting like he's all superior and she's dumb for caring so much about the dance team. Even if she is being dumb, he can have a seat. I'd rather her have those convos with the Moms or really any of the four siblings.

I thought the Quinn stuff was really good. All of it. I like Robert and I won't particularly have an issue if he doesn't want to sign away all rights to a daughter he wasn't even given the chance to know. I liked how warm he was with Jude, I liked that he pushed the college fund. I'm also glad that they resisted the urge to make Jill an evil stepmom. I thought the scene where she was hovering with Callie and Sophia was actually important because she saw Callie not taking the bait when Sophia was putting down her life and her school and realized she's a good person despite her rough life. And I think that was why she hugged her at the end- she was genuinely happy Sophia & Robert had a really nice day with Callie and she's seeing a place for her in their lives. Her scene with Jude made it obvious that they're going to find out Callie ran away because of Brandon and that's going to be an issue that further delays the signing of the papers. I don't expect Callie to move in with them long-term (although maybe short-term) but I also don't expect she'll ever be adopted. And I think that would be fine- Callie is already a member of the Foster family which harkens to the whole love makes a family idea that is central to the show. My perception is admittedly colored as someone who wants to find a path for Brallie but I really do think she's already Stef & lena's child as much as the other four.

Jude was refreshingly honest in admitting he wished Callie never found the Quinns. I agree that he and Sophia could eventually be really helpful friends for each other. I'm not sure what to make of Sophia but I think she's a good kid at heart who is just lonely. I'm excited to see how it all plays out. Callie has gone from having no one but Jude to having an abudance of people who care about her and I'm interested to see how she navigates that.

Edited by GildedLily
  • Love 3

I enjoyed this episode.  I must have taken the Sophia comment the wrong way.  I thought she was upset because Jude was born and not both of them.  I have seen Sophia in another role, but can't remember what.  I like her, she does have issues though.  Maybe too much affection and protection.  I can see myself being torn by wanting Callie at both places, but I also want her as a major character on the show.  Maybe she can do weekends with her dad?  It has to be hard for all involved.  Callie seeing the life she could have had, Sophia seeing Callie having the freedom to grow, Jude worried Callie will be taken away, and the Step-Mom insecurities about her daughter being around Callie and now having to share her husband's time with someone she never knew existed.  Would she have been different?  I would hope so.  

I did like the Brandon reveal and I love that Lena really had it all under control and she told Stef about herself.  Sometimes I believe Stef needs to be reeled back in and is a little standoffish with her relationships.  I hope Mike does find happiness and can totally see him finding someone and Brandon & Mike joke about this down the line even though it was wrong in so many ways.  I hope that Dani does not even claim to be pregnant and they just send her butt to jail or probation.    

I never really pay attention to the Jesus and Marianna scenes.  I normally fast forward them, but last night did not.  I totally see Haley being a whack job and doing something down the line and I don't even like his last girlfriend.  Why can't the 1st one come back?  I did like her.  Why did Marianna lie about knowing her real parents?  Because of who they were?

The fire has me perplexed.  I thought it might be Sophia, but I read on here where someone thinks it is Haley.  I kept stopping the previews to see each scene and I did see the girls home living room.  

I kind of wonder if Ana and Mike will end up getting closer as he helps her and deals with his own broken heart.  I could see the show going there.

I had this thought as well. Moreover, a clean and sober Ana who now wanted to spend time with the twins would be a much more interesting storyline for both Jesus and Mariana than what they have going on now. She would also be seen as a bit of a threat to Stef and Lena who have never had to deal with the twins' birth mom being stable.

Regarding the fire, it looks as if it takes place at Girls United so I don't think that either Sophia or Hayley is involved.

Am I the only one who was uncomfortable with her questioning of Jude during the card game? Her questions seemed very probing me to me. She's also very defensive when it comes to Sophia trying to connect with Callie. I really wanted her to give them some privacy during their chat. Something about her rubs me the wrong way.

I thought it was very normal for her to ask questions of Jude.  I would expect her to be protective mama bear when it comes to Callie.  It's not like she knows anything about Callie or what kind of person she is, and I could see her being very concerned about who is now suddenly around her daughter.  I'd have been surprised if she didn't ask probing questions.  I'm sure Stef and Lena would do the same.

we know Mariana only felt like she got on the team for "diversity" (even though she really got on the team for "principal mom").

I thought she only started thinking that because she overheard one of the other girls say it. But I might be remembering that wrong.

every family needs at least three parental figures in it because, when bad stuff happens, that extra wheel can be a stabilizing influence when the other two go off the rails.

They really do, I have no idea how other people get along with two parents, and single parents deserve all the vacations.  This is why I love this show.  Not all people who divorce have to hate each other.  Blended families are replacing "broken homes" and it's nice to see an example of that on my TV screen.

• Love 3

What an (intentionally?) unfortunate screen-grab of Brandon's mope face at the top of the recap. :-)

FACT: We all need a little Lena Adams Foster in our lives.

Danny Nucci was amazing in this episode. I thought Mike’s reactions, his rage-control, and finally his acceptance of facts and his arrest of Dani were some of the best acting we’ve seen on this show.

RE Mariana and Jesus, I think Mariana's story is interesting when it focuses on her grappling with issues of identity and privilege. When it becomes just another scenario where we see girls squealing and acting mean, I resent it, because that bullshit is already over-represented on TV and doesn't really move me. But Mariana has always been a little behind the curve in terms of her age peers and how this ties into her early life and her relationship with Jesus, where he used to try t protect her and they are now at odds, I think could be interesting.

I agree that Mariana’s story line has the potential go somewhere really interesting in regards to racial identity and self-acceptance. Each time the story starts to go there, they pull back, but I keep hoping.
I also keep expecting them to have Mat start mentoring Mariana on her dance moves, because IRL Jordan Rodrigues who plays Mat, is an incredible dancer. I’m actually pleasantly surprised with the way the writers are handling the dynamic between him and Mariana.

Is it bad that I kind of hope Hayley harms Jesus in some way? I just cannot deal with this story line any longer.
I’m very worried about this Sophia girl. She seems unstable to say the least.

• Love 1

I liked how the show dealt with the rape - a lot. Straight forward, a bit of PSA, not pushy, not overly dramatic, just right.

Hopefully it has touched some people who don't believe a male teen who is manipulated into have sex with an older women is actually being raped.

For the first time I liked Callie with other characters. I like how the show has not fallen for the easy drama of evil-stepparent, mean-absent-father, evil-manipulative-newly-found-sibling. I hope they continue to go their own way without having to do what every other show does. It makes the story more realistic.

I have to say again, Jude is the best ting in the show (and Teri Polo)

I find myself liking Mariana's story, which is odd, since I don't care for high school type drama. But I think it touches some interesting themes and it is enough to keep me invested. I just hope she realizes that her need to fit in is misguided and that she needs to change, but I hope she realizes this by herself, without band guy to "help" her see her insecurities

Oh and there's one huge thing that really annoyed me last night. They've made a point twice now of saying Callie & Jude have only been with The Fosters six months. It should really be at least a year. Lena lost the baby last week at twenty weeks (so about halfway through a typical pregnancy). So given that we're supposed to believe that Lena got pregnant like a month after Callie and Jude arrived? Because that played out over 21 episodes. And that they finalized an adoption in like 3 months?

It just seems completely unrealistic that we had Callie's arrival, B&C falling for each other, Stef & Lena deciding to adopt, Stef getting shot, the decision to adopt, Stef recovering to be strong enough for a wedding, Callie running way, Wyatt leaves, all the Girls United stuff, moving Callie back in after she and Brandon split, Wyatt returns, finalizing Jude's adoption, Brandon's injury, the time jump after the injury between 1B and 2A where Callie and Wyatt got hot and heavy, looking for Robert, finding Robert, losing the baby, and now the Dani reveal all in a supposedly six month timeframe. And in addition to being unrealistic, it undercuts how embedded we're supposed to believe Callie has become in the family.

• Love 3

And I don't really like Mat acting like he's all superior and she's dumb for caring so much about the dance team. Even if she is being dumb, he can have a seat.

Especially since he's at school on a Saturday to go to "nerd band" practice.  

@possibilities - you might be right.  I thought their comments were more general though rather than so openly about race and Mariana just took it that way because of her own insecurities, but my memory is not what it used to be.

If the fire is indeed at Girls United, do we think we'll get another Rosie O cameo? I'm not her biggest fan in the world, but I really liked her in that part.

I know that this isn't fair to the actress that plays Dani, but I suspected she was up to no good because she played the Claudia's friend and "the bad influence" in Party of Five a million years ago.   I wonder how far they are going to take this storyline, are we going to see a trial?

I have concluded that Mariana is a poor man's version of Brenda Walsh.  On 90210 (also a million years ago) Brenda would whine and do horrible selfish things and at the end of the show she would insincerely apologize and then roll credits!  Mariana is bratty and I find her completely unsympathetic, yet I feel like the writers want us to root for her.   Also, when will she dye her hair back to a more natural color! 

(edited)

I definitely think that the Quins were introduced to the show for the sake of Brallie, and that makes me sick.  Callie won't get adopted by the Fosters, and that'll be A-Okay with everyone eventually, but won't we have some juicy story-lines along the way? 

I thought there was a missed opportunity there with Jude and Mrs. Quin. Here are two characters who are feeling insecure about their position in this new family (which includes, Callie, Sophia, and Robert) and they are both on the outside looking in. It would have been nice to see Mrs. Quin reach out to Jude and assure him that it was Okay to feel the way he did because she felt that way too, but it would be alright because they're all part of the family somehow, etc.  

I agree with everyone about 6 months being a ridiculous time frame for all that's happened on the show. However, keep in mind that they'll want to keep the kids as young as possible for as long as possible so that the adoption will carry a lot of weight. Not that adults can't be adopted, but minors have a lot less say in where they might live and such than adults do. Everything seems more urgent and precarious with Callie being 16 than it would seem if she was 18.

I like Marianna's story-line, and although he's my least favorite main character on the show, I don't mind Jesus' story-line either. I just wanted to say that because it seems that most everyone else doesn't like their material.  

Edited by Zima
(edited)

I'm not entirely sure Mariana really was intending to imply it was easy for her because she's Black.

I'm pretty sure she was. It's why Mariana got all stuttter-y when she was called on it. 

I actually thought she got stutter-y because she was being called out on how it sounded.  I agree that it wasn't clear that Marianna was actually thinking that or at least not in a conscious way.  The remainder of the episode seemed to indicate that she feels inadequate and that nothing about dance comes naturally to her so that she may have meant it more benignly and just got awkward when the girl took it as race based.

I definitely think that the Quins were introduced to the show for the sake of Brallie, and that makes me sick.  Callie won't get adopted by the Fosters, and that'll be A-Okay with everyone eventually, but won't we have some juicy story-lines along the way? 

I thought there was a missed opportunity there with Jude and Mrs. Quin. Here are two characters who are feeling insecure about their position in this new family (which includes, Callie, Sophia, and Robert) and they are both on the outside looking in. It would have been nice to see Mrs. Quin reach out to Jude and assure him that it was Okay to feel the way he did because she felt that way too, but it would be alright because they're all part of the family somehow, etc.  

I will be nauseated if this is more set up for Brallie.  I cannot stand the concept of them and I think Brandon is at his most blah, hangdog annoying in the context of Brallie.  But more than anything, this show is supposed to be about family and how a family comes together. To make some idiot teen OTP relationship appear to trump that and imply that ditching a loving supporting family for a teen romance is a totally awesome is some serious bullshit of a message.  Not to mention, families are not fungible so the addition of the Quinns as an alternative does not negate the loss of the Fosters as a family or justify legally splitting Callie and Jude.

I'm starting to like the Quinns (subject to concerns about Sophia discussed below).  And I liked the scene with Jude and Mrs. Quinn.  I'm actually glad they didn't have a mutual odd-men-out thing.  I would be disappointed in an adult in that situation that selfishly bonded with a kid over their outsider positions thereby feeding insecurities and adding validity to his fears.  I was worried about the questioning, but I'm glad she didn't press.  And I agree that it seems that her early reticence was more caution and that she's being more open to Callie after seeing that she was not a bad influence and actually refused to take the bate when Sophia tried to romanticize her existence/criticize her own. 

As for Sophia, so far I see her as lonely and perhaps depressed.  I took her statement that maybe "[it] would have been a good thing"  if Robert and Callie's mom had stayed together to be about her own existence.  She said it directly after Callie added that Sophia wouldn't have been born either.  That made it seem more pointed toward herself than to Jude.  

Sophia seems to feel that she cannot live up to expectations and as if she feels like she isn't what her mother wants her to be.  I think she's latched on to the idea of Callie as a thing that will help in some way that I'm not clear about.  And I saw Robert's reaction to her suggesting that they adopt Callie as concern.  I think he kind of wishes it were possible too, but the wistfulness with which Sophia said it seem like she was really invested and the rational side of him is worried about hurting and/or disappointing her.

Edited by RachelKM

I will be nauseated if this is more set up for Brallie.  I cannot stand the concept of them and I think Brandon is at his most blah, hangdog annoying in the context of Brallie.  But more than anything, this show is supposed to be about family and how a family comes together. To make some idiot teen OTP relationship appear to trump that and imply that ditching a loving supporting family for a teen romance is a totally awesome is some serious bullshit of a message.  Not to mention, families are not fungible so the addition of the Quinns as an alternative does not negate the loss of the Fosters as a family or justify legally splitting Callie and Jude.

I'm right there with you on the Brallie nausea. I really hope that they are setting the stage for an open adoption where Stef and Lena adopt Callie - and the Quinns are allowed access to her if she wishes. It would be a real contrast to the situation with Ana and the twins (although I think that may be about to change too) and would show how an open adoption coming out of the foster care system works. I cannot fathom that TPTB want the message here to be that,if you foster a teenage girl, you had better take care if you have a teenage son because they might become romantically involved.

• Love 4
(edited)
Mrs. Quin reach out to Jude and assure him that it was Okay to feel the way he did because she felt that way too, but it would be alright because they're all part of the family somehow, etc

I think Mrs Quinn is still a way from that yet. She's just had her perfect world smashed, she's becoming more accepting but I don't see her happily side step parenting Jude in the way Stef or Lena may or may not reach out to a Quinn figure or brunching with the extended family yet.

I don't know, its possible this is set up for Braillie, but I still think its going to blow up mightily on everyone before that happens, especially with Sophia who clearly doesn't (again may its just "yet") actually want to join the Foster-Adamses as much as she's all about Callie and maybe custody battles. Depending on the next few episodes I can see Robert walking away (maybe just temporarily) from Callie for her sake and maybe Sophia's rather than eventually see scenes of him and Mike bonding over being Dads.

They really do, I have no idea how other people get along with two parents, and single parents deserve all the vacations.  This is why I love this show.  Not all people who divorce have to hate each other.  Blended families are replacing "broken homes" and it's nice to see an example of that on my TV screen.

Well what we're seeing here is very recent, they were pretty much a broken home family albeit one that never acknowledged that. Mike fell into a bottle for 10 years and left 90% of the parenting to Stef and Lena. I think if Stef had left Mike for another man we'd be seeing a lot more hostility from Mike. Although this episode shows they still have unresolved issues from their marriage, Stef's revelations and break up and issues with the new SOs, I think it helps that Stef created a different life for herself rather than theoretically moving in with another male cop in terms of blended family.

I cannot fathom that TPTB want the message here to be that,if you foster a teenage girl, you had better take care if you have a teenage son because they might become romantically involved.

I think in a lot of ways it fits in with their theme of family. Yeah teens that aren't bio related sudden thrust into a kinda intense situation (emgency foster care) might become romantically attached. It's not necessarily good for all the reasons that already played out on the show and what Callie said in 1A when Brandon didn't want to back off mooning over her, but I don't necessarily fault the writers from playing with the idea, which I suspect is not uncommon. I do fault them for this storyline being the weakest part of the show, but it does seem to be a fairly popular one with ABC Family's target audience. It seems to be a very common theme with ABCF to have a "forbidden" (therefore intense sexy supposedly) relationship in some way. I'm just glad that on this show they're pointing out that an adult seducing a 16 year old is statutory rape and that if that 16 year old is also high and/or drunk then its even worse.

Edited by Featherhat