Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

SilverStormm

Cast and Crew: OK, Seriously, No Kim Cattrall?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, luna1122 said:

I wonder what would have happened if they hadn't killed off Big.  Obviously this season has concluded filming but if there was going to be a second season and Big was still alive how would they have dealt with that?

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

I'm guessing if Big wasn't already dead, this woulda been the nail in his coffin. 

I also wonder if they are surprised. They def seem to express no support for him. 

  • Love 5
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I'm guessing if Big wasn't already dead, this woulda been the nail in his coffin. 

I also wonder if they are surprised. They def seem to express no support for him. 

Didn't one of the women who accused Chris Noth say that he was drunk and often behaved inappropriately on-set? If this is true, I am pretty sure the SATC cast would not be surprised.

  • Love 6
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I'm guessing if Big wasn't already dead, this woulda been the nail in his coffin. 

I also wonder if they are surprised. They def seem to express no support for him. 

I noticed that too. As said above, it could be because they saw or experienced harassment by him themselves. 

Also, I love these girls and maybe this isn't them, but celebs can be pretty phony. Remember so many actors went out of their way to support child rapist Roman Polanski? Just seven years later it was believe all women period. Apologize for old crude comments. You're in trouble for jokes. It's hard to know what actors really believe. 

I adored Chris Noth's acting even if I didn't love Big. I hate to believe this stuff, but when there are multiple allegations . . .

 

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
53 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

I noticed that too. As said above, it could be because they saw or experienced harassment by him themselves. 

Also, I love these girls and maybe this isn't them, but celebs can be pretty phony. Remember so many actors went out of their way to support child rapist Roman Polanski? Just seven years later it was believe all women period. Apologize for old crude comments. You're in trouble for jokes. It's hard to know what actors really believe. 

I adored Chris Noth's acting even if I didn't love Big. I hate to believe this stuff, but when there are multiple allegations . . .

 

Yes, it might be more to be PC than to support the women.

If these allegations prove to be true than it could seriously taint rewatching the series for some people.

I used to love watching Bill Cosby and now I will never watch anything with him in it, ever again.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, qtpye said:

If these allegations prove to be true than it could seriously taint rewatching the series for some people.

Speaking for myself, this reboot has seriously tainted the desire to ever watch the original series again.  Everyone involved in rewriting the history and personalities of these characters without giving any thought or care to the show's legacy and fans pretty much killed my desire to do a rewatch anytime soon.  I figure why even bother?

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yes, it might be more to be PC than to support the women.

If these allegations prove to be true than it could seriously taint rewatching the series for some people.

I used to love watching Bill Cosby and now I will never watch anything with him in it, ever again.

This. There’s so much of it out there. It’s to be PC or part of a movement more than actually supporting women. With situations like the Times Up implosion, it’s so disheartening. We need more true help and support out there. 

Me too. My stomach turns when I see Bill Cosby’s face but it kills me how much I loved his shows. What also bothers me is how such good quality work by such a solid cast is now tainted. The whole Cosby show cast was incredible. 

I’m curious how this will taint SATC’s value. I’ve ranted about it before in other threads so sorry if someone is seeing me complain again. But as a fan I feel ripped off by the multiple video releases of it over the years and they should upgrade everyone who bought the digital series to HD instead of expecting us to pay $70 again. 
 

8 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Speaking for myself, this reboot has seriously tainted the desire to ever watch the original series again.  Everyone involved in rewriting the history and personalities of these characters without giving any thought or care to the show's legacy and fans pretty much killed my desire to do a rewatch anytime soon.  I figure why even bother?

I agree. It hurts. The movies were painful but this? Ugh. 

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Speaking for myself, this reboot has seriously tainted the desire to ever watch the original series again.  Everyone involved in rewriting the history and personalities of these characters without giving any thought or care to the show's legacy and fans pretty much killed my desire to do a rewatch anytime soon.  I figure why even bother?

I was seriously considering buying the new Blu-Ray set, but this reboot killed that urge right quick. A shame, but there it is.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

For what it’s worth, the original series was composed-and-shot in a square 1.33::1 aspect ratio - that’s the width versus the height - (the size of square TVs that existed pre-HDTVs) - and that’s what’s on the DVDs and  I’m presuming the original digital series.

The HD remasters on HBO and the Blu-Rays are a rectangular 1.78::1 aspect ratio, also known as 16x9 (the size of HD TVs) which is not what was originally intended at all.  For the most part, it’s fine, but I’ve noticed that some of the close-ups in the remasters look kinda off to me.

(Buffy was switched the same way for streaming and now you can literally see the camera crew in some shots.  I’m happy I have the DVDs which have the original compositions.)

SATC was also shot on 16 millimeter for its entire run, which is a different, lower, substantially grainier film quality than either 35 millimeter or HD, but that’s the way the crew *wanted* it to look.  (They apparently asked them to change to 35 for the final season and they said no.)

In other words, you haven’t wasted your money, you don’t need to upgrade to Blu-Rays, you actually have the series how it was originally shot and intended to be seen and the HD upgrade by HBO is just shameless, money-grabbing tinkering.

 

  • Useful 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Lethallyfab said:

In other words, you haven’t wasted your money, you don’t need to upgrade to Blu-Rays, you actually have the series how it was originally shot and intended to be seen and the HD upgrade by HBO is just shameless, money-grabbing tinkering.

 

Thank You! I’m also still kind of sour about how they’ve money grabbed from us for this show over the years. The original flimsy plastic disc damaging cases. Then the very gorgeous but very faulty pink folder box set where most of the discs were defective so you have a large gorgeous useless set. Then the white set where they finally added a “play all” button to now all of this digital stuff. And I know the tech forum says it’s impossible but my old DVD’s look more clean than the original SD digital series before they did all this HD mess. 

Edited by LemonSoda
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Speaking for myself, this reboot has seriously tainted the desire to ever watch the original series again.  Everyone involved in rewriting the history and personalities of these characters without giving any thought or care to the show's legacy and fans pretty much killed my desire to do a rewatch anytime soon.  I figure why even bother?

Yeah, I posted about this in one of the episode threads, possibly ep 1. Something like, how does re-watching Carrie's journey with Big in the original series hold up now that we know it ends with her watching him die on their bathroom floor?

I already hated the character assassination on Aidan in the execrable 2nd movie. Now they're just doing it to all the characters. 

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

It does seem like Kim Cattrall was always a respectful "no" on doing more SATC and they thought she would eventually cave if everybody else was on board and they offered enough money.  And then were annoyed with her when it didn't work.  

I can't really tell if something happened during the series, or if the fallout came with the movies and the pressure on her to do another movie when she didn't want to (and comments made to the press about it being her fault there was no 3rd movie).  So I can't really tell if Cattrall was overreacting to something or simply stating a fact that SJP wasn't nice to her.

But honestly, people, you don't have to be friends with your co-workers or pretend they're your "family".   Or claim you "love" them.  Sometimes (usually) it's healthier to have some distance! 

  • Love 9

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SlovakPrincess said:

It does seem like Kim Cattrall was always a respectful "no" on doing more SATC and they thought she would eventually cave if everybody else was on board and they offered enough money.  And then were annoyed with her when it didn't work.  

I can't really tell if something happened during the series, or if the fallout came with the movies and the pressure on her to do another movie when she didn't want to (and comments made to the press about it being her fault there was no 3rd movie).  So I can't really tell if Cattrall was overreacting to something or simply stating a fact that SJP wasn't nice to her.

 

I think what happened (I don’t know where I heard this but I definitely read it somewhere) was Kim said, the 4 of us are the show, let’s go in Friends-style and demand a huge amount of money, we will get it.  And SJP, who was a producer said no, that she’s the star and she deserves to make a shit-ton but the other ladies are not. And true, it started with SJP as the star, but quickly turned into an ensemble.  I think that’s where the trouble started.

  • Love 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

In the book about HBO I mentioned earlier, the HBO exec, Albrecht, talked about compensation as well. SJP started out at one level while the other three were at another. But Cattrall did want more money and HBO knew that was justifiable because her character was the most talked-about. So more tiers of compensation started. They found ways to give Cattrall money outside of her salary for SATC, such as optioning another project of hers.

  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post

Kim Catrall is on How I Met Your Father  (she Hillary Duff's character's older self), which has its first two episodes out this week and she is looks absolutely radiant.

  • Love 7
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Aulty said:

Kim Catrall is on How I Met Your Father  (she Hillary Duff's character's older self), which has its first two episodes out this week and she is looks absolutely radiant.

Aw I'll bet. I think Kim is just going to be beautiful forever tbh. 

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

I liked that they switched the mother to an on-camera role rather than just a voiceover like Bob Saget on HIMYM.  

Kim is clearly relishing the role and bringing a touch of Samantha to it and does look fabulous.

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Aw I'll bet. I think Kim is just going to be beautiful forever tbh. 

That's true.  She looks amazing these days.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

Remember Claire-Anne? She was a memorable one episode character. I wouldn't mind seeing her brought back somehow.

There was a AJLT thread on Datalounge in which someone suggested Jean Smart be brought in. I thought that was a really good suggestion and she'd be a great fit.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

If we're fantasizing, I wish Brady would be recast with Skyler Gisondo of Santa Clarita Diet and Righteous Gemstones. He'd be wasted on the material they wrote for Brady (sex with Luisa, smoking with Che, more sex with Luisa, standing at a door while his mom masturbates, and then having no reaction to his parents splitting up), but he'd be perfect if there were a real story for the character, and he has comedic skill. He's a couple years younger than the 27-year-old they cast in the role.

Edited by NotMySekrit2Tell
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

If there is a season 2 Nya could be divorced and seeing a fabulous new man.  Nya invites Miranda back from LA to lunch to meet him.  And it just so happens to be Dr. Robert Leeds.  I know Blair Underwood is going to be busy with LA Law but I would love to see him on AJLT.

  • Love 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think in the Blair interview I linked in the SATC thread he said that he wasn't even approached.  The show wants to be "woke" but doesn't call the man who played the show's most famous/beloved Black character.  LOL.  

  • Love 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/8/2022 at 8:33 AM, bluegirl147 said:

If there is a season 2 Nya could be divorced and seeing a fabulous new man.  Nya invites Miranda back from LA to lunch to meet him.  And it just so happens to be Dr. Robert Leeds.  I know Blair Underwood is going to be busy with LA Law but I would love to see him on AJLT.

 

18 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think in the Blair interview I linked in the SATC thread he said that he wasn't even approached.  The show wants to be "woke" but doesn't call the man who played the show's most famous/beloved Black character.  LOL.  

Yes- let’s get Nya with Dr Leeds. I am HERE FOR IT!

  • Love 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

 

Yes- let’s get Nya with Dr Leeds. I am HERE FOR IT!

They'd definitely make a gorgeous couple. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That should be its own show.  I don't want Miranda to taint that.  LOL

Or just don't have Miranda come back for season 2 and make Nya's part bigger. Who says it has to be a friend group of four?  Let's make it five and add Lisa too.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bluegirl147 said:

Or just don't have Miranda come back for season 2 and make Nya's part bigger. Who says it has to be a friend group of four?  Let's make it five and add Lisa too.

This would be great. Seema, LTW, and Nya part of Carrie, Charlotte, and Anthony's group. Miranda can stay in LA with her fantasy rom-com. As it was, her story sucked up most of the screen time and LTW and Nya were barely fleshed out characters. 

*ETA: I added Anthony because he was the best part and most true to character out of the originals. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, funnygirl said:

. As it was, Miranda's story sucked up most of the screen time and LTW and Nya were barely fleshed out characters. 

This is 100% true. Why hire actresses as good as Karen Pittman and Nicole Ari Parker and have them do so little.  

If the writers need to come up with some ideas for season 2 all they need to do is come to this board.  I'm sure we could help them out.

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

If there is a Season 2 (please God, no!), do it without Miranda. Just have Carrie, Charlotte, LTW, Seema, and Nya and go from there. A little of the "old guard" and a little of the "new guard", fleshing the latter out in more detail.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post

20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

If there is a Season 2 (please God, no!), do it without Miranda. Just have Carrie, Charlotte, LTW, Seema, and Nya and go from there. A little of the "old guard" and a little of the "new guard", fleshing the latter out in more detail.

And Lisette from time to time. I liked her and we need someone of the younger generation besides Jackie and Smoke.

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/10/2022 at 2:08 PM, RedHawk said:

And Lisette from time to time. I liked her and we need someone of the younger generation besides Jackie and Smoke.

I liked Lisette too. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/10/2022 at 3:08 PM, RedHawk said:

And Lisette from time to time. I liked her and we need someone of the younger generation besides Jackie and Smoke.

I like Lisette too. She's so pretty, and her story obviously had some potential. 

Bobby Lee aka Jackie is 50 years old tho. Same generation as the SATC ladies. 

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I like Lisette too. She's so pretty, and her story obviously had some potential. 

Bobby Lee aka Jackie is 50 years old tho. Same generation as the SATC ladies. 

I thought so but the show seems to be making him an older millennial (late 30s to early 40s). At least, I can't guess what they mean his age to be or Che's so that's what I assume because they act as if Carrie is so much older, for example, the call to Jackie asking for a "cool" way to tell her noisey neighbors to shut the hell up.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/10/2022 at 3:08 PM, RedHawk said:

If there is a Season 2 (please God, no!), do it without Miranda. Just have Carrie, Charlotte, LTW, Seema, and Nya and go from there. A little of the "old guard" and a little of the "new guard", fleshing the latter out in more detail.

This is what I would do too. Write out Miranda and Che, and give LTW, Seema and Nya their own main storylines. This will be so much better and more interesting. Eventually, if the series continues on and is successful, Carrie and Charlotte can also be written out (if SJP and KD don't want to be part of it anymore), with the 3 new women as leads.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Mattipoo said:

This is what I would do too. Write out Miranda and Che, and give LTW, Seema and Nya their own main storylines. This will be so much better and more interesting. Eventually, if the series continues on and is successful, Carrie and Charlotte can also be written out (if SJP and KD don't want to be part of it anymore), with the 3 new women as leads.

I'd pass on that to be honest. I only watch AJLT because I love my SATC gals. I want more of them even if I was disappointed with the writing. 

  • Love 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Cattrall is definitely an attractive woman, but she is 65, and imo has changed the most in her appearance since SATC.  I fully get why she wouldn’t want to resume that role and open herself up to the constant comparison of the face, body, etc.   She’s also in Filthy Rich, right?  So, no real upside to AJLT, really.  I’m not a big Cattrall fan, but do get her declining the reboot offer, though the real reason may not be recognized.

Trey, from SATC, is featured in new series Joe vs, Carol.  I think it’s on Netflix.  He plays Carol Baskin’s missing former husband.  …….Correction: he plays Baskin’s current husband.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Cattrall is definitely an attractive woman, but she is 65, and imo has changed the most in her appearance since SATC.  I fully get why she wouldn’t want to resume that role and open herself up to the constant comparison of the face, body, etc.   She’s also in Filthy Rich, right?  So, no real upside to AJLT, really.  I’m not a big Cattrall fan, but do get her declining the reboot offer, though the real reason may not be recognized.

Trey, from SATC, is featured in new series Joe vs, Carol.  I think it’s on Netflix.  He plays Carol Baskin’s missing former husband.  …….Correction: he plays Baskin’s current husband.  

Filthy Rich didn't last beyond the first season.  Kim is however starring in How I Met Your Father.  And she looks good.

  • Love 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Kim clearly will take ANY television role as long as it's not this one 😄

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/18/2022 at 5:41 PM, RealHousewife said:

Aw I'll bet. I think Kim is just going to be beautiful forever tbh. 

Yes! Unlike SJP who looks like a starving horse.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/2/2022 at 12:29 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kim clearly will take ANY television role as long as it's not this one 😄

LOL this is so true! 😂

  • Love 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

KC's decision to pass on this show, looks more brilliant by the day/week/month. It's clear that SJP, Michael Patrick King, etc put AJLT out as both a money grab and to prove that SATC could "thrive" without KC and Samantha Jones. Predictably (to those of us paying attention).... they've failed. The writing is reminiscent of the second movie--characters regressing instead of progressing, insulting cultural stereotypes, etc. Except this time around, they don't have KC's wonderful comedic timing to paper over SOME of the horrid writing 

  • Love 11

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size