Type keyword(s) to search

Speculation and Spoilers

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, funnygirl said:

I think after everything Miranda and Steve have been through, particularly in the first movie, no. I would not like to see this. There is such a thing as separating an actor's real life from the character that they play. On top of that, between Samantha being MIA and something else I read about another character/couple, it'd be nice if some things stayed consistent from the original show.

Everything they went through in the first movie just goes to show they should be divorced. Steve cheated on Miranda and then gaslit her that it was her fault because being the main breadwinner and primary carer for their child and his mother meant she was too busy to cater to his ego. Then he emotionally blackmailed her into either having a "romantic reunion" and moving on without really resolving the problems caused by his behaviour or ending the marriage. While I loved Miranda's show ending more than anyone's I thought the first movie left her in a miserable place. But that neither ending was inconsistent with the characters we'd seen on the show. And that realistically, there is no way they would have stayed together over the interceding decade. Their divorce would be 100% consistent with the show. And if Miranda, or even Carrie, started to find themselves same sex attracted in middle age, that would also really be consistent with real life as it's a surprisingly common for women in their 40s+. I only don't see it for Charlotte as I think she and Harry have the healthiest marriage of the three women and she just wouldn't be that interested in exploring any shift in who she might be attracted to.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, AllyB said:

Everything they went through in the first movie just goes to show they should be divorced. Steve cheated on Miranda and then gaslit her that it was her fault because being the main breadwinner and primary carer for their child and his mother meant she was too busy to cater to his ego. Then he emotionally blackmailed her into either having a "romantic reunion" and moving on without really resolving the problems caused by his behaviour or ending the marriage. While I loved Miranda's show ending more than anyone's I thought the first movie left her in a miserable place. But that neither ending was inconsistent with the characters we'd seen on the show. And that realistically, there is no way they would have stayed together over the interceding decade. Their divorce would be 100% consistent with the show. And if Miranda, or even Carrie, started to find themselves same sex attracted in middle age, that would also really be consistent with real life as it's a surprisingly common for women in their 40s+. I only don't see it for Charlotte as I think she and Harry have the healthiest marriage of the three women and she just wouldn't be that interested in exploring any shift in who she might be attracted to.

Agree to disagree. Miranda treated her marriage like an inconvenience that cut into her time holding Carrie's hand.  Steve's cheating did not happen in a vacuum.

And I'm glad they decided to work at it instead of walking away.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I don't get this...it feels like the dress is swallowing her up and I can barely see the sparkling shoes.

352097299b4ff56a5305f98c9f818541

This outfit makes SJP look 75. I am REALLY not feeling these fashion choices.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, qtpye said:

I don't get this...it feels like the dress is swallowing her up and I can barely see the sparkling shoes.

352097299b4ff56a5305f98c9f818541

OMG.  Are they trolling us? Carrie would never wear something like this. 

6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Can you imagine being the costume designer on a show that will be expecting fabulous fashions and this is what you offer up? 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Agree to disagree. Miranda treated her marriage like an inconvenience that cut into her time holding Carrie's hand.  Steve's cheating did not happen in a vacuum.

And I'm glad they decided to work at it instead of walking away.

We've had this debate before, and I was very outnumbered for judging Miranda too. I hated Steve cheating. It was gross and wrong, and Miranda didn't deserve it. BUT, I agree that the cheating didn't just happen. If Miranda had all that time for Carrie, she could have given her husband more of herself too. I don't think Steve expected her to be full of energy or making love to him every night. He just wanted more love and attention. 

Now for my popular opinion, that dress is hideous. I wish I were the stylist for the movie. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, luna1122 said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CR4KzuMLKsj/?utm_medium=copy_link

Who is George? Lily's boyfriend? Maybe Brady's? I saw someone speculating its Big and Natasha's son she never told him about. He DOES have Big-gish eyebrows. 

Someone in the comments section said:

Powell will portray George, a student at the famed Fashion Institute of Technology who is unconstrained by fashion/gender norms. He’s described as having a calm demeanor and self-processed energy beyond his young years.

Okay, enough with the new additions. Especially the young ones. This is only 10 episodes (assuming still a half hour, 5 hrs of television!) Obviously Brady, Lily, and Rose make sense as they are the main characters kids who have preceded the new series, but unless George is in fact the son of another established character (like Big and Natasha), then why? Are they trying to skew younger for a new audience? 

I'm of course going to watch because the original series is amongst my favorite television shows and has a special place in my heart, but from the fashion to the tidbits and stuff that I'm seeing, I can't say that I'm all that excited or impressed. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Are they trying to skew younger for a new audience? 

Probably. This is what happens when they bring an old show back and try to appeal to a new audience. You end up alienating your original audience.  

So as of right now we know Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte, Big, Harry, Steve, Aidan, Stanford, Anthony,

Spoiler

Natasha

and the kids will be part of the show.  For new characters we have the three women played by Nicole Ari Parker, Karen Pittman and Sarita Choudhury. And Carrie's cohost of her podcast played by Sara Ramirez and now this George character.

That is a lot of people.  

• Love 4

I’m hoping we don’t have too much of the kids either, but this George (unless he DOES wind up having familial connections somehow) just might be in an episode as somebody’s boyfriend or something. I doubt they’ll shift focus TOO much from the main characters. I think the production is maybe just proud of the diversity they’re showing with casting/characters and want to show it off.

Re the article about Carrie dressing with intent….I get it, and yet I don’t. I could never quite figure out her intention or what it meant. Sometimes it was breathtaking (her evening gowns with tight waists and full skirts and tulle) and sometimes it was just an eyesore (I’m still not over the half shirt, thorny crown and belted bare midriff). Some of the new stuff is underwhelming so far, but her wacky side still seems intact with the floral Dries Van Noten coat thingy over a longer coat over a jumpsuit with 2 cross body bags and a dumb hat, and she is still sporting sky high shoes and labels. I definitely haven’t hated OR loved  everything we’ve seen her in.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I think the production is maybe just proud of the diversity they’re showing with casting/characters and want to show it off.

Yeah, I think that is it too. They're just letting people know that some of the issues the original series was rightfully called out for have been corrected (hopefully - the writing could still be shit for all we know, Carrie the sex columnist still trying to wrap her head around bisexuality...). "Sara Ramirez has a part as Carrie's co-host on the podcast" is not the same as "Sara Ramirez has a storyline of her own."

SATC was never the kind of show where we usually just saw the main characters; a significant portion of the women's screentime went to their interaction with guest stars who were around for an episode or two, and the list of guest stars who fit that bill is as long as you get for a non-procedural show that ran for six seasons. What is probably a little different now is that the internet is quite different from when the show was originally airing; there's so much more advance information easily and widely available, used to help build buzz.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I like the dress okay, I'm still a sucker for a flowy maxi, and we've definitely seen Carrie wear those, but not with that shirt underneath. 

I feel like she has to wear that shirt underneath or else the dress would basically fall right off of her whenever she tried to move.  It's way too big.

• Love 3
(edited)

There are threads hanging off the bottom of that thing 😩 It looks so cheap.  Imagine how John James Preston was dressed in the SATC movies and imagine him being with some disheveled person who looks like this, I'm sorry but please. 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Re the article about Carrie dressing with intent…

They say intent. I say attention.   Either way yes Carrie was known for her wardrobe. Some things were fabulous and some things were not.  But so far with this show her wardrobe is all over the map.  Now it's true we don't know the context of the pics we have seen but I'm losing faith that the fashion is going to be as good as it was on SATC.

7 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There are threads hanging off the bottom of that thing 😩 It looks so cheap. 

And the shoes are all wrong for a dress like that. Wedge sandals would have looked better but the dress is still bad.

• Love 1
On 7/27/2021 at 10:13 PM, WendyCR72 said:

To me, it screams "I'm trying to be 20 something and fashion forward, not 50 something and not".  YMMV.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

No disrespect to Forever 21 but come on now.

There has to be a reason she is wearing that particular dress. It looks awful on her and it doesn't seem like her style.

I don't have the money Carrie Bradshaw (HBO) has but I can find really nice clothes at consignment shops and on clearance at high end stores.  If I'm wrong and there is no particular reason for  her to be wearing that dress then yikes.  

• Love 5

I could go into a Forever 21 and put together WAY better outfits than these. They are trying to make her look like an idiot. If Carrie is supposed to be on a budget, go to Zara or H&M. Even Kate Middleton wears Zara and so do the queens of Spain and Netherlands.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

I get compliments on my clothes all the time, and I do shop at Forever 21 now and then. You can dress really nicely shopping at normal stores if you have nice taste. 

I miss this Carrie. 

hbz-best-of-carrie-bradshaw-05_2.jpg

That's such a pretty dress. 

• Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

There has to be a reason she is wearing that particular dress. It looks awful on her and it doesn't seem like her style.

I don't have the money Carrie Bradshaw (HBO) has but I can find really nice clothes at consignment shops and on clearance at high end stores.  If I'm wrong and there is no particular reason for  her to be wearing that dress then yikes.  

I have found nicer things at Goodwill. I bought a sweater there that looks like it was never worn. It was $5. I have the same sweater in a different color that I bought for $24 on sale. Not really expensive but still..... 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I get compliments on my clothes all the time, and I do shop at Forever 21 now and then. You can dress really nicely shopping at normal stores if you have nice taste. 

I miss this Carrie. 

hbz-best-of-carrie-bradshaw-05_2.jpg

I had a dress similar to that twenty years ago.  It was pretty but uncomfortable to wear. I am not an off the shoulder kind of girl.

8 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I have found nicer things at Goodwill

I have bought tons of nice clothes at Goodwill. Whenever I find a high end brand I always go online and see what it costs retail.   I've gotten some really good deals.

If Carrie is indeed having financial issues why doesn't she just go shopping in the consignment shops which I'm sure are absolutely fabulous in NYC.  Or maybe she could just wear the clothes she already has.

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, funnygirl said:

No disrespect to Forever 21 but come on now. 

Can we at least keep the over-indulgence in high fashion sacred? Is that not allowed in 2021? Fabulousness and extravagance, soooo 2000s. 

SATC was part ASPIRATION.... that's why when people complain about Carrie Bradshaw and Monica Gellar's apartments being realistic, I'm 50% like who cares though????? It's nice to look at...... It makes us desire nice things in our own lives.....

7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I have found nicer things at Goodwill. I bought a sweater there that looks like it was never worn. It was $5. I have the same sweater in a different color that I bought for $24 on sale. Not really expensive but still..... 

I have found beautiful designer items like Yves St Laurent at thrift stores......easy to find if you look

8 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

I miss this Carrie. 

Of course but Carrie is married to JJP and they have real, actual money..... It's a TV show..... if we wanted to look at Forever 21 we'd just go outside, not turn on HBO.  JJP is supposed to be a millionaire real estate magnate.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

SATC was part ASPIRATION.... that's why when people complain about Carrie Bradshaw and Monica Gellar's apartments being realistic, I'm 50% like who cares though????? It's nice to look at...... It makes us desire nice things in our own lives.....

I have found beautiful designer items like Yves St Laurent at thrift stores......easy to find if you look

Of course but Carrie is married to JJP and they have real, actual money..... It's a TV show..... if we wanted to look at Forever 21 we'd just go outside, not turn on HBO.  JJP is supposed to be a millionaire real estate magnate.

I know. I wasn't suggesting I wanted Carrie to bargain shop. My point was that even if Carrie is now broke and supposed to be on a budget, there's no excuse for that look! 

• Useful 2
On 7/31/2021 at 12:17 AM, RealHousewife said:

I know. I wasn't suggesting I wanted Carrie to bargain shop. My point was that even if Carrie is now broke and supposed to be on a budget, there's no excuse for that look! 

There's so much kerfuffle over this stupid dress all over Instagram.  Now the dress isn't from Forever 21.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSBPl-oLYGw/

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 5.07.21 PM.png

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 2
50 minutes ago, Jillybean said:

I always thought Forever 21 was for people who could at least still see 21 in the rear view mirror. I haven't shopped there in probably 20 years.

A mall I frequent has stores like Forever 21.  When I go there I only look at basic things. Leggings, Tees.  But overall they have trendy stuff which even if I was their target audience would not like.  I read a book about the how stores that are aimed at younger people, especially women, don't care about the quality of the clothes because they know their shoppers will buy something new a month later.

Back on topic, I wonder if Carrie was intentionally put in that dress to drum up attention for the show.  As I have said before that is not a dress Carrie would wear. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

There's so much kerfuffle over this stupid dress all over Instagram.  Now the dress isn't from Forever 21.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSBPl-oLYGw/

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 5.07.21 PM.png

I could see that dress being sold at Anthropologie. It wouldn't look terrible without the shirt underneath. The way it's worn here is just not attractive and not Carrie. Anthropologie does actually have some beautiful things. Some of it would suit Carrie's style, but a lot of it is more Charlotte. She wore an Anthropologie apron in the second movie. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

I could see that dress being sold at Anthropologie. It wouldn't look terrible without the shirt underneath. The way it's worn here is just not attractive and not Carrie. Anthropologie does actually have some beautiful things. Some of it would suit Carrie's style, but a lot of it is more Charlotte. She wore an Anthropologie apron in the second movie. 

I have bought some clothes from Anthropologie that are indeed flattering/beautiful. This dress ain't it! LOL!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

I have bought some clothes from Anthropologie that are indeed flattering/beautiful. This dress ain't it! LOL!

Same! They make a lot of pretty things, and their clothes are pretty good quality. Sometimes I see things in there that aren't worth it, but I do love the store overall. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

https://pagesix.com/2021/08/02/sarah-jessica-parker-chris-noth-film-and-just-like-that/

Spoilers in the article.   But Carrie's outfit is better except whatever she has on her head.

Like the outfit, but yeah, the fascinator is just meh.  Also, there's something about her hair.  It needs some ends trimmed maybe.  It just looks kind of tired.  That's really getting nitpicky, I know.  I'm SJP's age and would love to be able to pull off hair that long, on me it just makes me look old. 

• Love 2
On 7/31/2021 at 12:17 AM, RealHousewife said:

I know. I wasn't suggesting I wanted Carrie to bargain shop. 

Historically on the show, she's always bargain shopped -- there was at least one episode where she was shopping in a thrift/vintage store, and the white suit she wore to marry Big at the courthouse came from a thrift shop. So regardless of money, its completely in character for her to do thrift/vintage stores.

• Love 3
On 8/3/2021 at 3:00 PM, SailorGirl said:

Historically on the show, she's always bargain shopped -- there was at least one episode where she was shopping in a thrift/vintage store, and the white suit she wore to marry Big at the courthouse came from a thrift shop. So regardless of money, its completely in character for her to do thrift/vintage stores.

Yeah, shopping at those stores is different from being thrifty in general. Someone misunderstood my post and thought I wanted Carrie to be dressed on a modest budget. That wasn't what I meant, I too love SATC for the escapism, to a degree. I just thought she could look cute even if she's now broke, not that I wanted everything thrifty. Most people who really love fashion, like Carrie does, are willing to spend more than most folks on beautiful, quality things but also cherish older, used things if they're nice pieces. 

I'm really not crazy about a big character being killed off. It would have to be either Big or Samantha, wouldn't it? Can't get rid of one of the other girls when we already lost Kim Cattrall. I guess the other possibility is one of the other women losing a partner, Harry or Steve. Maybe Steve's cancer returned or something. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Well, of the side characters with other projects, Chris Noth (Big) is a regular on the reboot of The Equalizer with Queen Latifah (going into its second season this fall) and David Eigenberg (Steve) has been part of the cast of Chicago Fire since it began in 2012.

So, assuming this revival stretches out, those two seem to be the likeliest candidates.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

My speculation is that Big dies before the divorce and Carrie inherits all his money.

Maybe then she can finally pay back Charlotte for the ring.

he had heart surgery. I'm trying to remember if he had a heart attack. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Well, of the side characters with other projects, Chris Noth (Big) is a regular on the reboot of The Equalizer with Queen Latifah (going into its second season this fall) and David Eigenberg (Steve) has been part of the cast of Chicago Fire since it began in 2012.

So, assuming this revival stretches out, those two seem to be the likeliest candidates.

I guess I will be prepared for a good cry. I get attached to fictional characters! 

• Love 2