Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Quilt Fairy

S08.E01: The Hunted

Recommended Posts

An all-new season of Alone premieres Thursday, June 3 at 9:30/8:30c.

Adding episode description:

Ten new participants brave "Alone's" most terrifying location yet in pursuit of $500,000; one participant is forced to make a life-or-death decision, and all must contend with Chilko Lake's deadliest predator. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I was a little irritated that they didn't really give an explanation of Tim's medical condition, what had happened with him.  I'm not surprised, I knew they wouldn't give us any information.  Yes, I know there is HIPPA, health privacy and all that, but he agreed to go on the TV show.  I gather from the vagueness that he did not have a heart attack, but it would have been nice to have gotten at least some speculation on what was causing his chest pain.  Weakness from not eating?  Acid from an empty stomach?  Angina?  Anxiety?  Exhaustion?  It's irritating.

I'm still concerned that one of these days a contestant is going to be killed by a predator.

Edited by rmontro
  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post

Seriously, allowing a contestant to participate when their heart is only functioning at 35%? Are you kidding me? That was a recipe for disaster. I am shocked they didn't have a medical camp on his site because they were playing with fire.

Nikki said that she was talking to him when he had been released from the hospital so I am guessing he was there for more then just a quick check up but who knows. I doubt it was a heart attack, I can't see him talking to Nikki by the camp fire calmly if he had another heart attack. He was clearly in pain at camp. I suspect that his anxiety only made that worse.

https://thecinemaholic.com/alone-season-8-everything-we-know-2 

The page above lists all the contestants.

On the plus side: I love that we are seeing bears and mountain lions on day one. The Contestants had better be paying attention because damn are the big predators there. I am going to get some of these names wrong but I think I have them matched to the right personalities.

Not sure how I feel about Rose. She seems to be slow in getting her camp together and making decisions. She hunts a lot but not so certain she has the long term survival chops. Her getting sick from the few berries that she ate was concerning.

Clay was the one who shot the bird on day one? Hopefully he is able to harvest and store a bunch of those mushrooms. He saw the mountain lion and thought about hunting it, that takes some balls. He seems to have the skills to survive but hasn't really worked on a shelter yet. that surprises me.

Biko should be interesting. I appreciate the overalls so that we don't get butt crack. Not sure I appreciate the signing but I suspect that we will get a good amount of it. He has the weight to win the show if he can pair that with a solid shelter and at least some food gathering.

Was Matt the hippie? I think that was Matt. Not sure about him. I didn't see him accomplish much of anything or really show any type of skill that made me think he was in this for the long haul.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Tim should never been out there with 35% heart function.  That's negligent of the producers.

Lots of predators.  Yikes!  Won't that make it difficult to smoke meat, probably the best way to preserve it.  Smart to keep your food and kitchen away from your bed.

This should be fun.  Cast looks mostly capable.

Biko and the bone through his nose.  Um.......

*insert adjective of your choice*, some of mine aren't printable😎

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Biko and the bone through his nose.  Um.......

*insert adjective of your choice*, some of mine aren't printable😎

Thanks for reminding me about that. I was desperately trying to forget about that. The use of spit and dirty hands on a bone that had been shaved down with a dirty knife. (shivers)

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

7 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Thanks for reminding me about that. I was desperately trying to forget about that. The use of spit and dirty hands on a bone that had been shaved down with a dirty knife. (shivers)

Well to be fair, Biko was not piercing his nose, he already had a nose piercing, he was just shoving the bone through an already established piercing. I was far more disturbed by his drinking that nasty rain water. It wasn't the first time we've seen a contestant do that but it is such a stupid thing to do. ALWAYS boil your water!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

Well to be fair, Biko was not piercing his nose, he already had a nose piercing, he was just shoving the bone through an already established piercing. I was far more disturbed by his drinking that nasty rain water. It wasn't the first time we've seen a contestant do that but it is such a stupid thing to do. ALWAYS boil your water!

Oh, I get that he had an existing piercing. I still think using a bone that had not been sterilized, lubed up with spit that had been rubbed on with dirty hands is just gross. And yeah, the rain tarp drinking was problematic as well. I suspect he could be a medical evac only because he seems to be loose with basic safety protocols.

I don't get why he wouldn't do something to purify the water first. Yes, it is fresh rain water but that water has been going though trees and could bring bacteria that was on the leaves or bark into the pool of water. I get using a tarp to gather the water but then doing something to filter and purify it makes sense to me.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Bilko even said he was "filtering all the grit" with his teeth! AND he mentioned wiggly things! Dude must believe his stomach can conquer all. Good luck Bilko, may the heavy metal gods protect you!

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

Matt is the St. Croix US Virgin Island Hippie Dippy who looks like a poor man's Matt McConaughey.

He is the one who had the swimming bull moose as a welcoming committee, did not bring a fire starter and named his cameras...

Chad, Jorge, Gary and Gordo.

Rose, unfortunately looks like one of the glamorous outdoor vloggers but I will shut my mouth now....she did not draw a good location and will have to hike a quarter mile each way to get down to her beach...especially dangerous in the icy and snowy conditions to come.

Tim, nice shelter but the gamble that he could feed himself and build came up short after 6 days.

His grizzly anxiety, mental capacity diminished by hunger, some real angina (he most likely had approved NTG in his first aid kit and was popping them under his tongue) but it was his panic attack that took him over the top.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Clay, the poor man's Ben Affleck look alike, looks the most promising by killing a grouse, foraged mushrooms and caught a beautiful trout with his handmade rod and reel and bottle cap lure.

He said he worked with Fish and Game and was used to extended time away(150 days) from family so has the alone part covered.

If he could have killed that mountain lion, in self defense of course, then he would join Roland and Jordan as Alone big game hunters...

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Biko is the class clown and will provided the levity and music for this season.

He packed on the weight and his butt crack would have required serious pixelating.

Finding that nail was like finding a needle in a haystack.

Hope he gets to use his named Troll Shiv to clean fish and game and as an audition for the other cable show Forged in Fire....

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

On the plus side: I love that we are seeing bears and mountain lions on day one.

No kidding.  We, the viewers, got immediate payoff.  Sure, they, the castaways, got immediate danger, but that's what they signed up for!  Imagine our season long relief.  No longer are we given that one glimpse of an apex predator during the previews on every episode and are left to wonder if that was B-roll or is this the episode where we get the payoff?  The answer--up to now--has always been B-roll, no payoff.  We can relax for the rest of the season.  We got the good stuff right at the top, and there maybe be better stuff coming.

That was one action packed episode, really.  Bear tracks galore, mama bear, cougar, swimming moose, a plethora of mushrooms, successful quail hunt, cabin building, blacksmithing, bone-in-the-nose, vomiting, and a tap-out.  Did I miss anything?  I have a good feeling about this season.  The location seems to be a pretty good one for this show.  Lots of natural resources, lots of skills, lots of predators.....

I immediately pegged Tim as an early tap-out the instant he started talking about his family.  Initially, he looked to me as too much like a weekend Cabelas hunter, but his background audition footage convinced me he was more than that.   But I expected him to last a little while longer, then use some injury as an excuse to tap out so he could go back to his family.  I did not expect him to tap out on the first episode.  We'll never know for sure, but I think he had a little chest pain that snowballed into a full-on panic attack which is a never ending feedback loop that mimics a heart attack quite well.  I think that's why the subject was carefully avoided in the after-interview.

I thought hippy-dippy Caribbean surfer-dude would be the whackaloon castaway that got on my last nerve this season, but he had competition coming out of left field this time.  Sure, if that matted, nasty, unwashed and stinky tumble of hair was headed my way down an airplane aisle, I'd be urgently mentally chanting "Please, not my row, not my row, not my row..." but nasty appearance aside, when he spoke he actually sounded quite reasonable, and his wavering confidence when his firestarting wasn't immediately taking off kind of touched me.

The other guy....OMG.  Biko.  He's the one that got on my last nerve.  Attention grabbing hipster class clown.  I think he's too invested in that persona to really be a serious contender.  I also fear he'll do more stupid stunts in hopes that the footage he's putting in the can will get him increased screen time.  I do like that he bulked up for the show.  I also like that he talks to the camera/viewer, I just wish he wouldn't be so damned annoying when he does it.  Maybe he'll calm down and become less annoying when the novelty wears off and the grinding routine of food-water-firewood-OMG IS THAT A BEAR/COUGAR/WOLF???!?!? starts in.

Actually, I noticed that more of the castaways are doing a good job of talking to the camera.  Hell, that one guy named his.  Maybe production is doing a better job of training them.  Maybe they're avid fans of the show and realize those that talk to the camera are more fun to watch and also seem to go longer, like the cameras are their companions.  Even stoic Roland last year was a good camera talker.  When he was alone.  In an interview setting with other humans?  Not so much.

I'm all-in on this season.  Let's go!

  • Like 18
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Matt is going to be interesting because I am not sure how much of his primitive living/survival skills will translate to the cold environment. He is from a tropical island and was shown doing a lot with the materials available on a tropical island but I am did not see any mention of time spent in cold weather situation. The fire starting strikes me as one of those issues. I am not so certain that the tried and true methods that work in a warmer environment with wood that is dry or dries out quickly will work as well in the cold weather environment.  I know that the friction methods are used by many native tribes, even in the cold weather, but they can take a lot of effort and it can be harder to get damp materials to start. I think leaving the ferro rod is going to prove to be a mistake.

I wonder about Rose as well. She does a lot of big game hunting but that is totally different then survival hunting. All of her images and bio was focused more on a business model and planned hunting trips then time spent alone in the wilderness surviving. She might be in great shape and a great shot but how will that translate to doing everything else you need to do as well as hunt? And her stalking and hunting parties might have been in areas were there is known game and things are a bit more controlled. I don't think a big game hunter stalking specific species is the same as Roland or anyone of the other survivalist we have seen on this show.

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

I wonder about Rose as well. She does a lot of big game hunting but that is totally different then survival hunting. All of her images and bio was focused more on a business model and planned hunting trips then time spent alone in the wilderness surviving. She might be in great shape and a great shot but how will that translate to doing everything else you need to do as well as hunt? And her stalking and hunting parties might have been in areas were there is known game and things are a bit more controlled. I don't think a big game hunter stalking specific species is the same as Roland or anyone of the other survivalist we have seen on this show.

DISCLAIMER:  I've only spent two nights in a tent in my life, and the only thing worse than the first night was the second night.  After that, I walked two miles to a lodge and rented a room (at the bottom of the Grand Canyon).  I am NOT an outdoors person AT ALL.

Having said that, when Rose was talking about how she has functioned alone for most of her life, my thought was, "Living in the penthouse suite of a high rise in Manhattan, planning your guided big-game hunts (the kind where you stay in a luxury resort lodge at night) does NOT qualify as "functioning alone."  She puts out vibes of privilege.  If they show her background clip and I turn out to be wrong, I will apologize.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

DISCLAIMER:  I've only spent two nights in a tent in my life, and the only thing worse than the first night was the second night.  After that, I walked two miles to a lodge and rented a room (at the bottom of the Grand Canyon).  I am NOT an outdoors person AT ALL.

Having said that, when Rose was talking about how she has functioned alone for most of her life, my thought was, "Living in the penthouse suite of a high rise in Manhattan, planning your guided big-game hunts (the kind where you stay in a luxury resort lodge at night) does NOT qualify as "functioning alone."  She puts out vibes of privilege.  If they show her background clip and I turn out to be wrong, I will apologize.

I am with you. All of the others background clips showed their environment, it is how we know Matt lived in a primitive hut on a tropical island for 7 years. Rose showed her working in her store and discussing big game hunting. She does not make me think of someone who has done a ton of real survival.

My family enjoys backpacking but I would never pretend that I am prepared to survive solo. Hell, my backpacking "survival kit" includes premade fire starters and lighters in a water proof bag. I have read about using a ferro rod and own one but have never really played with it. The way she packed her bag to move camps was weird and her sleeping bag looks huge. 

Matt and Rose are the two from the first group of five that I think are most suspect in their skills for this environment. Tim was suspect because of his medical condition, he never should have been let out there. Biko seems to have some skills and a positive attitude but I am not sure how his skills apply to this environment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hope Matt can feed himself because he doesn't have one extra gram of fat on his body. I can see him being pulled pretty early if he doesn't tap out first. 

I agree that Tim never should have been allowed out there with his history of heart disease and the resulting limited function. I guess he though that he could go without food for a few days because of his extra weight. But starvation messes with all kinds of things and even low blood sugar could cause dizziness which could lead to chest pain caused by anxiety, which feeds on itself. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

No kidding.  We, the viewers, got immediate payoff.  Sure, they, the castaways, got immediate danger, but that's what they signed up for! 

I'm just the opposite.  I'd be happier if they were some place with no predators because they make me so nervous.  I'm pretty sure no one got eaten because that probably would make the real news but the idea of having to look over your shoulder constantly just makes me tense.  All the rest of the problems they face are danger enough for me.

Matt showed up looking like he'd already been out there for a month without washing his hair.  I kinda like him though.  As said above, I do wonder how he's going to tolerate winter weather when he's not used to it.

Biko can tap out any time AFAIC.  He's just gross.  Can't sing either.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm excited that the show is back.   I was unaware that it was coming back at this time -- I found out because my DVR recorded it.   Lucky me... an old favorite show to look forward to each week.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, patty1h said:

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm excited that the show is back.   I was unaware that it was coming back at this time -- I found out because my DVR recorded it.   Lucky me... an old favorite show to look forward to each week.

Same with me.  I knew it got another season but had no idea it was now!  Thanks dvd!

Matt caught my eye.  Nut case.  Skinny with no fire starter.  That took a lot of effort to get his fire going!  When he's down to skin and bones he might not have the energy.

The goofy one drinking water and bugs from the tarp!  Goodbye!

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Well, Matt(ed) and Biko share the surprising distinction of showing up to Alone already filthy...or at least looking it? I'm concerned that Matt has some gnarly teeth going on as well. 

Tim, with all his braggadocio and then his cardiovascular melodrama reminded me of my dad, honestly. Dad would absolutely have blabbed away and/or exaggerated 35% heart function/"if I hadn't gone to the doctor THAT DAY I woulda lost three toes"/"pus means it's fighting the infection!" and then gone right on to do the next stupid thing involving a ladder or a motorcycle. The thing is...my dad DID eventually die of a sudden, massive heart attack (more than 10 years ago now). So, Tim, I say this with love: stop fooling around in the woods and go home and hug your kids, you big dope. 

I wonder if the show will address the pandemic at all? The opening quote about the torture of isolation seemed pretty pointed, considering that most or all of us have been shut away or locked down for at least part of the last 18 months. I'm sick of my little house, and I have the benefits of indoor plumbing, grocery delivery, a phone, and a SHOWER, MATT at my fingertips. To be honest, I wasn't sure I'd even enjoy the show any more. But I was immediately sucked in, and glad to be back snarking on these brave lunatics attempting something I'd never go for in a thousand lifetimes. Hi y'all! 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Matt is going to be interesting because I am not sure how much of his primitive living/survival skills will translate to the cold environment. He is from a tropical island and was shown doing a lot with the materials available on a tropical island but I am did not see any mention of time spent in cold weather situation. The fire starting strikes me as one of those issues. I am not so certain that the tried and true methods that work in a warmer environment with wood that is dry or dries out quickly will work as well in the cold weather environment.  I know that the friction methods are used by many native tribes, even in the cold weather, but they can take a lot of effort and it can be harder to get damp materials to start. I think leaving the ferro rod is going to prove to be a mistake.

That was the first thing I said.  Well, after "How long have you been on the island alone already, Matt?"  I don't know that tropical skills will translate to cold weather skills.  BIG difference.

Was Tim the one that flat out said he was doing it for the money?  Cuz I knew whoever said that in the beginning was tapping.  Anyone who does it for the money taps quick.  He never should have been allowed out there in the first place.  Notice how he danced around the question of if his doctor approved him going on the show?

Biko doesn't bother me, other than the bone thing.  That was just gross.  Let the goddamn thing close up and get it reopened when you're back in the real world.  But as has been said above, it gets him screen time.

Rose didn't impress me much.  I'll give her a few more episodes.

Clay was pretty good, getting meat on his first day.  Although, I'd have been more concerned with shelter.  I guess they're allowed to kill the mountain lions?  Good pelt there.  What about the grizzlies?  

Mr. Max and I were wondering if any Naked & Afraid folks would ever cross over and try this one.  Matt, maybe?  Just not the idiot Jeff.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, madmax said:

Mr. Max and I were wondering if any Naked & Afraid folks would ever cross over and try this one.  Matt, maybe?  Just not the idiot Jeff.

Matt survived by himself for around 20 days on his Africa XL experience so I’d agree of any of the Naked and Afraid people he could do it.  Maybe #2 would be Bulent who from his behavior during last year’s XL made me think he would be better on Alone instead.  

About Tim, how anyone would go off into the wilderness with his health condition is mind boggling.  
Biko’s makeshift nose ring - I couldn’t look when he was putting it in.   Ugh. 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, madmax said:

Mr. Max and I were wondering if any Naked & Afraid folks would ever cross over and try this one.  Matt, maybe?  Just not the idiot Jeff.

Jeff would do it in a heartbeat.  They are given a big camera, a trail camera and two go-pro cameras.  And he wouldn't have to share screen time with anyone from his own camp.  After all, THIS IS WHAT HE LIVES FOR!!!!

I would just hope that at the end, the score would be Grizzly - 1 and Jeff - 0.  I really can't stand him.  LOL.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

In thinking about the large predators, some of this crew forgot about the tiny ones. Maybe Biko and Rose should have watched some episodes of "The Monster Inside Me."

I guess Tap-Out Tim re-considered his original death wish of undertaking this ordeal.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, AZChristian said:

DISCLAIMER:  I've only spent two nights in a tent in my life, and the only thing worse than the first night was the second night.  After that, I walked two miles to a lodge and rented a room (at the bottom of the Grand Canyon).  I am NOT an outdoors person AT ALL.

Having said that, when Rose was talking about how she has functioned alone for most of her life, my thought was, "Living in the penthouse suite of a high rise in Manhattan, planning your guided big-game hunts (the kind where you stay in a luxury resort lodge at night) does NOT qualify as "functioning alone."  She puts out vibes of privilege.  If they show her background clip and I turn out to be wrong, I will apologize.

I have a fridge magnet (don't judge!) that depicts a 1950s woman in bed saying, "I love not camping." Just one aspect of my personal Elizabeth Taylor Philosophy of Life. 

Of all the tasks, I like shelter construction and (successful) fishing the best! 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

His grizzly anxiety, mental capacity diminished by hunger, some real angina (he most likely had approved NTG in his first aid kit and was popping them under his tongue) but it was his panic attack that took him over the top.

I thought it was angina and an anxiety attack too.  I noticed in his interview Tim skirted around admitting that it wasn't a heart attack.  He said, "I thought I was dying".....Well, that means he wasn't dying, probably wasn't having a heart attack at all.  I get, though, that he couldn't take any chances.  Losing 6 pounds in 4 days?  That's a LOT.

The show has just about outed itself about being predominantly a reality show by letting him participate.  They knew it was a bad idea, but anything for drama.  Plus they always seem to need that first throwaway contestant that goes home in the first episode.

I didn't like what he said about people sitting on their couches criticizing and not knowing how hard it is to go without food, etc.  Dude, I do know what it's like.  I've been ill and couldn't eat pretty much anything for months without horrific pain thanks to gallstones stuck in my bile duct that they couldn't get out for quite a while.  Lost 30 lbs. in 3 months.  And I was 60 at the time.  Hey dude, you were only out there 4 days, not 3 months!  And you're supposedly the survivalist, you should know how to handle these things.  I survived my own ordeal and didn't act like a baby about it.  I'm wondering just how much of what he experienced out there was emotional.  Maybe he didn't even have any angina at all, just a panic attack.  I could see that with him.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I agree -- Tim should never have been out there! 35% heart function? I feel bad for the person who didn't get a spot because of him.

I hope the bloodthirsty big game hunting woman taps early and hard. Not a fan at ALL.

Wasn't fond of the other big game hunter either. Could he have legally killed that cat? Am impressed by his skills, but come on.

Biko didn't bother me. He's entertaining, and I love his knife. The bone through the piercing didn't even bug me.

Why, oh why, don't these people practice fasting? Fasting is a mental game, not a physical one. If they had learned to do it, they wouldn't be so "ravenous" just a few days in. (I say this from experience. I'll admit, I haven't gone longer than two weeks, but I do 5-7 days routinely, and it's just not a big deal.) 

I haven't watched the show since the stupid season where they had pairs. I got about halfway through that one and gave up. Seems like they have a LOT more supplies now. Real bows? Wow. I hope no one actually hurts one of these bears.

 

Edited by rainsmom
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This is the eighth season of this challenge and in all eight seasons someone has tapped out/had to be medically evacuated within the first 10 days.  At this point I'm assuming the producers are doing this on purpose, in a "We need someone to leave in the first episode.  Let's choose the guy with 35% heart function!" sort of way.

When Matt said he didn't choose to take a ferro rod, I groaned.  This is going to be one of the toughest challenges you've faced.  Why make it tougher?

I am glad that the Alone producers have chosen a new location this season.  After the moose kill/musk ox kill in the two previous seasons I assumed they would just stay in that spot because Big! Game! Kills! but thankfully they chose new terrain.  I look forward to the contestants facing new challenges (e.g. oh look!  We already have a bear sighting!)

Edited by LeighAnne
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

DISCLAIMER:  I've only spent two nights in a tent in my life, and the only thing worse than the first night was the second night.  After that, I walked two miles to a lodge and rented a room (at the bottom of the Grand Canyon).  I am NOT an outdoors person AT ALL.

Totally agree. To me, roughing it is staying at a only three star hotel. I need my creature comforts.

52 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

  I've been ill and couldn't eat pretty much anything for months without horrific pain thanks to gallstones stuck in my bile duct that they couldn't get out for quite a while.

I’m at this point right now. The pain during an attack is excruciating. And walking around with this daily low-grade nausea is so delightful. Not really.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

I hate big game hunters so Rose can go. 
Nobody better kill one of those gorgeous cougars.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, madmax said:

Was Tim the one that flat out said he was doing it for the money?  Cuz I knew whoever said that in the beginning was tapping.  Anyone who does it for the money taps quick. 

I don't know about that.   I think if you're doing it strictly for the money, it might be more incentive to stay.  Because at the other end of the spectrum we've had the people who say, "Eh, I've done everything out here that I need to do to prove myself, guess I'll tap out now." 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't know about that.   I think if you're doing it strictly for the money, it might be more incentive to stay.  Because at the other end of the spectrum we've had the people who say, "Eh, I've done everything out here that I need to do to prove myself, guess I'll tap out now." 

Every time that someone says they're only in it for the money, they tap relatively quick.  There was the one guy who was in it for the money and didn't last a day because he thought he saw a bear.  Season 2, I think?  Another one who said it was all about the money because he knew he could survive on his own, he tapped in about a week.

You do have some that leave because they've done everything they wanted to do.  There was the woman in season 4 or 5 that built an awesome shelter, built a sauna, she was kicking ass and she just said she was done, she did everything she wanted.  And I think she was top 3 or 5 when she left.  Had she held out a little longer, she could have won the whole thing.

I think for this, you need people that want the money, obviously, but are more invested in spending the time alone, and that CAN spend the time alone.  Roland had no problem with that.  He was quite grumpy when dealing with other people.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I've also wondered why people do not prepare by doing some fasting (while still being pretty active) beforehand to see how it is going to affect them. That is such a huge part of it, and some people react very badly! Tim might have realized it was not going to work before putting himself through all that and taking up a precious spot. I'm sure the Alone medical team had to have also vetted and cleared him, so... how on Earth did that happen?

Was it also Tim who brought the sneaky silver toothbrush which he drilled a hole in the bottom so he could use half of it as a fishing lure? That may have just opened a whole can of worms for this show going forward!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/4/2021 at 9:14 PM, LennieBriscoe said:

I have a fridge magnet (don't judge!) that depicts a 1950s woman in bed saying, "I love not camping." 

I have that magnet too! It was on my fridge but is now on one of my cabinets at work. I bought it when dating a guy who loved camping and all that outdoorsy stuff and couldn’t seem to accept my distinct lack of interest. Notice that the dating is past tense. He’s gone and the magnet took a trip to the office. We’re probably all happier. 

To be so completely indoorsy I weirdly love this show. I know I don’t have what it takes to do what these folks do and maybe that’s part of why I enjoy it so much. I’ve often joked with my kids that if a zombie apocalypse hits my best bet might just be to run toward the zombies and get it over with since I have little to no survival skills. 

It will take me a bit to learn names, it always does, but I’m with y’all  and shocked that tap our heart attack guy was even allowed to compete. Thirty five percent heart function sounds like a number that needs to not be put into intentionally stressful environments. I fully expected Virgin Island dude to annoy me but I found him oddly likable. As long as I don’t look at his teeth. Whacked out teeth give me the heebie jeebies. Bone nose guy is teetering on the fence for me. He can fall on the amusing side or the annoying side. I’m not sure which it’ll be but right now he’s leaning annoying. I kind of expected berry eating lady to tap when she started puking. And I guess she christened the season for us because we always get to at least hear, if not see, someone throwing up every season. Thanks Alone. But really, I’m glad you’re back show’ 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I encountered this show during Quarantine and not from the beginning of the season (Roland and the two warrior women!), so I am a beginner fan. Have been loving all your comments...how can you all read my thoughts so well? Rose may be handy with a bow and arrow, but her temporary campsite looked like $#!+ and I fail to see how that tarp will hold up to snow. Fat metal boi will be the entertainment of the season. Pagan folk band? Kill me now. Clay (?) seems competent, though I would think you'd want the mountain lion to just move on until you have better infrastructure in place to handle the carcass. I agree Tim should never have been chosen, but I agree there has to be some low hanging fruit to eliminate early. Shaman Matt, well, I just hope it gets cold real early so we can watch the rapid freezing of a tropical beach bum. I can't look at those teeth for very much longer.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, ramble said:

It will take me a bit to learn names, it always does, but I’m with y’all  and shocked that tap our heart attack guy was even allowed to compete. Thirty five percent heart function sounds like a number that needs to not be put into intentionally stressful environments. 

I would suspect that the altitude may have added to the extra strain on his heart.  They're at about 3,000 feet.  If he's used to sea level, he may have done okay at that level.  But the physical exertion of building a shelter, hunting, etc., is going to be more of a challenge to anyone with heart or lung issues.  I have asthma, and - although 3,000 feet doesn't sound like much - I can tell how much more difficult breathing during exertion is at that level.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/4/2021 at 9:26 PM, rainsmom said:

I agree -- Tim should never have been out there! 35% heart function? I feel bad for the person who didn't get a spot because of him.

I think it pays to exercise caution when believing what participants mention about themselves.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

though I would think you'd want the mountain lion to just move on until you have better infrastructure in place to handle the carcass

They are in cougar country so I guess they are allowed to defend themselves if a cougar attacks, but "treeing" it so you can kill it (?) I'm not for that especially because you can't eat it. I would like to know what the rules are about killing cougars.

So it seems no Canadian contestants this year?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I encountered this show during Quarantine and not from the beginning of the season (Roland and the two warrior women!), so I am a beginner fan. Have been loving all your comments...how can you all read my thoughts so well? Rose may be handy with a bow and arrow, but her temporary campsite looked like $#!+ and I fail to see how that tarp will hold up to snow. Fat metal boi will be the entertainment of the season. Pagan folk band? Kill me now. Clay (?) seems competent, though I would think you'd want the mountain lion to just move on until you have better infrastructure in place to handle the carcass. I agree Tim should never have been chosen, but I agree there has to be some low hanging fruit to eliminate early. Shaman Matt, well, I just hope it gets cold real early so we can watch the rapid freezing of a tropical beach bum. I can't look at those teeth for very much longer.

His teeth gross me out. Just nasty

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

One of the chyrons said contestants were able to kill anything they could and use anything they found.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

One of the chyrons said contestants were able to kill anything they could and use anything they found.

Even the grizzlies?  Last year, Amos wasn't allowed to kill something (can't remember what it was.  Wolves?) unless they actually attacked.

I would think grizzlies would be somewhat protected.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

So it seems no Canadian contestants this year?

But apparently one from the UK, a woman that they didn't focus on in the first ep. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, madmax said:

Even the grizzlies?  Last year, Amos wasn't allowed to kill something (can't remember what it was.  Wolves?) unless they actually attacked.

I would think grizzlies would be somewhat protected.

My friends husband just returned from bear hunting up in Alaska!  They had the meat processed and shipped home on the plane!

The head to be mounted and the skin being processed.

I don’t like to see any animals killed. It just makes me sad. So even though he was using all of the bear it still died. 

There is such a huge new population in Alaska so I’m sure the bears are being run out like the deer here. 

No place to hide!  😔 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, madmax said:

Even the grizzlies?  Last year, Amos wasn't allowed to kill something (can't remember what it was.  Wolves?) unless they actually attacked.

I would think grizzlies would be somewhat protected.

Foxes. They were not allowed to kill foxes while at Great Slave lake.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Blackie said:

They are in cougar country so I guess they are allowed to defend themselves if a cougar attacks, but "treeing" it so you can kill it (?) I'm not for that especially because you can't eat it.

I definitely don't want to see one killed.  These people drop in on the big cats' turf for shits and giggles, and then the cats become the hunted.  If you're brave/dumb enough to go into big cat territory for an extended camping/survival trip, then I have no sympathy if you get eaten.   I will root for the cats every single time.  I'm okay with hunting for your food, but I don't want to see the big cats killed for sport or because you walked your ass through their front door and now consider them a nuisance.  ;)  

19 hours ago, ramble said:

I know I don’t have what it takes to do what these folks do and maybe that’s part of why I enjoy it so much.

I'm in awe of people like Roland and the other bad asses who have been on this show, and I enjoy listening to them as they walk us through their techniques.  It's fascinating the amount of skills/knowledge most of them have. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/6/2021 at 1:06 AM, ramble said:

It will take me a bit to learn names, it always does, but I’m with y’all  and shocked that tap our heart attack guy was even allowed to compete. Thirty five percent heart function sounds like a number that needs to not be put into intentionally stressful environments.

I took a look into this, and the measure used for heart function doesn't place normal at 100%.  For example, a heart is considered functioning normally between 55 and 70%.  It doesn't sound like most people ever reach 100%.  So 35% is considered "moderately below normal".  Not that that's great but it's not as bad as it originally sounded.  I still don't think he should have been allowed to compete.  

  • Like 1
  • Useful 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/4/2021 at 9:47 PM, LittleIggy said:

I hate big game hunters so Rose can go. 
Nobody better kill one of those gorgeous cougars.

She puked on berries. Shouldn’t someone who regularly roughs it be used to eating berries? Oh, wait, she’s a trophy “hunter” who goes on canned hunts and teaches “outdoor skills” at the local foofoo glamping store. Princess Privileged can go home any time.

Poor Tim, he got a great shelter built and engineered a lure out of his toothbrush but had to go home for a medical reason that should have disqualified him in the first place.

I love that they’ve returned to southern BC. Different location than VI, but similar enough kind of place - rain, cold, more rain, uncomfortable amounts of rain... whenever the producers want contestants to go home fast they know to go someplace cold and wet. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote
18 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

One of the chyrons said contestants were able to kill anything they could and use anything they found.

 

Every time an animal is killed on this show, there is a disclaimer on the screen saying that the contestants must follow local game hunting laws.  I don't know specifically about BC, but mountain lions and grizzlies are legally hunted in some US states and areas of Canada.  If Clay was disappointed that he didn't get a chance to shoot the mountain lion, I'm assuming he knows that they are fair game.  I can't imagine there would be any fat on a lean big cat like that, but protein is protein.  I understand that may bother some viewers, but legal game = food, and may make a $500k difference!   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't have a problem with the hunting that occurs on the show. They are hunting for food and use all the animal in their survival. It is not hunting for fun or big game hunting for trophies. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size