Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3

• Start Topic

(edited)

I finished the entire season already. There are WAY too may plotlines this season. We really did not need the new characters of Bree and Lily's daughter, whose name I don't recall. I will say it was much more enjoyable to watch this show Hope-less. Her character is so dreadfully annoying. Just her text to doc telling him to sleep at the clinic pissed me off. So I'm OK if she doesn't make the miraculous recovery she is surely destined for. 

Various thoughts:

• Jack and Mel - the "breakup" was a dumb plot device so that Mel would run off to LA and in the span of a couple of days, decide to implant the Mark embryo and actually have the implantation done! Come on.
  • When did Mel become wealthy enough to be someone's benefactor? Was Mark's life insurance policy that rich? Also, since when is her cabin waterfront?
  • I could not care less about Brady and Bree. Far too much time was spent on these two. The redemption arc for Brady didn't work. Bree doesn't come off as a powerhouse attorney, and it's hard to believe that her response to being date-raped was to quit her job, get drunk, and start screwing randos in Virgin River. And she and Brady can keep telling each other they're gorgeous, but that doesn't make it true.
  • Charmaine's low self-esteem and desperation to be loved has led her to marrying a soon-to-be abusive man. Witness the telltale signs: love-bombing (engaged in 3 weeks): check. Isolating her from friends and family (move to Eureka, getting rid of dog, antagonizing Jack): check.  Seriously, she has never had a problem with Jack before, other than his relationship with Mel, and now she's treating him like the enemy because "Todd says?" This will not end well for her. Kudos on the flat stomach, though. 
  • Lily - her illness and rapid death was used as a plot device for the Hope storyline. They spent too much of the season on her, and her daughter, whom we never knew before and were suddenly supposed to care about. We didn't see any of her other kids other than Chloe, whom she initially gave up because she was embarrassed to tell people she was pregnant? And now the daughter is adopting Chloe, oh, and staying in Virgin River. Yay.
  • Ricky is dumb and I hope he does enlist so Lizzie can get together with Doc's new 19-year-old grandson. 
  • I wish they would give Preacher a real storyline rather than him taking care of Christopher because he has a crush on the long-gone "Paige." If Lexa Doig is not returning to the show, please move on from this silly plotline. It's getting stale. And who didn't see that coming with the "friend" luring him away? 
  • Doc's AMD seemed a little pointless. Much time was spent on him interviewing candidates for his replacement only to have him decide to stay on and not hire anyone. What was the point??
  • I liked Muriel this season, they've softened her. She and Doc are a good match. I fail to see why Hope is more appealing, other than that they have a history together.
  • Tim Matheson was lovely in the hospital scenes, especially with Lizzie.

I hope next season they will focus on a few key plotlines because 10 episodes isn't enough for everything they tried to jam in there -- especially when the 10 episodes only covers a couple of weeks or so.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 10

Sigh. You people are making this hard. Muriel IS my favorite book character. And you're making me wanr to see her scenes, even if there isn't a general. But the rest of doesn't seem like I'm missing anything special.

I created individual threads for each episode.  I know it's hard to split discussions out sometimes when we binge, so I'll keep this open as a general/overall season 3 discussion. 

• Love 4

Ugh....the last 3 or 4 episodes at least moved along...but dang...can NOTHING be resolved? My GOD!!...Next season is pretty ify for me.

The ONLY reason I would watch is  for Tim Mathewson!! He's just the bees knees!!

• Love 3

Well, I made it to the end & all I can say is:  There had better be a Season 4!  How can they leave all those storylines hanging?!  So much happening!  :)  Will Hope come out of her coma? What happened to Preacher? Is Christopher safe or did the strange man in Connie's house kidnap him?  Will Brady be able to prove he is innocent of shooting Jack?  Will the DEA agent/friend turn out to be a 'dirty cop"?  Will we see Ricky again or will he be gone off to the Marines never to be seen again?(I happen to like Ricky but without Lizzie), Will Lizzie go back to LA?  Will Charmain wake up & realize what a mistake her marriage is to over-controlling husband & leave him?  Will Jack accept Mel's IVF baby?  Will Doc's grandson who suddenly arrived in town make problems for his Grandpa?   My head is spinning with all the possibilities :)

• Love 1
(edited)

This show continues to be ridiculous in the most soapy way. They always try to incorporate as many plots as they can. Date Rape, shootings, fires, death, divorce, miscarriages' and long loss relatives. Its too much for one season. 

LOL now she is pregnant and doesn't know if its Jacks or her dead husbands. Of course.

Charmaine looked more pregnant last season. She barely looked pregnant. 

I did not miss Hope at all. 

I thought Lilly's illness went too quick. 

Hate Lizzie/Ricky storyline. I FF them.

If this kid is Docs grandson then who is his child?

Edited by backhometome
  • Love 3

I absolutely cannot stand the pacing/timing of this show. It's been three seasons, and about 3 months have passed? The past 2 seasons were 6 weeks (or less).  How does that much shit happen in just 6 weeks??!?  The writers/showrunners must make more logical and significant time jumps, or else Charmaine (and now Mel I guess) are going to be pregnant until 2034. 

I hate this show... yet can't stop watching, LOL. 

I love me some Martin Henderson, so I watch for him and the scenery.  I was so upset when Off The Map was canceled.  

• Love 7
(edited)
On 7/11/2021 at 6:21 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

My hope would be that there is no Hope in season 4, and that Doc ends up with Muriel down the road. 

Me too.  I like Muriel and can't stand Hope with her bitchy personality.  Apparently Annette O'Toole couldn't go to Canada because of the pandemic.  Does that mean that all the other actors live in Canada?  Even Martin Henderson, who's from New Zealand? Since this was filmed during the pandemic, why were there so many kissing scenes?  

Edited by DonnaMae
  • Love 1
On 7/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, ShortyMac said:

Pancreatic cancer grows quickly, and she was diagnosed at Stage 4. A matter of weeks left. 

She never looked like she was in pain.  Riding a horse didn't hurt her pancreas?

• Love 1
On 7/15/2021 at 10:19 PM, SHERMDOG said:

Ugh....the last 3 or 4 episodes at least moved along...but dang...can NOTHING be resolved? My GOD!!...Next season is pretty ify for me.

If you don't do Reddit you should.  The readers just crucify the show!  It's hilarious.

• LOL 2

Okay I actually like this show.  I don't have expectations of any kind --ANY KIND-- of any resemblance of reality in tv shows, so maybe that's why.   I also don't watch a lot of television at all.  Some embarrassing reality shows and a couple of other Netflix shows but that's it.  

That said, I have no idea whatsoever what Lizzie and Ricky bring to the table here.  So many plotlines that don't relate to one another at ALL.  

I also like Hope because she reminds me of one of my best friends, in such a wonderful way.  Really, my friend is quite delightful and funny and witty and the two even look similar.  BUT I can see how Hope would wear you down.  My friend has a better sense of self-awareness lol

I'm only on epi 8 (? Lily just died) and am putting off the rest of them until I'm emotionally available. (I cry at everything. Thanks, hormones). Definitely experiencing some rage at Charmaine not showing after being pregnant for 3 years or 6 months with TWINS as well as Todd, who is love bombing the shit out of her.  Caught myself yelling "I can recommend a good therapist, Charmaine! Get away from this dude!"  At a fictional character.  

• Love 6

Someone PLEASE answer this! I thought Brady was Jack's brother for the past 2 seasons. My mother who also watches the show, thought the same thing. So were we just imagining this? I am usually very good at following shows plotlines and knowing every little thing about the characters and the plot even when it doesn't make sense. So I am just baffled at how I came to the conclusion that Jack and Brady were brothers, when clearly that is not the case. Did anyone else think this?

Back to the overall show- the time line is super confusing. How have 3 seasons passed, and Charmaine does not look the least bit pregnant, Chloe is still an infant that looks maybe 6 months old, and Mel gets pregnant in the matter of what 2 days??

I thought Mel and Mark were doing IVF and it wasn't working. They were clearly having fertility issues so her being pregnant in basically 2 days when it seemed like they tried for months, possibly years, makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

Also if the timeline of the entire 3 seasons has only been about 3-6 months, then Mel and Jack being so in love and talking about babies and getting married is incredibly insane. 

This show is so frustrating. I pretty hate watch it, but it's like I can't quit it.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, marshmallows said:

Someone PLEASE answer this! I thought Brady was Jack's brother for the past 2 seasons. My mother who also watches the show, thought the same thing. So were we just imagining this?

I think they’ve always meant “brother” in the sense of the tight bond they used to have through their military service together rather than through blood.

Edited by sharifa70
  • Love 4
On 7/18/2021 at 5:31 AM, backhometome said:

This show continues to be ridiculous in the most soapy way. They always try to incorporate as many plots as they can. Date Rape, shootings, fires, death, divorce, miscarriages' and long loss relatives. Its too much for one season. 

LOL now she is pregnant and doesn't know if its Jacks or her dead husbands. Of course.

Charmaine looked more pregnant last season. She barely looked pregnant. 

I did not miss Hope at all. 

I thought Lilly's illness went too quick. 

Hate Lizzie/Ricky storyline. I FF them.

If this kid is Docs grandson then who is his child?

It's so soapy this season I keep feeling I need to continuously "rinse off" (turn the episode off.)

On 7/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, dubbel zout said:

Same. For some reason I have the idea that Jack has a sister, but I'm not sure if that's correct.

Jack has like 4 sisters, I think he said in season one.  (When someone commented about him being good with Baby Chloe, he said he has a bunch of nieces and nephews.)  One of the sisters is in season 3, and it's good that Brady is not a blood-brother, LOL.

• LOL 1
On 7/26/2021 at 11:41 AM, marshmallows said:

This show is so frustrating. I pretty hate watch it, but it's like I can't quit it.

Surely next year it will be in Primetimer's contest for "worst drama," "show you can't stop watching even when it's awful," and several other categories.

• Love 1
(edited)

What is the matter with these people that no one can keep a secret for more than 5 minutes?  Drives me crazy that “don’t tell anyone” means “immediately blab to anyone within earshot.”

I haven’t gotten to the last epi yet but from personal experience you cannot just drop in on your lunch break to get pregnant via IVF. It takes months of shots and pills and plenty of tests. Stupid writers. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 9

Total cluster & echo everyone’s sentiments about the soapy ridiculousness of all the plot points. But! Personally, Lilly’s death gutted me, and I thought it was so well acted and touching. I was angry about it because it was realistically sad (minus the relatively comfortable pancreatic cancer, which is brutal), while the rest of the show is a big treacly mess. I didn’t appreciate that terribly depressing reality check. 

I also hate that I’m supposed to root for annoying-as-hell Hope over Muriel. I hope she gets a love interest. And on a totally shallow note, is Jack’s nonshowing ex about 50 years old? That surprise pregnancy is as realistic as Mel’s drive-through IVF. 

• Love 5
On 7/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, Haleth said:

I haven’t gotten to the last epi yet but from personal experience you cannot just drop in on your lunch break to get pregnant via IVF. It takes months of shots and pills and plenty of tests. Stupid writers. 

Apparently the clinic never did any bloodwork either?   FFF she was already pregnant if it's Jack's kid.  

BUT if it is Jack's kid wouldn't an embryo transfer kill the embryo already there?????

• Useful 1

This season was a snoozefest literally for me until the last 3 episodes then it seemed like "Oh shit we'd better have something happen to bring people back".  I only studied how Charmaine dressed to effectively disguise a pregnancy as I carry my weight in the front and was accused not once but twice of being pregnant when I wasn't.  She does play a good passive aggressive bitch though.  I didn't miss Hope at all.  No reason for her not to call Doc at least to say I'm ok.  Even the eye candy of Jack couldn't keep me awake.  I did not see any scars when they had the gratuitous (not complaining ;)  shirtless scenes.  His hair bugged me though - the bright orangey highlights he had in the earlier episodes ruined the nice grey mixed with the dark.  Seriously Jack was concerned about providing for all of his children when the twins are being provided for by Charmaine's very rich husband and Mel's well paying job and newly discovered ability to be a benefactor made him break up with Mel?  I completely forgot about the frozen eggs when Mel announced her pregnancy to Jack and said to myself who the hell did she f&%@k and get pregnant so quickly?  Timelines were all over the place this series so I didn't know.  More time should've been spent on the Preacher storyline.  It seemed like it was jammed in at the very end.  They could've taken some time away from the Mel and Jack will they or won't they and it would not have made any difference.  As always the scenery steals the show.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/21/2021 at 8:53 AM, parrotfeathers said:

If you don't do Reddit you should.  The readers just crucify the show!  It's hilarious.

please link!!

Hope is not a joy to watch.  I know this is Annette O'Toole, but the over acting is a bit much and kinda nauseating for me.  Her storyline is annoying and why Doc wants to be with her is not believable.   Muriel is a much better fit.  And a couple I would enjoy watching.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Sunnykm said:

please link!!

Hope is not a joy to watch.  I know this is Annette O'Toole, but the over acting is a bit much and kinda nauseating for me.  Her storyline is annoying and why Doc wants to be with her is not believable.   Muriel is a much better fit.  And a couple I would enjoy watching.

I think this is how to do a link.  I discovered Reddit a few months ago when I started hating FB.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VirginRiverNetflix/

• Love 1

I watched this season over a couple of days, and aside from the wonky time line issues, I mostly enjoyed it. It's too bad Annette O'Toole couldn't be on the show in more than FaceTimes, but I thought the writers did a decent job of explaining Hope's absence. It went on a bit too long, but that's no one's fault. Hope's accident gave Tim Matheson some nice moments.

Muriel still seems too involved in Doc's life, but he's got to be the one to tell her that. 

I knew Lilly was going to die as soon as she went upstairs for her nap. That whole story was handled pretty well. Mel must have a decent amount of cash lying around if she can set up a trust that has enough money to support Tara and Chloe for years. I know her living expenses in Virgin River are lower than in L.A., and she probably got a decent life insurance settlement from Mark's death, but still. Her salary at the clinic can't be too high. But money is always a plot point with these kinds of shows.

The Mel/Jack relationship is always one step forward, two steps back, and it's mostly kind of irritating to me. They talk things out without every really talking things out. I was annoyed that everyone was slagging Jack for not feeling equipped to deal with two families. "You'll change your mind" is a really insulting thing to say. He's allowed to panic, especially when Charmaine's extremely controlling fiancé/husband wants to go to the nuclear option of erasing Jack from his kids' lives. 

The young kids whose names I'm not going to look up are boring. The girl makes some good points but in the snottiest possible way, and the boy needs to grow up and start talking to the girl. Yes, telling people what you want can be hard, but you do it or else you end up a doormat. 

Preacher's story with Christopher is sweet and boring at the same time. It's dragged on too long. I'm glad he and Jack are finally going to be partners in the bar, though. That was long overdue.

Brody and Paige? Eh. That's another story I don't really care about. I also don't really care who shot Jack or why. I do hope Paige sticks around. I like her and the actress. She gives Mel a relatively outside perspective and is a contemporary Mel can talk to.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

t's too bad Annette O'Toole couldn't be on the show in more than FaceTimes, but I thought the writers did a decent job of explaining Hope's absence. It went on a bit too long, but that's no one's fault. Hope's accident gave Tim Matheson some nice moments.

Muriel still seems too involved in Doc's life, but he's got to be the one to tell her that. 

I don't agree because I don't like Hope and would be happy to see her gone next season.  She has a miserable personality, and I think Muriel is the one who should be Doc's partner.

4 hours ago, DonnaMae said:

I don't agree because I don't like Hope and would be happy to see her gone next season.  She has a miserable personality, and I think Muriel is the one who should be Doc's partner.

Team Muriel St. Claire 

• Love 2

As soon as Paige's friend came out with drinks, I knew.

I forget, did Mel have a stillbirth w/her husband??

Brie- SHE WAS 6 MONTHS PREGNANT AND DIDN'T KNOW?!!

I thought people carrying more than one baby got huge pretty quickly.

I have a thought. Yes, IVF takes a long time before you can ever implant because of test and hormones and whatnot. So...my guess is that the message she was reading on her phone was the results of her first round of bloodwork to assess her baselines and where her hormone levels were. But surprise! She’s pregnant! Which would mean it was natural and it’s Jack’s. If it wasn’t for that stupid reveal of “I don’t know if you’re the father”. So there goes my theory. 

I feel like Mel has been in town for  maybe 4-5 months? Which should make Charmaine huuuuge by now. She’s a nutcase, by the way. Todd is bad news, and I still hope Jack insists on a paternity test because what if they’re not his kids? Charmaine probably had side boyfriends because she that crazy. 

Ricky and Lizzie. Grow up and get off this show. Brady, I totally believe is being set up by Mike. And can someone please turn Calvin in? He’s so quintessentially the Big Bad Drug Dealer that gets away with all the conniving things that he’s not even believable as a character anymore. Hope...not sure here. I don’t like her character at all. But I hate to wish her dead just because of that. I have no idea why Doc loves her. Muriel is over the top, can’t decide about her yet  

One of those ladies does know how to knit, I was watching her technique and it was legit. But the rest? Nope. 

I’ll admit I did not see it coming with Paige’s friend drugging Preacher. What’s the point? And if Paige has just admitted she pushed her ex down the stairs, things would have come together because it turns out the cops do finally know he’s bad dude. Ugh. Life lesson from everyone’s rotten storylines: communicate and tell the freaking truth. It’s better than trying to dodge trouble by lying. 

It’s getting ugly and messy and bloated with characters and storylines that all seem to try and be important. I’ll still watch if there is a season 4. 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:58 AM, bijoux said:

I watched the first one and man, that ending isn't going to get Mel into birthdays. However, it's basically the only thing that happened.

Real talk now, how many people take a day off on their birthday? I associate zero traumatic experiences with mine and enjoy the ones that fall on a weekend or Easter when the stars collide so I don't have to work, but I never thought about not going to work because of it. I just take in some food for my co-workers and get on with it. People were acting like Mel going into work was a big, hairy deal. Why?

I had an epiphany in my 20s that if I could sleep in and wake up relaxed on a bunch of dead guys birthdays, I should do the same on my own. I haven't been super strict about it, but since my birthday comes in that period between President's Day and Memorial Day, there have definitely been years where I took the time to engage in some self-care. But I'm kind of a lunatic - back when I was single and living alone, I used to buy stuff for myself throughout the year, wrap it and store it in my closet so I'd have a nice birthday and Christmas haul. Mel is completely not my kind of self-involved. 

• Love 2

I didn’t enjoy Season 3 as much.

1. I really missed Hope, though I understand the predicament the actress found her in due to the Pandemic.
2. There were a lot of pregnancy related storylines and I thought it was really selfish of Mel to spring on Jack wanting a child when he’s still wrapping his head around having twins.

3. Charmaine looked much more pregnant last season than this one. That didn’t make sense to me.

4. Not invested in the Preach and Paige story since it feels too rushed. I knew the so-called friend had drugged him as soon as she handed him the soda.

I did enjoy Brady, though I am not sure how I feel about Jack’s sister; love Lizzie and Ricky; and Doc.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Tabbygirl said:

There were a lot of pregnancy related storylines and I thought it was really selfish of Mel to spring on Jack wanting a child when he’s still wrapping his head around having twins.

THANK YOU!!!  I came here to say the same thing.  It really made me dislike Mel.  The dude is in a difficult position of having twins with an idiotic woman and Mel starts crying about wanting him to have a baby with her too??  For real??  How about putting on a muzzle at least until the kids are born?  Ugh.  I found this highly annoying.  

I'm a little halfway through the season and I came here specifically to try to be spoiled.  It's just too frustrating to watch.  I seriously thought I had read in another post that Charmaine miscarried the twins so I keep waiting for it to happen.  I don't think it does now so I'm kind of over the series.  

Speaking of Charmaine, in what world would this handsome, extremely wealthy and powerful single man settle on HER???  Some low rent old brood who isn't even likeable and to top it off, is pregnant with another mans' babies (plural!!).  The only way it makes sense is if he is an abuser and she's an easy mark.  

I just couldn't take it when she traipsed off to her brand new Range Rover and said to Jack, "isn't it cute"?  She probably doesn't even know what it is.  She wanted a Kia and was disappointed when the Range Rover showed up.    

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, Rlb8031 said:

I had an epiphany in my 20s that if I could sleep in and wake up relaxed on a bunch of dead guys birthdays, I should do the same on my own. I haven't been super strict about it, but since my birthday comes in that period between President's Day and Memorial Day, there have definitely been years where I took the time to engage in some self-care. But I'm kind of a lunatic - back when I was single and living alone, I used to buy stuff for myself throughout the year, wrap it and store it in my closet so I'd have a nice birthday and Christmas haul. Mel is completely not my kind of self-involved. 

@bijoux I always take my birthday off and usually treat myself to a massage. I see it as the one day of the year that is truly yours to celebrate you.

On 7/18/2021 at 4:52 PM, ShortyMac said:

Pancreatic cancer grows quickly, and she was diagnosed at Stage 4. A matter of weeks left. 

Lily had no obvious physical decline. That did not seem right with a cancer diagnosis unless she died of a sudden heart attack.

The actress who plays Charmaine is 50 years old? Did someone up-thread mention something about 50 when referring to Charmaine? I guess I just didn't "get it" when that was said. I never would have guessed the actress is 50.

Speaking of Charmaine, what the hell is she thinking?! First she gets engaged to an obnoxious jerk she’s known less than a month. Then he unilaterally decides where they’ll live, which upsets her, as it would any sane person, so she dumps him… oh, wait, no, she MARRIES HIM RIGHT AWAY JUST BECAUSE HE SAYS SO. This woman seriously has multiple screws loose. Todd the Blowhard is going to end up isolating her and beating her up. Not that I care what happens to her, but those poor twins… and you just know she’ll go running to Jack again and he’ll drop everything and go rescue her. He seriously needs to learn to say no.

I always assumed that since Mel wasn't supposed to be able to have children that Charmaine would die in childbirth, and then Mel and Jack would raise the twins. That's the cleanest way to get rid of Charmaine and give Mel the babies she always wanted. But apparently they want to drag this Charmaine thing out indefinitely, and it's tedious how pathetic she is. It's pretty clear to me she deliberately got pregnant in order to trap Jack in the first place. And even if Jack is not granted joint custody, I can't imagine any judge denying him visitation rights to his own children. So on top of everything else Charmaine is delusional to think Jack won't be part of their lives.

As for Jack, he's got twins on the way he wants desperately to be a father to, and now his girlfriend is pregnant with a baby that may or may not be his. And even if it's not, he will surely end up raising it with her, since the other potential father is dead. For someone who never intended to have children, he's got more than he knows what to do with.

But honestly, Mel and Jack are just exhausting, and I'm not on board for an entire season (or more) of Mel keeping Jack at arm's length (or vice versa) because she doesn't know the paternity of her child.

• Love 3
On 7/15/2021 at 11:19 PM, SHERMDOG said:

The ONLY reason I would watch is  for Tim Mathewson!! He's just the bees knees!!

We're 3 seasons into this show and Bad Baby Mama STILL isn't even showing yet. The hell? How the hell is it possible that everything we've seen happen on this show happened in the span of like maybe 3-4 months? We've literally seen one woman give up her late in life miracle baby due to Post partum, get her back, and then die of a terminal illness all within the span of a few months.

I liked Jake's sister but then they got into the backstory and I was just like, "Does EVERY character have to have some kind of tragic backstory?" In this case not only did she have a miscarriage, but it was a miscarriage after she got raped. I do, however, like Brie's chemistry with Ben Hollingsworth and I kind of want to see where this goes.

The convenient evil twin plot was so eye-rolling. The first season spent so much time building up the bad guy husband for Paige to be running from, only to immediately kill him off in the second season, and then they bring back in an identical brother? 

• Love 2

Very late to the party, but I recently ran out of shows and figured I’d give this one a shot. I liked the early premise, which seemed like a soapy small town medical drama with great views (and I liked Mel’s personality compared to Jack’s blank milquetoast disposition), but then realized in mid season 1 that Mel barely did medicine or interacted with Doc. The nonstop, incoherent Charmaine/Jack/Mel drama, coupled with the weird teenager angst, in season 2 was boring and wrecked the show.

Then season 3 happened. Hoo boy. Lillie’s newborn from early season 1 is still a non-walking, non-talking infant, which means only a small handful of months have passed, but Mel and Jack are genuinely talking about being soooo in love and having a baby together?? I couldn't buy into their story, even if I still wanted to. I just don't understand the slow passage of time mixed with breakneck-speed relationship drama. The only positive thing I can say about season 3 is that the show is far better without Hope's negativity and mind games.

Was there ever anything explained about why Michael Shanks was apparently (?) playing Paige’s husband in season 1 but was quickly replaced…and then Shanks’ real-life wife (Lexa Doig/Paige) was immediately written off and never to be seen again? I thought that was weird. And it's weird that Paige sent her kid to live with Preacher and no one really questioned it.

• Love 2
On 4/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, dovegrey said:

Then season 3 happened. Hoo boy. Lillie’s newborn from early season 1 is still a non-walking, non-talking infant, which means only a small handful of months have passed, but Mel and Jack are genuinely talking about being soooo in love and having a baby together?? I couldn't buy into their story, even if I still wanted to. I just don't understand the slow passage of time mixed with breakneck-speed relationship drama. The only positive thing I can say about season 3 is that the show is far better without Hope's negativity and mind game

Yeah, there's  that and Charmaine looking like she's still in her 2nd trimester at most. It's absolutely ridiculous that this entire series has taken place only in a few months. Then there's Lillie having post-partum depression after her miracle 50-something pregnancy and then dying of terminal cancer a few months later. I know cancer can move fast, but seriously no one caught it while assuming she would have undergone physical/hormonal blood work/examinations for her post-partum? If they were going to kill her off like this, they might as well have made it turn out that Lillie knew that she was dying and that's why she tried giving up the baby. Plus, why the hell did they have Mel read her elder daughter's eulogy? Stacey Farber is a fabulous actress and I really can't help but think they didn't let her read it to make sure the focus always remains on Mel. It's fucking ridiculous to have Mel read the eulogy for a woman she barely knew for a few months when the woman's daughter was right there. Saying the daughter is "too devastated" doesn't cut it for me. 

On 5/10/2022 at 1:08 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Yeah, there's  that and Charmaine looking like she's still in her 2nd trimester at most. It's absolutely ridiculous that this entire series has taken place only in a few months. Then there's Lillie having post-partum depression after her miracle 50-something pregnancy and then dying of terminal cancer a few months later. I know cancer can move fast, but seriously no one caught it while assuming she would have undergone physical/hormonal blood work/examinations for her post-partum? If they were going to kill her off like this, they might as well have made it turn out that Lillie knew that she was dying and that's why she tried giving up the baby. Plus, why the hell did they have Mel read her elder daughter's eulogy? Stacey Farber is a fabulous actress and I really can't help but think they didn't let her read it to make sure the focus always remains on Mel. It's fucking ridiculous to have Mel read the eulogy for a woman she barely knew for a few months when the woman's daughter was right there. Saying the daughter is "too devastated" doesn't cut it for me. 

Reading your post, urged me to look up Stacey Farber. It has been bugging me that I have seen this actress before. Butlers in Love is a Hallmark movie she was the lead. In fact, lots of these actors and actresses have been in Hallmark movies, including Alexandra Breckenridge, the actress who plays Mel.