Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E16: No One Is To Blame

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Obviously, an Uber/Lift driver behaving like Eddie's did is unacceptable and discriminatory, but what happens if a driver has their own physical limitations that preclude them getting Eddie's wheelchair into and out of the vehicle?

They at least stop and explain why they can't pick them up, or see if the person is capable of transferring into the vehicle on their own? Just blowing past them is every kind of wrong.

• Love 6

They should change the name to A Million Little Things You Can Buy at Target and get it over with.

I will always and forever be Team Katherine. After putting up with Eddie acting like a child for years, missing the birth of their son, cheating on her, getting his mistress pregnant, criticizing her for being a working mom, attacking a neighbor’s car in front of Theo, ruining their finances- a few mean looks here aren’t going to sway me.

5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

They at least stop and explain why they can't pick them up, or see if the person is capable of transferring into the vehicle on their own? Just blowing past them is every kind of wrong.

I never heard of a driver stopping and trying to excuse or explain, but maybe some do. And if they stopped and listened, they could lear that it is not a big deal.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

They should change the name to A Million Little Things You Can Buy at Target and get it over with.

I will always and forever be Team Katherine. After putting up with Eddie acting like a child for years, missing the birth of their son, cheating on her, getting his mistress pregnant, criticizing her for being a working mom, attacking a neighbor’s car in front of Theo, ruining their finances- a few mean looks here aren’t going to sway me.

I agree.  Eddie is just too much.  Katherine seems hung up on how she wants Eddie to be, but not who he really is.  He talks a good game, but in his core....it’s not good, imo.  If he’s applying for husband, what a resume. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, circumvent said:

I knew the idea wasn't original. I am not sure i watched the commercial you mentioned, since I don't watch TV at all (only streaming stuff) but maybe I did because as the guy satrted talking I already knew the end of it. 

I don't think I saw the Pepsi commercial until it hit the news. If I did, I didn't register it (I don't pay much attention during commercial breaks), and I would not have recognized KJ.

I can assure you I have no idea who came up with the concept or who directed it. Though this is a soap opera so I can see them having it get out that a black man directed it because drama. I hope they go the route of him getting it changed instead.

Edited by ams1001

I think this KJ commercial aired only once, and I think it may have been during the Super Bowl. Although my beloved Kansas City Chiefs were playing, my friends and I had already turned off this year's SB because it wasn't even a game. So I missed that commercial. Didn't even know about it until I saw it pop up on the CinemaSins' YouTube channel. And, yeah, it was bad. But I found out that yeah, people complained.

I was also thinking about other commercials that give people the heebie jeebies. Like the Quiznos commercial with those sponge monkey things that aired back in the day. I think a lot of people complained about these commercials and it was quickly pulled. The one thing commercial sponsors do not want to do is to make potential customers cringe or give them the heebie jeebies. 

The real life commercial made people upset and it never aired again. This fake commercial should do the same. Or it will be a big hit because AMLT reasons. But, the only commercial director's name I even know is Michael Bay, and there are other reasons for knowing his name other than the fact that he was a commercial director in the '90s.

• Love 1
(edited)

16 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Tyrell needs to have a seat. As Rome pointed out, doing this [absolutely ridiculous] commercial isn't much different from when Tyrell was selling candy bars. You do what you have to do in order to take care of your family and keep the lights on. I guess Tyrell has never considered how many adults have jobs they don't like because they have mouths to feed. Or maybe he just thinks that people genuinely enjoy scrubbing toilets or taking your order at Burger King.

Indeed people do. But with their involvement with BLM protests, and their own life experiences which include Gina still recovering from the injuries she received, this particular job is a complete repudiation of everything Rome believes in and stands for. Yeah, people do it, but I can very much see how Tyrell would be upset after he and Rome experienced what they did and started working on a documentary about it.  I don't think his take is to not take any job - just not this one. Seeing the man who essentially rescued him and who he holds in high esteem, despite the smack talk, is a huge fall from grace from his perspective. Is he a bit annoying, absolutely. But he is, after all, a teenager, who can e pretty dramatic when they're upset.

10 hours ago, NickyB1975 said:

Anyone else wondering why Delilah has not returned yet?  Seems pretty weird that she just ups and leaves her kids that long and keeps Charlotte away from Eddie that long too.  The poor little kid is going to know who her family is when they return.  What is up with the writing this season?

As I recall, she was in France with her father, who fell and broke his hip (I think) so she had to stay until he recovered.

7 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Unless you are contributing financially to the household, shut up Tyrell. He is being very entitled and not grateful of his situation at all. The commercial is bad yes but the only ones to get any heat on it will be the company and the celebrity promoting it. No one cares about the director or any non-famous actors involved.

Maybe not publicly - but within the industry it will be known.  The same industry that Rome needs if he wants to sell or distribute his documentary. This commercial, as is, will definitely damage his credibility and reputation when it comes to the documentary.

I don't think Rome is going to do the commercial as is. I think he'll either a) turn it down again or b) discuss it in depth with the guy and possibly propose a different, non-offensive approach.

On the topic of Katherine and Eddie. When I was divorcing my first husband, those first few months after we separated we were neither of us completely ourselves. We sniped at each other and were bitter, and our divorce was a simple one - just incompatibility. Obviously when there are children involved, you should try to keep most of the nastiness away from the kids  - which I think Katherine has mostly done. So I don't think she's particularly nasty, just in the first heat of a terrible time of life where anger and grieving are a toxic mix.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, circumvent said:

I never heard of a driver stopping and trying to excuse or explain, but maybe some do. And if they stopped and listened, they could lear that it is not a big deal.

I had no idea this was even a thing - it kind of boggles my mind. But my post was a preposed response to 'what happens if the driver has a legitimate physical reason for not picking up a person in a wheelchair'. 

57 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
11 hours ago, NickyB1975 said:

As I recall, she was in France with her father, who fell and broke his hip (I think) so she had to stay until he recovered

Yep. And irl, the actress lives in NY and they film in Canada. She couldn’t cross the border for filming but needed to stay near her family.

2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Indeed people do. But with their involvement with BLM protests, and their own life experiences which include Gina still recovering from the injuries she received, this particular job is a complete repudiation of everything Rome believes in and stands for. Yeah, people do it, but I can very much see how Tyrell would be upset after he and Rome experienced what they did and started working on a documentary about it.  I don't think his take is to not take any job - just not this one. Seeing the man who essentially rescued him and who he holds in high esteem, despite the smack talk, is a huge fall from grace from his perspective. Is he a bit annoying, absolutely. But he is, after all, a teenager, who can e pretty dramatic when they're upset.

As I recall, she was in France with her father, who fell and broke his hip (I think) so she had to stay until he recovered.

Maybe not publicly - but within the industry it will be known.  The same industry that Rome needs if he wants to sell or distribute his documentary. This commercial, as is, will definitely damage his credibility and reputation when it comes to the documentary.

I don't think Rome is going to do the commercial as is. I think he'll either a) turn it down again or b) discuss it in depth with the guy and possibly propose a different, non-offensive approach.

On the topic of Katherine and Eddie. When I was divorcing my first husband, those first few months after we separated we were neither of us completely ourselves. We sniped at each other and were bitter, and our divorce was a simple one - just incompatibility. Obviously when there are children involved, you should try to keep most of the nastiness away from the kids  - which I think Katherine has mostly done. So I don't think she's particularly nasty, just in the first heat of a terrible time of life where anger and grieving are a toxic mix.

I see both sides of thinking.  Everyone is being annoying, but they have reasons we may need to consider.

On a shallow note, Gina's poodle bangs may be because her hairstyling skills are impaired by her concussion.  Delilah's hair is probably COVID-19 lockdown in France related.

• Love 3
On 6/2/2021 at 7:04 PM, historylover820 said:

Wow. Target ad within 3 minutes

There is white text mouse print at the end of each episode that says something like "Promotional Consideration Provided by Target."  Although the show would do better by announcing, "A Million Little Things, brought to you by Target."  Like the old soap operas used to do when they were sponsored by soap!

• LOL 2
31 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

There is white text mouse print at the end of each episode that says something like "Promotional Consideration Provided by Target."

Just in case we hadn't noticed the super-obvious product placement?

• LOL 1
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Well, yeah, that product placement hits you right in the bull's eye!  But I guess they acknowledge it's a thing, and not a sneak, because they would surely be sued if they didn't use approved product placement endorsements.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

Wow. I completely forgot about Charlie! Talk about tunnel vision on Eddie's part. 

I hate when I like a show but start to hate everyone in it. Do writers do this on purpose? Katherine went through hell and back forgiving Eddie and Deli-doo doo, only to be crapped on again and again. And now there is nowhere for her to go on the show. If her only connection to the rest of the cast is that weird baby child, bummer. 

There is nothing Sophie can do legally to bring her teacher to justice. Inappropriate is not the same thing as illegal. He is a tool, but I don't think he actually broke any laws besides indecent exposure? And if it was not in public, I guess even that doesn't stand. I despise social media, regularly having to apologizing to friends for not knowing what they ate for lunch, but since people seem so addicted to exposing themselves, Sophie should just expose him. Disgracing him would probably do the most harm.  

On a super shallow note, Regina's weird poodle bangs are hideous. 

Without physical proof blasting him on Facebook opens her up to a long list of potential legal ramifications. Definitely not the route she should take.

15 hours ago, NickyB1975 said:

On the last episode Regina says she is in no condition to be head chef because of her concussion and she is prepared to let the restaurant go.  This just made me shake my head.  Girl- you got a concussion not permanent brain damage. She’s acting like she is now disabled for life.  Give me a break!  This was so far out into left field that they totally lost the ball.
John made sure she had the restaurant and now they’re going to just let it fail (like her previous restaurant) because she has a boo boo.  I find it insulting for those who truly are working hard to stay afloat from Covid.  Worst writing I’ve seen since Day 1.  Come to think of it - the writing all season has been poor.

Why does she have to be the head chef for the restaurant to be in operation? I didn't understand this at all. Is she the only chef in the city?

9 hours ago, circumvent said:

I didn't mean to multiquote this box and have no idea how to get rid of it. Maybe I could find a book at TARGET that could help me understand how to better use message boards ;) 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, JayDub1987 said:

Without physical proof blasting him on Facebook opens her up to a long list of potential legal ramifications. Definitely not the route she should take.

Why does she have to be the head chef for the restaurant to be in operation? I didn't understand this at all. Is she the only chef in the city?

I didn't mean to multiquote this box and have no idea how to get rid of it. Maybe I could find a book at TARGET that could help me understand how to better use message boards ;) 

Yeah, it's called defamation of character.  Apparently Sophie has forgotten about the pic she took of herself and sent to Peter Teacher, who surely still has it along with his text to her stating that her sending that pic was inappropriate and he is terminating their teacher/student relationship, good luck with the rest of your life.

Why hasn't Regina called at least Katherine who is in Boston to get advice or help on the restaurant that three of them own, thanks to Jon Dixon?

How are y'all pronouncing Target to yourselves:  the English way or the French way?  😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

The Conners handles it foolishly, but they at least had people wear masks. How fucking awful and irresponsible do Katharine and Alan look just headed out on a date without masks? NONE of them are wearing masks EVER! It is absolutely bonkers for a show that made as big of a deal about dealing with COVID as this show did. Holy shit, show, pick a lane. It's just embarrassing as hell. 

I feel like a lot of shows wrote COVID in because they wanted the drama and then ignored it when it was inconvenient.

IRL, Alan and Katherine never would have formed a relationship because they would have been in lockdown and not having business meetings in person. I don't even know why they had Katherine going into her office earlier this season, since she could have easily worked at home. I guess she figured she was alone in the office so it wasn't a big deal?

9 hours ago, historylover820 said:

I think this KJ commercial aired only once, and I think it may have been during the Super Bowl. Although my beloved Kansas City Chiefs were playing, my friends and I had already turned off this year's SB because it wasn't even a game. So I missed that commercial. Didn't even know about it until I saw it pop up on the CinemaSins' YouTube channel. And, yeah, it was bad. But I found out that yeah, people complained.

I was also thinking about other commercials that give people the heebie jeebies. Like the Quiznos commercial with those sponge monkey things that aired back in the day. I think a lot of people complained about these commercials and it was quickly pulled. The one thing commercial sponsors do not want to do is to make potential customers cringe or give them the heebie jeebies. 

The real life commercial made people upset and it never aired again. This fake commercial should do the same. Or it will be a big hit because AMLT reasons. But, the only commercial director's name I even know is Michael Bay, and there are other reasons for knowing his name other than the fact that he was a commercial director in the '90s.

You may have seen the commercial when it went viral because of all the backlash. I think it actually got pulled for the air.

The AMLT version probably will be a hit because Rome will work his magic on it or something.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

image.png.7e949823691ea18c11fe9014fd954b55.png

image.png.4226e4c03ce549b60779f041843bf901.png

Merci!

10 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I feel like a lot of shows wrote COVID in because they wanted the drama and then ignored it when it was inconvenient.

IRL, Alan and Katherine never would have formed a relationship because they would have been in lockdown and not having business meetings in person. I don't even know why they had Katherine going into her office earlier this season, since she could have easily worked at home. I guess she figured she was alone in the office so it wasn't a big deal?

You may have seen the commercial when it went viral because of all the backlash. I think it actually got pulled for the air.

The AMLT version probably will be a hit because Rome will work his magic on it or something.

The Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial is all over YouTube.  Still.

• Love 2

I pronounce Target the English way. But I worked at Target for a year between getting my bachelor's degree and going on for my master's degree. And I don't have the best memories of that place. I still go because you can either go to Wal-Mart or Target, and you can just get more things at Target. But, no, I don't want to give it more class by pronouncing it the French way.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, historylover820 said:

I pronounce Target the English way. But I worked at Target for a year between getting my bachelor's degree and going on for my master's degree. And I don't have the best memories of that place. I still go because you can either go to Wal-Mart or Target, and you can just get more things at Target. But, no, I don't want to give it more class by pronouncing it the French way.

I thought pronouncing Target as Tar-jay was tongue-in-cheek as a joke.  Also, it depends on what things you're shopping for as to which big box has more.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yeah, it's called defamation of character.  Apparently Sophie has forgotten about the pic she took of herself and sent to Peter Teacher, who surely still has it along with his text to her stating that her sending that pic was inappropriate and he is terminating their teacher/student relationship, good luck with the rest of your life.

Why hasn't Regina called at least Katherine who is in Boston to get advice or help on the restaurant that three of them own, thanks to Jon Dixon?

How are y'all pronouncing Target to yourselves:  the English way or the French way?  😄

Yes! Defamation of Character. I kept thinking slander but I knew that wasn't right. Thanks!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

Why is Regina doing so much multitasking? She had a concussion. Why isn’t she doing one thing at a time or getting help on things? The chef could've helped her with the loan application. It looks as if Regina is treating her concussion as if she tripped and fell on her butt and isn't getting the proper rest.

Do the writers have any basic idea on how to run a restaurant? Do they think we forget about the MIA co-owner? Why can’t they let Delilah share some responsibilities with Gina in managing Someday. There are tasks that can be done remotely, like filling-up a loan application and following-up on its status. Delilah can manage banking/staff payroll/vendors payment/social media stuff remotely while in France. I always assume that Gina is responsible for the operational side of Someday and Delilah handles the financial/admin side.

Delilah has been given an unthinkable amount of leeway in this show, it’s sickening. And they wonder why we hate her so much, geez! 🙄

• Love 9
16 hours ago, circumvent said:

In this case, it was a van, so it does not apply. The wheelchair Eddie has fits in a Mini. I was picked up from the airport with my friend once. We had her chair, one big suitcase and two smaller bags. It was tight, but nothing, or nobody, was left behind for lack of space. I believe the apps have a way to request accessible transportation for the wheelchair users that cannot transfer, or for large, motorized wheelchairs. My point is that it is common because disability is still something people don't understand, don't get educate on. They just assume it is a burden, or dangerous, or that they can be liable for hurting people, I don't really know. Or they are just unwilling to stop and load the chair - which is not only a discrimination, it is a jerk move.

Sometimes. it is not just a case of lifting a wheelchair into a vehicle, but lifting the passenger, too.  Not all drivers are knowledgeable about how to help someone transfer into a non-adapted vehicle and not all people in wheelchairs are physically capable of transferring into a standard vehicle seat without assistance.  It sucks, but it does happen.  In the case of a van without a lift, I'd expect that Eddie would need significant physical assistance to transfer to the much higher passenger seat and would need to be lifted into the seat from his chair which requires significant physical strength. I think most drivers who don't want to carry disabled passengers are simply worried that they cannot provide the assistance a disabled passenger needs and might injure them.  I don't think that they're as concerned about liability as they are about accidentally hurting someone.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

On a shallow note, Gina's poodle bangs may be because her hairstyling skills are impaired by her concussion.

So this probably isn't a good time to tell y'all I cut bangs and now look exactly like Regina when I wear an updo? I really like the poodle bangs and was happy to see her rocking them this episode 😬 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Sometimes. it is not just a case of lifting a wheelchair into a vehicle, but lifting the passenger, too.  Not all drivers are knowledgeable about how to help someone transfer into a non-adapted vehicle and not all people in wheelchairs are physically capable of transferring into a standard vehicle seat without assistance.  It sucks, but it does happen.  In the case of a van without a lift, I'd expect that Eddie would need significant physical assistance to transfer to the much higher passenger seat and would need to be lifted into the seat from his chair which requires significant physical strength. I think most drivers who don't want to carry disabled passengers are simply worried that they cannot provide the assistance a disabled passenger needs and might injure them.  I don't think that they're as concerned about liability as they are about accidentally hurting someone.  

Or the driver could injure themselves.  As a non-car service driver but self-employed independent contractor in another field, I know that you don't have an employer to pay your medical insurance or Workers' Compensation coverage; you're on your own.  I carried my professional liability insurance which protected my clients' property and their pets' veterinarian bills, but everything I suffered at the hands, feet or mouths of the critters I cared for was on me.  There is no sick leave or paid vacations or no co-workers for backup for independent contractors.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The Kendall Jenner Pepsi commercial is all over YouTube.  Still.

And yet I couldn't find it. I saw her preening in front of her phone and shopping but the post was six years ago.

What the heck weird ad happened???

15 hours ago, deaja said:

Yep. And irl, the actress lives in NY and they film in Canada. She couldn’t cross the border for filming but needed to stay near her family.

I wish they wouldn't let her cross the border at all. Nasty Delilah returns? Ugh. 

People doubted that The Conners could succeed without Rosanne. Turns out they can!

What part can she possibly play that doesn't disrupt another character? I hope the stupid writer destroys her like he enjoyed destroying Katherine.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Sometimes. it is not just a case of lifting a wheelchair into a vehicle, but lifting the passenger, too.  Not all drivers are knowledgeable about how to help someone transfer into a non-adapted vehicle and not all people in wheelchairs are physically capable of transferring into a standard vehicle seat without assistance.

True. But apps must have an option for people who cannot transfer, or need assistance, and there is always the old and not enough applied matter of being part of a community. Nobody should touch a wheelchair without consent, but ask, offer help, or say that sorry, I am not comfortable doing this is 100% ok. The writers didn't explored how much Eddie can do on his own but some people are excellent at transfer, in a way that really blows my mind.

But yes, those are real issues and that's why disability rights should be part of curriculums. Not even medical schools teach anything disability rights related (not diagnosis, but how a body moves, and how to talk to disabled people)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, circumvent said:

True. But apps must have an option for people who cannot transfer, or need assistance, and there is always the old and not enough applied matter of being part of a community. Nobody should touch a wheelchair without consent, but ask, offer help, or say that sorry, I am not comfortable doing this is 100% ok. The writers didn't explored how much Eddie can do on his own but some people are excellent at transfer, in a way that really blows my mind.

But yes, those are real issues and that's why disability rights should be part of curriculums. Not even medical schools teach anything disability rights related (not diagnosis, but how a body moves, and how to talk to disabled people)

I think law suits keep many from wanting to help. I work in a medical office but clerical and not allowed to help anyone out of a car or in a car. Someone called us from parking lot once and they said no, and sent a PA. If I dropped them etc. many times the thank you would turn into a law suit. I feel awful but it's not my call. I don't know with ubers but that should be stated and there should be "medical taxis" as we have in my area that can accommodate chairs or be lower for walkers etc.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, debraran said:

I think law suits keep many from wanting to help. I work in a medical office but clerical and not allowed to help anyone out of a car or in a car. Someone called us from parking lot once and they said no, and sent a PA. If I dropped them etc. many times the thank you would turn into a law suit. I feel awful but it's not my call. I don't know with ubers but that should be stated and there should be "medical taxis" as we have in my area that can accommodate chairs or be lower for walkers etc.

I don't think it applies to this situation because the user requested the ride, so a simple courteous conversation can go a long way. Wheelchair users don't like people touching them unnecessarily, and the ones that can get unintended harmed are not going to be transferred, they would have to request an accessible car. But even if fear of a lawsuit is what prevents people from stopping for disabled passengers, it only emphasizes the need for more education and more humane interaction. How hard would it be to have a short conversation with someone to make sure both understand the limitations, fears, concerns? 

54 minutes ago, circumvent said:

I don't think it applies to this situation because the user requested the ride, so a simple courteous conversation can go a long way. Wheelchair users don't like people touching them unnecessarily, and the ones that can get unintended harmed are not going to be transferred, they would have to request an accessible car. But even if fear of a lawsuit is what prevents people from stopping for disabled passengers, it only emphasizes the need for more education and more humane interaction. How hard would it be to have a short conversation with someone to make sure both understand the limitations, fears, concerns? 

I agree. I didn't see that part but did Eddie tell them his had a chair? That would make a huge difference .

• Love 5
2 hours ago, debraran said:

I agree. I didn't see that part but did Eddie tell them his had a chair? That would make a huge difference .

THIS.  It shouldn't be a surprise to the driver!  Yes, his driver should have stopped and had a conversation, but if Eddie had specified he needed a car that had room for a chair and could help him get in, it wouldn't have happened.  There's a reason taxi apps have a place for "SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS."  If ride shares don't, then Eddie should be ordering taxis.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, debraran said:

1 hour ago, izabella said:

THIS.  It shouldn't be a surprise to the driver!  Yes, his driver should have stopped and had a conversation, but if Eddie had specified he needed a car that had room for a chair and could help him get in, it wouldn't have happened.  There's a reason taxi apps have a place for "SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS."  If ride shares don't, then Eddie should be ordering taxis.

We don't see that which is also typical of TV. It is still very rare that shows have a drop of curiosity about disabilities to do any basic research. They throw things there and don't care about representation, accuracy or anything else, really. Unless it is pity/inspiration porn. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

So this probably isn't a good time to tell y'all I cut bangs and now look exactly like Regina when I wear an updo? I really like the poodle bangs and was happy to see her rocking them this episode 😬 

As Alie Ward of the Ologies podcast says, Life is short, cut bangs and text your crush.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, BoogieBurns said:

I really admire people who take chances with hair styles. The last time I did this was when I was 14 - got a perm, I am old. It didn't look too bad in the beginning and I had bangs but after a while I couldn't barely look at myself in the mirror. Never tried bangs again. Kudos to you, enjoy the looks!

• Love 2
9 hours ago, circumvent said:

I agree that the van driver should've stopped and told Eddie the reason he or she was not comfortable providing transportation, and, as you said, there are varying levels of disability as well as varying levels of skill amongst those with physical issues.  While an app can ask about transfers, etc., it is almost impossible for an app to include every scenario. It is weird that, if Eddie's car service allowed him to declare he was a wheelchair user, that the driver wouldn't stop since he is young and looks fairly strong and seems much more likely to have some ability to do his own transfers than someone who is elderly or appears more frail.

I work in health care, in outpatient services.  We frequently have people with significant physical limitations who come for exams (it's the sort of specialty care that requires specific non-portable equipment, we cannot make house calls for most things).  We can and do help with lifting and  transfers of people who need it, we're trained in how to do it safely and have some basic equipment like electric exam tables as well as tables that can hold a lot of weight.  However, we once had a person, brought from a care facility on a gurney with a single attendant.  The patient weighed well over 400 lbs and was unable to assist in any way .None of us were comfortable  that we could safely transfer to the exam table without a lot more help than was available. We had to do the best we could on the gurney which was not optimal.  The family later complained to the Ombudsman that we should've had a Hoyer lift in our office to use in these situations.  A Hoyer lift is a mechanical device to lift/transfer  patients and to purchase one able to lift over 400 lbs would cost at least $2000.  If we had one, it would get used no more than a couple times a year and someone would have to maintain it and we'd have to store it someplace when not in use 99% of the time.  Not practical. If the person who scheduled the appointment been more forthcoming about the exact nature of this person's needs, we could've let them know we didn't have the ability to provide the service and helped them find an answer.  

So, while I think an app might help, I'm skeptical that it would be enough.  And, as others here have pointed out, Uber, Lyft and even plain old Yellow Cab drivers are independent contractors and would not have Worker's Comp or PTO should they be injured trying to assist someone and end up unable to work and unable to pay the bills.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, izabella said:

THIS 100%.

Also, ride shares are different from taxis.  Taxi cab drivers have Medallions and are employees of the taxi company.  Lyft and Uber and the like are a different business model and structure.

Eddie definitely should be ordering accordingly and alerting any potential driver of the need to accommodate his wheelchair.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Love 3
56 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

I agree that the van driver should've stopped and told Eddie the reason he or she was not comfortable providing transportation, and, as you said, there are varying levels of disability as well as varying levels of skill amongst those with physical issues.  While an app can ask about transfers, etc., it is almost impossible for an app to include every scenario. It is weird that, if Eddie's car service allowed him to declare he was a wheelchair user, that the driver wouldn't stop since he is young and looks fairly strong and seems much more likely to have some ability to do his own transfers than someone who is elderly or appears more frail.

I work in health care, in outpatient services.  We frequently have people with significant physical limitations who come for exams (it's the sort of specialty care that requires specific non-portable equipment, we cannot make house calls for most things).  We can and do help with lifting and  transfers of people who need it, we're trained in how to do it safely and have some basic equipment like electric exam tables as well as tables that can hold a lot of weight.  However, we once had a person, brought from a care facility on a gurney with a single attendant.  The patient weighed well over 400 lbs and was unable to assist in any way .None of us were comfortable  that we could safely transfer to the exam table without a lot more help than was available. We had to do the best we could on the gurney which was not optimal.  The family later complained to the Ombudsman that we should've had a Hoyer lift in our office to use in these situations.  A Hoyer lift is a mechanical device to lift/transfer  patients and to purchase one able to lift over 400 lbs would cost at least $2000.  If we had one, it would get used no more than a couple times a year and someone would have to maintain it and we'd have to store it someplace when not in use 99% of the time.  Not practical. If the person who scheduled the appointment been more forthcoming about the exact nature of this person's needs, we could've let them know we didn't have the ability to provide the service and helped them find an answer.  

So, while I think an app might help, I'm skeptical that it would be enough.  And, as others here have pointed out, Uber, Lyft and even plain old Yellow Cab drivers are independent contractors and would not have Worker's Comp or PTO should they be injured trying to assist someone and end up unable to work and unable to pay the bills.

Actually Yellow Cab taxi drivers are employees.  If you sue the driver, your lawsuit is filed against Yellow Cab, and they defend the lawsuit, pay the judge or jury verdict or settlement.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Rootbeer said:

The place where you work is doing its best but again, the problem is the system., Universal design is not a new idea, it is really, really old. If there were the will of public and private organizations to invest in accessibility, this conversation would not even be necessary. It is the reality in 99% of the world. 

Imagine if all business plans included accessible equipment and maintenance. The initial investment would be higher but only for the pioneer companies. Then it would be the norm, prices would go down. There are several studies and projections, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that cannot be done with creativity and will. The way it is now, a patient who weights 100 lb has trouble finding a GYN with a table that lowers to a level she can transfer. It is a little better these days, but still not the standard.

Eddie is in Boston, I never took a cab in Boston but I did take one in DC that had a ramp for a wheelchair. I had some good experiences with Uber too (one bad experience only, I used them only a few times) but in general it is better with cabs. 

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Eddie definitely should be ordering accordingly and alerting any potential driver of the need to accommodate his wheelchair.

We don’t know whether Eddie has been truthful when creating his user profile. His special need should have been indicated in his profile for potential drivers to see prior to accepting his request.

Sloppy writing?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

We don’t know whether Eddie has been truthful when creating his user profile. His special need should have been indicated in his profile for potential drivers to see prior to accepting his request.

Sloppy writing?

Speaking of user profiles, why is Alan on the fictional Flir10 dating app?  I thought he was pursuing Katherine, who he knows is married with a child, and was dealing with her drama on her terms.  Suddenly he's done with waiting?  He was probably on that app all along and thinking Katherine would just melt into his tattooed arms.

• Love 4
On 6/4/2021 at 2:18 PM, CrystalBlue said:

There is white text mouse print at the end of each episode that says something like "Promotional Consideration Provided by Target."  Although the show would do better by announcing, "A Million Little Things, brought to you by Target."  Like the old soap operas used to do when they were sponsored by soap!

On 6/4/2021 at 2:50 PM, ams1001 said:

Does anyone remember that Shawn and Gus on Psych had fun with their product placements!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Speaking of user profiles, why is Alan on the fictional Flir10 dating app?  I thought he was pursuing Katherine, who he knows is married with a child, and was dealing with her drama on her terms.  Suddenly he's done with waiting?  He was probably on that app all along and thinking Katherine would just melt into his tattooed arms.

Maybe he had a friend put him on the way Katherine did? Or he created his profile awhile back and never took it down?

I got curious about ride shares and wheelchair access, so I looked at my Lyft and Uber Apps. Lyft has an option in settings to turn on "wheelchair access". So I would assume that is something drivers could see and decide if they are able to accommodate the rider.  I didn't see a similar setting on Uber, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have it too. 

More annoying was that no one was wearing a mask in that scene. I am fairly certain Uber and Lyft were requiring drivers and passengers to wear masks in summer 2020. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Maybe he had a friend put him on the way Katherine did? Or he created his profile awhile back and never took it down?

I got curious about ride shares and wheelchair access, so I looked at my Lyft and Uber Apps. Lyft has an option in settings to turn on "wheelchair access". So I would assume that is something drivers could see and decide if they are able to accommodate the rider.  I didn't see a similar setting on Uber, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have it too. 

More annoying was that no one was wearing a mask in that scene. I am fairly certain Uber and Lyft were requiring drivers and passengers to wear masks in summer 2020. 

You're right, they were.  They also had a requirement that the windows had to be down a certain amount, which made for an uncomfortable Lyft ride for me because my hair was flying around in like I was stuck in a wind tunnel in the backseat, and my allergies acted up, with my mask on.  The driver was pissy about it when I asked him to please roll up a window, so he got no tip from me.

4 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Yeah, maybe Alan's assistant put up his profile and pic and he was as surprised as Katherine was when she mentioned it.  That's his story and he's sticking to it.

• Love 2
(edited)
17 hours ago, circumvent said:

The place where you work is doing its best but again, the problem is the system., Universal design is not a new idea, it is really, really old. If there were the will of public and private organizations to invest in accessibility, this conversation would not even be necessary. It is the reality in 99% of the world. 

Imagine if all business plans included accessible equipment and maintenance. The initial investment would be higher but only for the pioneer companies. Then it would be the norm, prices would go down. There are several studies and projections, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing, that cannot be done with creativity and will. The way it is now, a patient who weights 100 lb has trouble finding a GYN with a table that lowers to a level she can transfer. It is a little better these days, but still not the standard.

Eddie is in Boston, I never took a cab in Boston but I did take one in DC that had a ramp for a wheelchair. I had some good experiences with Uber too (one bad experience only, I used them only a few times) but in general it is better with cabs. 

I am slightly under 5' tall - nothing, I mean nothing, in doctor's offices  or other places, fits me. I was fortunate to be able to get a good chair at work, otherwise where ever I go, the chairs, sofas, examining tables, none of it is comfortable for me. My feet dangle when I'm sitting on examining tables or chairs, in the waiting rooms in order to keep my feet on the ground, I sit without touching the back of the chair, which kills my back. Don't get me started on tall chairs in restaurants. The new chairs my dentist installed are ergonomic for "normal" people, but the head rest actually hurts my neck. For many years, getting a mammogram required the tippy toes of a ballerina. Thankfully, that has now changed.

So if it's hard for someone who is just slightly outside the norm in height, I can't imagine how difficult it is for people who need more accommodations.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

Please don’t go, Darcy!  ARGH...  The thought of a Gary and Maggie reunion makes me sick.  

I don’t particularly like Darcy, but I really don’t like Maggie. 
This show has some seriously unlikable characters.

3 hours ago, tinderbox said:

Please don’t go, Darcy!  ARGH...  The thought of a Gary and Maggie reunion makes me sick.  

3 hours ago, deaja said:

I don’t particularly like Darcy, but I really don’t like Maggie. 
This show has some seriously unlikable characters.

I couldn't agree more!  I'll not that fond of Darcy but she and Gary together work fine.  Maggie, however, I can't stand in general and her with Gary is even worse.

The proportion of unlikable characters to likeable ones is seriously bad in this show.

• Love 2