Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Resting Devil Face

The evolution of the relationship between Amenadiel and Lucifer is one of my favourite things about the show.  Their opening scene was great.

"I'm sure everything will turn out fine."

"Yes, that's what you said about the dinosaurs!"

That whole scene was hilarious.

The kiss-and-miss scene between Lucifer and Chloe was funny as well as sad and believable.  I hope they resolve their issues soon.  Like Trixie, I hate seeing Chloe upset.

• Love 9
(edited)

This episode confirmed a belief that I think many had-Maze doesn't need to be given a soul, because she already has one.  Watching the look on her face as she realized that was amazing.  These celestials have all changed during their time on earth, and Maze certainly has.  I've been rooting for her all season-perhaps now she won't be so hard on herself.

The "Dan exploding" scene was gross.  I thought it was just Dan that imagined it, but it turned out God did blow him to bits, then put him back together.  I really like, BTW, Dan being in on the celestial thing.

Trixie is a smart cooke.

Edited by StarBrand
Forgot to add something.
  • Love 5

Trixie sharing a sandwich with God was awesome but I'm disappointed we didn't get any sort of confirmation Trixie knows Lucifer's the devil. Quite the opposite since she repeated the "he left for Florida" story. I thought after getting the story of Lillith's mortality for Maze that meant she knew the score. 

Exploding Dan made me flinch. I thought it was Dan's imagination so I didn't think he was really dead, it was just unexpected and gross. 

• Love 2

I really, really liked the conversation with Trixie and Linda.  Linda is such an MVP of managing the crises (big and small) of this little group. 

16 hours ago, pootlus said:

"I'm sure everything will turn out fine."

"Yes, that's what you said about the dinosaurs!"

That whole scene was hilarious.

Agree that this was an A+ exchange.  And now I’m going to say something to contradict myself.  As was the case with the first episode of this back half, I’m not 100% on board with Lucifer’s constant petulant outbursts towards his dad in every. single. scene.

Like, there are so, so many issues swirling around Lucifer:  thinking his father doesn’t love him, thinking that his father is controlling or manipulative, thinking that he is broken as a result of God (who “loves all”) not being able to love him and how that makes him too broken to love and be loved by Chloe (which I am still raising an eyebrow at after everything they’ve been through, but that’s what we’re going with).

And to see Lucifer dealing with all that heaviness by sputtering out all these annoyed exclamations (at both God and Amenadiel) in every scene they were in together (and Lucifer also expressing annoyance at Trixie and acting huffy about his dad when Chloe was trying to confide in him) was a bit ... much?  It’s not that I’m disappointed, but more like I’m feeling that the show is missing its highest potential so far on this point of Lucifer having a final reckoning with his unresolved family issues.  We’ll see, though.

• Love 2

I think it's completely in character for Lucifer to be sarcastic and childish when he's trying to confront emotional issues though.  Was he annoying and selfish?  Sure, but I don't think he's ever going to completely grow out of that.

• Love 4

At the end of the first half of the season, I wasn’t happy they’d brought god into it literally, as a character, but I’m enjoying him.  

I’ve always thought that Maze had a soul. Her bonding with Trixie and Chloe, proved that.  As did her being as tortured as Lucifer. 

I cracked up at god passing out, and I liked Lucifer being protective of him.  Still pissy, but I think recognizing that he could actually lose him, will do something.  It’s easy to be petulant when you think he’s never going anywhere.  

• Love 4
(edited)

Honestly, I wasn’t feeling this one.  I didn’t like God as a human.  He put the investigation and himself in danger (& possibly Chloe & Dan).  I did love his scenes w/Ella, Trixie & Maze.  
Dan exploding was hilarious.  Only because I thought 1) he was dreaming, then 2) he was put right back together.  But I don’t understand why God felt the need to torment Dan, then told him he didn’t care who his ex slept with at the end.  Why torment him, then?  
Is he getting lessons from Chuck? LOL

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Dan exploding was hilarious.  Only because I thought 1) he was dreaming, then 2) he was put right back together.  But I don’t understand why God felt the need to torment Dan, then told him he didn’t care who his ex slept with at the end.  Why torment him, then?  

I didn't take it as him torturing him. It was established that God is a jealous God and that his powers have been out of control. Also he said right after that he meant to put Dan back together, but that doesn't mean he purposely made him explode. He expressed to Trixie and Maze that he'd come to some realizations, that he'd learned things and grown (I don't think he was only talking about his children and humans, but himself as well). So his change of attitude with Dan after his day of realizations tracks as likely one of the many he had. 

I really liked Dan and Chloe's talk regarding Trixie, and Chloe's conversation with Trixie. They're a great example of parents trying to do their best by their child. 

While I appreciated God keeping his powers with family... babies lose toys all the time. Leaving all of that with a baby seems like a not 100% good idea. Though I suppose it depends on if he decided to leave it with the baby before or after he made himself human... still... yikes. I guess I'm too human to wrap my brain around it. ha

• Love 4

Poor Dan got blown up by God!  Sure, he was put back together, but he at least still remembers some of it apparently, so that's going to be sticking with him for a bit.  I'm glad that he did finally stand up for himself at the end, and God does seem ready to move on from it, even though he clearly is going to enjoy messing with him still.  But Dan is honestly handling all of this celestial stuff pretty well.  He's even trying to make sure that he and Chloe do their best to prepare Trixie and her morality, and make sure she starts off on the right foot and doesn't earn herself a spot in hell!

After the last two cases going in somewhat unexpected directions (for me, at least), this was a bit more obvious since they got two "known" guest actors here, and once it was obvious that Teri Reeves/The Colonel was the red herring, the killer could only really be the doctor played by Catherine Dent, since she only had one scene before and she's a big enough name to be more than just a day player.

God making himself human for a day was fun and it was entertaining watching him try out of some of his own creations and learn about some of the downsides (brain freeze!), but he really did screw things up at the sting, and was lucky that Lucifer was able to dispatch everyone with ease.

Unbeknownst to her, Ella finally met God! 

Maze considers killing God while he is human, but doesn't go through with it, and is now considering his words that maybe a demon could actually grow a soul.

God is planning on retiring?!

• Love 2

I loved this one.

God as a human was great, especially the brain freeze part (it hurt, he did it again and it hurt) and when the colonel hit him in the face ("OWWWW!!!!).

I knew Maze grew her own soul; it was obvious in the way she cared about people and falling in love with Eve.  

So who really thinks God is going to retire? 😄

• Love 1
(edited)

Ella being into boxing totally makes sense. 

Wow they are really running with the puns. 

God being human is a good idea, but putting the sting at risk was just juvenile. 

I like how Dan is processing everything. I'd be asking a lot of questions too. I don't like him being kind of a punching bag. 

I was psyched to see the devil face. 

I always like Trixie/Lucifer because he doesn't condescending her. 

I liked the weird monologue from the Colonel about the lack of diversity in drugs. 

Blink and you'll miss - the boxing gym had a Diablo poster. 

One thing I do like about the move to Netflix is you get a good scene like at the train station. Network would have had that edited due to time constraints. 

About time Maze got a soul. She's the only one on earth or if the celestials that hasn't benefitted from living on earth. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 3
(edited)

I really like Dan being in all the celestial shenanigans. All things considered, he is actually handling it pretty well while still being appropriately freaked out. Then of course the poor guy gets accidently blown up and put back together by God, because that's the kind of luck he has. 

Meanwhile, Ella gets to meet God and has no idea. At least he appreciates her prayers. God cosplaying as a human was fun, although maybe he shouldn't leave the source of his unlimited cosmic power with the baby next time. God also had a really nice scene with Maze, I have always thought that she has a soul since the show started, like just about every celestial that hangs out on Earth she has changed a lot and grown to care about others in a way that she didn't before. Maybe its possible for any demon to get a soul if they work at it, and that was always a part of Gods greater plan? Mysterious ways and all that. 

What would everyone on this show do without Linda and her insight? 

A lot of good one liners this week, and the opening with the Imagine Dragons song was hilarious. "My hair is majestic and you know it." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4

I think the point of the scene with god and Maze was that the actual miracles aren't his per se, or he left 'rogue code' out there like the One in the matrix, and that living on earth with the actual humans is why/what they happen. 

• Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I think the point of the scene with god and Maze was that the actual miracles aren't his per se, or he left 'rogue code' out there like the One in the matrix, and that living on earth with the actual humans is why/what they happen. 

I agree.  He said they could all learn and grow beyond what they had been before, and even as God, He still could stand to learn a thing or two.  And he was right about Maze, she was fine the way she was, He couldn't give her a soul because she already had one of her own.

On 5/31/2021 at 5:22 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Blink and you'll miss - the boxing gym had a Diablo poster. 

I actually somehow saw that the first time I watched...

Edited by StarBrand
  • Love 3

One thing I didn't like is that they are making Trixie younger than she looks. 

I would expect some more mature reactions and conversations from her. The actress is 13, so almost puberty. And Trixie is 11. Does not look like a big difference, but I think it is

• Love 1
On 5/28/2021 at 11:36 PM, pootlus said:

I think it's completely in character for Lucifer to be sarcastic and childish when he's trying to confront emotional issues though.  Was he annoying and selfish?  Sure, but I don't think he's ever going to completely grow out of that.

My issue with it isn't so much that it's out of character, but that it's redundant. Ellis probably learned the script in five minutes. "Daaaaaaad" drink something, rinse, repeat.

• Love 1

I think the brain freeze was probably my favorite part, lol. And Lucifer finally yelling at him, "Stop drinking it so fast!" Heeee.

I liked the God/Trixie conversation, loved the big moment for Maze (yes!!!), and loved that Ella finally met God, even though she didn't know it. Somehow I wondered if he'd been in his full form, would she have recognized the light and almighty in him, the way she saw light and then darkness in Charlotte?

• Love 1