Type keyword(s) to search

Now Arriving...: Small Talk

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Comparison topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

• Love 1
On 5/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, shapeshifter said:

There's no "Small Talk" thread for this show, and maybe it's just as well, since, as you have correctly observed, many a discussion about religion "usually ends bad." I will just end my thoughts on the subject by noting that there are some interesting interpretations.

14 hours ago, ohjoy said:

As it turns out, there is actually supposed to be a Small Talk topic — it seems the previous one has disappeared, so I’ve made a new one, located here. Please feel free to take further religious and other show-adjacent discussion there. Thanks!

Thanks for creating the thread, @ohjoy, and for clarifying Board guidelines and giving your approval for such discussions.

Here are the relevant posts that preceded my post above:

On 5/26/2021 at 8:58 AM, shapeshifter said:
On 5/26/2021 at 8:39 AM, circumvent said:

I am curious: do religious people really believe that the Noah's Ark was real? The story of the Ark as it is told in the Bible (and the Quran) didn't happen, it would have been impossible. 

Having had quite a few religious friends in the 80s and 90s, I think some do unquestioningly accept a lot of stories like Noah's Ark as historical fact --especially those who were "raised in the church" and even more so among the subset of that group who never attended college. 
But for a lot of religious people who revere the bible, I think it's more of a "God inspired" allegory.
Often the shorthand manner of speaking about bible stories and verses makes it impossible to tell the difference between those who believe the stories to be literal and those who see them as allegorical --and that shorthand then serves as a kind of glue to keep the congregation together.