Type keyword(s) to search

Archer : In The Media

nymusix
  • Start Topic

Never fear, fellow Danger Zone members - we'll get at least another 26 episodes of our beloved show! No word yet on whether or not they will be Archer Vice or Archer Classic. But either way, I can't complain about a sixth and seventh season. 

• Love 1

Never fear, fellow Danger Zone members - we'll get at least another 26 episodes of our beloved show! No word yet on whether or not they will be Archer Vice or Archer Classic. But either way, I can't complain about a sixth and seventh season. 

In an interview before this season, Adam Reed seems to indicate it will be something new again, possibly them all in prison: http://www.avclub.com/article/archer-creator-adam-reed-talks-about-blowing-up-hi-200818

Well, the events of the last episode point towards a way for The Intelligence Agency Formerly Known as ISIS to get back in the good graces of the American government. Or at least blackmail their asses out of the Danger Zone.

• Love 1

If they do get back in the spy business, I hope they change the name of the company, in light of the real-world goings on in Iraq.

I would guess not; only because their is only one true Isis (and it's not in the Middle East) ;-)

As the stories about IS keep getting worse, and they become ever more obviously a bunch of sadistic, psychotic, depraved children, then I think dropping ISIS from Archer makes sense.

And yeah, they're lucky that the last season ended with them coming under the CIA's umbrella, to give them a consistent narrative excuse to drop the name.

There are so many companies called ISIS that are going through problems because of this. But, really, who calls the group ISIS? Does ISIS call itself ISIS? Do even the English-speaking members who communicate to other English speakers call it ISIS? Wikipedia certainly doesn't. What about organizations with the acronym IS? Are they in trouble?

Why couldn't we be like the French and start calling them Da'esh? Or call them The Stepped-Upon.

There are so many companies called ISIS that are going through problems because of this. But, really, who calls the group ISIS? Does ISIS call itself ISIS? Do even the English-speaking members who communicate to other English speakers call it ISIS? Wikipedia certainly doesn't. What about organizations with the acronym IS? Are they in trouble?

Why couldn't we be like the French and start calling them Da'esh? Or call them The Stepped-Upon.

I'm sure there are companies who have image problems because their names are similar to terrorist groups, or disasters, or any number of things that the public has a negative view on. But I know that when I first heard the talk of ISIS in the Middle East, I immediately thought of Archer.

I've no idea what fanciful title they use for themselves at the moment, and I don't really care. They're ignorami who are in this for nothing other than shedding the blood of anyone they don't like. Da'esh is a start, and they deserve all the contempt in the world, but I think it'd be hilariously apt if the whole world just settled on a particular pejorative term for these psychotic thugs. Scum, cavemen, or even better, something that offends their supposed Islamic sensibilities (of which, it has been demonstrated by scholars who actually know something about Islam, these idiots have little) to the core.

Edited by Danny Franks

I've no idea what fanciful title they use for themselves at the moment, and I don't really care. They're ignorami who are in this for nothing other than shedding the blood of anyone they don't like. Da'esh is a start, and they deserve all the contempt in the world, but I think it'd be hilariously apt if the whole world just settled on a particular pejorative term for these psychotic thugs.

That is  just it, though. I have no idea what...Da'esh calls themselves because I have tried to steer clear of their propaganda. It is one thing if they have referred to themselves as ISIS on a regular basis when addressing English speakers. It is another if they have not been doing that. If they have not, then it is not their fault that Archer had to change the name of the organization. It is someone else's fault entirely. The is responsible for many terrible things; Archer and other real-life companies facing branding problems may be their doing, but it also may not be. If the Da'esh had been branded with the name Archer for whatever reason, then Archer would be truly screwed.

Many in the Arab world who have rejected the Islamic State have come to call it Da'esh or Daesh. France has too. It relates directly to the group but, apparently, they don't like it. In summary, the term is:

a) Specific to particular terrorist group, as opposed to a vague non-descriptor.

b) Hugely insulting on multiple levels, and particularly towards a group like this.

c) Already adopted by many in the Muslim world who are opposed to this group.

I feel that those are good enough reasons to start calling them Daesh. If, however, you consider that to be only a good start, then fine. I am not sure that "cavemen" is necessarily a better name, though.

As far as I understand, ISIS is an acronym for the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria ( hence, ISIS) and their alternative name is The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant  (hence ISIL). Either way, for any company to be associated with them, through any means, even if its a misnomer, would be bad for business. And yeah, they do call it that. 

Edited by TVSpectator

I was wondering if that was going to be an issue. I would've gone to the panel last night to find out first-hand, but it was late and I wanted to get home at a reasonable hour. That, and the wristbands to get in were already snapped up.

I've seen Archer cosplay . . . this is a picture I took yesterday. Also, I saw a Pam today. Key bits to finding a Pam: pearls and a dolphin hand puppet on her person.

• Love 1

I was wondering if that was going to be an issue. I would've gone to the panel last night to find out first-hand, but it was late and I wanted to get home at a reasonable hour. That, and the wristbands to get in were already snapped up.

I've seen Archer cosplay . . . this is a picture I took yesterday. Also, I saw a Pam today. Key bits to finding a Pam: pearls and a dolphin hand puppet on her person.

I like the Dr. Keiger one (and also his bride).

I myself have this hand puppet:

http://www.amazon.com/Aurora-World-10-Dolphin-Puppet/dp/B006UPI07E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413080708&sr=8-1&keywords=Dolphin+Hand+puppet

I didn't hate Archer: Vice, but I did hate certain recurring elements of it. Pam, in particular. It also wasn't really as funny as previous seasons.

So hopefully this season will be a return to form. As for Krieger possibly being a clone, I hope that's not the case. I liked original Krieger, and it seemed like they were teasing the idea in the season 5 finale, but made it fairly clear that it was real Krieger.

I didn't hate Archer: Vice, but I did hate certain recurring elements of it. Pam, in particular. It also wasn't really as funny as previous seasons.

So hopefully this season will be a return to form. As for Krieger possibly being a clone, I hope that's not the case. I liked original Krieger, and it seemed like they were teasing the idea in the season 5 finale, but made it fairly clear that it was real Krieger.

At first I did like that Pam lost a lot of weight, due to crack, but in the end I did find her crack addiction to be more annoying than funny. 

As with Krieger, he was already a clone to begin with. He was a clone of Hitler, that was raised in South America (thus he was one of the boys from The Boys from Brazil), and later he meet his clone "brothers" and defeated them (hopefully) and is still alive with the old ISIS crew (hopefully)

Edited by TVSpectator

At first I did like that Pam lost a lot of weight, due to crack, but in the end I did find her crack addiction to be more annoying than funny. 

As with Krieger, he was already a clone to begin with. He was a clone of Hitler, that was raised in South America (thus he was one of the boys from The Boys from Brazil), and later he meet his clone "brothers" and defeated them (hopefully) and is still alive with the old ISIS crew (hopefully)

Well yeah, he was a clone to begin with, but what I meant was that Krieger, the clone who had worked for ISIS since the start of the show, is the one that I want to still be around. Because he has pre-existing relationships with the other characters, and with his fiance and his van. And his various Pigleys.

Yeah, it'd be amusing to see a different clone trying to play along and understand all the stuff that the rest of the gang says to him, but there's not a whole lot more to the joke than that.

The promos were funny, but I don't get Cheryl's. What's the significance of Candy and Rubber cement? Was she huffing the rubber cement? Did she have the munchies from weed? Maybe I'm just slow. Or old.

Io9 has shown us a pretty nifty infograph about Archer's (or any character that you can click on) sexual partners (I also linked David Lee's website, which was another linked from the article):

"Archer Net" is a simple and elegant visualization which connects our favorite Archer characters based on their hookup history. It was created by David Lee, an urban planning PhD candidate at MIT. Here's how Lee described the process of making the infographic to me:

And here is a link to the stunning masterpiece:

http://visualizing.org/full-screen/508408/embedlaunch

Damn. Between this and Conan, I really should have watched Mad Max: Fury Road. Also: I can't see Archer getting that geeked out over Star Wars.

Oh, and Archer has been nominated for Best Animated Series at the Emmys. Maybe the second time will be the charm for the show. The submitted episode was "Pocket Listing." You think the sound of erections brushing against fabric would be a factor either way?

I'm really going to miss him in Archer, but hope they don't replace him. I'm afraid the voice won't be right if they replace him, and I'll just miss him more. I didn't realize who played Woodhouse, and have seen him throughout the years in many things. He had a long career in the industry.