Type keyword(s) to search

Katie and Travis: Young Love?

• Start Topic

I don't find it shocking that Katie's homesick. But it is what it is. She'll need to find away to adjust. Many 18 year olds are homesick during the first few months of college and they figure it out.

Since working is out, Katie can hone her cooking skills, go for walks with her dog, explore the area, learn a hobby other than SM, etc.

I'm glad I saw the videos, while they are mildly disturbing it looked like horseplay that went on a bit too long. Some families think guys should be tough, and many use less than healthy ways to toughen up their boys, but it doesn't mean they're abusive.

• Love 5

While I agree that an 18-year-old away from home and family for the first time being homesick isn't uncommon, I think the bigger concern and distinction here would be the surroundings and the coping options.  If Katie was a college student, she'd have other co-eds in the dorms also in the same boat that could relate. She'd have choices when it came to the people she socialized with. (For example, you can join a different club; if you don't like your college roommate, you can switch at certain times; and if the school atmosphere just isn't a good fit, you can transfer at the end of the semester to a different university) but in Katie's world you can't associate with those outside your fundie world, you can't switch churches, and you certainly can't get a divorce.  So if she did just marry into an abusive environment, there's little hope for getting out. Maybe even less now that the show won't be around to possibility shed some light or expose such conditions. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Peanut6711 said:

While I agree that an 18-year-old away from home and family for the first time being homesick isn't uncommon, I think the bigger concern and distinction here would be the surroundings and the coping options.  If Katie was a college student, she'd have other co-eds in the dorms also in the same boat that could relate. She'd have choices when it came to the people she socialized with. (For example, you can join a different club; if you don't like your college roommate, you can switch at certain times; and if the school atmosphere just isn't a good fit, you can transfer at the end of the semester to a different university) but in Katie's world you can't associate with those outside your fundie world, you can't switch churches, and you certainly can't get a divorce.  So if she did just marry into an abusive environment, there's little hope for getting out. Maybe even less now that the show won't be around to possibility shed some light or expose such conditions. 

And she might be pregnant. 

• Useful 1

Both of Katie’s sisters in law work at the family school, IIRC, and neither seem to be pregnant so far. I think all three Clark siblings all got married in 2021, but no honeymoon babies yet. Not sure why Katie can’t work but maybe she earns enough as an influencer? She seems to do a lot of makeup posts but not sure what other content she has. 

• Love 2

Kate and Travis posted a video of their new house.  I don't think that remodeled basement conforms to code, so I doubt they had the work inspected. There is no egress window in the guest room, and I don't even think the basement has an outside door.

Travis has the largest television I have ever seen.

• Useful 5

I don't know if any of you follow Katie or watch her stories, but in today's offerings she's going on about how their house is so bare because she can't find the right decorations and it's so hard, blah, blah, blah....followed by an amazing discovery of a new rug and the accompanying discount code. She's clearly waiting for sponsors to contact her and give her free shit. I'm not knocking the hustle, but I find the lack of honesty a bit grating. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I don't know if any of you follow Katie or watch her stories, but in today's offerings she's going on about how their house is so bare because she can't find the right decorations and it's so hard, blah, blah, blah....followed by an amazing discovery of a new rug and the accompanying discount code. She's clearly waiting for sponsors to contact her and give her free shit. I'm not knocking the hustle, but I find the lack of honesty a bit grating. 

Well, now that the show is canceled, she's got to make hay while the sun shines.  What little personal notoriety she had is going to be fading fast.  She needs to grift while the grifting is still good.  Otherwise, she'll end up like JRod and the other impoverished fundies: shopping for furniture at the Goodwill.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Otherwise, she'll end up like JRod and the other impoverished fundies: shopping for furniture at the Goodwill.

Thankfully for Katie she married into a family that owns a K-12 school, and a university. I think they will never be like the Rods.

• Love 4

Katie's wedding dress odyssey. Starts around the 4:00 minute mark. 

https://youtu.be/7zvRGhiNyho

Also, a screen shot from Reddit. The dress looked like absolute shit. This is before Miss Renee tried to fix it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BringingUpBates/comments/splah0/katies_botched_wedding_dress/

Katie showed a quick shot of the "after" and Renee did the best she could, but there was no salvaging it. I can totally understand why Katie ended up starting over.

Note to self: This is why you pay for quality and don't shop at janky boutiques just because they're giving you a discount 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5

These Bates girls sure have gotten big for their britches.  Look back at Erin, Alyssa and Whitney's first wedding dresses.  Katie's dress seemed the same quality as theirs.  Guess that's just not good enough for them anymore.  Will be interesting to see what Addie & Ellie will get in 5-6 years when they get married.  Will the money still be readily available for a second dress if the first doesn't work out?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Katie's wedding dress odyssey. Starts around the 4:00 minute mark. 

https://youtu.be/7zvRGhiNyho

Also, a screen shot from Reddit. The dress looked like absolute shit. This is before Miss Renee tried to fix it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BringingUpBates/comments/splah0/katies_botched_wedding_dress/

Katie showed a quick shot of the "after" and Renee did the best she could, but there was no salvaging it. I can totally understand why Katie ended up starting over.

Note to self: This is why you pay for quality and don't shop at janky boutiques just because they're giving you a discount 

One of the first questions answered on the YouTube Q&A was about children. Interesting that both Travis and Katie said they want children but in the future not now. Refreshing that a Bates girl has enough sense or at least listened to her husband to know that marriage, moving, new house and getting adjusted to living a totally different life is enough for now. Maybe getting away from the Bates helped her realize that she doesn't have to start popping out babies ASAP. But time will tell.  She is also dealing with homesickness and Travis seems to be supportive of her. At least in this interview she let him speak. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I think it's great that they want to wait before having kids. I still think she'll have an "announcement" within about 2-3 months!

So basically they met after he slid into her DMs...they were never alone before marriage, and they have very different backgrounds and personalities. I wish them luck because they're gonna need it.

I'm glad Kelly insisted that Katie find another wedding dress. She absolutely deserved something better after that FL dress shop screwed her over. It really worked out in the end.

• Love 4

It seemed like in their Q&A that the answer to the question about biggest adjustment after wedding was something like “we can actually touch each other” but they knew they couldn’t say that. They sort of looked at each other and smiled and mumbled something about oh now we’re together all the time. Their courtship appears to have been stricter than most of the other Bateses. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I think it's great that they want to wait before having kids. I still think she'll have an "announcement" within about 2-3 months!

I'm glad Kelly insisted that Katie find another wedding dress. She absolutely deserved something better after that FL dress shop screwed her over. It really worked out in the end.

Agree and Agree 

I expect an announcement when Katie and Travis head to TN for "I Love You Day" with the requisite "Omg, this is such a surprise!." The Bates girls don't seem to get that unprotected sex leads to pregnancy. 

With regards to the dress, I know the Bates girls can be princess-y and vain, but I absolutely do not fault Katie for buying a second gown. No bride wants to walk down the aisle in a dress she hates, especially one who's being filmed for tv. Also this wasn't a case of Katie simply changing her mind, her dress didn't come in as ordered and was botched by the Florida boutique. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8

Looks like Katie and the entire Clark clan are heading to Cabo. This could be why I Love you Day was postponed?? The school the Clark family owns/works at must be on a break. Isn’t Cabo where Trav and Katie honeymooned?

• Useful 4
On 2/14/2022 at 8:12 AM, ozziemom said:

Isn’t Cabo where Trav and Katie honeymooned?

I don’t know if it was Cabo, but definitely a resort in Mexico. Katie has an IG story of her and Travis horseback riding on the beach. Something they did during their honeymoon. I wonder why the Clarks chose Cabo so close to their honeymoon.

Katie is wearing what we all would wear for the activity, a dress. I’d have bailed by now, so suffocating. I’ve noticed when Katie posts meals they have guests (6 large burgers, way too many fries for two). So they spend Sundays together, have dinner together, go shopping/Top Golf together, and vacation together. I understand Katie is lonely but darn, that is a lot of togetherness.

The Clarks do not come across as happy go lucky folks. Maybe they are annoyed when Katie films them, and that is all I get to see. Will the family vacations be mandatory? What if K&T just wanted to vacation elsewhere? What if they want a just the two of them vacation? I don’t know this young lady but feel sorry for what’s ahead. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, SMama said:

I don’t know if it was Cabo, but definitely a resort in Mexico. Katie has an IG story of her and Travis horseback riding on the beach. Something they did during their honeymoon. I wonder why the Clarks chose Cabo so close to their honeymoon.

Katie is wearing what we all would wear for the activity, a dress. I’d have bailed by now, so suffocating. I’ve noticed when Katie posts meals they have guests (6 large burgers, way too many fries for two). So they spend Sundays together, have dinner together, go shopping/Top Golf together, and vacation together. I understand Katie is lonely but darn, that is a lot of togetherness.

The Clarks do not come across as happy go lucky folks. Maybe they are annoyed when Katie films them, and that is all I get to see. Will the family vacations be mandatory? What if K&T just wanted to vacation elsewhere? What if they want a just the two of them vacation? I don’t know this young lady but feel sorry for what’s ahead. 

It seems like the Clark clan is always together. Momma and Daddy Clark always look annoyed but  it could just be an aversion to the constant filming. I would imagine the 3 Clark siblings are used to nice vacations with the parents so once you marry in, there’s no question about going along. Katie doesn’t seem like she would turn any of this down, after all, the Bates did a lot of vacations paid for by TV show. Plus it’s not like either Katie or Trav have regular 9-5 jobs….

• Love 6

They did honeymoon in Cabo, yes. I wonder if Mexico vacations are cheap right now? They've recently had several tourists get caught in the crossfire of cartel violence, not to mention the pandemic. Maybe resorts are slashing rates to lure visitors. Otherwise it seems odd to choose that destination, especially so soon after Katie and Travis went there. 

I think the Clarks are a pretty humorless bunch, but I also think Katie needs to read the room and put the damn phone down. I know I'd get annoyed if I was trying to have family time and there was a camera in my face every waking minute. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, SMama said:

Agree. One moment I thought was strange when they went to a mall when her sisters were here. In the car, it was Travis, Katie, & her sisters but the parents were at the mall too, which is 45-55 mins away.  They must have driven another car.  Why couldn’t just T&K go with her sisters?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, BitterApple said:

They did honeymoon in Cabo, yes. I wonder if Mexico vacations are cheap right now? They've recently had several tourists get caught in the crossfire of cartel violence, not to mention the pandemic. Maybe resorts are slashing rates to lure visitors. Otherwise it seems odd to choose that destination, especially so soon after Katie and Travis went there. 

I think the Clarks are a pretty humorless bunch, but I also think Katie needs to read the room and put the damn phone down. I know I'd get annoyed if I was trying to have family time and there was a camera in my face every waking minute. 

Especially if you are sitting at a table eating and someone whips out a phone and starts filming. I would be pissed off and would probably make an unhappy face like Daddy Clark. They go to Mexico and  eat pizza. Why??

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Per Travis' Instagram, his mother had an accident while horseback riding yesterday and fractured her lower back.  Potential surgery this afternoon.  I hope she is ok.

That's a scary injury at any time, but for it to happen in a foreign country makes it even more stressful I would imagine.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 4

I just watched the vacation video Travis posted.  Is that home they stayed at owned by the Clarks?  Could explain why they are always.

Travis did show the hotel they stayed at on their honeymoon.

Edited by Jeanne222
35 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I just watched the vacation video Travis posted.  Is that home they stayed at owned by the Clarks?  Could explain why they are always.

Travis did show the hotel they stayed at on their honeymoon.

I don’t think so. Otherwise they could’ve stayed there for their honeymoon. I assumed rental/AirB&B type thing. It was gorgeous though. 

• Useful 1

Super interesting that both couples traveling to I Love You Day have been radio silent since yesterday. Both are driving. Normally they'd be on IG non stop doing Q&As and letting you know how many times they stopped at Sbux. But reality is now they know they have to save content for their YT channels - boring as they are - bc if people have watched your road trip/ILY Day content on IG already, they're much less likely to sit thru a 20 min video on it next week. Alyssa posted one pic like 3-5 hrs into her drive showing a Chick Fil A stop for dinner.

• Love 6

Katie did post pictures of KJ, Michael and Ellie in the backseat of the car on the way back to NJ. At this rate, Travis and Katie will never spend any time alone. Between traveling with family or to family and guests, it’s been about 5 minutes of alone time. And isn’t Law’s wedding in less than 2 weeks?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Katie did post pictures of KJ, Michael and Ellie in the backseat of the car on the way back to NJ. At this rate, Travis and Katie will never spend any time alone. Between traveling with family or to family and guests, it’s been about 5 minutes of alone time. And isn’t Law’s wedding in less than 2 weeks?

Law's wedding is in May, I want to say the 12th.

• Useful 3
39 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

And Addie is in Florida, Nanny-Slaving for Alyssa. They don't even keep up the pretense of homeschooling anymore. Michael's trip to visit Katie was planned for a while, because I remember Katie mentioning it a few weeks ago in her stories. As for Kelly, she jumps at any opportunity to avoid parenting her youngest set of kids. The remaining daughter left behind is probably holding down the fort. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I think Callie is going to New Jersey and Ellie is back in Tennessee this time. She and the two younger boys were at Carlin’s today.

Well when the 3 youngest girls all have similar sounding names, it’s tough to keep track of which one is which…

• LOL 4
(edited)

And they went to Sonic in NJ to get Kelly Jo WATER?? She had a box of like 8 extra large WATERS and went on and on about how these ones are peach flavored and these are raspberry or whatever. Uh lady water flows out of a tap and you can add some powdered flavoring to that.

Yep this time it's Ellie stuck at home and for once Callie gets away and isn't responsible for dinner and dishes for a bunch of grown men living in that house. I imagine Callie only got to go bc KJ and Michaela were going so she has someone to fly back with; we haven't yet see her fly alone like Addie/Ellie can.

Edited by cereality
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, cereality said:

And they went to Sonic in NJ to get Kelly Jo WATER?? She had a box of like 8 extra large WATERS and went on and on about how these ones are peach flavored and these are raspberry or whatever. Uh lady water flows out of a tap and you can add some powdered flavoring to that.

Yep this time it's Ellie stuck at home and for once Callie gets away and isn't responsible for dinner and dishes for a bunch of grown men living in that house. I imagine Callie only got to go bc KJ and Michaela were going so she has someone to fly back with; we haven't yet see her fly alone like Addie/Ellie can.

Looks like Elllie and the 2 youngest boys got to go to Carlin’s to help her declutter. I’m amazed at how much stuff Carlin said she was throwing away. I know her house is small, but don’t buy all that junk in the first place! And Jeb (?) is a mini Lawson, looks and personality. 

Edited by ozziemom
Clarity
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, cereality said:

And they went to Sonic in NJ to get Kelly Jo WATER?? She had a box of like 8 extra large WATERS and went on and on about how these once are peach flavored and these are raspberry or whatever. Uh lady water flows out of a tap and you can add some powdered flavoring to that.

I saw the video and it looked like she had a dozen individual drinks. Mother Earth must've been weeping at the sight of all that styrofoam and single use plastic. It's like, ffs, Kelly. You can buy those tiny bottles of zero-calorie concentrated syrup that you add to water, or like you said, the powder packets. It's just so lazy and wasteful when our planet is already going to shit. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Looks like Elllie and the 2 youngest boys got to go to Carlin’s to help her declutter. I’m amazed at how much stuff Carlin said she was throwing away. I know her house is small, but don’t buy it in the first place! And Jeb (?) is a mini Lawson, looks and personality. 

It's been said here that they rent. They are looking to buy.

13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Mother Earth must've been weeping at the sight of all that styrofoam and single use plastic. It's like, ffs, Kelly.

Exactly!  I used to say that all the time when they had their huge gatherings and always plastic plates, cups, utensils etc.  So much waste.  Add the ugly decorations they use and our planet doesn't have a chance.  How many streamers and balloons do they need?  Don't they keep any of those artificial flowers they buy for every single shower they throw?  Ugh, they suck.  

Kelly Jo is really so stupid for buying all those drinks and not doing what everyone else her has said.  So many other options. 

• Love 4