Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: The Other Side

• Start Topic

I may be in the minority but I really enjoyed this episode. I was so shocked when Burgess was shot not once but twice. I wasn't expecting that at all. 

There was a lot of tension and I found the whole episode engaging from start to finish. 

Even Upton I thought was fine.  

• Love 10

"Hey, guess what I shot a guy and our boss is going to dispose of the body & we are going to pretend it didn't happen, you an me should totally get married." All delivered with the sincerity of a barista telling you they are out of your favourite milk.

This is going to end well, can't wait to see this crash & burn next season. 

So Burgess literally saves herself again. 

Ruzek finally does something smart. I even liked the fight between him and Kev and how once Kim was at the hospital it was already forgotten, their bond is pretty unbreakable. 

Wetstead remains just feckless.

All in all I enjoyed it for the most part, the stupid proposal notwithstanding....oh and Voight's learning he at least burnt this body....wonder when ERIN  Upton moves it?

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)

I read the tvline recap and you could literally replace the word Upton with Erin and it could be a season three recap. 

Except I liked Erin.

While they threw a lot at her I never felt she was a smug as permasmirk and the show still felt like an ensemble and Jay had a semblance of personality with her.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 9
(edited)
9 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I may be in the minority but I really enjoyed this episode. I was so shocked when Burgess was shot not once but twice. I wasn't expecting that at all. 

I said now that's how you do it. The guy came in, shot the other guy then Kim. No long drawn out conversation. Come in, do the deed and move along.

I didn't think Kim was dead since she wasn't shot center mass. I initially thought she had a vest underneath her shirt but then comes the blood so I had to accept she was shot.

I loved seeing Kim fight but it was brutal seeing her get beat down the way she did. I also loved that she played a major role in her rescue. She pulls herself over to the guy to get his phone, only to find it broken. Then she gets the key to uncuff herself, drag her limp body to the car, pulls herself inside the car and turns on the hazard light. Go Kim!!

When Adam and Kevin were arguing and started fighting I said you idiots, you are wasting time!!

I liked that Haley finally talked Adam down but it should have been Kevin! Kevin should have been the one to get through to Adam and hammer home the point that he wasn't in the right state of mind and that he needed to think of Makayla because you can't tell me that Haley knew that Adam was "backup" guardian to Makayla and Kevin didn't. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN KEVIN!!!

OK, I will move on LOL

@LittleIggy I wonder why Hank was burning the body too.. Maybe, in the event someone finds the body, he was trying to get rid of any DNA? Now that I said that, is that what got Olinsky caught up and tied him to the body of the guy Hank murdered?

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Guildford said:

Ruzek finally does something smart. I even liked the fight between him and Kev and how once Kim was at the hospital it was already forgotten, their bond is pretty unbreakable. 

I did like seeing them low key make up. LOL So very happy it was Kevin calling Adam.

6 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

This made me laugh. Imagine how successful tv criminals would be if they'd just stfu talking.Other Media

Exactly!!!

• Love 1

So Hank finally learned to do his own dirty work!?  I immediately thought, "oh no, there's no Al or Erin to be doing this for him!"  But why did he bury the body anyway?  As mentioned above, their story was solid enough that they wouldn't get in trouble.  He didn't need to cover it up, unless it was because of the guy's other injuries from when Hank beat him?  But still... he just says they fought.  I didn't get it.

Amen to all of the people making the Erin comparisons.  I half expected her to show up with her own shovel at the end... Hailey was less annoying this episode, but less still doesn't make her tolerable.

Jay - you need to run.  Fast.  In any direction, I don't care, just far away from Hailey.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I hope Voight found a different burial spot! The bigwigs know about where he buried his previous bodies.

I still don't understand why any of that was necessary. Hank didn't take Roy to that location -- Roy was already at the out-of-the-way, deserted location. They fought. Hank was trying to transfer the criminal to his car to bring him in and Roy grabbed Hank's gun. So he was shot for good reason.

There isn't that much lying required. Hank just had to take it to the next level...

I actually expect Ruzek to ask Kim to marry him again when she gets better as well.

Hank's going to hate that with most of his team coupled off!

Now Kevin needs some romance...

I enjoyed this episode.

• Love 6

Oh, FFS!  That little scene with Jay and Upton, literally made me gag!  They need to pick a lane for Upton's character.  She was going to the dark side for 2 seasons.  Then she turns into Polly Purebred in her scene with Voight.  And her asking Jay to get married was pukeworthy.  It's like there are new people writing for her every week with no clue who she is. UGH!

• Love 2

IRL Kim would have been dead. Kim said “don’t die don’t die” is really heartbreaking. I know she’ll make it and be back in S09E01 healthier than ever because it’s a tv show!

Adam’s actions and reactions throughout this episode are understandable. My favourite moment is when he gently touched Makayla’s head while answering his phone, it’s lovely to see a softer side of him.

Kevin should have been the Switzerland and the voice of reason in this episode, NOT Hailey! Kevin has special connection & history with both Adam and Kim. Hailey isn’t Kim’s BFF and Adam was her f*ck boy, nothing more.

Hailey has already crossed to the dark side but she’s in denial, what a sanctimonious hypocrite! Did she realise that Voight has manipulated the whole situation? Voight undid Roy’s restraint so he would reach for his gun and Hailey would have to shoot him. Am glad that Voight cleaned up his own mess this time since his minions are no longer around.

Voight has always been able to live with consequences of his actions and behaviours, Hailey can’t. If Jay is smart enough, he will say no to her marriage proposal and run as fast as he can, away from her. Hey Jay, you have your own emotional baggage to deal with, you don’t have to put up with all her shit and lies.

For next season, I want to see more Kevin, more Jay and more Adam. No more near-death for Kim and less Hailey, way less! And ohh, stop forcing UpStead on us!!!

• Love 5

I'm tired of outlaw cops in real life and in tv/movies that think they can cross lines repeatedly and get away with it. Eventually there needs to be a real civil war on this show with Atwater, Jay and maybe Burgess vs Voight, Hailey, and Ruzek. Cops that try to do things right way vs Cops that bend the rules or flat out break laws and lie and cover up when it suits them. 

So much for reform huh?

That fight between Kev and Ruzek seems like a long time coming and I wonder what they're relationship is gonna be like moving forward. I would be cool with Jay and Atwater teaming up.

I don't know what they were trying to do with Hailey this episode, acting like she's the voice of reason as if we haven't seen her go off the deep end and cross line after line. I predict her and Jay will crash and burn.

As for next season get my man Atwater a woman for god's sake. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, GodsBeloved said:

Kevin should have been the one to get through to Adam

Actually I'm glad it wasn't... I'm tired of Kev being the level-headed responsible black friend to Adam... Always the one doing the heavy emotional work... Always the one fixing stuff.. While Adam runs hither and yonder doing whatever the hell he pleases

• Love 3
9 hours ago, SoapDoc said:

Now Kevin needs some romance...

Said by everyone after every season... Somehow Jay.. Adam.. Al... Antonio.. Hell even Roman managed to have at least one multi- episode love affair.. Or significant other.. But Kev.. Naw we need him to go carry the heavy equipment and bust down doors.. And fight systemic racism by himself 

• Love 4

Because I didn't get around to it a few weeks ago.. Why exactly did Kim pick Adam as Mikayla's secondary guardian?...  Adam is a good man..loyal friend  But hes also a reckless, hot-headed and stubborn rule-breaking rationalizer.. Not to mention a bit of a man-child who's never cared for children and let's face it is a white guy, with real racial blindspots... And then You have Kev... Who's like the opposite on damn near all counts.. And has already raised two kids.. Including a little black girl.. So like did the show give Kim a reason.. Or at least a throwaway line about not putting more on Kev's plate or something.. Cuz if not... Smh

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, UnoAgain said:

Said by everyone after every season... Somehow Jay.. Adam.. Al... Antonio.. Hell even Roman managed to have at least one multi- episode love affair.. Or significant other.. But Kev.. Naw we need him to go carry the heavy equipment and bust down doors.. And fight systemic racism by himself 

If it's not a Black vs Blue storyline apparently Kev isn't a human being. Everybody has some kind of personal life but him.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, UnoAgain said:

Because I didn't get around to it a few weeks ago.. Why exactly did Kim pick Adam as Mikayla's secondary guardian?...  Adam is a good man..loyal friend  But hes also a reckless, hot-headed and stubborn rule-breaking rationalizer.. Not to mention a bit of a man-child who's never cared for children and let's face it is a white guy, with real racial blindspots... And then You have Kev... Who's like the opposite on damn near all counts.. And has already raised two kids.. Including a little black girl.. So like did the show give Kim a reason.. Or at least a throwaway line about not putting more on Kev's plate or something.. Cuz if not... Smh

She picked him because despite everything else she loves him and trusts him and as she said, they were going to have a baby together and she considers them family. Kim never seemed like she cared for children either until she decided on a whim to adopt a child. I think it was also designed to show the growth that we saw in Adam this episode, and while the show chose not to show any development of even Kim's attachment to Makayla, let alone Adam, they obviously had been spending time together, he did say they were going to pick her up for dinner when things went to shit with his Dad, he knew what time the babysitter finished so I'd say Adam does have a relationship with her. (also it suits the storyline so it doesn't have to make sense) 

At least the writers didn't listen to the tweens on twitter who wanted Upton to be the guardian, because doesn't she scream 'maternal' & 'emotionally stable'.

• Love 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I was hoping that Kevin would have been more emotional when it came to looking for Kim.  I like those two together, and think they work well together.

You know, I felt the same. It was weird how 'meh' both Atwater and Halstead seemed about it all. When have they ever stood there and said, right 'we need to do some digging, build a case, find some evidence then apply for a warrant' like they were reading a recipe? They had zero sense of urgency. So I got Adam's frustration, as he said, look what these guys had already done? 

I get what they were trying to portray....the good cops v the rogue cops....but they continue to have no subtlety. And Jay continues to just ignore that his girlfriend is a psychopath and just meander through scenes with her. The only time Jay was halfway interesting was when he wasn't yoked to the psycho.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 2
(edited)

You know, I felt the same. It was weird how 'meh' both Atwater and Halstead seemed about it all. When have they ever stood there and said, right 'we need to do some digging, build a case, find some evidence then apply for a warrant' like they were reading a recipe? They had zero sense of urgency. So I got Adam's frustration, as he said, look what these guys had already done? 

I get what they were trying to portray....the good cops v the rogue cops....but they continue to have no subtlety. And Jay continues to just ignore that his girlfriend is a psychopath and just meander through scenes with her. The only time Jay was halfway interesting was when he wasn't yoked to the psycho.

With Ruzek already going of the deep end there was no need for Kev to go off the deep end to, he was trying to be level headed. That doesn't mean he cares about Kim any less.

Edited by mommalib
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, mommalib said:

With Ruzek already going of the deep end there was no need for Kev to go off the deep end to, he was trying to be level headed. That doesn't mean he cares about Kim any less.

I know he doesn't care about her any less, it was more about how they acted and wrote that scene just before Adam lost it. It was just flat and something that they have never talked about in that way before. They just don't do well keeping people consistent with their character, they lack subtlety and deftness with their writing. You can still portray urgency without all hell breaking loose. 

• Love 2
(edited)

That's how it came across to me too. I expected some sense of urgency from Kevin at least given his relationship with Kim. Maybe it was the writing, directing and/or acting.

Just last episode, they saw Hank not doing what he does and presumably the Chief's son was murdered because they were "doing this the right way". Was any of that going through Kevin and Jay's minds? Did they pause even for a second and say Kim could die while we're doing it the right way?

Even with them sticking to their guns, it would have been nice to see them pausing for a moment because it was one of their own and a close friend/partner.

Edited by GodsBeloved
  • Love 3
On 5/27/2021 at 8:16 AM, GodsBeloved said:

I said now that's how you do it. The guy came in, shot the other guy then Kim. No long drawn out conversation. Come in, do the deed and move along.

I didn't think Kim was dead since she wasn't shot center mass. I initially thought she had a vest underneath her shirt but then comes the blood so I had to accept she was shot.

I loved seeing Kim fight but it was brutal seeing her get beat down the way she did. I also loved that she played a major role in her rescue. She pulls herself over to the guy to get his phone, only to find it broken. Then she gets the key to uncuff herself, drag her limp body to the car, pulls herself inside the car and turns on the hazard light. Go Kim!!

When Adam and Kevin were arguing and started fighting I said you idiots, you are wasting time!!

I liked that Haley finally talked Adam down but it should have been Kevin! Kevin should have been the one to get through to Adam and hammer home the point that he wasn't in the right state of mind and that he needed to think of Makayla because you can't tell me that Haley knew that Adam was "backup" guardian to Makayla and Kevin didn't. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN KEVIN!!!

OK, I will move on LOL

@LittleIggy I wonder why Hank was burning the body too.. Maybe, in the event someone finds the body, he was trying to get rid of any DNA? Now that I said that, is that what got Olinsky caught up and tied him to the body of the guy Hank murdered?

Of course Upton got to talk Adam AND Voight down. Cause shes the special snowflake, the Obession of the Showrunner. Shes just so awesome BARF. 

• Love 2
On 5/28/2021 at 6:59 AM, Guildford said:

Jay's main purpose is to be Boyfriend to Eid's Obession, his favorite Charcater The Smug, Hypocritical Special Snowflake Upton. Hell I  half think Upton asked him to get Married so he doesn't have to testify if she gets linked to the Cover-up of Roy's death 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/27/2021 at 10:16 PM, GodsBeloved said:

Yeah, how many times have we seen in TV and Movies the long drawn out revenge chat only for that person to be killed or overpowered because they spoke too much! Although, head shots would have been more deadly. 

On 5/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, LittleIggy said:

Why did Voight bury/burn the dude’s body? He went for Hank’s gun, so it was an appropriate shoot. 
Guess Jay didn’t know Will had been fired. 😏

I didn't really get that either. Unless he knew it wouldn't look good, how does a veteran officer explain how the cuffed criminal takes his gun?

On 5/27/2021 at 6:58 PM, Guildford said:

"Hey, guess what I shot a guy and our boss is going to dispose of the body & we are going to pretend it didn't happen, you an me should totally get married." All delivered with the sincerity of a barista telling you they are out of your favourite milk.

This is going to end well, can't wait to see this crash & burn next season. 

So Burgess literally saves herself again. 

remains just feckless.

All in all I enjoyed it for the most part, the stupid proposal notwithstanding....oh and Voight's learning he at least burnt this body....wonder when ERIN  Upton moves it?

Yep. You would think the advantage those two have is they do the same job for the same boss! I mean it wouldn't have been unbelievable at all if she said "Voight was beating the crap out of the guy and then he took his gun somehow.. I mean.. it was like Voight allowed it to happen and then I had to shoot him". 

Just a regular day under Voight's watch! 

I think Burgess spoke too much and just pissed the guy off so he continued hitting more than he planned to. I thought she was going to manage to crawl to the hospital while her colleagues were beating each other up. 

I'm sorry but Kim should be dead.

I'm so tired of the extra-ordinarily stupid criminals on TV shows.  Put two in her stomach and just walk away without making sure the deed is done?  I'm pretty sure any criminal would walk up and put a third bullet in her head to be sure.

• Love 1

Has there been any talk about Marina Squerciati leaving the show?  Or is it just her turn to have the character in the season ending cliff hanger whose life/career/etc. hangs in the balance?

I agree that it was sloppy of Roy to just walk away.  He put a bullet in the head of Kent, yet just shoots Kim two or three times in the stomach?

I didn't understand the comment that Upton made to Ruzek about how all of their addresses were legitimate people.  Did she say that Voight took all the "high potential" addresses?  So she knew he was going to find and kill Roy?  How would Voight have known which addresses to take?

So Voight pulls an Erin and buries the body?  Interesting that he took his glove off to get a match.  I guess the match will burn and there will be none of his DNA left behind.  But lighting a fire, even in a remote area?  That's not going to attract any attention?

On 6/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, KeithJ said:

I'm sorry but Kim should be dead.

I'm so tired of the extra-ordinarily stupid criminals on TV shows.  Put two in her stomach and just walk away without making sure the deed is done?  I'm pretty sure any criminal would walk up and put a third bullet in her head to be sure.

Yep. These CPD criminals need to go to the school of Snoop and Chris at Baltimore by way of The Wire lol. There is a scene when they are "training" the new guys and they make a point of talking about a head shot because the person might be vested up.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:34 AM, LadyIrony said:

Voight was beating the crap out of the guy and then he took his gun somehow.. I mean.. it was like Voight allowed it to happen and then I had to shoot him". 

Just a regular day under Voight's watch! 

This is what I think happened.  No way Voight would leave his gun exposed like that.  With Hailey armed right in front of him, he staged the suicide by cop motif.  That's may read anyway.  Then he burned the body... for dramatic effect?   So he wouldn't have to explain away the bruises?  So there'll be wasted resources looking for this dirtbag for how long?

• Love 2
On 7/13/2021 at 11:37 PM, jabRI said:

This is what I think happened.  No way Voight would leave his gun exposed like that.  With Hailey armed right in front of him, he staged the suicide by cop motif.  That's may read anyway.  Then he burned the body... for dramatic effect?   So he wouldn't have to explain away the bruises?  So there'll be wasted resources looking for this dirtbag for how long?

I get the impression where he burned the body is Voight's burial ground!

I don't think cops waste all that much looking for some of these people generally but yeah given he shot a cop they will waste a lot of time. 

On 5/27/2021 at 2:21 PM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Did she realise that Voight has manipulated the whole situation? Voight undid Roy’s restraint so he would reach for his gun and Hailey would have to shoot him. 

That was very obvious. Voight getting someone to do his dirty work.