Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E20: Anya Taylor-Joy / Lil Nas X

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Does anyone know if they showed a dress rehearsal version of Lil Nas X's first song during the west coast airing since his pants ripped in the east coast airing?

Don’t they air live on both coasts now?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Anya Taylor-Joy was a delight, but I'll admit that I was distracted by how very, very thin she is.

I'm sad to know that there are people who vilified the pride sketch for having a "negative" depiction of queer people. If someone thinks that all depictions of queer people have to be upstanding, then they probably should avoid all of Bowen Yang's sketches for the rest of his time on the show.

It makes me even sadder to know that fathers holding guns on their daughters with their boyfriends is a common thing. If someone thinks that's "funny," that tells me everything I need to know about them.

• Love 10
(edited)

Deshawn the Cornbread. I'm actually kind of curious to know what talking cornbread would sound like, lol.

Is Lil Nas X that tall or is most of the SNL cast kinda short? He was towering over most of them in the sign-off. It could have been his shoes though.

Does anyone know if they showed a dress rehearsal version of Lil Nas X's first song during the west coast airing since his pants ripped in the east coast airing?

In my SW market, during daylight savings time, they show the live version in prime time and then the West coast version after the news. I saw the later version and I don't think there was any wardrobe malfunction.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Is Lil Nas X that tall or is most of the SNL cast kinda short? He was towering over most of them in the sign-off. It could have been his shoes though.

I noticed too and looked it up. He's 6'1" but like you said, he was wearing platform shoes.

Pete Davidson is 6'3" for comparison.

Edited by BC4ME
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought ATJ's dress for her monologue looked like a slip and her dress for the good-byes looked like the same thing, but finally ready to go, like they finally got around to putting the leopard spots on (or were they jaguar spots?).

Maybe Cecily had a monitor she could see Colin in when she was pitching the wine over her shoulder? Either way, great performance. I will miss Cecily if she's leaving. 

I do start to wonder why so many of the cast enjoy tormenting Jost. The wine toss is not the only bit that hinges on this particular device.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

Anya Taylor-Joy was a delight, but I'll admit that I was distracted by how very, very thin she is.

It makes me even sadder to know that fathers holding guns on their daughters with their boyfriends is a common thing. If someone thinks that's "funny," that tells me everything I need to know about them.

Agree, and agree.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

None of it so far besides the Pride sketch is even relevant to anything current at all.

However, I finally heard a plausible explanation as to why men have breasts!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/23/2021 at 12:25 AM, Liamsmom617 said:

I’m loving this episode so far. The cold open was giving me all the feels.

WU is slaying!! And holy shite, Judge Jeannine Pirro is back!!

MacBeth...Oh  yes...Judge Jeannine was a classic performance.  
Especially the way she kept splashing Jost with the wine. 

Edited by grommit2
added name
  • Love 3
On 5/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, Crashcourse said:

I know Lil Nas X thought he was being sexy with the crotch grabbing and gyrations, but the young'un just had me laughing.  Bless his heart.

Same. For all that showboating and tacky staging, his performance ended up looking cheap and lifeless to me. The singing was barely live. Being cute goes only so far if you’re not a strong live pop performer.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/23/2021 at 5:20 PM, Irlandesa said:

I watched Fallon last night and Lil Nas X was a guest. They talked at length about his "wardrobe malfunction," and showed both the dress rehearsal and the oppps! moment. Until I watched Fallon, I also thought that he was grabbing his crotch. Nope, he was supposed to twirl around that stripper pole, basically spread eagle. Dave Grohl was "co-hosting" Fallon, and he was basically like "It's a good thing you felt that breeze, because you would have given us a show!"

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 5/23/2021 at 9:18 AM, Quickbeam said:

My husband hates this show but loves WU. He laughed a lot. His favorite skit was the Bra Barn. He was almost crying he laughed so hard. Anya is so much better looking than her Gambit persona. 

I find her jarring with blonde hair, even though it's her natural shade.  I think she looks better with darker hair. 

On 5/23/2021 at 9:40 AM, ahisma said:

Nailing him, even over her shoulder without looking! That really was the highlight of an overall great night.

That was some impressive no-look wine tossing!

On 5/23/2021 at 3:37 PM, Crashcourse said:

I know Lil Nas X thought he was being sexy with the crotch grabbing and gyrations, but the young'un just had me laughing.  Bless his heart.

Another "musical" guest I skipped over.  Good lord.

Edited by Inquisitionist
Corrected typo.
  • LOL 2
(edited)

Just watched the Hulu episode stream and surprisingly, they kept the regular feed in of Lil Nas X's first performance. I kinda thought they'd replace the wardrobe malfunction with the dress rehearsal footage for Hulu streams.  At the end of the song, when they carry Nas to the pole, he does a deep squat. That's when the rip happens. When he stands up, you see a wide eyed Eddie-Murphy-as-Mr. Robinson-when-the-landlord-knocks, look pass over his face. That's when he was supposed to twirl on the pole and instead finished the song standing in front of the pole with his hand over his crotch. Ahhhh. Live TV.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 5

He talked to Jimmy Fallon about how he was afraid the pants would fall off completely, the rip was that bad. I think the crotch grabbing was not part of the original choreography, and was just done to prevent a live reveal of everything underneath. He said that after the number, the crew was telling him to hurry up and leave the stage and he told them that if he moved, everyone would be flashed, so please bring him a towel. After that, he walked off (with the towel wrapped around).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Is it a tradition that cast members who have big nights are leaving? Is there evidence for that? I agree Cecily was sensational, and Beck had a great show, but couldn't that just be that they were "bringing it" for the season finale? And that the writers also wanted to finish strong for the season finale? I don't read any tea leaves in Jeanine Pirro singing "My Way"--it was the perfect song for the character. Anyway, I hope Cecily and Beck will be back.

• Love 3

Between the joke swaps and Judge Jeanine I must have watched the last third of Update about half a dozen times already.  Like most, I was just in awe of how she knew exactly how much wine was in there to time the first part perfectly and THEN kept nailing him with the no look tosses over shoulder during the song.  While singing.  In character.  While dunking herself in a giant vat of wine.  I was alone in my apartment and Iiterally gave her a standing ovation at the end.  And the icing on the cake was Jost and Che's reactions in the back.  I don't know what tickled me the most.  I actually kind of hope that was Cecily's send off because I can't think of better way to top that.  She extremely talented and I hope she does well for herself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
On 5/27/2021 at 8:03 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Is it a tradition that cast members who have big nights are leaving? Is there evidence for that? I agree Cecily was sensational, and Beck had a great show, but couldn't that just be that they were "bringing it" for the season finale? And that the writers also wanted to finish strong for the season finale? I don't read any tea leaves in Jeanine Pirro singing "My Way"--it was the perfect song for the character. Anyway, I hope Cecily and Beck will be back.

Darrell Hammond Had ALL those Cameos In His Finale ! Kristen Wiig Had Mick Jagger Sing Ruby Tuesday And Lorne Danced With Kristen in Her Finale ! I Do Think They Wanted A Good Finale Since The Season Had Not been Very Good With A Few Exceptions And They Had A FULL Audience And Things Are Getting Back To Normal So They Want To Go To Next Season With Every Body Anticipating A Good Start For The Fall ! ! ! ! How Ever,They Put Beck In THE Very Last Sketch And That Was So Memorable And Funny ! I Do Think Cecily IS Leaving Because She Missed Some Episodes And She Made A Movie in Canada And I Don't Think Jenine Pirro Wants To Get In A Tank OF Wine Although She Probably Drinks Wine And She DOES TALK LOUD ! ! ! How Ever, Cecily LOVES To Sing These BIG Musical Numbers So She Was Letting People I Am Doing This MY Way And I Am Leaving Saturday Night Live ! She Could Have Sang Some Other Big Song ! She Did NOT Have To Sing My Way Even IF They Did Not Have Jeanine Piro Any More Because Donald Trump Is NOT President ! Beck and Cecily ARE MY FAVORITE Cast Members And I Don't Want Them To Leave Either !

On 5/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought the prototype of Human Man was well-executed but felt very conventional for the most part. If there were any references to Adam's rib I missed them (not that it was theologically dependent on Genesis in any noticeable way, and I did enjoy Jesus dropping by).

Yes, and then as is too common for SNL, they ruined it and couldn't end it well.  It was funny when Jesus dropped by and then said something (I think it was about how awkward it is sometimes there with him being God's son), but then they ended the skit with Kyle as Jesus saying something more that was sort of mumbled and not very funny.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/29/2021 at 3:59 PM, kiddo82 said:

Between the joke swaps and Judge Jeanine I must have watched the last third of Update about half a dozen times already.  Like most, I was just in awe of how she knew exactly how much wine was in there to time the first part perfectly and THEN kept nailing him with the no look tosses over shoulder during the song.  While singing.  In character.  While dunking herself in a giant vat of wine.  I was alone in my apartment and Iiterally gave her a standing ovation at the end.  And the icing on the cake was Jost and Che's reactions in the back.  I don't know what tickled me the most.  I actually kind of hope that was Cecily's send off because I can't think of better way to top that.  She extremely talented and I hope she does well for herself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's rewatched multiple times. I loved Pete, Colin, Michael, and Cecily so much. I wish them all continued success, but boy will I be sad not to see them on SNL again.

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 3
On 5/27/2021 at 8:03 AM, Milburn Stone said:

Cecily AND Beck ARE MY Favorite Members OF The Cast ! !