Type keyword(s) to search

Born With Albinism - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I stumbled across this on my Discovery+ program guide last night and thought I'd check it out.

Turns out this family lives right down the mountain from me in Fresno, CA.  

It was actually pretty interesting.  The couple has two biological kids and have adopted five children from China, four of whom have albinism and one of whom has a brachial plexus injury.  

The first episode is available on the TLC website here

Another family with differences stakes their claim on reality TV. And boy does this check all the boxes. They definitely give off a fundamentalist Christian vibe, the mom doesn’t work outside the home, all the girls and women have hair down to their waist, teenage son already engaged, homeschooling, dad is sole earner with a very pedestrian job, claim they’re not on TV to be famous, yada yada yada.

Following the well-worn steps trod by the families Duggar, Roloff, Gosselin, Busby et al it won’t be long before they move into a new bigger house, the dad quits his job, they start taking vacations around the world, at least one kid peaces out, and the marriage dangles by a thread held together only by TLC money and endorsements.

Can’t wait for it.

• LOL 1

I watched about half of the premiere show and didn't care to see any more.  There's something about the parents and the kids and their family dynamic I don't care for.  With that many kids being legally blind, their riding bikes in the street scared the daylights out of me.  It only takes a split second for an accident to occur by losing one's balance or perhaps just one child running into another and causing a chain reaction collision.  With the parked and moving cars we saw, there's little allowance for mishaps.  Better for them to ride in a more protected area such as a park bike path.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Another family with differences stakes their claim on reality TV. And boy does this check all the boxes. They definitely give off a fundamentalist Christian vibe, the mom doesn’t work outside the home, all the girls and women have hair down to their waist, teenage son already engaged, homeschooling, dad is sole earner with a very pedestrian job, claim they’re not on TV to be famous, yada yada yada.

Following the well-worn steps trod by the families Duggar, Roloff, Gosselin, Busby et al it won’t be long before they move into a new bigger house, the dad quits his job, they start taking vacations around the world, at least one kid peaces out, and the marriage dangles by a thread held together only by TLC money and endorsements.

Can’t wait for it.

I was wondering their religious slant when the wife made some comment about whether they would adopt more.... My quiver is full or something to that affect.

Is TLC that tied to cult religions?

On 5/22/2021 at 12:11 PM, Annifran said:

I watched about half of the premiere show and didn't care to see any more.  There's something about the parents and the kids and their family dynamic I don't care for.  With that many kids being legally blind, their riding bikes in the street scared the daylights out of me.  It only takes a split second for an accident to occur by losing one's balance or perhaps just one child running into another and causing a chain reaction collision.  With the parked and moving cars we saw, there's little allowance for mishaps.  Better for them to ride in a more protected area such as a park bike path.

And Fresno drivers are notoriously bad (and I mean B-A-D).  I wouldn't even ride a bike on Fresno streets as a full functioning adult, much less if I had any physical issue with hearing or seeing.  

I watched it initially for the medical information, which I found interesting but now I'll be watching on a much more superficial note, to see where in the area they shop and hang out at so I can avoid it (much as I would avoid any potential fundie and/or a bunch of kids).