Type keyword(s) to search

Downton Abbey - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Tim McD said:
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I didn't watch the show during it's original run but I'm at the point where I just about can't stand Edith anymore.

I have no sympathy for Edith, her woes are the result of her colossally bad decision making based on her immediate emotional needs with no thought of the consequences.

My people!!!

• Love 3

Same.  

I'm a  perpetual re-watcher (helps me relax before bed) and there was the big ticket Edith nastiness (Turkish Embassy, kissing the farmer, Marigold family #1 in Switzerland, the Drews) but there was a lot of small stuff too. "What about my dress!" when Carson collapsed and snarking on Sybil that she'd picked up weight, reading Mary's letter from Evelyn, teasing Mary for praying.

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Edith also didn't tell her fiance about Marigold and in the first movie she complained about having to go to lunches with people she didn't know, etc.  She became the highest ranking member of her family with her marriage and yet she continually found things to complain about (and I will never forgive her for the fact that the Drews had to leave their family farm because of her).

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Edith also didn't tell her fiance about Marigold and in the first movie she complained about having to go to lunches with people she didn't know, etc.  She became the highest ranking member of her family with her marriage and yet she continually found things to complain about (and I will never forgive her for the fact that the Drews had to leave their family farm because of her).

I know. She's such a mopey, sad sack. I have no patience for her.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm watching the marathon on PBS, and I was struck by the fact Mary didn't dump Sir Richard out on his ear as soon as he viciously threatened she'd be sorry if he ever crossed him. That should have been the final nail in his coffin. She also didn't act when she learned how he threatened Lavinia and what he made her do.

I think that was way out of character for bold, "don't mess with me" Mary.

• Like 2
On 10/6/2022 at 8:28 PM, Tim McD said:

I have no sympathy for Edith, her woes are the result of her colossally bad decision making based on her immediate emotional needs with no thought of the consequences. And she deserves to get dragged by Mary, she's the one who always starts it!

Yes! Edith started it when she called Mary a slut and messaged the embassy. She spent a lot of time deliberately trying to mess up Mary's life. As for Mary, she was basically carelessly cruel, and I don't remember any deliberate sabotage except when she informed Edith's beau about her past at the table, after Edith's hostile moves. Oh, and when she told the elderly beau that Edith was expecting a proposal from a silly old man whom she'd made fun of.

Edited by renatae
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 5/21/2023 at 10:44 AM, KLovestoShop said:

According to an article in The Mail on Sunday, Julian Fellows is casting a new Downton series to be shown on ITV. They’re trying to get as many of the original cast back together. 

What is ITV? 

• Like 1
(edited)
35 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

What is ITV? 

A free-to-air public broadcast television network, second largest broadcaster in the UK, second only to the BBC. ITV is commercial, BBC is non-commercial.

Edited by Llywela
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Llywela said:

A free-to-air public broadcast television network, second largest broadcaster in the UK, second only to the BBC. ITV is commercial, BBC is non-commercial.

Do only airing in UK, not on PBS?

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Once we get more details and the show is actually being made or finished, PBS or another streaming service will likely purchase the license it for USA airing.

ITV was the original home of Downton Abbey so it's not a surprise they are involved here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

I wouldn't know. Downton Abbey was originally commissioned by and for ITV, that's why they are involved again here. The original series was sold internationally and the films were released internationally, so if a new series is made, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be sold internationally again.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

The original series was played out by the time it ended. The two movies were nice codas, but that should be it. I could see them doing a spinoff or a prequel, but reviving it with the original cast seems like a mistake.

• Like 9
11 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

The original series was played out by the time it ended. The two movies were nice codas, but that should be it. I could see them doing a spinoff or a prequel, but reviving it with the original cast seems like a mistake.

I agree. If they are going there again, I really hope there are some new ideas and a definite plan. The original series was so repetitive!

• Like 2
On 5/30/2023 at 12:08 PM, Athena said:

Once we get more details and the show is actually being made or finished, PBS or another streaming service will likely purchase the license it for USA airing.

ITV was the original home of Downton Abbey so it's not a surprise they are involved here.

So streaming only?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

So streaming only?

We don't know. We literally don't even know that a new series is actually happening. There are reports that the idea is being floated, and chances are that much is true, but it might not come to anything. If and when a new series does start filming, we'll probably learn more about the plans for its release then.

• Like 3
(edited)

Has it ever been discussed that the Bates didn't have bad luck--it was Thomas every time. Thomas and O'brien ensured his arrest the first time and Thomas tipped off Scotland Yard resulting in Anna's arrest the second time. Seems their only bad luck was working with Thomas. I know everyone roots for Thomas because he's the queer character but I despise him and begrudge him any happiness he found in the subsequent movies.

I don't understand why they don't immediately threaten dismissal of impertinent servants.  The way Stohl treats Tom Branson when they go on the shooting trip is deplorable. That would have been an awesome time for Mary to deliver one of her spikey put downs.

Edited by Adgirl
  • Like 5
  • Applause 2

Have just started rewatching the series (Amazon Prime).  For whatever reason, the first season is resonating more with me than in previous viewings.  Or, maybe I have a new appreciation of it.  Good acting, amazing scenary, etc.  I will be starting season two very soon.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 12/29/2022 at 11:14 PM, renatae said:

Yes! Edith started it when she called Mary a slut and messaged the embassy. She spent a lot of time deliberately trying to mess up Mary's life. As for Mary, she was basically carelessly cruel, and I don't remember any deliberate sabotage except when she informed Edith's beau about her past at the table, after Edith's hostile moves. Oh, and when she told the elderly beau that Edith was expecting a proposal from a silly old man whom she'd made fun of.

And Edith sent the letter because Mary told Edith she was wearing an ugly dress and hat and another time insinuated Edith was "fishing with no bait." And for that, Edith sends a letter to the turkish embassy with the sole intent of completely ruining Mary. That was not a proportional response. I understand why Mary sent Edith's old goat boyfriend running by saying Edith was making fun of him. If Edith did something with the very real possibility (and intent) of it ruining Mary's prospects of ever marrying and certainly of marrying anyone of status, Mary was within her rights to respond by sending the old man running from Edith. In fact, Mary's act wasn't nearly as vicious as Edith's. She just ruined Edith's chances of marrying one man. Edith was fully intending to ruin Mary entirely.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2024 at 12:41 PM, Good Queen Jane said:

New episodes have supposedly started filming.

This is weird to me. What else could there possibly be to tell? Or are they going to have the children be grown up and we follow them? 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Fireball said:

This is weird to me. What else could there possibly be to tell? Or are they going to have the children be grown up and we follow them? 

Maybe they'll acknowledge the Stock Market Crash of 1929; it could be interesting to see them try to navigate that.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1