Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E16: I'm Still Standing

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That goes for Helm too. Patient says she has a headache and Helm blurts out "You might have had a stroke!" Great bedside manner there. Just what you want in a doctor - an alarmist. If a patient had a hangnail Helm would probably suggest amputation.

Goes back to when Owen told Schmidt last season after the baseball player came in having a rare injury happen to him. Owen told him to stop acting like some idiot and be a damn doctor or pick another career. The way him and Helm have been written all these years, you don't get how they even got THROUGH medical school. Especially, when Schmidt would pass out from blood and decided to go into surgery. Or how Helm worships the ground Meredith walks on, but can't understand how a woman's viginia can stretch to have a baby or how people can be fine one minute and then take a turn for the worst the next day no matter if it is COVID or just got diagnosed with cancer. I mean come on, they teach you that in pre-med how people can be fine one moment and then go off the deep end the next. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Meredith being head of the residency program is the progression to her being chief one day.  

This career move makes so much sense to me I can't believe they didn't do it until season 17! 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I loved the storyline of the heart patient and was stoked they found her dog for her.  For a lonely person before Covid, it must have been so difficult when everything shut down and she became more isolated.  I wish Helm bonded with her so much that she moved in with her as company.  I think Helm is going to drive Jo nuts at the loft.

I felt so sad for her.  Post vaccines, maybe she can go hang out at some dog parks and meet some kindred spirits. 

1 hour ago, shantown said:

This career move makes so much sense to me I can't believe they didn't do it until season 17! 

It's confusing to me that Richard is operating again, from what Bailey said.  Wasn't he banned from operating, and that's why he was put in charge of the interns? 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That goes for Helm too. Patient says she has a headache and Helm blurts out "You might have had a stroke!" Great bedside manner there. Just what you want in a doctor - an alarmist. If a patient had a hangnail Helm would probably suggest amputation.

I can't stand Helm. I don't even really hate her I just get annoyed every time she shows up and reminds me that she exists. Her, Nico, Glasses, Mother and Daughter Ortiz...none of them mean anything to me. They don't have real stories. But I think that's more about writing the show during COVID than anything.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Meredith being head of the residency program is the progression to her being chief one day.  

Meredith being head of the residency program means we're going to see a slew of new interns/residents pop up next season when more characters is the last thing this show needs. Meredith used to fight for surgeries, now she's going to basically transition to administration/teaching after spending an entire season bedridden. 

When Miranda said Richard was still "Chief of chiefs" I couldn't help but roll my eyes at the stupidity. Once upon a time there was a Chief Resident (a position held by a 5th-year resident), department heads (ex. Head of Cardio, Head of Ortho, Head of Peds), and then the Chief of Surgery. 

For goodness sakes, this entire season lasted a span of 3 to 4 months. (I came to this conclusion when Meredith told Miranda she wished she could rewind to 3 months ago, a time when I'm guessing she wasn't COVID-stricken) If not for the beach and the old faces, this season would've been nearly as bad as season 13 - which I rank the absolute worst.

YMMV 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

For goodness sakes, this entire season lasted a span of 3 to 4 months.

I saw a comment elsewhere complaining that the week 1, week 2... time jumps was a lazy way to tell the story and I'm thinking, "no, please jump ahead closer to the present day!" (I know the show has never necessarily been happening in real time but keeping them in the thick of Covid Spring just means that it dominates everything else at the hospital, and after living through it and seeing it on half the shows I watch, I just want to see some new stories now. 

• Love 4

Linc, I love ya but you have to start thinking before you speak. First he tells Jo to adopt Luna, which leads to Jo being turned down and in tears, and then he tells Amelia that he wants more children without checking how she feels first.

This is Grey's so Jo is probably going to get Luna. And I wouldn't be surprised if Amelia is pregnant at the end of next season. But right now she's spent months as the primary caregiver of four child with only rare visits to the hospital and she's only been getting back to work for a couple of weeks since Meredith's been home. It's not that she doesn't like kids, as she said, she's afraid of losing herself if she has more. And she's a really good neurosurgeon as this episode showed. Linc needs to give her time and talk it out with her.

The only good thing about Owen and Teddy getting back together is that Amelia is free of him now. Seeing two narcissists go in and out and in and out of their relationship is not my idea of entertaining. Much lime Nico and his relationship with Levi.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, ams1001 said:

I saw a comment elsewhere complaining that the week 1, week 2... time jumps was a lazy way to tell the story and I'm thinking, "no, please jump ahead closer to the present day!" (I know the show has never necessarily been happening in real time but keeping them in the thick of Covid Spring just means that it dominates everything else at the hospital, and after living through it and seeing it on half the shows I watch, I just want to see some new stories now. 

The funny thing for me about the time jumps is that between Meredith's six months in the hospital after being attacked, her lost year after Derek died, and April's year in the war (were those the same year?) I've never really known what year it's supposed to be in the GreysVerse but then COVID forced the show to reset to the present. I think it might be an interesting project to figure out the show's timeline but I'm not the person to do it. To quote Star Trek's Miles O'Brien "I hate temporal mechanics."

Edited by marceline
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Clearly, the person who wrote this episode is a Friends fan. First, we had the “whose door is Ross knocking on?” setup, then the “Monica sets up a room full of candles for Chandler” payoff. Personally, I think the only door Glasses should have knocked on is a realtor’s. Getting his own place, establishing some independence, and rejecting both inappropriate, unethical doctors* and asshole hot/cold boyfriends would have been a good move for his character. So of course it didn’t happen.

Meredith running residency program>> new interns>> spin-off possibilities (or a way to continue the show with a new cast and possibly occasional appearances by OG cast members).

*at least Vaccine Doctor didn’t have to shave his head first.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 5/28/2021 at 1:06 PM, ams1001 said:

RE: the preview...does anyone actually have that "does anyone object" line in their wedding anymore? I've been to plenty of weddings and I have never, ever heard that in real life.

I thought the exact same thing. 

• Love 2

I didn't mind the time jumps - they needed to jump months though, and not just weeks.  Let's get to the end of Covid and be done with it!!  I'm guessing they'll do that in the premiere next season.

• Love 4
On 5/28/2021 at 5:27 PM, KaveDweller said:

Amelia has to stop this habbit of not telling her partner she doesn't want (more) kids and running away instead. 

That is soap opera 101.

A simple conversation could solve all the misunderstandings/issues - but of course = no covo leads to BIG DRAMA! and there must always be drama.

• Love 3

A simple conversation could solve all the misunderstandings/issues - but of course = no covo leads to BIG DRAMA! and there must always be drama.

There would be no TV if people told people things they should! 

Why would Levi go back to Nico? The guy couldn't even give a drawer and then all of a sudden asks Levi to move in. Don't blame Glasses for not going for it right away. The vaccine guy was so much better, but alas, the trial would have been flawed (and we know what happens then, but you might get a Covid reprieve!). 

• Love 2