Type keyword(s) to search

FBI: International - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This was the best episode of the show so far. It kept my interest from start to finish, and it was a compelling case and investigation. It had a realistic but not completely satisfactory ending, and they knew the people who ordered the hit but didn’t have any evidence against them, but at least they were able to protect the other targets. It was nice to see no friction between the locals and the FBI team for once. This was a suspenseful, solid episode, and minimal personal drama was nice, I don’t care at all about the upcoming story with Forrestor’s mom though.

Here is the synopsis for S01.E06: The Secrets She Knows, airing on November 9, 2021:

After a U.S. intelligence negotiator goes missing and her ransacked Paris apartment is discovered to be covered in her blood, the team is on the clock to find her before the country’s nuclear secrets fall into the wrong hands. Forrester finds himself drawing certain parallels to his mother’s disappearance.

• Love 2

Okay episode, I’m just not as big of a fan of this show as I am the other 2 FBI’s, the political intrigue stuff just isn’t as appealing to me, I did like the case okay and the twists it took, but I’m just not a huge fan of spy/political intrigue stories. And I don’t care at all about Forrester’s mom, and I don’t like how the show delves into the personal lives a lot. I did like that there wasn’t a lot of conflict with the locals for the second week in a row. I do like each of the characters fine, but having Forrester and Jamie sleeping together adds nothing to the show, and I get the unfortunate feeling they may go that route with Raines and Vo as well. 

• Love 2

I actually really like this show; better than Most Wanted.  The European locales are a nice change. But like everyone else has said, I don’t like romantic relationships between the coworkers. Sadly, FBI has taken this route with Jeremy Sisto and the totally unlikeable boss. She is a character this show did not need; I have no idea why she was added to the cast. Just as a love interest?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

having Forrester and Jamie sleeping together adds nothing to the show

I keep wanting them to be found out and reprimanded.  The other two team members know, but do nothing, so it makes the whole FBI unit look like judgmental hypocrites.  I wonder how the actual FBI feels about this kind of portrayal.  It's not a good look. 
 Every time I happen to watch the show, I also wonder "why did they pick these main characters?" .  But now the show is stuck with them and their personal dramas until it ends, probably. 

The best thing this show has going for it is that it starts right after the original FBI show ends.  FBI: Most Wanted is just flat-out depressing -- we quit watching that altogether. 

I like seeing the scenes of European cities, so that helps.  Maybe they will get around to Iceland, Hong Kong and New Zealand. 

Budapest office to Paris crime scene in a matter of minutes. The trip is almost 1000 miles. Don't these show-runners know anything about geography?  And then they did the same trip in reverse to end the episode.

Criminal Minds at least showed the plane ride to and from a crime scene.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

but having Forrester and Jamie sleeping together adds nothing to the show, and I get the unfortunate feeling they may go that route with Raines and Vo as well.

The biggest "no-no" in the real world and yet TPTB need to put this into every show where there is a male/female boss/subordinate situation. It usually is a detriment to the story-lines and it seems that [most] fans don't like it. 

• Love 1

Am I the only one who is confused by the fact that the actor playing Holden Barnes looks like a younger twin of the Scott Forrester character? When I first saw the bar scene I thought it was either a flash back with Forrester or he was under cover for some reason. Only after I checked I found out they were different actors (Luke Kleintank and Dan Bittner). It was even more apparent in their scene together when the FBI comes to question him.

Luke Kleintank  

Dan Bittner

Edited by meira.hand
  • Love 2

I lost interest in the case during the Original Iranian negotiator’s long speech about how he and the analyst got together.  

As to the Generals’ ultimatum to Forrester at the end: I don’t see Forrester following this rule any better than he follows other rules. 

I was very surprised to see Cas Anvar in this, I thought he'd been pretty much blacklisted. 

I was also confused about a military person giving giving orders to an fbi agent, surely that stop looking into your mother's case directive would have come from either the fbi or cia.

If Forrester thinks he is able to check in on the analyst from time to time, he is sorely mistaken.  She may be in a SCIF facility for wayward spies, but she ain't ever getting out.  Maybe when all her secrets have long since eroded.  Or maybe she'll get a  dose of flashy-thingy from Agent J.

There is a rather disparaging acronym (likely developed by enlisted personnel) for remembering ranks of Generals.  Brigadier Major Lieutenant General.  I wish I could remember it; it was humorous.  By the way, if you're wondering why a Lieutenant General outranks a Major General, it's because the original designation was Sergeant Major General.  Gotta love Army terminology.

• Useful 1

Here is the description for S01.E07: Trying To Grab Smoke, airing November 16, 2021:

When an American founder of an illegal adults-only site is killed in Prague, the team is tasked to locate his co-founder, who is still on the run in the Czech Republic. Also, Kellett struggles to maintain a relationship with her mother due to the complications of working so far from home.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/10/2021 at 9:21 AM, preeya said:

Budapest office to Paris crime scene in a matter of minutes. The trip is almost 1000 miles. Don't these show-runners know anything about geography?  And then they did the same trip in reverse to end the episode.

Criminal Minds at least showed the plane ride to and from a crime scene.

I would like them to show a second or so of them punching coordinates into a GPS, or using Waze, as they zoom around Paris, a city they don’t live in and which has a complicated layout.

• Love 1

Terrible episode. Kellett basically helped the daughter get away with murder, at least that’s how I took it, I assume the murder weapon was in the bag she threw in the river, and her spoon feeding the dad his confession was just unethical and unprofessional and Forrester should’ve stepped in. I really hate when shows have the supposed “heroes” let people get away with murder because they think they are justified, vigilante justice is never okay, and shows shouldn’t condone it, there’s nothing heroic about taking the law into your own hands. This reminded me of something you would see on the disgusting Chicago PD show where the supposed “heroes” break the law every week. Just really left a bad taste in my mouth. Forrester is blinded by his relationship with Kellett, he’s already something of a renegade and I think had it been Raines or Vo who covered up for the daughter Forrester would’ve intervened. Disgusting, morally bankrupt episode. I think I may be done with this show, it’s by far the weakest of the 3 FBI shows, don’t like all the personal crap. I did like seeing Jess Lacroix make a cameo, I like the crossover cameos the FBI shows have, it makes them all feel connected.

• Love 3

This episode felt like it was trying to be controversial for the sake of being controversial -- to get some buzz.

If this were L&O, the twist would have been that the daughter had not killed the guy, and the father was going to prison anyway because vigilante FBI lady had destroyed needed evidence and fed him incriminating information. 

They also fell back on law enforcement's laziest way to close a case: get someone/anyone to confess. Isn't that the reason so many poor minorities ended up in jail for 20+ years back in the 60's and 70's? 

The really odd part was  putting a traumatized young woman on a bus and telling her to "live your life!",  knowing she would be living with the guilt of her elderly father going to prison for her -- and having just gunned down a person for the first time. 
Plot twist: the daughter develops a taste for murder and becomes a serial killer.

I wish an ethical, no-drama FBI team would come along and  clean up all the messes of this hypocritical, judgmental FBI team. 
..and people wonder why the average citizen doesn't trust law enforcement..

Edited by shrewd.buddha
added a line about lazy law enforcement
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I think I may be done with this show, it’s by far the weakest of the 3 FBI shows, don’t like all the personal crap. I did like seeing Jess Lacroix make a cameo, I like the crossover cameos the FBI shows have, it makes them all feel connected.

I'll give it some time. Sometimes the first season is about a show finding its rhythm.  I remember not being particularly invested in the mothership or FBI:MW during their first seasons, either.  

• Love 2

Was coming to see if others were also upset that she just let the girl get away with murder.. And the boss who's sleeping with her just let it slide... I guess cuz the two kids didn't know she did it he figured she could get away with it... I woulda preferred if one of them did know and wanted her to go down.. But then Forrester let's it happen anyway

• Love 3
12 hours ago, rove4 said:

I'll give it some time. Sometimes the first season is about a show finding its rhythm.  I remember not being particularly invested in the mothership or FBI:MW during their first seasons, either.  

I agree. I didn’t start watching the shows ‘till Jan 2020 when FBI: MW had their pilot. Didn’t think much of them at first. I feel they’re improving as they continue. That’s how/other crime shows like NCIS & Criminal Minds began. Not so great at first, eventually became a hit a few seasons later.

This week’s episode was ok. I didn’t like how Tank was missing. Where was he? He’s the best part of the show!!!

On 11/17/2021 at 5:51 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

The really odd part was  putting a traumatized young woman on a bus and telling her to "live your life!",  knowing she would be living with the guilt of her elderly father going to prison for her -- and having just gunned down a person for the first time. 

Have they showed any of Kellett's back story?  From what I could gather, her sister apparently committed suicide, and she moved away to escape the family drama.  She was acting "off" the whole case.  I thought Forrester should have noticed how off she was and would have asked her what was up.  

I did think that it was touching at the end when Kellett was out on the bridge taking pictures and apparently(?) thinking of her sister.  

Edited by nittany cougar

Here is the synopsis for S01.E08: "Voice Of The People", airing December 7, 2021:

When a group of Americans are among the victims of a bombing at a festival in Budapest, the team is brought in to find the perpetrators before they strike again. Also, when Vo’s new beau is injured in the blast, she re-evaluates what dating truly means while in the bureau.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

This was a pretty good episode, good investigation and intense case, I liked it. Good work from each team member. I hope Tank the dog is okay, he’s awesome. 

Poor Tank. He’s my favorite character! Hope he’s alright.

Is it just me, or have half of the episodes so far featured sex scenes as opening scenes?

• Love 1

Description for S01.E09: "One Kind Of Madman", airing January 4, 2022:

The team jets to Bulgaria when terrorists hold hostage for millions in cryptocurrency a concert hall filled with multinational student performers and their families. Also, Raines is intent on proving his field skills, and Forrester receives news of their dog, Tank.

Rather dull episode IMO, not much happened, just the hostage situation and the resolution, not much to it, no investigation, very little suspense. I find that this show is my least favorite of the FBI’s, and I’m not a big fan of any character. Really hope Tank the dog turns out okay, he’s the best character on the show. 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Really hope Tank the dog turns out okay, he’s the best character on the show. 

Just went through a similar situation with our dog. Outcome was negative in our case and we had to let him go. Dogs should have a much longer lifespan.  Based on the prognosis it doesn't sound too good for Tank.

• Love 1

Here is the description for S01.E10, "Close To The Sun", airing January 11, 2022:

Kellett and the Fly Team reluctantly join an investigation in Northern Ireland, when one of Kellett’s shifty yet valuable informants who’s arrested for his connection to a robbery and murder, calls her to help clear his name.

I’m disliking this show more and more - now Kellett has dragged Forrester into her lies and the mess she created by covering up for a killer, and we’re supposed to think these people are heroes? Fuck that. If I wanted to watch a show glorifying misconduct by law enforcement I would watch Chicago PD, sickening that this show has gone down the same route. Kellett is a terrible agent who should be fired and Forrester is a poor team leader for covering for her, he’s letting his emotions get in the way of his job. I was honestly rooting for the Internal Affairs agent to take down Kellett and that’s not a good sign when I’m rooting against the supposed heroes, maybe this will come back to bite both of them in the ass but I doubt it and this is probably the last we’ve heard of it and now we’re just in for relationship drama between Forrester/Kellett, blah. I’m close to giving up on this show.

The case in Ireland was okay and I did like the twist of the informant being the mastermind all along, but it was obvious the jerk cop would be dirty.

Glad Tank the dog is okay apparently, he’s basically the only character I like.

This show is such a disappointment compared to the other 2 FBI’s. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

and we’re supposed to think these people are heroes? Fuck that. If I wanted to watch a show glorifying misconduct by law enforcement I would watch Chicago PD

^My thoughts, exactly.  I was also rooting for the Internal Affairs guy and was disappointed that he was just a clumsy investigator and would only be as competent as the writers decided he should be.  He could have said they had proof that Kellett was on the bridge, then let her wonder how much evidence they had. Kellett took a pic from the bridge which would place her at the scene. Jubal and his desk jockey team from FBI:NY would make short work of their coverup with street camera footage.
Forrester jumped in with a compounding lie without knowing if there was more proof of Kellett's activities.  There's probably evidence of him alone in another location at the time.  Forrester's "love before ethics" also makes his character less appealing. 

Perhaps the main case was supposed to sway viewers into believing that Kellett's successes outweigh her corruption -- but it didn't work for me. It seems as if almost all the three FBI shows' main characters are self-righteous law enforcers. I can't root for these characters when they decide for themselves which laws and regulations they should follow.  

Are the showrunners actually attempting to get viewers to hate-watch?  I had not planned to watch this ep, but was pulled in with the hope that Kellett was about to be found out.  I won't fall for that again.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

I didn’t like Jamie’s cover up, nor do I like Forresters.  I don’t enjoy this show even without that drama.  All the accents make it hard for me 

Keep in mind that this show is actually filmed in Europe, with local casting of actors, so we’re going to be dealing with non-American accents left right and sideways.

Have to wonder why they went with a Tank is seriously ill storyline in these early episode. Definitely suggests the writer’s room is a concern.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Keep in mind that this show is actually filmed in Europe, with local casting of actors, so we’re going to be dealing with non-American accents left right and sideways.

Have to wonder why they went with a Tank is seriously ill storyline in these early episode. Definitely suggests the writer’s room is a concern.

I understand why we have all the accents. It’s totally appropriate for the show.   It just reduces the enjoyment for me because I have to listen very carefully. I’m at the age where I should get my hearing checked, which doesn’t help. 

9 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

Yeah, we were thinking “who thought this was a good idea?”. So you think you will attract viewers by giving a dog cancerous tumors? If he died, we probably would delete the show from our viewing. If he recovers in one episode, what was the point anyway? If they wanted to get rid of the dog, they could just ship him back to the States.

We usually watch a lot of shows with difficult accents with the subtitles on, but I know lots of people don’t like them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

I understand why we have all the accents. It’s totally appropriate for the show.   It just reduces the enjoyment for me because I have to listen very carefully. I’m at the age where I should get my hearing checked, which doesn’t help. 

So am I. But I routinely keep CC on for everything I watch and use earbuds watching on my tablet, live or time shifted. As to Tank, there’s aYouTube channel for a schnauzer person who has seven of them, including one who’s is older and had a cancerous toe, and  bladder and a large mass. All were removed, and that one reverted to being more of that of a four year old Han 14. So in that respect, the resolution made some sense, but as I noted earlier the story line made little sense. Tank definitely has some acute senses (smell, vision, hearing, for example, so he’s an investigative asset.

Edited by theschnauzers

Oh, joy. The MIA mother will make an appearance: * Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost) will recur on FBI: International as the long-lost mother of Luke Kleintank’s Scott Forrester, per Deadline.  "Recur", meaning more than one episode, I assume.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Oh, joy. The MIA mother will make an appearance: * Elizabeth Mitchell (Lost) will recur on FBI: International as the long-lost mother of Luke Kleintank’s Scott Forrester, per Deadline.  "Recur", meaning more than one episode, I assume.

Yuck.  That is one actress that I just don’t care to see as any character ever.  She may be a fantastic person in real life( I have no idea), but she has no personality to any of her characters. 

we already have two Female  characters with no personality  now. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

I saw that. Blech. Like this show needs more stupid melodramatic writing with these characters personal lives :-/

• Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 3:20 PM, illdoc said:

Well, her initial recurring appearance lasted an entire 25 seconds.

• Love 1
On 1/19/2022 at 10:19 PM, Maren said:

I saw that. Blech. Like this show needs more stupid melodramatic writing with these characters personal lives :-/

You must have missed Elizabeth Mitchell on The Expanse during its six season run. She even made a brief cameo during their final season which ended in January.

Last night’s was an okay episode, not a lot to it, not a whole lot of suspense or twists or anything, it will pretty obvious what was going on. I did wonder about the ending with Sabina, what exactly was going on with her, why did Forrester offer her money at the end and why did she lie to Mark about everything? That was a bit confusing to me. But it wasn’t a bad episode. I missed Tank the dog. But I did like Jubal’s crossover cameo, he’s one of my favorites and it’s nice to see them keep this show tied in with the franchise despite taking place in Europe.  I don’t look forward to the Forrester/mom storyline, this show has too much personal drama. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

. I did wonder about the ending with Sabina, what exactly was going on with her, why did Forrester offer her money at the end and why did she lie to Mark about everything?

The only thing that was giving Mark hope was Satina. So, rather than disillusion him with the truth (that she had lied about everything and was just trying to get money from him), Forrester paid her to lie to him, to tell him what he wanted to hear--that he had saved her. She ended up rejecting the money you noticed.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The only thing that was giving Mark hope was Satina. So, rather than disillusion him with the truth (that she had lied about everything and was just trying to get money from him), Forrester paid her to lie to him, to tell him what he wanted to hear--that he had saved her. She ended up rejecting the money you noticed.

Okay - that kind of makes sense - but it seems weird that Forrester would offer her a bunch of money to lie to Mark, very unethical for an agent to do so, why would he care so much in the first place. Oh well, this team isn’t very ethical anyway since Kellett let the girl get away with murder a few episodes ago and Forrester covered for her. I just can’t connect with any of these characters, I don’t find them particularly likable, I watch for the cases which are usually pretty interesting but this show isn’t nearly as good as original FBI or MW for me because I just do not care for these characters, particularly Kellett and Forrester. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, theschnauzers said:

You must have missed Elizabeth Mitchell on The Expanse during its six season run. She even made a brief cameo during their final season which ended in January.

I don't watch "The Expanse" and I'm not being snarky but what does her appearance on another show have to do with me not wanting to see more melodrama stories about the character's personal lives? It doesn't matter who they cast, this storyline - to me - is annoying and unnecessary. 

I'm on the cusp of giving this show up. I really just like the German go between lady and the dog. And now the dog is (?) gone LOL! 

• Love 3

I only liked the character of Katrin Jaeger as she is the only one that can outtalk the Fly team as well as in particular Scott. She needs to have more scenes there. And really she is like a mother hen. 

BTW despite the NYPD Deputy Inspector interfering there for his cousin and fellow officer, Mark there as you would think Scott and Jamie would show him respect there. Knowing he is a high ranking officer in the NYPD. But still Scott and Jamie showed disrespect there. Even though they were in a country where corruption among officers except for the Lt there is very high.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2021 at 1:46 AM, WendyCR72 said:

S01.E08: "Voice Of The People", airing December 7, 2021:

My third try but I still find this show pretty much impossible to watch because of the pandering to American exceptionalism. "Captain Farkas was trained at Quantico" "And I've been using everything you taught me ever since." "We can use all the help we can get." "You know the Hungarian police, you'd rather deal with us."   I have to keep CC on in order to understand names and places because the show doesn't respect Europe enough to have the American actors pronounce the names of of the people and locations in the way they would be pronounced there. Why are they calling the suspect by his first name? Would they call an American suspect by his first name all the time (e.g. Peter) instead of his last name?

I can;t figure out why the FBI agents are stationed in a broken down building with crumbling stonework and peeling paint. In the real Budapest the outsides of the buildings in Budapest have been cleaned up since the last street-fight in the 1956 revolution and interiors do not look like that. It's like they deliberately sought out the most run down buildings in the city. Why? to show how much better American buildings are?

No surprise that the conversation on radicalization of vulnerable people remained in Europe.

This show really makes me miss Ransom, another co-production with Hungary but one which didn't patronise its host.

S01.E08: "Close To The Sun"

Why would Brexit have messed up the jurisdiction situation wrt Ireland? Ireland wasn't part of Brexit. It took me until halfway through the episode before I realized that they were talking about Northern Ireland instead.

Of course the Irish cop is a coward and a turncoat. Sheesh. No one can live up to the FBI.

Tonight’s episode was very good IMO, I found the case to be quite compelling. I never saw the twist that the perp and the victim’s wife were in it together coming, that was a great twist. I liked how Jaeger got some more screen time than normal, I like her. I don’t care at all about Forrester’s mom and whether she’s good or bad, and I still can’t really connect with these characters as much as I can the characters on the other 2 FBI’s, but none of the characters annoyed me tonight and I liked the case of the week a lot. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Tonight’s episode was very good IMO, I found the case to be quite compelling. I never saw the twist that the perp and the victim’s wife were in it together coming, that was a great twist. I liked how Jaeger got some more screen time than normal, I like her. I don’t care at all about Forrester’s mom and whether she’s good or bad, and I still can’t really connect with these characters as much as I can the characters on the other 2 FBI’s, but none of the characters annoyed me tonight and I liked the case of the week a lot. 

. . . and we did get a runner. Even in Germany!

• LOL 1
On 2/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, statsgirl said:

Why would Brexit have messed up the jurisdiction situation wrt Ireland? Ireland wasn't part of Brexit. It took me until halfway through the episode before I realized that they were talking about Northern Ireland instead.

Republic of Ireland is EU, Northern Ireland is a United Kingdom constituent country. ROI is still EU, while Northern Ireland and the rest of UK are out. ROI and NI of course share a land border, which was of little concern for trade and travel when they were both part of EU. Now, goods have to be inspected etc. upon arrival in NI from the rest of Europe, and can then be imported to ROI. The UK is now trying to end this "Ireland Protocol" because it is limiting its ability to conduct trade between Great Britain and Northern Ireland (which are both UK). The EU has strict regulations on things like eggs and meat, and UK no longer wants to have those restrictions between GB and NI.  If that changes so that UK has free trade between GB and NI, then the border with ROI becomes an enforced border with regular trade restrictions between NI and ROI. So now you've got a long land border that requires trade checks, passport controls, etc. It offends many Irish sensibilities to have a hard border between ROI and NI (ref: The Troubles), and the border issue is now bolstering the "One Island, One Ireland" movement.  Umm, long story short what used to be one jurisdiction, the EU, is now two jurisdictions, EU/ROI and UK/NI. Now you have two jurisdictions on the island rather than one.  

Sorry that is so long. I'm going to GB and ROI next month, so I've spent some time on it!

The whole jurisdiction thing on this show is weird. I know we have FBI overseas, and even NYPD overseas (and more I'm unaware of, I'm sure). Does this just help with investigating American cases with an international aspect, rather than just liasing with Interpol or local jurisdictions? I can easily see why governments and citizens would be less than receptive to the FBI presence . . . anywhere, and less likely to cooperate, etc. I guess it gives them easier access to our intelligence network, but it seems weird to me.

My real problem with this show is the pants. The women's trousers, in particular. I thought it was maybe just Jamie's terrible fashion choice to wear super cropped pleated trousers, but I clocked them on ScottMom, too. As you can see, it distracts & irritates me! Only the important shit here.

In this Frankfurt episode, I did like the agent, whose name escapes me, showing off more than his tech skills -- I enjoyed seeing how much he knew about the financial aspects of the case too.

It was hard for me to suspend my disbelief that they did not check the effing key in the door of the neighbor's home. Seemed obvious to me. And WOW did the neighbor lady lose me with "BUT HE WAS BORING!"

• Useful 1