Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: The Adirondacks

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mr.Mango said:

Philip (music teacher guy) had on a white vest, the other guys had on black. He's dressed as a groom. 

Good eye! I didn't notice that, but I also didn't notice the women's clothes in Kevin's room. (Then again, I was watching on a 10 inch tablet instead of my TV so I probably missed a lot of background stuff.) And welcome!

2 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Madison is wearing her 'wedding' earrings. Another detail of significance - it's just not clear what it means. Is she married now? And if so, is she married to Kevin or someone else? Or is she wearing the earrings in a 'Screw you Mom - I'm wearing those things whenever I want to' kind of way?

I feel like if I were Madison, after the way her mom gave them to her and then left, those earrings would be the last thing I'd want to wear on my wedding day, or any other day.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Mr.Mango said:

My first post on Primetimer!  I rewatched the upcoming scenes and I don't think this has been mentioned .  The notepaper Kevin is reading his wedding speech from says "Big Three Homes." 

I think Kevin ends up with Madison. When Kevin went into the women's dressing room, Madison made a comment about telling Kevin 100 times already to not come in. They were also touchy with one another. Their interactions seemed  more like they are a couple. 

Philip (music teacher guy) had on a white vest, the other guys had on black. He's dressed as a groom. 

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I feel like if I were Madison, after the way her mom gave them to her and then left, those earrings would be the last thing I'd want to wear on my wedding day, or any other day.

This times ten. I'm not superstitious but those earrings would feel tainted to me. Unless since the words that went along with them were, maybe you'll find somebody better than your father, she's like, yes mother, I found somebody way better.  But I still wouldn't wear them.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ShadowFacts said:

maybe you'll find somebody better than your father

"And hopefully he comes with a mom better than you."

I forgot her mom said that. It's like, "you're dad is a horrible person so I'mma leave you here with him. Have a nice life."

• Love 4
On 5/28/2021 at 12:06 PM, ShadowFacts said:

I think Randall will end up doing something noble with it, or else move in and run for Senate in Louisiana

I predict that we never see or hear about the house again.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

Do we actually know what became of Madison's mother after she just walked out on her daughter and husband, Madison's father?  Did something happen which made the earrings sentimental for another reason?  Who gave Madison's mum the earrings to begin with?  Perhaps it's just that this is all Mads has left to remember her mother by.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

"And hopefully he comes with a mom better than you."

I forgot her mom said that. It's like, "you're dad is a horrible person so I'mma leave you here with him. Have a nice life."

Right?  There has been a lot of questionable and downright awful parenting and parent behavior on this show, but Madison's mom wins Worst Mother Ever.

• Love 8
On 5/26/2021 at 1:22 AM, bybrandy said:

I really did expect that Kate would be married by 2030, at least, but I really thought it was going to be Timothy Omundson not the music teacher.   

But she said this is the last time she is ever getting married if she and Toby were temporary divorced she'd be planning to remarry Toby at some point... I mean saying that now doesn't mean she and Toby won't remarry in or after 2030.  Life is long and complicated.  But if she and Toby's split was meant to be temporary she wouldn't be so certain this was her last ever wedding.

now I want her to be marrying Tim Omundson's character

I'm guessing they didn't make that choice just in case he got another Psych movie (and there is going to be a third Psych Movie - entitled This Is Gus) or in case he had other health issues crop up.

• Love 4
On 5/26/2021 at 9:12 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I totally want to see an episode of Nicky and Miguel on a road trip together.

Nicky and Miguel go on a trip to find Nicky's lost love.

and Annie snuck into the car to spend time with her grandpa and great-uncle.

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

Nicky and Miguel go on a trip to find Nicky's lost love.

and Annie snuck into the car to spend time with her grandpa and great-uncle.

Uncle Nicky and Miguel take Annie bowling!

• LOL 12
  • Love 3

If Kevin was going to end up with Sophie I think they would have eased her more into this season.  I have no doubt Kevin will find out her drama, though ( why did she change her number).

Ive always like Madison.  She clearly stated she’s in love with Kevin.  I think they will take it slow , co parent and Kevin will fall in love with her.  Since the show made a big deal out if him not being able to say I  love you, we will get a big production out of it next season.  I want Madison to be happy.

• Love 19
(edited)
3 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

If Kevin was going to end up with Sophie I think they would have eased her more into this season.  I have no doubt Kevin will find out her drama, though ( why did she change her number).

Ive always like Madison.  She clearly stated she’s in love with Kevin.  I think they will take it slow , co parent and Kevin will fall in love with her.  Since the show made a big deal out if him not being able to say I  love you, we will get a big production out of it next season.  I want Madison to be happy.

I do too but waiting for Kevin to feel in love with her and not pretending? She deserves better than that. He thought she was cute enough for a hook up.  She carried his children, their children but everything was for them. He wanted to see them at hospital, their birth, not so much Madison. He was in love with the idea of making a life from that hookup, to make it normal.  Even Miguel dated and knew Rebecca.  Nicky hit a nerve. it was a nerve most felt and stayed quiet about. 
What I didn’t like about the finale is that they made a Wedding that was obviously not going to happen most of the last episode when that could’ve been decided weeks ago. Let’s just take some time, the babies won’t know if we’re married or not married. I’ll be here just as much whether I live down the street or in another room and take a breath. Nothing about planning a wedding is taking a breath. Although the writing for the show is genuinely much better, I thought the plot of the show was lacking, not the jokes etc. it wasted a day and if he did marry her later a yawn. Oh boy,  Kevin took another year or two to realize he couldn’t find anyone else or felt guilty  and came back.  One day he looked at Madison and realized he was nuts. I hope they write this well since a lot of time will be on it. I do feel for Dan because as some fans who love Sophie have chronicles and interviews etc and hints of their end game for years. To have  to switch direction ( if he did) took some doing and as he said will make some people upset but to keep intrigue will leave it vague and drop hints like “ don’t wonder who he is with, just that he’s happy”  okay..... lol. 

I hope to see Nicky give his sage and unfiltered advice to Annie and hear her laugh and finally have more than one line! Let her go on a car trip ;).  We need to know her too before show ends.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 8

I'm here for a road trip of Annie with Grandpa Miguel and Uncle Nicky!

We need some distraction of what will be the misery plot line of Toby and Kate's marriage falling apart. 

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I'm here for a road trip of Annie with Grandpa Miguel and Uncle Nicky!

We need some distraction of what will be the misery plot line of Toby and Kate's marriage falling apart. 

We need all kinds of new material to distract from that and the who will Kevin end up with intrigue. Which does not intrigue me.

• Love 7

Kate and Toby not being together in the future has been hinted.  I was just hoping they would make it work.  So far the problems in the marriage are fixable.  If they would only talk to each other.   Really hope we see Toby happy in the future.  It’s sad to think the last memory of his character is lying alone in hotel (?) being depressed.  
  The little moment we saw of Annie and Deja teasing being sisters was sweet.   More of that please.  Both of them looked beautiful. 
UO Beth made one ugly dress.  Reminds me of dance recitals. 
  The flashblack to Jack and Rebecca was sweet.  I remember as a kid always being afraid my parents would divorce. My brother and made a cd of all love songs and gave it to them after one of their arguments .  They are still together although who knows after quarantine.  

• Love 4
6 hours ago, debraran said:

I do too but waiting for Kevin to feel in love with her and not pretending? She deserves better than that. He thought she was cute enough for a hook up.  She carried his children, their children but everything was for them. He wanted to see them at hospital, their birth, not so much Madison. He was in love with the idea of making a life from that hookup, to make it normal.  Even Miguel dated and knew Rebecca.  Nicky hit a nerve. it was a nerve most felt and stayed quiet about. 
What I didn’t like about the finale is that they made a Wedding that was obviously not going to happen most of the last episode when that could’ve been decided weeks ago. Let’s just take some time, the babies won’t know if we’re married or not married. I’ll be here just as much whether I live down the street or in another room and take a breath. Nothing about planning a wedding is taking a breath. Although the writing for the show is genuinely much better, I thought the plot of the show was lacking, not the jokes etc. it wasted a day and if he did marry her later a yawn. Oh boy,  Kevin took another year or two to realize he couldn’t find anyone else or felt guilty  and came back.  One day he looked at Madison and realized he was nuts. I hope they write this well since a lot of time will be on it. I do feel for Dan because as some fans who love Sophie have chronicles and interviews etc and hints of their end game for years. To have  to switch direction ( if he did) took some doing and as he said will make some people upset but to keep intrigue will leave it vague and drop hints like “ don’t wonder who he is with, just that he’s happy”  okay..... lol. 

I hope to see Nicky give his sage and unfiltered advice to Annie and hear her laugh and finally have more than one line! Let her go on a car trip ;).  We need to know her too before show ends.

I thought Sophie was goIng to be end game for a long time.  Maybe she still is?  In the flash forward, Kevin did ask the kids how is your Mom.  I’m still a Madison fan.  Sounds like no one has ever fallen in love with her.  I’m  hoping for your the love of my life moment with Madison next season.

cant wait for all the wrapped up storylines. 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

I thought Sophie was goIng to be end game for a long time.  Maybe she still is?  In the flash forward, Kevin did ask the kids how is your Mom.  I’m still a Madison fan.  Sounds like no one has ever fallen in love with her.  I’m  hoping for your the love of my life moment with Madison next season.

cant wait for all the wrapped up storylines. 

When was that re the mom reference. I’ve listened to future episode clips but I only hear his daughter ask how he is. The missing presence and lack of anyone asking was done on purpose but you feel the omission.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, debraran said:

When was that re the mom reference. I’ve listened to future episode clips but I only hear his daughter ask how he is. The missing presence and lack of anyone asking was done on purpose but you feel the omission.

I thought it was in episode 9, The Ride, but when I just looked on nbc.com., the last scene in Rebecca's room is missing.  It ends with Randall and Deja on the front step, and it should go on to them in the room I think?  I'm confused now. Maybe the continuation is in another episode.

17 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I thought it was in episode 9, The Ride, but when I just looked on nbc.com., the last scene in Rebecca's room is missing.  It ends with Randall and Deja on the front step, and it should go on to them in the room I think?  I'm confused now. Maybe the continuation is in another episode.

I think this has most 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)

I see that Kevin has a wedding ring on in that scene, so that’s good. And although Toby is alone in the bed, the pillowcases are embroidered with initials. Maybe that means something.

Frankly, this last episode pissed me off. Reminds me a little bit of watching MASH.  No happy event could ever take place without incoming wounded spoiling it. Madison should’ve made up her mind way before the wedding day. Sometimes it seems that she is looking for someone to love her overwhelmingly and prove it.  Maybe as a way to give her self-worth. Madison expressed dismay over the thought of having to travel with Kevin and the kids when Kevin had a location shoot.  She expected Kevin to give up good career roles in order to stay home with her. She also didn’t want him to find them a house she felt more comfortable in her own little house, so Kevin had to stay there too.  These seem like Prove You Love Me requests.  I’m not sure Kevin could ever love her enough.

eta:  Madison also wasn’t happy with the wedding plans.  She wanted her perfect dream location.

Edited by Pattycake2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, tribeca said:

Kate and Toby not being together in the future has been hinted.  I was just hoping they would make it work.  So far the problems in the marriage are fixable.  If they would only talk to each other.   Really hope we see Toby happy in the future.  It’s sad to think the last memory of his character is lying alone in hotel (?) being depressed.  
  The little moment we saw of Annie and Deja teasing being sisters was sweet.   More of that please.  Both of them looked beautiful. 
UO Beth made one ugly dress.  Reminds me of dance recitals. 
  The flashblack to Jack and Rebecca was sweet.  I remember as a kid always being afraid my parents would divorce. My brother and made a cd of all love songs and gave it to them after one of their arguments .  They are still together although who knows after quarantine.  

Maybe Kate will be at the alter with British Guy and they get to the part about whoever objects to the marriage speak now or forever hold your peace and Toby runs in with the ghost of Jack Pearson and screams, "No, I love you, Kate come run away with me".

I really hope this does not happen.

• LOL 12
7 hours ago, debraran said:

I thought he asked the twins when they walk in the room. Sorry may be wrong. But definitely wearing a ring so he marries someone.

• Love 1
(edited)

It took a while to catch up with this thread... lot's of great thoughts.

I'm pretty sure that Toby and Kate's marriage ends with Toby cheating.  He seems particularly chagrined in the 10-year FF, like he was the bad guy in all this.  And everyone just seems giddy about Kate getting a happy 2nd marriage.

I also spent time going through the last scene carefully.  As someone mentioned above, Kevin is sharing a room with a woman, and I'm pretty sure that woman would have been in the room with Madison and Beth having champagne with Kate.  Neither Madison nor Kevin had a wedding ring on in that scene (as far as I could tell).  I'm betting on Kevin and Madison together in 5 years.

Nice to see a future Big 3 Construction Company.  Hope that Kevin and Miguel bond over building Rebecca's house, and I'm on team Rebecca-gave-Kevin-a-project on this one.

Finally, although I really enjoy this show, I'm glad that the season of Randall-angst is over.  Looking forward to an interesting season 6.

Edited by ChuChu
  • Love 7
On 5/26/2021 at 2:13 PM, geauxaway said:

Um, health insurance for a newborn and special needs toddler??  Not to mention his own meds.  COBRA is expensive AF for a family.

Maybe part of the severance was that they got insurance paid for for x months? they might also qualify for charity care at the hospital - and it looks like in CA, if they earn under 36k a year, they'd all get california's version of medicaid and, well, with Kate being a classroom aide, that isn't a full time job, even if it is, that's 25-30k if they are lucky

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

WHOA.  Thank you for that link, debraran!  I've always thought they were endgame based only on child Kevin's "I love her".  But wow - those arguments are very compelling.

I would love to see him bring her donuts and maybe mumble something about “ I’ve gotta go see about a girl”.  I want Madison happy too but after the months TIU wasted on their drama, the endless wedding talk, Kevin wanting it to look perfect, the bachelor parties and finally 40 min of a wedding most knew wouldn’t happen, it would be nice to see them coparenting and very close but waiting for a guy to fall in love with you is not romantic. How long does that go on? Kevin’s 40 not a teen who doesn’t know himself. He’s always trying to fit in a vision. He’s guilty because he wants it so much and he can’t.  I’m glad Madison saw it and wouldn’t marry a man who didn’t love her.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

Maybe part of the severance was that they got insurance paid for for x months? they might also qualify for charity care at the hospital - and it looks like in CA, if they earn under 36k a year, they'd all get california's version of medicaid and, well, with Kate being a classroom aide, that isn't a full time job, even if it is, that's 25-30k if they are lucky

Yep some companies do that. When I was let go I would have gotten six months of insurance at my employee rate. Thankfully I found another job right away though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I would love to see him bring her donuts and maybe mumble something about “ I’ve gotta go see about a girl”.  I want Madison happy too but after the months TIU wasted on their drama, the endless wedding talk, Kevin wanting it to look perfect, the bachelor parties and finally 40 min of a wedding most knew wouldn’t happen, it would be nice to see them coparenting and very close but waiting for a guy to fall in love with you is not romantic. How long does that go on? Kevin’s 40 not a teen who doesn’t know himself. He’s always trying to fit in a vision. He’s guilty because he wants it so much and he can’t.  I’m glad Madison saw it and wouldn’t marry a man who didn’t love her.

Right, not romantic and not what Madison needs to be doing for herself. As much as I say I don't care who Kevin ends up with, it occurred to me that Kevin does not need someone who said as Madison did that she's in love with him and he's so easy to fall in love with. Fine to a point, but does he need someone who is besotted like a fan? Who blurted the hookup info to Kate the first chance she got. He might do better with someone on more solid ground with who he really is, past failures and all.  I think we know who that is

Spoiler

and her other show's next season is about to stream on Netflix, so she may have some time free for other jobs.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, tribeca said:

=

Eh, it is one moment.  That doesn't indicate he's been depressed the whole time and his depression may be about saying goodbye to his former mother in law and helping his children get through saying goodbye to their grandmother... or maybe when Kate and the kids turn up at the ultracabin kate confesses that she and.....music teacher have split and they get their flirt on leaving it hopeful for a reconcilliation in future.   

I think we're going to find that Kevin and Sophie give it one more shot but in the end when he finally has a chance to have everything be right with Sophie he is thinking about Maddison.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I don’t remember.  Have we seen Madison’s ex before?  Wouldn’t it be a kick if the twins weren’t Kevins?  Nah, they’ll probably just continue the Jerry Maguire theme and Kevin will realize that he really does love Madison.  That she “completes him.” 

Edited by Pattycake2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Pattycake2 said:

I don’t remember.  Have we seen Madison’s ex before?  Wouldn’t it be a kick if the twins weren’t Kevins?

i think if Maddison were so desperate to trap Kevin to do a fake paternity thing, I think she would have gone through with the wedding.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Pattycake2 said:

I don’t remember.  Have we seen Madison’s ex before?  Wouldn’t it be a kick if the twins weren’t Kevins?  Nah, they’ll probably just continue the Jerry Maguire theme and Kevin will realize that he really does love Madison.  That she “completes him.” 

But why redo things? With all the ways to love someone why reuse Princess Bride. For 5 years it was Sophie’s and Kevins thing. Why do Jerry when he did mission statement for Sophie. Wouldn’t a new person deserve something new?  Do you fall in love with someone because you knocked them up? Sure it could happen and probably did but you can’t manufacture feelings beyond sexual without it being there . You can’t mix up admiration with love. What will Kevin see he missed before? In the future  it is what Dan wants and can do but after over a year it hasn’t happened.  
I realize it was a joke but Madison’s ex was probably to bring up ghosting and Kevin but how long ago was her encounter??? 😉I’m sure no birth control then either unless he was smarter 

Edited by debraran
  • Love 2
On 5/25/2021 at 8:03 PM, ams1001 said:

Glad it was Madison who called it off...and didn't wait until they got to the altar.

Flash forward (5 years ahead, apparently): Huh. Not sure how I feel about that development.

Guess the speculation that Toby is alone in the flash forwards was correct...so the long distance thing didn't work out so well?

We’ve already seen Toby acquire an office wife when he felt neglected. I can see him being susceptible to cheating on Kate. 

• Love 5
On 5/25/2021 at 9:00 PM, LexieLily said:

Maybe it really does all go back to Miguel's speech at the bachelor party and how Kevin and Madison weren't written in the stars (two single people that were barely acquainted magically and immediately falling in love and marrying after the birth of their unplanned one-night-stand babies), but written together (Madison breaks up with Kevin before the wedding but shortly after they begin to date, slowly, and get to know each other, and fall in love for real.)

I hope so. That kind of love can be very deep, based on truly getting to know one another and not being overly dazzled by sexual attraction, etc. 

or, since the writers invoked “Dynasty” to such a degree, maybe next season will kick off with a nod to “Dallas,” as Madison wakes up to find Kevin getting out of the shower. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Who knows - maybe the show's throwing a major curve-ball and Madison ends up with Toby? They got along pretty well on the playground a couple of episodes back 😁

If not Madison I want Kevin to end up with Cassidy. Anyone but Sophie - I'm so tired of that twu luv stuff.

• Love 6
On 5/30/2021 at 7:16 AM, debraran said:

I do too but waiting for Kevin to feel in love with her and not pretending?

But I think it's already happening.  Kevin couldn't say that he was in love with Madison as she is with him at this point, but I think something is happening with him.  What Zoe said might have thrown him for a loop. Maybe next season we'll see him realize that it isn't what Zoe said--him simply wanting what Madison wants.  It's him being in love with Madison.

In the flash forward, Kevin did ask the kids how is your Mom.

That doesn't necessarily mean he isn't with Madison.  Everything about that house suggests that it's enormous. Maybe Madison is also in the house in the flash forward, but we haven't seen her yet.  "How is your mom" could be a question if Madison went to lay down or had to excuse herself from the group for another reason. Kevin could be checking on her--How's your mom? (Is she OK?)

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, Ohmo said:

But I think it's already happening.  Kevin couldn't say that he was in love with Madison as she is with him at this point, but I think something is happening with him.  What Zoe said might have thrown him for a loop. Maybe next season we'll see him realize that it isn't what Zoe said--him simply wanting what Madison wants.  It's him being in love with Madison.

That doesn't necessarily mean he isn't with Madison.  Everything about that house suggests that it's enormous. Maybe Madison is also in the house in the flash forward, but we haven't seen her yet.  "How is your mom" could be a question if Madison went to lay down or had to excuse herself from the group for another reason. Kevin could be checking on her--How's your mom? (Is she OK?)

I never heard Mom mentioned, I thought I did, but reviewing clips, I misunderstood his daughter. (unless something was cut from clips) How is your mom sounds like he doesn't see her regularly so maybe it didn't happen.

The thing Zoe said wasn't the first time. Claire, Sophie's mom told him that when he was younger and told him that later. Sophie echoed it too. Zoe was just again pointing out the obvious that he always tries to make everything okay but has to think about himself. I think when the writers reminded us of that, it fit more for me. If it had been just Zoe, not as much.  When Kevin and Sophie dated in high school and then married, Claire was always rooting for Kevin. She kept an autographed picture of him and wrote, “Never settle,” on it. 

I think Nicky was right and might have suggested waiting earlier if he wasn't living with them and eating their food and in love with the twins. ; )

I feel if he loved her he'd picture a future. He couldn't at party or later at wedding. He only could think of his kids. I hope for Kevin, it ends with a believable scenario and when we say goodbye it is with a smile and no tears. Well, not too many.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

I read a couple references to Toby being in bed/depressed in the future. Didn't we already see that happen? I am probably conflating things, but I feel sure I remember this scene playing out when Toby was off his meds?

• Love 2
13 hours ago, debraran said:

The thing Zoe said wasn't the first time. Claire, Sophie's mom told him that when he was younger and told him that later. Sophie echoed it too. Zoe was just again pointing out the obvious that he always tries to make everything okay but has to think about himself. I think when the writers reminded us of that, it fit more for me. If it had been just Zoe, not as much.  When Kevin and Sophie dated in high school and then married, Claire was always rooting for Kevin. She kept an autographed picture of him and wrote, “Never settle,” on it. 

That's an interesting choice of words from Sophie's mom.  I know the show is going in the Kevin-Sophie HEA direction, but I fail to see how that ending does not have one or both of them settling.  

• Love 4
14 hours ago, debraran said:

I never heard Mom mentioned, I thought I did, but reviewing clips, I misunderstood his daughter. (unless something was cut from clips) How is your mom sounds like he doesn't see her regularly so maybe it didn't happen.

I thought I did, too, and now can't find that, either. I remember wondering if he said "how" is your mom, or "where" is your mom.  Was I drifting off to sleep at the time and dreamed it? I don't know. We're clearly meant to wonder and be on pins and needles as to that wedding ring of his, and who's going to be pulling up in the car with Toby and Kate's kids.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I thought I did, too, and now can't find that, either. I remember wondering if he said "how" is your mom, or "where" is your mom.  Was I drifting off to sleep at the time and dreamed it? I don't know. We're clearly meant to wonder and be on pins and needles as to that wedding ring of his, and who's going to be pulling up in the car with Toby and Kate's kids.

It’s a weird This Is Us Mandela Effect! I don’t remember him saying that, but obviously a lot of people do!

3 hours ago, Jeddah said:

It’s a weird This Is Us Mandela Effect! I don’t remember him saying that, but obviously a lot of people do!

Yes, I can see that I would never be able to do an identification as a witness under oath.  I could never trust myself to be accurate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ShadowFacts said:

Yes, I can see that I would never be able to do an identification as a witness under oath.  I could never trust myself to be accurate.

I don’t have the confidence that I am 100% right all of the time like the Pearsons do!

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
On 5/27/2021 at 12:35 PM, ams1001 said:

According to state law, you have to be 5 by October 1st, but localities can set different dates, apparently, though the state "recommends" they use the 1st. But I did a little more googling; I couldn't find a date for Alpine specifically, but it looks like Bergen County (where Alpine is) also uses October 1. Then I found a list of towns that have later cutoffs, one of which is Tenafly. Alpine public school students go to Tenafly high school, so I suppose it's possible they would use the same date. But that date is October 15th, so she still would have missed it (there are five towns that use the 15th, and two that use the 31st, but those two are in Middlesex county.)

I know, I'm overthinking this. Probably just because I know if I had been born a day later I would have almost certainly been a year behind in school and sometimes I wonder how that would have changed my life.

But this is a world where it takes an hour to drive from practically-NYC-North-Jersey to Philly (despite the fact that it takes an hour and half from my house in central Jersey) so who the heck knows. She can be in any grade they want her to be.

I feel like sometimes they've forgotten how old she's supposed to be, anyway (despite the fact that her birthdate is one of the few that has been explicitly shown...heck, even the TIU Wiki doesn't know Annie's birthday!). I know the actress is older, too, which doesn't help. (I have no idea why you would cast a child three years older (the actress was born in August 2005) than her character if you plan to have that character on the show for several years. She may have looked young enough at the beginning but it's almost guaranteed she'll start looking older at some point. I know Hollywood often casts 20 somethings as teens, but casting a 12yo as a 9yo is even more of a stretch, especially as she gets older. A lot changes in those years.)

Alpine uses October 15th instead of Oct 1 - https://www.alpineschool.org/registration/kindergarten-registration

• Useful 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That's an interesting choice of words from Sophie's mom.  I know the show is going in the Kevin-Sophie HEA direction, but I fail to see how that ending does not have one or both of them settling.  

yes, I forgot so much of the episodes and forgot how much of a second mom she was to Kevin. She went to his shows, she encouraged him. When Kevin’s mother, Rebecca (Mandy Moore), didn’t remember to watch his tiny appearance in the soap opera, Days of Our Lives, Claire did. She told him he was “movie-star handsome.” She always knew that he would be a massive star, and Kevin felt a lot closer to Claire than he did his mother at many times in his life. When he was down she told him football was not everything. Rebecca wasn't in a good place and wasn't on her radar. I had forgotten this scene, this scene was what made me think, prior to Virgin River, Dan had it mapped out with Sophie. (who knows maybe he does) Kevin says it's too late because of the fiance that never happened probably but then he had Madison pregnant an episode later. I never noticed (duh) he wrote "don't settle" on his "I made it picture" he decided not to leave on her grave. ; )  It's been on 5 seasons but it's hard to remember things from 3 seasons ago or even one sometimes and sometimes I wonder if we are supposed too. Luckily there are always articles and clips online. It helps with the future scenes too.

https://www.nbc.com/this-is-us/video/kevin-wishes-he-had-one-more-chance-with-sophie-this-is-us-episode-highlight/4106907

Edited by debraran
  • Love 4

Rebecca could have spent her son's wedding day helping her granddaughters get ready to be bridesmaids. Should could have spent it offering to do last minute tasks. She could have been giving support for her new daughter-in-law. She could have been getting dressed or playing solitaire.

What she should probably not have been doing is insisting on having a painful discussion with the groom's best man.  While Kevin was running around trying to find Randall to help out with the bower disaster, Randall was made to have an unsettling conversation with Rebecca. When Kevin finally did find him, he got to see his Mom weeping on his wedding day - and not happy tears. 

Is it too much to ask Rebecca to spend one day focussing (or at least not actively distracting herself and casting a cloud over the event) on her son who has specifically said that he felt neglected? 

Now I know Lauren has risen from the dead before, but she is unlikely to do so again. So, I'm not sold on the urgency of this conversation. Sure, Randall was leaving tomorrow, but the Pearsons jet around the country like most people walk to the local grocery store. The conversation didn't need to happen on that day.

In other news, Rebecca moved to LA to help out with baby Jack. Maybe she could help solve the problem of the two working parents. I was kind of surprised that was never considered as an option. It was the goto solution Randall had to solve his exact same problem (when he got elected in another state) - but Rebecca was moving to LA.

This was effectively a repeat of the day the Pearson's finally decided to watch Kevin film The Manny. Rebecca is focussed on one of her other kids. One of his siblings is having marital problems. Randall and Beth are distracted. Miguel is present for Kevin. At least this time he also had Nicky helping out and totally devoted to the event and Randall was actively trying to be supportive (Randall wanted no part in the distraction).

Compare and contrast with Kate's wedding shown at the end where everybody is focussed on making the day a success and are full of smiles. There is still chaos, but everyone is pulling in one direction. 

• Love 12