Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E15: Blown Away

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

When members of an NCIS Regional Enforcement Action Capabilities Training Team (REACT) are killed during an explosion, NCIS Special Agent Jessica Knight, the lone surviving member, helps crack the case using high-tech body armor.

This episode felt off to me, like Agent Knight was a little too cheerful and peppy after having just lost her team. It just made me compare it to the far superior episode “Grace Period” when Agent Cassidy also lost her team in a bombing. That episode treated the situation much more seriously and I loved seeing Cassidy’s rage and devastation throughout that ep. Oh well, more often then not lately NCIS has been hit or miss for me, (mostly miss, lol). It is what it is, I’m a completist, so I’m in til the end.

• Love 11

I liked this episode - although I pegged the ultimate villain as being the head agent from the beginning, it was still a good case with good investigative work, and I like being able to see the team solve cases without Gibbs. While I like Gibbs overall, sometimes he irritates me, and I like seeing NCIS team led by McGee solving cases without him.

I liked Knight and I wonder if she will be a permanent member of the team, I think they planned on Gibbs leaving at the end of this season and I’m really not sure how Gibbs will come back to NCIS. But I thought Knight had good chemistry with the rest of the team.

I liked Palmer’s role a lot, frequently he’s the best part of the show as I really like how his character has developed, and I liked his key role in solving the case and his conversation with Knight.

The one part that annoyed me was everyone treating Gibbs desk as some holy place that no one is allowed to touch, jeez, Gibbs may never return and the reverence other characters have for him gets old. And Gibbs didn’t even seem to miss or care about his team that much. The subplot of Gibbs and the reporter on the trail of the serial killer was okay and it was interesting to have 2 separate storylines, but I was more into the main case.

Overall I liked the episode. 

• Love 6

I had the opposite reaction. The main case was a bit of a drag but I was interested in the Gibbs storyline. Although, Palmer was great. I am tired of a member of a team being allowed to take part in the investigation of her team. I also was trying to think of she was being set up for the spinoff of NCIS Hawaii.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

I also was trying to think of she was being set up for the spinoff of NCIS Hawaii.

I wondered that too but I think it's more likely that she'll join this show.  McGee's comment that "sometimes your family expands" sounded like he's already in the process of getting her moved to his team. 

I enjoyed the show.  I missed Lucy.

• Love 7

I liked the episode. Knight was sharp & intense, something NCIS has been missing since Gibbs was suspended. She had good chemistry with everyone. Torres & McGee even seemed impressed! Not sure about Bishop. Probably too focused on Torres lol.

My prediction is she will join the force after this year & hook up with Jimmy. Idk, I have a feeling she wants a rather “nice guy” like good ol Jimbo. Something big is about to happen. Question is, what could that be?🤔

• Love 5

this felt like a backdoor pilot for the proposed NCIS Hawaii to me.  I'm fully expecting agent whats-her-name to be transferred there and be part of the new team.   I too was more interested in Gibbs and the reporter than the supposed A story about the bombing.  

• Love 1

I think that the new agent is going to be Jack's replacement.   She was the negotiator on her murdered team, correct?   She more than likely has some kind of training or background in psychology and she seems very badass, so my guess is she's staying with this team.  And I agree that she is going to be set up as a possible love interest for Jimmy, or even possibly Torres if Bishop leaves the show.  

• Love 4

I don't think this was a backdoor pilot for NCIS: Hawaii.  And I'm OK with that.  Katrina Law played a pretty major character on Hawaii 5-0 in recent seasons, and that character was high up in the Army Military Police, though when she was introduced she'd been busted all the way back to traffic patrol MP work.  I don't think they can bring "Jessica Knight" to head up NCIS: Hawaii.  If they wanted to do the mother of all crossovers, they could have brought back "Quinn Liu" who got sideways of her Army superiors once too often, and made the jump to sort-of civilian life through heading up the NCIS office at JBPHH.  But that ship has sailed, now that she's NCIS agent Knight.

I really liked the speculation above that she joins the team and hooks up with Jimmy.  Katrina Law really had good chemistry with everyone, and though the business about Gibbs's desk was annoying, I loved it when the realization came over her and she was all "Holy crap, I was invading sacred territory!"  I was annoyed with the desk thing mostly because it was just sooooo stupid--just say "that's Gibbs's desk, he doesn't like people sitting there"--and we've played that game before with Kate's desk early on in the series. 

I used to like the Bishop character, but this overly serious, frowny face person is boring.  If she's secretly in training to be the new Ziva, then show us that.  If not, then do something with her rather than have her standing there woodenly in scenes.  I don't think it is the actress, I think it is the writing.

I loved the Gibbs and Marcie scenes in her apartment where she was all persnickety and Gibbs was all Gibbs--though I think he was more or less doing it to get her goat.  Gibbs might be a functional mute, but he does know the social niceties and how to be a polite guest in someone's house.  He is house trained.  I think those little domestic scenes were a bit of meta commentary for the fans who are all "OoOOoooOOoooh, real life couple Mark Harmon and Pam Dawber acting together!" but I still liked them.  I also like that they're working this serial killer case together.  Maybe we're getting a spinoff series where Gibbs retires and they go off solving crimes together while being adorable and softly bickering about crumbs on the carpet.  Kind of like a middle class, but higher octane investigative version of Hart to Hart.  Which would really bring the meta if Senior comes in and guest stars a time or two! 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I don't think it is the actress, I think it is the writing.

I agree.  It's like they don't know how to develop characters anymore since Gary Glasberg died (ie - Reeves).  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

I agree.  It's like they don't know how to develop characters anymore since Gary Glasberg died (ie - Reeves).  

More like they've realised they don't need to bother, so they don't. NCIS jumped the shark a while ago.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Maybe we're getting a spinoff series where Gibbs retires and they go off solving crimes together while being adorable and softly bickering about crumbs on the carpet.  Kind of like a middle class, but higher octane investigative version of Hart to Hart. 

I would totally watch that!  😀

• Love 8

I wondered if this might be a set-up for the NCIS:Hawaii spinoff, but the lead for that new series has already been set and it is not Katrina Law.  Also, according to IMDB, the back story for Agent Jessica Knight is that she has a husband and family and the husband takes care of the home while she is out saving the world, so unless they change the backstory, if she joins the mothership she will not be cast as a love interest to Jimmy or Torres or anybody.

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, Linderhill said:

this felt like a backdoor pilot for the proposed NCIS Hawaii to me.  I'm fully expecting agent whats-her-name to be transferred there and be part of the new team.

Please let this be true so I never ever have to see that woman again. The initial hostage negotiation was horrible, I can't imagine how they let her even be in that job. The show following, FBI, had Bell doing a hostage negotiation that was a thousand percent better and more realistic. In NCIS Agent Knight was so cheerful and flippant and her 'brilliant' move to reveal the pregnancy could have been a major backfire. How does she know he would be happy about a kid? It might set him off. Not all men are thrilled with the prospect and it can be a cause of domestic violence not a reprieve from it. But her attitude in general was just awful.  The way she just bulldozes everyone just bows to her indomitable will in order to get her to shut up already. I hate that in a character.

That body armor was amazing. It not only protected her from the blast but left her face untouched and her hair looking fantastic. She didn't lose a beat of movement or energy either. Seriously, show. I mean seriously.

So yes, it was absolutely a pilot episode or a major move in character within this series. Please let it be the former and let her stay out of this version of NCIS. But I think when you add the heavyhandedness with which McGee was throwing down hints and the fact that the blonde woman (I cannot believe I am blanking on her name!) was hinting loudly about the whole 'leaving the team behind' problem and I think we are gonna be stuck with Agent Knight next season.

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

yeah, @Andyourlittledog2 I agree.  I never want to see her again either but this is the show that foisted Ziva on us in two episodes touting her as the bestest, baddest spy chick evah!  She's just the kind of character that the PTB would think would be perfect to fill in for Gibbs if Mark decided to retire.  The NCIS front office seems to think that a grating personality female is a must.  I'm hoping that Hanna might make her way north to the DC office since she's the only cast member I like in the NOLA franchise besides King instead of this annoying woman.

• Love 4

This show loves annoying pushy people to a degree I will never understand. Especially super obnoxious women and older folks.  Every relative or ex has to be smugly entitled and given full access to whatever investigation they are doing at the time. They are intrusive, bullying, arrogant, etc and the show seems to think that it's charming and the characters indulge them while giving the equivalent of a shrug and a 'what're you gonna do with them?' smile and a shake of the head.

So Knight seems to be just another in a long line of smug entitled 'ain't I charming?' bulldozers that this show foists upon us. I have put up with it in the past but if this chick becomes a regular I think I am going to be out.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

Also, according to IMDB, the back story for Agent Jessica Knight is that she has a husband and family and the husband takes care of the home while she is out saving the world, so unless they change the backstory, if she joins the mothership she will not be cast as a love interest to Jimmy or Torres or anybody.

If - and that is a big 'if' - she were to join the show, they would kill off the husband in a tragic two-parter followed by a vengeance arc. Then, she would be free to hook up with any of the regulars.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

My little thrill for the episode, is that finally I recognized a scene as somewhere I've been!  When the guy was on the roof, Nationals Park (where the Washington Nationals baseball team plays) was in the background, and directly below was a parking lot, which is where this crazy running race called a Beer Mile was held.

On 5/20/2021 at 8:34 PM, secnarf said:

If - and that is a big 'if' - she were to join the show, they would kill off the husband in a tragic two-parter followed by a vengeance arc. Then, she would be free to hook up with any of the regulars.

Yep, let's see, they killed off Vance's wife and Jimmy's wife, had Bishop get divorced and killed her potential fiance (Qasim), and made Delilah irrelevant, so husband is definitely doomed if she joins.

x

Unless there is some reason that I am not aware of, it was insulting to see the funeral with the three caskets, and our NCIS folks front and center, with basically no family members present, or at least hardly visible.  Our NCIS folks barely knew them.

• Love 3

Just caught up on the last two, and I really liked Katrina Law’s character. It was just weird hearing an American accent. Unless that’s her native accent and she was using an English one in the other shows I’ve seen her in.

And all of them being unable to say “That’s Gibbs’ desk” and hemming and hawing with “it’s complicated” was just 🙄🙄🙄🙄 What’s complicated about saying “That’s Gibbs’ desk”?

• Love 3
On 5/18/2021 at 11:46 PM, Xeliou66 said:

The one part that annoyed me was everyone treating Gibbs desk as some holy place that no one is allowed to touch, jeez, Gibbs may never return and the reverence other characters have for him gets old.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, HurricaneVal said:

and we've played that game before with Kate's desk early on in the series. 

I seem to recall they did the same with Ziva's desk when Bishop first arrived... which was Kate's desk when Ziva first arrived...

• Love 3
(edited)

I remember Katrina Law from Hawaii 50 and thought she was a terrible actress. Nothing has changed. Knight didn't seem to have any emotion or anything about what happened. Maybe it was a bad script as well because her or Knights attempts at cute humour fell flat.

If the show is ending it would be good if the could show how Gibbs gets those boats.out of the basement.

This show has been dull ever since DiNozzo left.

Edited by LadyIrony
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 10:41 PM, UncleChuck said:

I wondered if this might be a set-up for the NCIS:Hawaii spinoff, but the lead for that new series has already been set and it is not Katrina Law.  Also, according to IMDB, the back story for Agent Jessica Knight is that she has a husband and family and the husband takes care of the home while she is out saving the world, so unless they change the backstory, if she joins the mothership she will not be cast as a love interest to Jimmy or Torres or anybody.

If she has a husband …. Where was he while his wife was in the hospital after the bombing? 

Edited by mythoughtis

PAM DAWBER FOR THE WIN: FEEL FREE TO USE YOUR WORDS!!!!

Nurse Janeway, someone is a Star Trek fan teehee

Yet another episode full of characters from NCIS no one knows or cares about, another waste of a time slot when they could be wrapping up the real characters stories because CLEARLY this show is gasping on its last legs.

Edited by UnikornRainbowz