Type keyword(s) to search

Shades of Blue "Anticipation"/Rumors

Anticipate?  Would anyone dare?

I did like J. Lo in that one movie, The Cell.  Somehow I don't think this show is going to have much in common with The Cell. 

This show leaves me torn:  I adore Ray Liotta more than my luggage...but J. Lo bugs the ever loving hell outta me.  I am Liotta's bitch, so I will watch, but I will not be happy about having to suffer J. Lo so I can spend time with my movie boyfriend.  Plus, I have a raging girl crush on Drea DeMateo...so that will also help get me watching as well.

• Love 1

This show has been a great source of internal conflict. On one hand you've got Ray Liotta (!!! like what?!?!) and Drea de Ma-fucking-tteo, as well as Dayo Okeniyi, who was very good in the little screentime he got as Thresh in the first Hunger Games movie, and it's about corrupt cops, which seems pretty relevant to current, real-life events...and then you've got JLo as the lead. I don't have any personal issues with JLo, really...maybe it's because I haven't watched American Idol since 2006, but she has always just seemed to me like one of those female celebs that gets in an inordinate amount of hate for having the nerve to, like, exist. I'm not saying there aren't valid reasons to dislike her, I just don't know what they are and don't really care enough to find out.

Anyway, the show seems to have this really awesome supporting cast and a great team behind the cameras, and it's just kind of like, what is JLo even doing here? Does the show really need her "star power" to be a success? Cuz Liotta and de Matteo have enough clout between the two of them to generate some significant buzz. It just seems like a very odd choice, and I don't want the show to lose out just because people are turned off by her being the lead. Idk, hopefully all the other good stuff about the show will balance it out.

• Love 3

I just watched the trailer and I liked it. An NBC cop show would normally not excite me, but I have to admit I find J. Lo to be a very engaging actress honestly. I'm not a super fan, don't know her music, etc. but I've enjoyed the movies I've seen with her (especially Out of Sight, and this role is the closest to that on the surface). I also saw Drea De Mattea at Rhode Island ComicCon this weekend, and she's pretty candid and said with some surprise in her tone that the show was really pretty envelope-pushing for NBC and she was surprised by how dark it was. I'll definitely check it out. (Didn't realize Santino Fontana is in this too--wonder how that works with his Crazy Ex-Girlfriend schedule?)

• Love 4

I just don't understand how Jennifer Lopez is positioned front & center and in living color, while freaking RAY LIOTTA is working background blue along with Drea de Matteo.

I mean, I'm okay with Jennyfromtheblock.  I totally backed her play when she learned martial arts and beat the crap out of her abusive ex in that one movie.  (Haven't seen de Matteo since she got dragged off into the Pine Barrens.)  But, please. . .RAY LIOTTA!

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

I just don't understand how Jennifer Lopez is positioned front & center and in living color, while freaking RAY LIOTTA is working background blue along with Drea de Matteo.

I've been wondering the same thing!  All I can guess is in the allegedly all important younger demographic she's considered a "name" where as even though both are Emmy winners Drea de Matteo and the awesome Ray Liotta aren't.

I've been wondering the same thing!  All I can guess is in the allegedly all important younger demographic she's considered a "name" where as even though both are Emmy winners Drea de Matteo and the awesome Ray Liotta aren't.

Shoeless Joe and Goodfellas aside, I just watched Cop Land again and I was struck by how powerful Liotta is, even in a smaller role with an ensemble that had Harvey Keitel, Robert De Niro and Ed Harris.

(I keep feeling the need to credit J.Lo, who seems to have made it through sheer hard work and talent, but I still think Wedding Planner, movie-wise.)

Ah well, how'd that Reese Witherspoon-Sofia Vergara movie do, anyway?

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

Shoeless Joe and Goodfellas aside, I just watched Cop Land again and I was struck by how powerful Liotta is, even in a smaller role with an ensemble that had Harvey Keitel, Robert De Niro and Ed Harris.

I highly recommend Narc.  Still smarts that he didn't get at least a Best Supporting nod outta that. 

Anyway, the show seems to have this really awesome supporting cast and a great team behind the cameras, and it's just kind of like, what is JLo even doing here? Does the show really need her "star power" to be a success? Cuz Liotta and de Matteo have enough clout between the two of them to generate some significant buzz. It just seems like a very odd choice, and I don't want the show to lose out just because people are turned off by her being the lead. Idk, hopefully all the other good stuff about the show will balance it out.

Jennifer is the executive producer, and her production company is producing it.  That's probably why she's in it and the main lead.

• Love 2

Jennifer is the executive producer, and her production company is producing it.  That's probably why she's in it and the main lead.

I read in an interview somewhere that she was originally just going to produce it but then NBC convinced her to take the lead role.

Now that I've seen the pilot I'm less skeptical of her abilities. And even though she's the lead, I hope that the supporting cast gets opportunities to shine because they're really strong.

• Love 2

JLo was really good in Out of Sight.  And Selena.  If she could have kept doing roles like those, instead of those god awful rom coms, I think more people would realize she's really a pretty good actress.

I watched the rerun of the pilot and it was pretty good.  A couple plot points seemed a little weird,

the IA guy showing up at the concert

but otherwise, it's probably something I'll watch.  It's better than that ridiculous Blind Spot. 

I will say Jennifer's character is one of the most gorgeous lady detectives I've ever seen.  She spent a hella lot time getting her contouring done in one scene. 

• Love 4

I like Jennifer and think she is an excellent actor.  Roger Ebert deemed her one of his favorites, which is high praise. 

I love this series so I am in for the long haul.  

• Love 1