Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

While comparing their busy schedules, Bob and Abishola realize the perfect date for their wedding is in just three weeks and enlist their family and friends to help plan their big day.

Airdate: 05/17/2021

Note: This is the season finale. 

11 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

While comparing their busy schedules, Bob and Abishola realize the perfect date for their wedding is in just three weeks and enlist their family and friends to help plan their big day

What about Dele?!? 😟

Damn you Tayo. We all saw it a mile away and I cannot believe Abishola was this trust worthy with a snake like her ex.

I hope they are able to get Dele back.  Too bad Dottie is confirmed to a wheelchair. She would have been hilarious on the trip to Nigeria. Sadly we will have to wait till next season.

• Love 5

We did see it coming, but I hoped it wouldn't happen this way.  It is clear to me that Dele doesn't really want to stay in Nigeria, but is afraid to say anything to Abishola while Tayo is listening in.  I hope they're able to bring him home.

Dottie would have been awesome in Nigeria!  I cracked up when she called Abishola's mother "laptop" -- in fact, that whole gathering where they were talking about the dress cracked me up.  As did the cake tasting.

And now I hope we get to see the confrontation in Lagos and that there is not a time jump.

• Love 14

I'm just thankful that this show has been renewed so we can get some resolution to the Dele/Tayo situation, and, of course, enjoy the wedding drama to come.

• Love 6

Of course we all saw it coming. What bugs me is no one points out that Tayo deserted Abishola and Dele for 12 (?or so?) years with no contact nor child support and married a second wife soon after he ditched her. It's one of those dumb TV things where a 2 minute conversation that could take care of almost everything does not take place.

• Love 9

You know what I don’t need after an absolute shit year with isolation from a pandemic??  My sitcoms leaving me with dramatic freaking cliffhangers!  Life has been a cliffhanger for a year. I mostly watch sitcoms these days to avoid the awful. While I can appreciate a good dramatic turn in a sitcom, for God’s sake...we’ve been living a cliffhanger.  Knock it off Chuck Lorre shows....between this & Young Sheldon....Sheesh!

• Love 14

Damn you, Tayo! 

I love that Abishola, Bob, Olu, and Tunde are all flying to Nigeria to save Dele and bring him home. I kind of wish Kemi was joining them, too. I think she would have a few choice words for Tayo as well, heh. 

This was a fun episode even with the Tayo/Dele crap. I really enjoyed Bob at the tux fitting with the men and his thank you gifts and speeches. I did feel bad for Douglas being left out, however. 

Also, the women's gathering along with Abishola's mother via zoom was also hilarious. Poor Christina, heh. 

And the cake tasting scene was fun as well.

I really wish we didn't have to wait until the fall for a resolution, though. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Of course we all saw it coming. What bugs me is no one points out that Tayo deserted Abishola and Dele for 12 (?or so?) years with no contact nor child support and married a second wife soon after he ditched her. It's one of those dumb TV things where a 2 minute conversation that could take care of almost everything does not take place.

Right?

And where is 2nd wife in all of this? Are we suppose to assume she wants her step son living with them full time?  And what does that say about her ? If Tayo can do that to wife #1 (taking her child) he can certainly do it to wife #2 if he decides to move on to wife #3.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

And where is 2nd wife in all of this?

Excellent question.
And now they have a hiatus to cast an appropriate 2nd wife. 
Who might have a son of her own. 
Maybe wife #2 and Abishola can gang up on Tayo.

🤔😉

I loved the Nigerians' acceptance of and encouragement of their American family members wearing the gorgeous African clothing, especially with Christina giving voice to and "hanging a lantern on" the PC objections, which seemingly do not apply in this case.

Edited by shapeshifter
missing possessive apostrophe
  • Love 11

Nope, nope, nope. Hate the Tayo storyline. This has better be fixed first episode next season or else. The only way I'm gonna ending up liking this is if Bob gets to punch Tayo in his smug face. And I'm not one for violence so I'm also annoyed at the show for making me think it,  but I want to see that!

• Love 8
(edited)
28 minutes ago, mammaM said:

Nope, nope, nope. Hate the Tayo storyline. This has better be fixed first episode next season or else. The only way I'm gonna ending up liking this is if Bob gets to punch Tayo in his smug face. And I'm not one for violence so I'm also annoyed at the show for making me think it,  but I want to see that!

As you already realize, not gonna happen.
But maybe Dottie will have a dream of it happening, wake up and realize it's not gonna happen, book herself on the next plane out, and--
hmmm--
I dunno--
hire someone to punch Tayo? 
Followed up with Dottie-style, Mafioso-type verbal threats that scare the poop out of Tayo.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 2

Despite being so predictable that I predicted here last week that Bob would go to Africa to bring Dele back, I don't mind that or the cliff hanger.  We all know it will probably end well.  This is a feel-good show at its core and I have faith that it will turn out OK for all.  I have come to appreciate this show after a horrible year and the fact that so many of my other shows have either been cancelled or ruined/turned depressing by crappy writing.  This one is one of the bright spots.  

• Love 7

I love the running gag of Abishola's mom's lack of framing in her Zoom calls.  The giant eye during the cake testing was a little creepy though.  I'm trying to place Olu and Tunde's place in Abishola's family.  Are Olu and Abishola's mom sisters? 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I love the running gag of Abishola's mom's lack of framing in her Zoom calls.  The giant eye during the cake testing was a little creepy though.  I'm trying to place Olu and Tunde's place in Abishola's family.  Are Olu and Abishola's mom sisters? 

Olu and Laptop are sisters. I like how they've maintained the zoom framing issues with Laptop while still finding a way to expand her character profile a bit. Initially she was 100% overbearing Mom but I think the cake scene went a little way toward showing (a) she can be insightful and (b) she seems to be pretty accepting of Bob, all things considered.

Speaking of overbearing, I may be alone here, but I don't think they're portraying Tayo as 100% bad guy. I think he's been fairly consistently portrayed as an arrogant man who firmly buys the "Man is the king of his castle" crap and believes his choices are the best for everyone, whatever they *think* they want. That said, I don't think he's deliberately trying to hurt Dele or punish Abishola;. I think Abishola's marriage to Bob made him feel that he needed to (re)gain control over his "family," and if he can't control Abishola, he'll make sure he doesn't let some American man raise/ruin his son.  I think he believes Dele will be better off with him for the same reason told Dele to stop dancing - a "father knows best and Dele will thank me one day" kind of thing rather than a "I'm going to be an asshole because I want to make my son unhappy" kind of thing.

I'm not defending any of that or saying it makes him a good guy. I just think the writers have done a decent job of not turning Tayo into a mustache-twirling villain, which isn't easy considering the storyline.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

We all saw this coming, but I still gasped when Tayo told Abishola that Dele would be staying in Nigeria. I am so glad that everyone is rushing out to Nigeria right away, the next season could not come fast enough. Poor Dele looked so miserable. Tayo doesn't care about what's best for Dele, if he cared so much about Dele he wouldn't have left him behind and never gotten in touch with him until now. 

The rest of the episode was really fun, with all of the ladies meeting with Abishola's mom (who still hasn't quite gotten Zoom down) and the cake tasting, but I spent the whole episode just waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

I wish Dottie could come to Nigeria, she would knock Tayo right the hell over and wheel over him. 

• Love 8

Until I came to read this thread, I fully thought part 2 of the episode was next week. I had no idea last night was the finale. In a weird way, I'm glad it's continued until next season because I was getting seriously worried they might be planning to keep Dele in Nigeria. Chuck Lorre has been known to ship children off when they're not working in a series (Mom), but Dele is one of my favorite characters in this show and the actor who plays him is just adorable. I'm glad for the cliffhanger if only because it ensures we get Dele back next season.

• Love 8

Why was Bob the only one tasting the cake options? I found it surprising that he was consulted at all, let alone that he was apparently the only one given access to the samples. It was funny, but for me also the biggest actual surprise of the episode. Who cares what Bob thinks about anything-- except cake!

• Love 1

Abishola tasted the raspberry, but Laptop didn't stop talking to hear what she thought. I knew the Tayo crap would come down just like it did as well. However, Dele didn't say he wanted to stay in Nigeria, he said "Dad says it would be best". Dele wants to go home and sooner rather than later. Perhaps #wife2 will side with Abishola because she thinks Tayo is a tyrant as well. Still, I enjoyed the episode (the glitter on your pants line was wonderful!)...looking forward to the fall.

• Love 6

Wife #2 might side with Abishola, but she won't express that in front of Tayo (or possibly at all) any more than Dele expressed his true feelings about staying in Nigeria in front of Tayo.  I suspect that if Dele had been alone in the room, talking with Abishola, his answer would have been different.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Wife #2 might side with Abishola, but she won't express that in front of Tayo (or possibly at all) any more than Dele expressed his true feelings about staying in Nigeria in front of Tayo.  I suspect that if Dele had been alone in the room, talking with Abishola, his answer would have been different.

Wife #2 might, since that would be her kids that Dele would be robbing of their inheritance and status.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Wife #2 might, since that would be her kids that Dele would be robbing of their inheritance and status.

I would like to see Wife #2 siding with Abishola because she (W#2) is a mother and can empathize with Abishola.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:
18 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I would like to see Wife #2 siding with Abishola because she (W#2) is a mother and can empathize with Abishola

That too. Self-interest (for herself and her children) and empathy are not mutually exclusive in this situation.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:
9 hours ago, LittleIggy said:
On 5/19/2021 at 9:44 AM, AnimeMania said:

I would like to see Wife #2 siding with Abishola because she (W#2) is a mother and can empathize with Abishola

That too. Self-interest (for herself and her children) and empathy are not mutually exclusive in this situation.

There is also a power dynamic where the first born child is the boss of all the other children, you can clearly see it when Olu and Abishola's mother interacts. If Dele becomes rude or dismissive of Tayo's other children, Wife #2 might not want Dele around. Abishola should also have that same power/status over Tayo's Wife #2, since I am not sure if they are actually divorced or got the marriage annulled. Abishola might go to Nigeria and really "lean in" to the power she wields as Wife #1 to change the household dynamics to make Tayo and Wife #2 squirm.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'll be interested to see how this Wife#1/Family#1 and Wife#2/Family#2 dynamic works out in Nigeria.  CBS and the writers will have a very delicate cultural minefield to navigate.  Are multiple wives common in Nigeria?  Among Christians?  Which is what I presume Tayo to be, since he went to Abishola's church on that episode.  Just looking at the set for his Nigerian home, Tayo appears to be a very wealthy man, presumably with a lot of influence and sway in the community.  Abishola and gang might have an uphill battle.  But Bob is wily, as is Olu, so between the two of them they'll get the job done.

• Love 3

From what I researched, multiple wives are’nt common among Christians. Those that live in the Muslim areas of Nigeria can legally have multiple wives and some do. I thought it was weird that Abishola’s pastor was so supportive of Tayo since Christian churches in Nigeria don’t sanction plural marriage. Again, I’m no expert...

Dele would never be rude or dismissive of his half-siblings. He’s too good of a kid. He was well-raised! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

Dele would never be rude or dismissive of his half-siblings. He’s too good of a kid.

ITA, but I wonder if we could get a comedic bit in which Dele pretends to boss around his sibling(s) to cause trouble and get sent back in time for the wedding. I can imagine the sibling being in on the ruse.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

ITA, but I wonder if we could get a comedic bit in which Dele pretends to boss around his sibling(s) to cause trouble and get sent back in time for the wedding. I can imagine the sibling being in on the ruse.

Or he could show them what his life was like in America with him in the Dance Videos, pictures of his Girlfriend, and his Video Game System.

• Love 2
On 5/18/2021 at 7:30 AM, shapeshifter said:

I loved the Nigerians' acceptance of and encouragement of their American family members wearing the gorgeous African clothing, especially with Christina giving voice to and "hanging a lantern on" the PC objections, which seemingly do not apply in this case.

My understanding is the big issue is whether or not a culture is being offered versus taken. Then it's whether the person not of the culture is being respectful or treating it as a dress up costume.

There are some things not offered to outsiders due to cultural or religious reasons though.

I love the clothes, and as long as the Nigerian folks are okay with it, it could be fun to see Bob's family adapting their style for the wedding.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 5/19/2021 at 6:44 AM, AnimeMania said:

Dele is #1 son...nothing gets in the way of that...my son-in-law is #1 son in a Chinese American family...his son happens to be #1 grandson...so as the #1 son of the #1 son the kid could be awful...fortunately he's smart, sweet & sensitive with the bonus of being handsome, not terribly unlike Dele...

• Love 4
(edited)

Or he could show them what his life was like in America with him in the Dance Videos, pictures of his Girlfriend, and his Video Game System.

Dele as bad influence could be hilarious.

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 2

Please realize that Nigeria is one of the wealthiest and in many ways most Westernized African nations.
It has a strong movie industry, a very influential music industry, and all that oil money. And Nigerians are well-educated and their diaspora is huge.

Interesting that Gina Yashere's parents immigrated to Britain, but her father returned to Nigeria without his wife and children and remarried.https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/jul/12/gina-yashere-on-riches-racism-and-us-success-i-dont-like-to-boast-but-im-doing-very-well

• Love 1