Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: Stand Your Ground Laws

• Start Topic

Well, I fail to see how a piece about gun laws could be made funny. The very next episode - Local News was both very funny and informative. Except for the bit about abortion laws which was quite scary, so I would not appreciate if he tried to make fun of that, anymore than of gun laws. With some topics you just have to be serious. And since the last year was especially hard, I don't think it is any surprise that there are more serious topics lately. But there are still some more lighthearted bits inbetween. I think there has a been a good balance, IMO.

• Love 9

There's also the fact that John has openly acknowledged he tends to be a worrywart sort in general, and tends to be more pessimistic in his outlook on things as a whole. Combine that with a year of being cooped up and even more aware than usual of all the stress going on in the world as a result, and that would explain a lot as well.

This past year has obviously done a number on everyone, even the most optimistic of people (like me), so it's not surprising it's bleeding over into our usual entertainment as well, be it with this show or other usually lighthearted series. 

• Love 12
On 5/18/2021 at 3:40 PM, lasu said:

This same guy, I was talking about how I leave my porch light on as a deterrent, and he was like, why would you do that? you have a gun!  Um, I dunno because I would like to avoid a potentially violent situation??  I'm not pressed to think that using my gun would have profoundly changed me, no matter how "justified" it was

I'm listening to a Podcast called Gangster Capitalism and its second season all about the NRA. Marian Hammer (the white-haired grandma in John's piece) is prominently featured along with additional details about the scrub-jay story. Suffice to say that she is "a piece of work" who's only job is to be the sole employee of an NRA funded not-for-profit, which she allegedly borrowed "extremely low interest loans" from to fund the purchases of homes for her daughter and granddaughter. She and the rest of the gun folks do not come off well at all. 

I also think about how different women and men think about protection. The concept of coming home to a dark house as a woman has a completely different perception than as a man. I believe women are always bigger proponents of locks, lights, and alarms, while men want dogs, knives and guns. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Rlb8031 said:

I'm listening to a Podcast called Gangster Capitalism and its second season all about the NRA. Marian Hammer (the white-haired grandma in John's piece) is prominently featured along with additional details about the scrub-jay story. Suffice to say that she is "a piece of work" who's only job is to be the sole employee of an NRA funded not-for-profit, which she allegedly borrowed "extremely low interest loans" from to fund the purchases of homes for her daughter and granddaughter. She and the rest of the gun folks do not come off well at all. 

Why am I not surprised? 

That podcast sounds really interesting. May have to seek that out. 

I also think about how different women and men think about protection. The concept of coming home to a dark house as a woman has a completely different perception than as a man. I believe women are always bigger proponents of locks, lights, and alarms, while men want dogs, knives and guns. 

This is another excellent point worth discussing. Yes. Also helps explain on some level some of the differences between how men typically commit crimes versus how women commit them as well (notice how rare it is to see a woman committing a mass shooting, for instance). 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

I do love the idiot's story that she had a gun when being approached by six guys who were probably going to do something to her but luckily she had a gun. How convenient that not one of the six guys had a gun. That seems unlikely. I guess their plan was just to jump her? But they could have still done that while she had a gun. There were six of them and you can only fire of one round at a time. Seems like they still could have taken her.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4

Well, this episode has not aged very well. I know John is sometimes biased especially when it comes to international news, but in light of recent events I now think he was too one sided here. There were some good points in the discussion by @lucindabelle and @BrownBear2012. I am sorry I did not listen back then. I hope you are both ok. Sorry to bring this up now if this is too personal, I am just dreading to hear John's take on this horrible mess next week. I hope he can be more objective now and refrain from any victim blaming.