Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef Junior (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I finally paid enough attention to notice Christina’s mini-me, Evie.

Gordon’s sliders were stacked so high I don’t know how it’s possible to eat that! Bigger is usually not better.

• Love 1

Joining the forum here cause I was looking for someplace interesting to discuss and this seems like the place so I look forward to discussing the rest of the episodes with you guys especially liveish too. 

• Love 1

This show is definitely staged. Che first said he goes crabbing all the time, eats crab etc.  When presenting his sliders he said he never cooked crab before.  Edit fail!

I don't believe that kids this little can cook that professional.  Its staged and fake.  And yes Ivy still didn't cook in a challenge.  Watch her be in the top 2.

The sliders looks delicious though.  I hardly ever eat burgers, but now I want a pork burger with grilled pineapple!!!

• Love 1

Obviously I'm not shocked that the food sits out while they film this and nothing is hot, but it really bugs me when they cut into stuff and are all ooohing and aaaahingand acting like it's amazing when it's obviously cold. Hence all the cheese that looked formerly melted but now room temp. The judges sound like idiots when they're all "look at that!" when it actually looks bad because it looks like it's been sitting there for an hour, because it has.

Also apparently Gordon's never heard of a Juicy Lucy before.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

When presenting his sliders he said he never cooked crab before.  Edit fail!

He said he has never made a crab cake before not that he had never cooked crab. I know a lot of people, myself included who find crab cakes a waste of good crab and a bitch to make because picking enough meat for them can be annoying and time consuming which is why I only do it if I am buying lump crab at the store or out at a restaurant. 

• Love 4

I can’t say enough about how much I despise those stupid gimmicky tricks like dumping things on the kids or judges. It adds nothing to the show. 

I agree about Evie not being sent home.  On any other show, if you don’t complete the challenge, and she didn’t by not having 3 sliders, that contestant is sent packing. But Evie is being rewarded with getting her creation put on Gordon’s menu.  

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, KLovestoShop said:

agree about Evie not being sent home.  On any other show, if you don’t complete the challenge, and she didn’t by not having 3 sliders, that contestant is sent packing. But Evie is being rewarded with getting her creation put on Gordon’s menu.  

I don’t agree. On Top Chef for example several times a chef hasn’t been eliminated if they didn’t complete the challenge or missed a plate if the food was delicious they weren’t eligible to win but not eliminated. Also, on Chopped while it increases your chances of being eliminated and probably may not win but not using one of the ingredients or missing a plate isn’t an auto mic elimination if the food is really good and I think that’s how it should be.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

So a few things I noticed

Next weeks episode is probably not an elimination. since they have 7 kids on one team in the camp episode (you can see it during one of the promo videos) 

They edit out the middle of the road kids judging which I'm not really sure how I feel about especially after they are down to this many. 

That being said I am cheering for my middle of the road pick Kate to win even though I havnt seen any footage of her after the camp episode so I don't know how well she will do. 

I don't mind the mess challenges since I can just mute my TV but I can see how it can be annoying but im sure its fun for the kids too.  

• Love 2
13 hours ago, cameron said:

Another week goes by without having Ivy cooking.  Not sure if this is on purpose or what.

This is really starting to annoy me for some reason.  Even more than the snowflake, Sadie.  

If Ivy is at the end, I’m calling shenanigans.  It’s real easy to win when you never have to friggin cook..,

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Seriously, I've never had one, but cheese inside the burger is far from a new concept.  

Same here, I have been doing stuffed burgers (with cheese, peppers, onions, garlic) for at least twenty years. And I am not a chef, or even a serious foodie.However I was a stoner for a few years, and munchies can inspire you.

Edited by DoctorK
  • LOL 4
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Superclam said:

Seriously, I've never had one, but cheese inside the burger is far from a new concept. 

You can even buy burgers at the grocery store in the freezer section pre-stuffed.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, DoctorK said:

Same here, I have been doing stuffed burgers (with cheese, peppers, onions, garlic) for at least twenty years. And I am not a chef, or even a serious foodie.However I was a stoner for a few years, and munchies can inspire you.

Burger stuffed with onions and garlic? 

I'm listening... 

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

This is really starting to annoy me for some reason.  Even more than the snowflake, Sadie.  

If Ivy is at the end, I’m calling shenanigans.  It’s real easy to win when you never have to friggin cook..,

I don't think itll be that bad but we will see. I do admit having Matthew essentially pick what looks like the top 5 doesn't help either

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Superclam said:

Burger stuffed with onions and garlic? 

I'm listening... 

In high end steakhouses they will poke little tiny pieces of carmalized garlic down into filet mignon.  Then cook in butter.......

That whole "shock" at a stuffed burger was beyond ridic!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

It's getting frustrating not seeing Ivy cook.  She was my favorite from the jump. From what little I saw, it looks like she can really cook, but now I'm starting to wonder.  

Also, is it just me, or are there more of these idiotic challenges that aren't really cooking than there have been in previous years?   Maybe I've suppressed the memories but it's galling not seeing more skill based competition. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, defeated said:

It's getting frustrating not seeing Ivy cook.  She was my favorite from the jump. From what little I saw, it looks like she can really cook, but now I'm starting to wonder.  

Also, is it just me, or are there more of these idiotic challenges that aren't really cooking than there have been in previous years?   Maybe I've suppressed the memories but it's galling not seeing more skill based competition. 

Exactly- I mean the trifle making competition was slightly better than the banana split making competition because at least they did have to do a few things other than stick stuff into a bowl, but I mean come on...at least have these kids do something.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Brookside said:

I am in awe of you people being able to watch this.

In what way. I mute the loud annoying parts and mostly skip through the challenges anyway and only pay attention during elimination/or when theyre showing off whose probably going to be eliminated. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, King said:

In what way. I mute the loud annoying parts and mostly skip through the challenges anyway and only pay attention during elimination/or when theyre showing off whose probably going to be eliminated. 

I can't abide over-rehearsed,, overly precocious, cutesy kids, whose parents' ambition is to have them be on TV.  Sorry!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Brookside said:

I can't abide over-rehearsed,, overly precocious, cutesy kids, whose parents' ambition is to have them be on TV.  Sorry!

Oh I get that. hence the muting and such and why I'm cheering for Kate since she seems somewhat normalish. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, King said:

Oh I get that. hence the muting and such and why I'm cheering for Kate since she seems somewhat normalish. 

There's a Kate? I have no idea which kid is Kate.

The part where these kids are barely able to hold back their tears while being judged is kind of hard to take. Some kids seem to be OK with it but that little girl last night (Naelli?) was hurting my heart.

Malia is still my favorite.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, zibnchy said:

There's a Kate? I have no idea which kid is Kate.

The part where these kids are barely able to hold back their tears while being judged is kind of hard to take. Some kids seem to be OK with it but that little girl last night (Naelli?) was hurting my heart.

Malia is still my favorite.

The one that apparently looks like Honey boo boo. I mean theyre both from the country but Kates much thinner than I ever remember HBB being but I havnt seen her recently. I do sorta react too when the kids cry during judging or in the background when another kid has been eliminated.  Even moreso because I think Kate has a crush on Kyle so those 2 times he was up for elimination she really got teary. 

As long as it doesn't mean a double elimination down the track. That being said I both hate and like the team setup next week. On the one hand the teams seem very one sided. But if said team looses then there's a high chance my favourites going home. 

I laughed way harder and longer than I should have about the poo swirl icing. I've been cake decorating for over 10 years and that is exactly what I call that technique: the poo swirl. 

I'm happy there was no elimination because no one really did anything wrong but I bet 4 kids have to go home at some point now. 

• Love 1

I did find it kinda cute that they manipulated/edited what Kate said the way they did. Although I do hate how they edited the preview at the end of the episode and how its a totally different one to what shows up on youtube. I mean different footage and stuff is good and all but yeah 

5 minutes ago, cameron said:

Ivy is really starting to wear on me.  Her hat shtick reminds me of Spike Mendelson when he was on Top Chef.  Didn't like that either.

its probably a personal thing because of her dwarfism

Loved the voiceover as Kate and Aaron were coming up to present their cupcakes regarding how they had at least the "number two" cupcakes.

The eight year old boy in me had quite a chuckle when the box was opened.

• LOL 5
2 hours ago, cameron said:

Ivy is really starting to wear on me.  Her hat shtick reminds me of Spike Mendelson when he was on Top Chef.  Didn't like that either.

And the long hair which is probably fake. Rashad and Reed are also always wearing ridiculous hats. Blame the stylists who dress these kids!

next week 4 kids going home? 

The duck challenge was great. I can’t butcher a duck either.

• Love 1

I did like how Evie said she wouldn't deliberately sabotage anyone with the pairings... which, I think, helped everyone end up with a good product... poo emoji notwithstanding.  

And wasn't it Aaron who tried to hint to them during the challenge about how the icing looked?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, cameron said:

This is just an educated guess, but she might've worn one hat to her audition wanting to look extra nice or something, and then once cast, the show was all "you're Fedora girl now; you have to wear one every show". Like the two giant bow sisters last season. The kids don't all have a super conspicuous gimmick with their clothes, but there are always a handful of contestants who do.

Especially since she's worn a slightly different color hat every episode, they're clearly provided by production. If it were the same hat (and looked less pristine) I might think it was just her favorite hat she brought from home. But I doubt it.

• Love 5

I think this show gets more phony every season.  There was no way that those kids could have learned anything from watching Aaron break down that duck.  They were too far away and the sight angle was such that they would have been looking at the side of the table.  The stunt reminded me of a demonstration last season during some kind of circus event where the kids were seated too far to see  well.  It's clear that they get instructions/lessons prior to filming.  I also have a hard time believing that they all do their own plating.  

I like Reid and Rhashad.  I doubt either will win but they seem like normal kids.  I pretty much want to slap Sade and Evie.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

This is just an educated guess, but she might've worn one hat to her audition wanting to look extra nice or something, and then once cast, the show was all "you're Fedora girl now; you have to wear one every show". Like the two giant bow sisters last season. The kids don't all have a super conspicuous gimmick with their clothes, but there are always a handful of contestants who do.

Especially since she's worn a slightly different color hat every episode, they're clearly provided by production. If it were the same hat (and looked less pristine) I might think it was just her favorite hat she brought from home. But I doubt it.

I agree.  No body has that many hats.

3 hours ago, kirklandia said:

"Little Chef Ivy" is a bit of a ringer - an online personality.  The fedoras are part of her persona - you can see her wearing them in YouTube cooking videos from 2016.

If I am getting tired of her now, just watch the  youtube from 2016.  Really hard to watch.  I'm thinking that you're right about her being a ringer.

• Love 2

So the kids get lessons on the day before the challenge. ie. if cooking duck is going to be the challenge, they're all taught to cook duck the day before. That's been known for a while. However, I now believe that they're told what to cook PERIOD and they're getting individualized instructions for it. It didn't used to be like that, but I now believe it is. The way they rattle off these dishes and appear to be reading cue cards has me side-eyeing things. Also, I can buy that they're able to cook some of these things but creating dishes and coming up with obscure combinations is an entirely different skill set and one that comes with time and experience. I just don't buy that these kids have it.

• Love 3

There’s no way that I believe that these kids have the cooking skills they make you believe they do. The sophisticated combinations of flavors and the correct way they do things like seering meats is really beyond what I think their skills really are. 

• Love 4