Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef Junior (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My understanding is that when you apply to be on the show, you fill out a form that both asks if you have any food allergies and also asks you confirm that you understand, if cast, you may be required to work with those foods, and are you still willing to participate? Producers plan these challenges months in advance, possibly before casting is complete. So it's very possible they couldn't change the challenges to avoid something a participant is allergic to. The choice is don't cast people with allergies, or put it in the allergic person's hands whether they still want to participate with that risk.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, cameron said:

Okay, maybe I was a little harsh concerning Reed and his crying.  Just thought it was a little contrived as opposed to the good old boy image that he likes to project.

I am inclined to think that what is contrived is the image - and, by adults.  How much do you think these kids originate/control their personae?  That kid crying in pain felt more real to me than "good old boy" junior.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 8

I think it's easy to forget that Reid is only 8 y/o because he's tall for his age.  He and tiny Matthew are the same age.  He also sounds more mature because Matthew still has a "baby" voice.  Burns hurt and burns from oil are terribly painful.  I thought Reid pulled himself together admirably for a little kid.

Rhashad was one of my favorites.  I didn't think he'd win but I still hated to see him go.  He has a great smile and a good attitude.  

Claudia still looks like a freak.  I couldn't stand her on her season and her hair is even worse now.

• Love 7

Of course Ivy is safe... Ivy smacking her fists as she said I’m the older sister. Does it mean she hits her younger sister?

Sadie is a feminist I died laughing.  I think Malia will win. The finale will be Malia versus Ivy...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Of course Ivy is safe... Ivy smacking her fists as she said I’m the older sister. Does it mean she hits her younger sister?

Sadie is a feminist I died laughing.  I think Malia will win. The finale will be Malia versus Ivy...

Think that Ivy is also somewhat mentally challenged.  Watching her slapping her hands like that and seeing her youtube videos makes me think this.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/11/2019 at 2:09 PM, Sara2009 said:

I guess I’m the only one who likes Ivy. I agree that she’s gotten out of cooking a lot, but I’m not sure that’s her fault.

I like Ivy for the most part - I get annoyed as anything that she never cooks and I kind of resent the show for making me dislike the fact of her because of them always letting her get out of cooking.

• Love 3

Well that was bullshit. Sadie and her teammate should have gone home. Based on the commentary from Gordon, nothing on their plate was good. Matthew and his teammate got a better review. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Have a feeling the wrong young lady went home tonight.  Not watching close enough but this is what I’m thinking  

Good luck, dear girl. 

Oh, Matthew!  😢

For some reason I’m able to look at Top Chef Jr more like a competition than getting wrapped up in the emotional aspect. Does anyone know if there will be a Season 3 for TC Jr?

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 3

I'm calling foul on last night's show.  First off Ivy in the top three making a tamale dish using fermented corn when she has never had one even though it was suppose to be a family tradition on her mother's side, followed by if you look closely in the challenge she is walking back to her station from where?  The elimination of the two who got sent home was a surprise since Gordon criticized Sadie and Jalia dish more.  Think that the producers thought Mathew's time on the show had come to the end and the girl he got paired up was collateral damage.  

• Love 11

All my life I was raised not to waste food, and isn't that just common sense when we have people starving?   Whats with all the food being wasted on the show.   I get it, they are having fun but either make look alikes, or find another game.

• Love 4

I thought it was clear based on looking at the plates that they were easier in their critique of the team that went home than they were on Sadie’s team to build up drama. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Sadie is insufferable. She better get cut next week. And take Ivy with her. Ivy is just too ON all the time for me.

14 hours ago, cameron said:
15 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Sadie is insufferable. She better get cut next week. And take Ivy with her. Ivy is just too ON all the time for me.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the producers of the show are setting  Ivy up for the win.

Edited by cameron
  • Love 1

There is nothing entertaining about watching a little boy cry because he made mistakes.

Nothing entertaining about watching food--actual food!--get dumped on kids and grown-ups week after week after week.

And there's nothing entertaining about watching kids yelling at each other during The Greatest Junior Home Cook Cooking Competition in the Entire World.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, kittle1974 said:

Jaala got robbed.  That is all.

Agreed. Was it last season or the one before where one of the "favorites" was on a team with obviously the worst tag time platter, but they decided it was "too close to call" and saved both teams (i.e. no elimination that week)? I think if they hadn't done "too close to call"/non-elimination just a couple of week ago, they would have done it this time. But "two of the strongest competitors" (judge's words) were on the same worst team, and since they couldn't do another "non-elimination", they decided to ignore the obvious and send home Matthew & Jaala.

• Love 2

So when they dump the corn on the kids (which I agree is a waste), and the kids leave to clean up, is that when the kids get a "cooking lesson" on what they will be challenged with? It just seems like a waste of time to have to shower or at least they washed their hair after the corn.

Did any of these kids go to the masterchef camp last summer? My daughter pulled up some of the kids social media and it seems like the have hung out outside of the show, especially most of the finals, I did not see Reid or Ivy but it seemed like all of the rest had pictures outside of the show. 

I am trying to figure out who will be in the finals. I think Ivy might be there playing a part, and was given a certain number of episodes in exchange for knowing she was not going to win. i wonder if they will do 3 kids like last year? If they do I say Reid, Malia and Ivy? with Malia win.

• Useful 1

Reid is still my favorite so I had mixed feelings about seeing him paired with Ivy.  That could have meant he was protected because they've been pushing Ivy through no matter what or it could have meant they were finally done with Ivy and he'd go with her.  As it turned out, they earned their win fair and square as far as I could see.  

Matthew needed to go.  He was just too immature for all the stress and demands.  Jaala has been my favorite girl all along so I was sorry to see her go too.  She's beautiful and seemed quite gracious and mature.  Sadie and Malia (who are neither) should have been sent home instead based on the judges' commentary.

Isn't it curious how all the kids are still running around and screaming during the last two minutes but they all end up with nicely plated dishes arranged in the exact same spots on the display platters?

• Love 5
17 hours ago, WendyM said:

There is nothing entertaining about watching a little boy cry because he made mistakes.

And there is especially nothing entertaining about watching a small boy cry after being yelled at. 

There is no way, if I were a parent, that I would let my kid do this show. The yelling, the pressure and the favoritism would be a bit fat no for me.

• Love 7

Thanks y'all.  My DVR was busy on first showing.  Repeat tonight.  I'll pass.

This used to be so cute and real, but like everything else TeeVee, take a good idea, run it into the ground.  

I'll scooch over and watch Oprah's wife do Harry & Meaghan.  Dawg forbid I get off my dead ass and participate in life...

• Love 1
10 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Poor itty bitty matty 

IMO too young to be put through this on the negative side. On the positive side ... life experiences are important. 

Hope all these kids have positive re-enforcement afterwards and given in the ‘right’ way whatever that is. 

• Love 3

Despite having a bit of self-doubts this episode I think Reid will be fine afterwards.  He is impressive at the tender age of 8 and I’m not talking cooking abilities here.  

As you might be seeing by my posts I am so totally against 8 year olds being in a GR competition.  I just am.  

Actually I might just be over anything to do with One Potato Two Potato stuff.  They seem too structured as to what ‘I’m supposed to think’ regarding their cheftestants or kidtestants.   I don’t know.   

Question.  Do you think I might have blinders on regarding other kid cooking shows?

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Ellee said:

As you might be seeing by my posts I am so totally against 8 year olds being in a GR competition.  I just am.  

I agree, I think 10-14 is a more appropriate age range for this show. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I think he is an 8 year old under stress.

Actually some of the eight year olds from previous seasons held up really well.  My favorite was Riley Hahn in Season 3.  Never cried and even patted Gordon Ramsey on the head when he was eliminated and was picked up and hugged by Joe B.

6 minutes ago, cameron said:

Actually some of the eight year olds from previous seasons held up really well.  My favorite was Riley Hahn in Season 3.  Never cried and even patted Gordon Ramsey on the head when he was eliminated and was picked up and hugged by Joe B.

Those seasons were much shorter Riley was eliminated in episode 5 this episode was episode 12.

• Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I think he is an 8 year old under stress.

Exactly. And add to that he had burned his hand pretty good too.  Couldn’t have felt too good trying to do what he was doing.

Thought for his age he handled it all pretty well and switched out with Che and then executed the plating instead.  Props to Che also for calming Reid down. 

Edited by Ellee
  • Love 8

Am I alone in thinking they would have declare a winner if Ivy, Sadie and Malia had all been on the same team? I'm sure Aaron and at least one of Reid/Che are bootable.

Again, why do they seem surprised these kids are getting overwhelmed and melting down?

Am I alone in thinking they would have declare a winner if Ivy, Sadie and Malia had all been on the same team? I'm sure Aaron and at least one of Reid/Che are bootable.

Again, why do they seem surprised these kids are getting overwhelmed and melting down?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, cameron said:

Think that the blue team should have been up for elimination last night.  The only one that I liked on that team was Che.

Thankfully it's not a popularity contest. 

Apparently, when Gordon says "at least 2 of you are going home" he means "at least zero of you are going home".

That whole bit was as phony as the "real" diners in the restaurant with their prepared comments and questions.  Gordon makes a speech about how the judges read all the comment cards and tallied all the votes, talked to the restaurant owner and discussed everything at length among themselves and the winner is...........................Wait, we have to have a little side discussion after all that.  And another one while the kids squirm.  Then the big surprise announcement as if they all just made an impromptu decision.  Bah.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, mlp said:

That whole bit was as phony as the "real" diners in the restaurant with their prepared comments and questions.  Gordon makes a speech about how the judges read all the comment cards and tallied all the votes, talked to the restaurant owner and discussed everything at length among themselves and the winner is...........................Wait, we have to have a little side discussion after all that.  And another one while the kids squirm.  Then the big surprise announcement as if they all just made an impromptu decision.  Bah.

Also the fact that one of the diners he would have payed this much for the entree in a restaurant, which leads me to the assumption that they were fill ins for this episode.

• Love 2