Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef Junior (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It was Aaron who said it and he says a lot of stupid shit. 

You can say that again.

Aaron has frequently illustrated that he doesn’t know a lot about some foods and has said equally stupid shit. 

LOL  That really needed to be said twice.  When Aaron is not a judge such as when he competed on Chopped and Chopped After Hours, he seems like a nice guy who is well-liked by the other chefs.  When he's a judge, he turns into a pretentious twit.  I suspect that his expertise doesn't extend much past Mexican cuisine.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, mlp said:

I suspect that his expertise doesn't extend much past Mexican cuisine.

I don’t know if you ever saw it but he used to do a show called Chefs vs. City with Chris Cosentino who would do a race against local chefs and almost no matter what the challenge Chris would know all this information about it and Aaron would stand there clueless. Chris also had to do all the spicy food challenges because Aaron’s couldn’t take it! 

Edited by biakbiak
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

It's one thing to not like or have eaten something, it's quite another to be so contemptuous of an item.  I felt that these kids were way too superior in their dismissal of canned tuna.  I get it-not everyone likes tuna.  However, these kids were way over the top especially as this is a staple in many homes, especially those for whom fresh tuna/fish is too expensive.  It really kind of smacked of elitism-and these kids are far too young for that.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

It's one thing to not like or have eaten something, it's quite another to be so contemptuous of an item.  I felt that these kids were way too superior in their dismissal of canned tuna.  I get it-not everyone likes tuna.  However, these kids were way over the top especially as this is a staple in many homes, especially those for whom fresh tuna/fish is too expensive.  It really kind of smacked of elitism-and these kids are far too young for that.

I agree, but it's that kind of kid they're actively selecting for. Rich, entitled kids. And if someone isn't maybe so well off, they're sure not going to admit it. 

• Love 2

I hate this juvenile crap of dumping food or whatever on the judges.  To me, it’s not only a waste of time, but a terrible waste of food.  

I don’t think it’s fair to give a contestant an advantage over the others, and I say this as a physically disabled person.  Yes, maybe the pasta challenge wouldn’t have worked for her, but there’s no reason why she couldn’t have don’t the eclairs. 

I really like Aaron.  He’s such a cutie.  Ben bugs the heck out of me  as does Sadie  

I hope the judges do something like a palate cleanse so they can distinguish the taste difference. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

I *Knew* Ivy would get the black pasta. They have to be making accommodations for her

Better accommodations would be making it so she could actually compete in the challenges, if they are in fact an issue. It's not like she's surprising them going into each episode.

They did do something similar in an earlier episode this season, though, where just picking the special coin advanced you. In that case Matthew got it. I think it's a silly thing to do, and yes, it's worse later in the game, but I don't know how much is intentional for an individual contestant. Ivy has gotten immunity a lot, but to me that only really shows that she's lucky and that this show gives out immunities too much.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have no idea why they make the kids react like the judges instantly come back from food being poured clean and changed! Everyone knows that’s not true and it just makes them look stupid/fake!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

I found the whole episode an exercise in irritation and eye-rolling.  First of all, I have never used a pasta machine but it doesn't seem to me that it's possible to extrude a sheet of pasta a block long without a single seam or imperfection along the length.  The kids seemed to be joining batches of dough too although we didn't see them actually doing it.  One end would be fresh pasta and one end would already be floured.  And no seam.  I don't buy it.  

I loathe watching them pour stuff on the judges while the kids shriek.  I always wonder what that stuff really is.  The judges aren't worried about getting it in their eyes.  

I think Ivy is definitely getting special treatment and I don't understand why.  She and Matthew are about the same size and he has to cook.  I wasn't the least bit surprised to see her holding the black pasta.  

The judges conversation among themselves while the kids were making eclairs was so scripted it was almost embarrassing to listen to.  I noticed that all the plates and eclairs from the first two rounds had been cleared away when Gordon walked down to judge the third round and the ones he tasted were all on clean plates.  So much for continuity.

Sadie is obnoxious!

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, Ikki said:

Better accommodations would be making it so she could actually compete in the challenges, if they are in fact an issue. It's not like she's surprising them going into each episode.

They did do something similar in an earlier episode this season, though, where just picking the special coin advanced you. In that case Matthew got it. I think it's a silly thing to do, and yes, it's worse later in the game, but I don't know how much is intentional for an individual contestant. Ivy has gotten immunity a lot, but to me that only really shows that she's lucky and that this show gives out immunities too much.

they've done it through out the season its just more noticeable now that we are getting to the end. 

17 minutes ago, King said:

they've done it through out the season its just more noticeable now that we are getting to the end. 

They've done what throughout the season? Given Ivy immunity, like I said in my previous comment, or something else?

1 minute ago, Ikki said:

They've done what throughout the season? Given Ivy immunity, like I said in my previous comment, or something else?

Immunity in general via mostly random luck there was really only once you could argue they gave Ivy immunity when she didn't really need it and that was after the circus challenge. 

2 minutes ago, King said:

Immunity in general via mostly random luck there was really only once you could argue they gave Ivy immunity when she didn't really need it and that was after the circus challenge. 

Yeah, I agree, that's what I was saying. I think the immunity through luck has been really noticeable throughout the season, though, and it's been bugging me since the lobster challenge. 

The worst part about this episode was the fact that there was no execution at the end. Way to get my hopes up, show!

My top 3 are Jaala, Malia, and Reed.

Are we ever going to see Ivy cook AND be critiqued? If they are making accommodations for her, why? Have we seen any spark of something extra special about her? Are they going to give her immunity all the way to final 4?

I don't think I believe those kids made those eclairs without help. Choux pastry is hard.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, zibnchy said:

The worst part about this episode was the fact that there was no execution at the end. Way to get my hopes up, show!

My top 3 are Jaala, Malia, and Reed.

Are we ever going to see Ivy cook AND be critiqued? If they are making accommodations for her, why? Have we seen any spark of something extra special about her? Are they going to give her immunity all the way to final 4?

I don't think I believe those kids made those eclairs without help. Choux pastry is hard.

Totally agree about the Choux pastry.  Not an everyday thing to cook, and I still think that Ivy is in for a run at the final three by choice of the producers of the show.  Really have taking to not liking her.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

I *Knew* Ivy would get the black pasta. They have to be making accommodations for her

Yup. The second they told the kids about the black pasta, I knew she would be the one to get it.  

I’m sure she’s a nice kid but I am so tired of her never having to cook. She is quite literally skating by. I’d be shocked if some of the kids didn’t resent it by now

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

It would be nice to eventually get some real interviews from all the contestants im sure they have a lot of dirt on eachother and on the show in general

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I have no idea why they make the kids react like the judges instantly come back from food being poured clean and changed! Everyone knows that’s not true and it just makes them look stupid/fake!

I was fantasizing that the kids have to mop up the shit they just dumped all over the judges while the judges get cleaned up. (I have a rich fantasy life.) If I make one small batch of pesto, my kitchen smells like garlic and basil for hours. And I don't dump it all over anyone! Imagine those rich, Masterchef-worthy smells all throughout the filming. Mmmmmm.

As others have said, the moment I heard there was a black get-out-of-competing pasta, I knew Ivy would get it. Did Christine (I think that was her name--the visually impaired grown-up contestant) get these "lucky" immunity opportunities? And if it's about size, Matthew is just as small. I don't get it but it doesn't smell like luck. It smells like shenanigans and that smells like marinara, cheese and pesto all mixed together.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

With Ben (or is it Che?) saying that he had Celiac, I had to wonder how they handled him possibly ingesting the flour and other types of cross contamination issues.  

gluten free flour probably. give it to all the contestants so theres no risk and that theyre all on equal playing field somewhat

54 minutes ago, WendyM said:

I was fantasizing that the kids have to mop up the shit they just dumped all over the judges while the judges get cleaned up. (I have a rich fantasy life.) If I make one small batch of pesto, my kitchen smells like garlic and basil for hours. And I don't dump it all over anyone! Imagine those rich, Masterchef-worthy smells all throughout the filming. Mmmmmm.

As others have said, the moment I heard there was a black get-out-of-competing pasta, I knew Ivy would get it. Did Christine (I think that was her name--the visually impaired grown-up contestant) get these "lucky" immunity opportunities? And if it's about size, Matthew is just as small. I don't get it but it doesn't smell like luck. It smells like shenanigans and that smells like marinara, cheese and pesto all mixed together.

I remember the season that Christine won.  The only breaks that she got was when someone gave her their arm to guide on up the steps.  She did all the challengers like everyone else.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, cameron said:

I remember the season that Christine won.  The only breaks that she got was when someone gave her their arm to guide on up the steps.  She did all the challengers like everyone else.

That's what remember, too...thanks

Back home in Maryland, I've been wondering if Ivy will ever have to cook, or if she will just continue to be the designated cheerleader for the remaining home cooks for the rest of the season. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, kittle1974 said:

Back home in Maryland, I've been wondering if Ivy will ever have to cook, or if she will just continue to be the designated cheerleader for the remaining home cooks for the rest of the season. 

Well theres at least one more moment from the previews where she has to cook. its probably coming up in the next team challenge too. 

3 hours ago, King said:

gluten free flour probably. give it to all the contestants so theres no risk and that theyre all on equal playing field somewhat

I would think so, but he said he couldn’t try the Eclairs because he had Celiac.  Plus, it’s even harder to bake gluten free than non gluten free because there are so many types of flour - and you can mix some and not others for different types of baking.

1 hour ago, kittle1974 said:

Even her cheerleading has an edge at times - she kept calling things out that if I were the bakers, I would be annoyed.  

She’s like a backseat baker up there 🤣🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

I’m sure she’s a nice kid but I am so tired of her never having to cook. She is quite literally skating by. I’d be shocked if some of the kids didn’t resent it by now

I bet there are some seething parents. And I don't blame them.

• Love 4

I just deleted the show from my DVR.  Too much silliness-is something dropped over the judges every week now?  And, I'm tired of seeing Ivy get moved ahead without cooking.  Although I like a few of the kids, they're not the ones the producers seem to like (i.e. always being featured in talking heads, etc.).

• Love 4

My favs are Che and Reed. I also like the 8 year old boy and not only think he's adorable, but he's so encouraging as well to his teammates. He won't win but I'm be so sad for him when he has to go home, and I'm sure he'll break my heart, heh. 

I love Reid. Lil' trooper.

I liked this episode. Getting to pick the team was definitely the bigger advantage, and the blue team's dish concept seemed better on top of that.

Ben had been in the bottom a few times and seemed over his head, so I was expecting his elimination this episode.

By the way, did anyone happen to catch how many Michelin stars Gordon's restaurant has? I'm not sure they mentioned it.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

This episode showed why I can't completely hate Gordon Ramsey. He was awesome with Reed. He's good with kids, usually. I liked how he calmed Reed down and then took him in the back so they could bond by comparing cooking oil scars.

So glad Jaala is doing well. Reed continues to impress me. Matthew is so cute and sweet. Matthew is the one who cracked me up when, in an earlier episode, he said he'd been cooking since he was 1 year old. I will cry when Matthew gets eliminated.

Ivy made that win all about herself didn't she.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Ikki said:

By the way, did anyone happen to catch how many Michelin stars Gordon's restaurant has? I'm not sure they mentioned it.

I read this before watching the show so I made a mental note to try and get an answer for you. However, after the 7th time it was mentioned I realized you were being sarcastic. 😂😂😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Emkat said:

Ivy not cooking AGAIN. This show is ridiculous. 

She cooked during the challenge and it seemed fairly clear that her team did a better job.

• Love 6

Actually thought that Reed acted like a big baby with the burn on his hand and earlier on in the episode when he keeps yelling where's the asparagus while it's clearly in front of him.

Please eliminate Ivy next week.  Have had it with her faces and motion gestures.

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Ikki said:

They didn't mention that his restaurant has THREE MICHELIN STARS???? I though they mentioned his THREE MICHELIN STAR restaurant when they talked about how it got THREE MICHELIN STARS. They might have also mentioned that the scallop dish was a THREE MICHELIN STAR dish served at Gordon's THREE MICHELIN STAR restaurant, but I wasn't paying attention. 

Edited by Superclam
THREE MICHELIN STARS!!!
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, cameron said:

Actually thought that Reed acted like a big baby with the burn on his hand and earlier on in the episode when he keeps yelling where's the asparagus while it's clearly in front of him.

Please eliminate Ivy next week.  Have had it with her faces and motion gestures.

Because they're on Gordon TV it's easy to forget that these are real children and not entirely Producer Generated Caricatures. Most sites have Reed listed at 8 year sold (although he looks older). The burn looked pretty bad for an 8 year old. It's pretty normal for a kid to act like that when they're injured.

• Love 13

Oil splash burns hurt like hell. When he decided to start plating and took his hand out of the ice, I thought to myself, within 30 seconds, this is going to be unbearable. I know when I had severe burns on my hands, even with tons of burn gel, the first several hours I felt OK if I had something super cold on it. I'd try to take the ice off for a minute here or there but did not last very long before I desperately wanted it back on. I was older than that kid at the time.

What did Reid say right at the beginning of the episode, in what I think was his first TH of the night? Something like "I never thought a <mumble> from Georgia could..." What was he calling himself?

• Love 6
(edited)

I realize they have been groomed and scripted and curated and edited by adults to entertain us, but these are kids.  You douse them with boiling oil and they cry. So would I.

And sometimes, watching it all makes me very uncomfortable.

Edited by kirklandia
  • Love 12
(edited)
1 hour ago, kirklandia said:

I realize they have been groomed and curated and edited by adults to entertain us, but these are kids.  You douse them with boiling oil and they cry. So would I.

I'm a terrible person. This sentence made me laugh. Sort of a Master Chef Junior/Hunger Games cross-over, then?

Edited by jcbrown
  • LOL 4
  • Love 2

Okay, maybe I was a little harsh concerning Reed and his crying.  Just thought it was a little contrived as opposed to the good old boy image that he likes to project.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

She cooked during the challenge and it seemed fairly clear that her team did a better job.

But since we never see the actual votes they can declare anyone they want as the winner.

As soon as they said seafood I knew it was either going to be halibut or salmon.

That burn looked damned painful.

(edited)

I’m surprised they would do a food that a child is allergic to.  I’m so happy that Jaala was able to make the dish. 

Matthew is just too cute.  I know he won’t win, but he’s been adorable. 

Ivy should have gone weeks ago, but it’s obvious they want her until the end.  

Rhashad was so mature in his loss.  A great kid.  

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 4