Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef Junior (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Rammchick said:

Harmonesly, Aaron??

I can't watch the show anymore because if I did it would make me so stabby I'd be dead.  So thank you for keeping me (us) up to date on Aaron's ignoramus-ness. 

• LOL 1

And I'm not buying that Evie came up with those pairings herself.  As someone mentioned upthread, we are constantly being reminded of the geographical origins of each kid.  And as the kids were being interviewed while getting to work on their cupcakes, it just so happened that one pair after another saw fit to mention again where they were from - the same region.

Bogus.

• Love 1

Pretty sure she picked how she wanted to pick but I imagine the director got the kids to say what they did. just like they got Kate to make the no 2 joke  

Duck and cherries in some sort of wine/port reduction is a fairly popular combination not as popular as orange perhaps but not obscure I have no difficulty believing she chose it when she saw the cherries there. Like with all these shows the ingredients available in the pantry guide a lot what is possible.

• Love 1
On 3/13/2019 at 8:44 PM, jcbrown said:

Sadie, right? She's the one who bugged me the most.

Sadie is rather pretentious (sorrynotsorry), but as I'm pretty sure she's also the one who "wants to cook for celebrities like Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand", it's clear that any offputting personality traits can be laid 100% at the door of Sadie's mother.  12-year-olds aren't inherently obnoxious in a vacuum; they learn it from obnoxious parents.  (And for the record, I don't think we ought to politicize anything for children until they near an age to vote; I'd go at least age 14, when presumably they are starting to study history in earnest.  More like "my mother has spent the past 8 years drilling into me that I'm a fierce feminist just like she is"; and that's not a statement I make just because I would be surprised to find that Sadie has friends -  I just find it hard to believe that everyone in her circle of 12-year-olds is so woke that they know what they're talking about when they breathlessly praise you for your political stance.)

Thank you to the person who posted the intel about Kyle's (?) father!  I was uber-wondering what the parents who owned that mansion did for a living.  I wanted to show it to a friend who doesn't watch, and I had to invoke the burst setting on my iPhone in order to capture the entire rollout of it, lol.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 2
On 4/10/2019 at 7:21 AM, cameron said:

Ivy is really starting to wear on me.  Her hat shtick reminds me of Spike Mendelson when he was on Top Chef.  Didn't like that either.

Doesn't matter what competitive cooking show I am watching -- I hate chefs with hats. Drives me insane. Doesn't matter what kind of hat either. Actually, I can't stand them on Project Runway contestants either. Hate the hat shtick. Period. It always strikes me as disingenuous. 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, queenanne said:

who "wants to cook for celebrities like Neil Diamond and Barbra Streisand", it's clear that any offputting personality tr

Unless her mother is a nostalgia freak that would be her grandmother probably. But kids find music in weird ways with steaming. My niece of a similar age to Sophie is a huge Liz Phair fan becaise she listens to my Spotify and Amazon music playlists to my sister’s amazement and got her back into listening to it.

• Love 1

Yeah even at a younger age I was introduced to older stuff early so always was into that kinda stuff more than modern songs. Kind of just catching up now taste wise although its still like 10 or so years old.

I am looking forward to this weeks episode though. 

• Love 1

Sadie's teeth are really yellow for someone her age. I find them distracting. 

That little 8 year old boy is adorable and I'm glad he's safe although his deep breathing talking head looked more like hyperventilating. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Sadie's teeth are really yellow for someone her age. I find them distracting. 

That little 8 year old boy is adorable and I'm glad he's safe although his deep breathing talking head looked more like hyperventilating. 

I mean its better than her being all dolled up just for the show. Even if some bits seem forced/staged its nice to know that not all of it is artificial

• Love 2

Rhashad so knew they were losing when they went with Swiss chard. The baked beans were probably fine, but Swiss chard? Really?

Also, let's give the kids boneless chicken breasts, please. Less chance of food poisoning. 

Also, it's still beyond ridiculous that the judges are always astonished that the kids stumble at feed the masses tasks.

1 hour ago, mertensia said:

Rhashad so knew they were losing when they went with Swiss chard. The baked beans were probably fine, but Swiss chard? Really?

Also, let's give the kids boneless chicken breasts, please. Less chance of food poisoning. 

Also, it's still beyond ridiculous that the judges are always astonished that the kids stumble at feed the masses tasks.

At least they tried something different I guess. At this point in the contest im pretty sure its expected that the kids should be able to cook chicken well regardless of bones or not. 

I mean we cant have an episode without drama now cant we. 

1 hour ago, cameron said:

Think that Ivy's pie should have been in the bottom three instead of Ben's.  Her whipped topping was runny and the chocolate layer almost looked non existent. 

I have an uncomfortable feeling that they have already predetermined that Ivy go far in this competition. I don't know why. I hope they don't drag her to final 3.

I feel bad that we lost both Kate and Evie tonight because, until tonight, I apparently thought they were the same person.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Shes already made it to at least one more team challenge depending on the preview footage. Yes I was sad to see my favorite go but I guess ill find a new favorite now. Was not really expecting Evie to go though

32 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

I feel bad that we lost both Kate and Evie tonight because, until tonight, I apparently thought they were the same person.

Me too! Also, I found out there is an Aaron competing.

I had no interest in either of the girls who were sent home so I was glad they saved Ben.  

I was worried about Reid when he fell apart.  He isn't going to win this thing but I just like him.  He's not pretentious.

The menus are probably already decided for the teams despite the discussions about what to serve.  The producers have to have large quantities of ingredients on hand.  It's not like they have the option of choosing pork chops instead of chicken if no pork chops are at the park.  There may be some variations in seasonings and so on but I imagine the meats and sides are predetermined.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Tatortot said:

I found it strange that none of the kids put a thermometer to the chicken.  All of the other episodes they showed them checking it.    I only saw Ivy poking them with her finger.

All the better to create drama, my dear!

I remember as a kid I had a friend whose mom pretty much only let her listen to the Kidz Bop version of songs. I always felt bad for her.

The elimination challenge felt a lot like a repeat of the one where Matthew chose between three ingredients and chose citrus-- only this time the kid picked the one the show wanted them to (Gordon's).

• Love 1

Is it just me and my bad memory or do we rarely see anything Ivy has cooked? What is the deal there? Is it terrible? Can't be worse than a dry, raw, tuna pot pie.

I'm first to admit that I don't always pay close attention to the show but the numbers are low enough now that we should be seeing something from everyone.

I like that kid Reed. I don't know why. Also like Jaala since she's from Rhode Island and I'm loyal and she seems like a nice kid. The one to beat is obviously Malia.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

Is it just me and my bad memory or do we rarely see anything Ivy has cooked? What is the deal there? Is it terrible? Can't be worse than a dry, raw, tuna pot pie.

I'm first to admit that I don't always pay close attention to the show but the numbers are low enough now that we should be seeing something from everyone.

I like that kid Reed. I don't know why. Also like Jaala since she's from Rhode Island and I'm loyal and she seems like a nice kid. The one to beat is obviously Malia.

Ivy had a bunch of weeks where she wasn't cooking in the second part of the episode, so there were fewer opportunities to see her cook. Now she's been cooking, but it seems like for better or for worse, her dishes aren't really standing out.

I like Reid, too. There was less camo this week, which I was okay with.

I was happy to see Reid do well tonight as he's been one of my favorites since the beginning.  I like most of the boys who are left and Jaala.  I don't like smug Sadie and most of the rest of the girls are ciphers whose names I can barely remember.  

I agree that Ivy seems to be getting some kind of special treatment that is hidden from viewers.  I've noticed that they never show her going up or downstairs with the rest of the kids.  They show the group and then cut away as she reaches the stairs.  Tonight they didn't show her dish at all although they didn't show Rhashad's and at least one other kid's either.  I'd like to see her and the 8 y/o boy go home next week.

On 4/17/2019 at 7:06 AM, zibnchy said:

They rarely show all the dishes, even when they get down to like top 6.

I hate tuna too, but I don't spit it out like that,  Kyle.  Of course, I'm guessing with parents like his he believes canned food is for poor people.

There was a Brielle?

• Love 2

Really surprised at the number of kids who haven't had can tuna fish yet.  Does that mean that they have never eaten tuna fish sandwiches or if they have,  where did the tuna come from.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, cameron said:

Really surprised at the number of kids who haven't had can tuna fish yet.  Does that mean that they have never eaten tuna fish sandwiches or if they have,  where did the tuna come from.

Their parents buy it fresh.

And not everyone likes fish. I hate fish and shellfish; it tastes the way dead seaweed smells.

Edited by mertensia
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, cameron said:

It’s not the staple it once was because of worries about mercury content.

1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

"The rice is scented with just the right amount of jasmine."

Um, Aaron?  You do know it's jasmine rice, right?

I was so puzzled by that statement I had to stop in my tracks and pause the show. I then took to Twitter and was shocked that everyone wasn't questioning this statement.

It made me question my own understanding of rice and life.

• LOL 5

For about a second, I liked Sadie when she said she would buy 19 cats if she won...but then she started talking about the 19th amendment and I wanted to hit her upside her overly precocious head...

Edited by Sarahsmile416
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
17 hours ago, zibnchy said:

If we're not seeing her, I'd wager it'd more likely she's been neither terrible nor great. When there are this many contestants still, the "safe" ones get lost in the middle.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

If we're not seeing her, I'd wager it'd more likely she's been neither terrible nor great. When there are this many contestants still, the "safe" ones get lost in the middle.

I'm thinking that there is something going on here.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

For about a second, I liked Sadie when she said she would buy 19 cats if she won...but then she started talking about the 19th amendment and I wanted to hit her upside her overly precocious head...

I almost feel a bit sorry for Sadie because she's clearly being coached by someone who has never met a child before.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

I almost feel a bit sorry for Sadie because she's clearly being coached by someone who has never met a child before.

Or that’s her. Kids are different. I did my third grade extra credit project on the 19th Amendment and spouted off a lot about it because it was something that interested me. I spent Easter having a delightful conversation about Little Women with my bffs 8 year old daughter who picks books off her parents bookshelves to decide what to read and has a reading level that is off the charts so she hasn’t followed the English curriculum in school since she started. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I mean, jasmine rice could be scented with too much or too little jasmine, right?

It has floral notes when it’s cooked but it isn’t really jasmine that’s just the name.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Is it possible the kid was intentionally punning and made a jasmine flavoured jasmine rice? I wasn't paying that much attention but if the internet isn't jumping all over him, either it was an intentional joke or we missed something.

18 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

s it possible the kid was intentionally punning and made a jasmine flavoured jasmine rice? I w

It was Aaron who said it and he says a lot of stupid shit. It was said in passing when talking about the coconut jasmine rice and it wasn’t a joke. Does this show have a big enough presence where people call out that stuff on SM regularly?

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

I meant maybe the kid actually cooked it that way, as a pun, and thus Aaron's commenting on it had basis in reality. I know Aaron's the one who said it, but it's super weird there aren't 35 thousand tweets calling him an idiot.

5 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I meant maybe the kid actually cooked it that way, as a pun, and thus Aaron's commenting on it had basis in reality. I know Aaron's the one who said it, but it's super weird there aren't 35 thousand tweets calling him an idiot.

There was no pun he made coconut jasmine rice and made no mention of jasmine other than stating the kind of rice he used.

Aaron has frequently illustrated that he doesn’t know a lot about some foods and has said equally stupid shit. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Or that’s her. Kids are different. I did my third grade extra credit project on the 19th Amendment and spouted off a lot about it because it was something that interested me. I spent Easter having a delightful conversation about Little Women with my bffs 8 year old daughter who picks books off her parents bookshelves to decide what to read and has a reading level that is off the charts so she hasn’t followed the English curriculum in school since she started. 

And I could certainly see that...I was born the same day as Susan B Anthony so I’ve always been very “women power” but her statement of the 19 cats was way too forced. She knew Gordon was going to ask about the 19...she just wants everyone to think she’s as impressive as her family no doubt has convinced her she is...

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

And I could certainly see that...I was born the same day as Susan B Anthony so I’ve always been very “women power” but her statement of the 19 cats was way too forced. She knew Gordon was going to ask about the 19...she just wants everyone to think she’s as impressive as her family no doubt has convinced her she is...

And to me it comes off like the weird ass connections between things that the kids I know make that makes the adult in their lives shake their heads at their randomness!