Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E19: Keegan-Michael Key / Olivia Rodrigo

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, akr said:

Really? I thought it was fun, with a much better than average hit ratio. I fast-forwarded through Olivia Rodrigo, but she seemed fine - I've just aged out of being interested in most of the musical guests. 

YMMV apparently.  I thought the whole show dragged horribly, I couldn't wait for some sketches to end.  I'm definitely not a fan of new music generally, but viewed in that context, I thought Olivia did well.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

They looked slightly off to me, and sounded slightly off to me. Those were parody Muppets.

I’ve never seen a behind the scenes for the Muppet Show, but my impression was that the muppets were basically hand sized. Statler and Waldorf here were more real-person sized so that they would look in scale with Kenan and KMK. My favorite muppet effect was the swollen black eyes after the beat down! 

I think if Henson sent real Muppets, they would have sent real Muppeteers too. There were a few times their mouths didn’t move when they were talking.   I cannot imagine a pro making a mistake like that. Kermit seemed a bit smaller than normal too. None of that impeded my enjoyment though. One of the best of the season, in my opinion. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The Last Dance takeoff was inspired and the characters spot on, as were the individual interviews with fake Jordan and Rodman, those were "right from" the real documentary.

This was my favorite sketch of the night. I saw the documentary, and I remember cringing during this particular scene, so I loved the SNL sketch. Plus, Heidi was excellent. Everyone was.

I love KMK. It's always good to see him. But watching this disappointing ep made me miss Key and Peele so so much. 

I watched the ep on Hulu, and there wasn't a Gershwin sketch. I went to NBC.com and found the two cut sketches -- Sending Drinks and Rap Feud -- so I'm disappointed to have missed one.

I always enjoy Cecily as Gemma. She really is fantastic at creating characters.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I watched the ep on Hulu, and there wasn't a Gershwin sketch. I went to NBC.com and found the two cut sketches -- Sending Drinks and Rap Feud -- so I'm disappointed to have missed one.

Don’t worry, you didn’t miss anything funny.

• Love 1
(edited)

There seemed to be a little bit more extra joy in this episode, perhaps because of the masks being gone (especially at the "Live from NY, it's Saturday Night!" opener), and maybe because the host seemed to be having fun.

Loved the Muppets, WU was hit or miss but had some hits. I wish they had given Gemma more lines, because the humor of that skit is all in her oblivious delivery. 

I fast forwarded through the "two older ladies who used to be performers" skit because I always FF through those. They are painfully unfunny.

The Last Dance skit went on way too long. I saw the real TLD and loved it, and got the point of this skit immediately, but it was clear the only point it would make would be the same one over, and over, and over. 

Also enjoyed the prom night skit, because people had fun being high school goobers, but if that red carpet thing exists IRL it saddens me.

The rap diss skit would have been great but lost its way with the guy taking his rival's gf and kid. That was way too serious. Should have stuck with the idea of a gangsta being freaked out by how mad someone is at him.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/16/2021 at 6:52 AM, Pete Martell said:

I was wary about Keegan hosting, not because he's not worthy of SNL, but because he is almost too good for the more streamlined version of the show in these last few decades. They are better at figuring out how to work around a host who isn't really suited to sketch...

I was thinking this very thing as I watched. When they put someone in as host who *ought* to be good, the show's a stinker. When they put someone in who's more WTF-are-they-thinking (Elon Musk, et. al.), the writers come up with good material. Maybe they work harder.

Edited to add another possibility: When they put in a person with sketch experience who really doesn't understand the show, that person says, "Hey, I  know what would be good!," and it isn't. When they put in a person who absolutely doesn't know what they're doing and knows it, the writers have free reign to create.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I was thinking this very thing as I watched. When they put someone in as host who *ought* to be good, the show's a stinker. When they put someone in who's more WTF-are-they-thinking (Elon Musk, et. al.), the writers come up with good material. Maybe they work harder.

Edited to add another possibility: When they put in a person with sketch experience who really doesn't understand the show, that person says, "Hey, I  know what would be good!," and it isn't. When they put in a person who absolutely doesn't know what they're doing and knows it, the writers have free reign to create.

There's also the matter of expectations. High ones with someone like KMK. Low ones with someone like Musk.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, opus said:

There's also the matter of expectations. High ones with someone like KMK. Low ones with someone like Musk.

And maybe the writers felt they had to try harder with someone inexperienced like Musk.  And with KMK, they thought they could give him less and he could make something out of it.  I thought the Musk show was well written, this one not so much.

• Love 1

During the monologue, KMK said, "I grew up a block south of Eight Mile Road in Detroit."  But the "Detroit" was inaudible.  The captions said "Detroit," and his lips looked like they said "Detroit," but the word was bleeped out, only not with a bleep sound--just no sound at all.  The words right after that were audible, and the rest of the show didn't have any audio dropped like that. 

It was so exactly on "Detroit" that it seemed intentional.  Anybody else have that happen?

• Love 4

Keegan was just so good I kept forgetting who was hosting. He felt like he'd been in the cast 6 seasons. I figured no Luther because Comedy Central may own those characters. He could host every year.

Also, that graduation sketch was clearly based on my family. Six of us cousins graduated from the same high school, one per year, and the announcer knew to allow time after a Burns kid was announced by year 3. We roll 20-30 deep. And were essentially one of 6 Black students in our respective graduating classes. (All the Black families were loud, because we were excited) If it helps, they cheered for my friends too, lol.

Off to find that green dress from Mall.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
On 5/16/2021 at 7:11 PM, rmontro said:

YMMV apparently.  I thought the whole show dragged horribly, I couldn't wait for some sketches to end.  I'm definitely not a fan of new music generally, but viewed in that context, I thought Olivia did well.  

i Think IT Is Because I Do Not Know Her, But I Thought She Was Possibly The Worst Musical Guest They Have And Most OF The Musical Guests Are Not Good ! ! Some Times, I Like The Musical Guest Like Chance The Rapper As An Example ! She Was Too Quiet On The First Song And Too Edgy OR Aggressive OR Some Thing On The Second Song ! !

13 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

During the monologue, KMK said, "I grew up a block south of Eight Mile Road in Detroit."  But the "Detroit" was inaudible.  The captions said "Detroit," and his lips looked like they said "Detroit," but the word was bleeped out, only not with a bleep sound--just no sound at all.  The words right after that were audible, and the rest of the show didn't have any audio dropped like that. 

It was so exactly on "Detroit" that it seemed intentional.  Anybody else have that happen?

Same here!!  I wonder why 

• Love 1
On 5/17/2021 at 10:52 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I agree with this.  I laughed several times during the Musk show, did not crack a smile this whole show.  It wasn't good.  

Actually, I did laugh at Beck during WU.  He cracks me up no matter what, he can overcome bad writing.  He may be the only one.

17 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I noticed that too, they muted Detroit!  Were they expecting him to call it "De-toilet" or something?  Hehe

13 hours ago, Jody said:

i Think IT Is Because I Do Not Know Her, But I Thought She Was Possibly The Worst Musical Guest They Have And Most OF The Musical Guests Are Not Good ! ! Some Times, I Like The Musical Guest Like Chance The Rapper As An Example ! She Was Too Quiet On The First Song And Too Edgy OR Aggressive OR Some Thing On The Second Song ! !

Oh I thought she did well, and I love the Drivers License song, it almost makes me cry... and I rarely cry, definitely never cry while listening to pop music.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I thought I heard him say Detroit pretty clearly.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:37 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

11 hours ago, LBS said:

Same here!!  I wonder why 

7 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I noticed that too, they muted Detroit!  Were they expecting him to call it "De-toilet" or something?  Hehe

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I thought I heard him say Detroit pretty clearly.

I went back and checked my recording (from the ota broadcast, eastern time). The audio of “Detroit” was silent, but the cc’s definitely showed “Detroit”. Odd.  

• Love 1

live viewing here, Detroit was totally muted, I thought it was strange too. 

Love The Last Dance

Love the Muppets too (I thought I read somewhere that SNL tweeted thank you to ABC/Disney for the Muppets"

The horse trainner on WU was perfection.  It was like watching the real guy....he's just like that (from the post-race interviews I've seen)

I think the ending "have a great summer", etc. was a joke, because there is another episode.

It took me a second pass before I got that it was a prank.  If had been before next week, it'd have been more obvious, but I'm looking forward to this week's one as well.

(If you're not looking forward to it, or just have a lot of stuff to do, have a great summer!)

• LOL 1

Olivia Rodriguez just made me think of Lorde, especially the latter's "Green Light," and realize I hadn't heard anything from her in a while. I loved the Muppets sketch but nothing will beat this for me and I still LMAO every time I watch them. So brilliant!

• LOL 4
On 5/16/2021 at 8:11 PM, rmontro said:

I thought the whole show dragged horribly, I couldn't wait for some sketches to end. 

Perfectly said, which is too bad since some of WU really was good, except...

On 5/16/2021 at 7:43 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:
  • If that was an attempt to have Andrew Dismukes as a recurring WU guest, it failed miserably.

Dismukes was un-funny.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:14 AM, vb68 said:

When Kenan said during the monologue that he had been on the show for several years, I totally would had shot back "don't you mean several DECADES, Bud?" lol  

Actually, I Think Kenan's Been On Since 2002 And 2022 Would Make IT TWENTY Years So That Is NOT Quite TWO Decades ! Also ,I Did Not Know What You Meant By Several ! IT Is NOT Several IF IT Isn't Even TWO decades ! IT Would Be A Couple OF Decades IFI IT Had Been TWO Decades Which IT Wasn't Completely TWO Decades !