Type keyword(s) to search

S02E07: Apophasis

• Start Topic

Assuming the involvement of the Campbell brothers at the Copeland territory shootout, Jackie confronts Grace, who can no longer sidestep her sons' criminal activity.

Jackie finds blood on the bottom of Grace's shoes, though he searched her home without a warrant.

Grace finally agrees to cooperate since Kelvin needs to go to a hospital, not rely on a guy who used to be a doctor in Nigeria.

She sets up Anton to be arrested but of course he wasn't going to surrender, which leads to some Rambo cop shooting Anton when they were trying to capture him alive.

She confronted Anton, whether he shot Siobhan, who loses the baby.  She doesn't ask him about the half dozen other bodies he's dropped though.  Eloise won't forgive Grace.

Gullible Jenny gives $5000 to Maeve.  Jackie isn't happy because they might need that getaway fund he had hidden in the basement.  Jenny says it's "pathetic" that they have to have a getaway fund in the first place.

The young priest who was tempting Jenny and who probably slept with Maeve warns Jackie that Maeve is looking to buy guns for the IRA.

DeCourcy, who didn't want to have the baby in the first place, pummels the expensive baby carriage he bought for Siobhan, who no longer wants to see anything that reminds her of the baby.  Could have given it to charity, maybe the local churches know people who have infants or expect infants.

DeCourcy is suppose to be an accomplished, smart, prosecutor, who doesn't take the bait from the likes of Jackie or his boss or racist Boston PD cops.  But they wanted to show him feeling rage or something?  Because he can't do anything about his wife being shot or losing their baby?

He tries to console Grace after Anton is killed but she won't have any of it, like it's his fault that her son was a POS who killed and got people killed or shot.

They have made DeCourcy so unlikeable this year.  How can it be that I like Jackie over him?

I do wonder if Jenny has been duped.  All things point to this.  I guess Maeve was able to easily spot someone she could find sympathy from.

After everything that Anton has done I actually felt bad that he took one to the head.  I was hoping he would be caught and put in jail for a long time but he seemed ready to surrender when the cop decided to be the judge and jury.

The last episode looks like it won't be a happy one.  With these crimes stories it never is.

15 hours ago, edhopper said:

Frankie Ryan's dead? When did that happen?

Cathy mentioned it to the daughter at the end of the last episode, but it didn't register with me until I came here. We talked about it a bit in E6.

16 hours ago, edhopper said:

Frankie Ryan's dead? When did that happen?

Right?????  I'm glad that me and DH aren't the only ones who have no clue why he's dead.

What was with the blood on Decoursey's shirt at the end?  Was that from Antoin?  The miscarriage?  He murdered someone?  This show is all over the place.  

10 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Right?????  I'm glad that me and DH aren't the only ones who have no clue why he's dead.

What was with the blood on Decoursey's shirt at the end?  Was that from Antoin?  The miscarriage?  He murdered someone?  This show is all over the place.  

The blood must have been from Anton’s shooting scene.  He wasn’t wearing the white shirt when he helped Siobhan to the hospital.  I don’t think he got it while getting dressed at home afterwards but I guess anything is possible.

I am surprised that Frankie is dead, I guess the show was hiding it from us just like Cathy was hiding it from her kids. Which is seriously messed up, that's the kind of thing you might want to mention to your kids? I thought her daughter would find drugs or stacks of cash.

Anton was an absolute piece of shit murderer, but I wanted him to get sent to jail instead of being shot by some trigger happy cop, especially when he seemed to be about to surrender to the cops anyway. Plus now this means the whole story with Grace dealing with her sons getting involved with the lifestyle that she has worked against for her whole life is now probably going to be swerving into the cop being investigated for the shooting and Grace leading the charge to get justice for Anton, when I was really interested in the story with Grace and her sons and Grace becoming reluctantly complicent in their crimes. They had a really complex family dynamic, it sucks that we are losing that. 

Yeah if Maeve wanted to hide from the IRA, Boston was probably not the city to relocate to. I am still not convinced that she isn't still IRA and is playing Jenny. 

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was really interested in the story with Grace and her sons and Grace becoming reluctantly complicent in their crimes.

This is disappointing because of exactly that. Grace kind of avoids any culpability in her pride. 

I do like that they finally have Jackie on a case and actually is good at it. And he sees right through Grace. 

That interrogation scene was short but really good. Grace thought she was hot shit making demands until Jackie laid it right down. 

He's remarkably well read too. 

On 5/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, Dminches said:

They have made DeCourcy so unlikeable this year.  How can it be that I like Jackie over him?

I like them both, and it was a misstep to keep them apart so long this season. I'd say Decourcy is more mopey than anything. Some of it was his fault for screwing up the trial, but Sib wasn't helping either. 

Fuckmyass not your mother!

Nooooo. No no no. 

So I guess Cathy just took over Jimmy's spot and customers. That certainly makes sense, but I think they could have tipped us off earlier. 

On 5/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, aghst said:

Because he can't do anything about his wife being shot or losing their baby?

Miscarriages are kind of a derivative plot for me. I'm not going to call too much bs on Decourcy being upset. Once she got pregnant, I do think he was happy and invested. Beating up the carriage was just dumb. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 1
(edited)

I mean, come on, you can't seriously expect your husband to cough up a couple of thousand dollars. 

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Yeah if Maeve wanted to hide from the IRA, Boston was probably not the city to relocate to. I am still not convinced that she isn't still IRA and is playing Jenny. 

Me and Jackie agree with you. 

'I could sell dick brownies to a dyke on a diet' could arguably be the best line in all of television. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am surprised that Frankie is dead, I guess the show was hiding it from us just like Cathy was hiding it from her kids.

I think there was a scene earlier in the season where someone made a comment to Cathy implying that Frankie was dead.  I can’t recall with whom.  Maybe it was when she visited Tara and her husband.

• Love 1
On 5/11/2021 at 8:38 PM, Dminches said:

I think there was a scene earlier in the season where someone made a comment to Cathy implying that Frankie was dead.  I can’t recall with whom.  Maybe it was when she visited Tara and her husband.

Ok, as far as Frankie dying, they mention it in the 2nd ep. Cathy is sneaking drugs into prison and is visiting someone (a member of the gang?)

"Are the kids ok?"

"I haven't told them yet."

"What are you waiting for?"

"I got other plans."

Then she said something about doing her grieving in private.

• Love 1
(edited)

True, they did include that scene to let us know that Frankie was out of the picture, but it felt like they left it intentionally vague.  Maybe because they weren't sure whether Jonathan Tucker would be available, or how much.  I forgot about the "grieving in private" line, which does seem conclusive.  But still, there's letting your audience figure things out because it's insulting to spoon-feed them, and there's making everything so cryptic and vague all the time that it really doesn't help.  It can be hard to enjoy a show if you feel like you don't know what the hell is going on half the time.

Yep, they made Anton a bit sympathetic at the end, there.

Jackie is becoming more likeable, and DeCourcy has been more unlikeable this season.  Maybe they'll meet in the middle or something and get drunk together.  I'd like to see those two have a good chat.  Like, a real chat, lay it all out.  So much tension, so much foreboding and dread every episode, it would be nice to get a break once in a while.

Jenny's solo was short but sweet.  Jackie didn't show up, though, did he?

Edited by Orbert
On 5/18/2021 at 7:57 PM, Orbert said:

Jenny's solo was short but sweet.  Jackie didn't show up, though, did he?

Wasn't he out with the police trying to capture the oldest thug at the time?