Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Sun and Fun

• Start Topic

As the search intensifies for a serial killer on the run, so does Malcolm's tenacity, causing U.S. Marshal Emily Ruiz (guest star April Hernandez-Castillo) to kick him off the case. However, Malcolm doesn't back down that easily.

Airdate: May 11, 2021

0ec67aed4ea2c1cba2a0822ebf86e66d5a98017a.png

So despite all the ways Malcolm was trying to denounce his father, he couldn't bear the idea Martin leave or die. Oh yeah. Martin really loved that.

No offense to Capshaw, but her stab wound is too shallow and not really fatal to be believable. Considering the Surgeon is an efficient killer, why would her injuries be anything less than fatal?

• Love 1
(edited)

Normally I’d be the first one to gush over this episode but what’s the point anymore?   Cancelling the show has really depressed me.   I love it warts an all.  It was among my favorites so of course Fox canceled it.  Stupid Fox

Malcolm losing his mind being right about Martin and Vivian but no one believing him or caring that Martin was in trouble.  Was kinda sad.   Jessica getting that phone call.  And was that a Rotary phone and not telling Ainsley and Gil That she had spoken to Vivian.  

Loved Malcolm and Ainsley (I am going to miss Ainsley) working together.   But my favorite line of the night goes to Martin.

”I am not the Devil, Vivian.   But I will show you Hell.”

I hate you Fox tv”. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
(edited)

I just heard about the cancellation, I am seriously bummed. This is why it can be so hard to really get invested in shows, they often end up getting cancelled after a season or two. I hate cancelation season, especially when you know that half the shows that are being greenlit in place of the shows you like that get cancelled are going to be garbage and be cancelled themselves. I guess it just never found a large enough audience, but I cant imagine its that expensive and it does have a pretty dedicated fanbase, even if it isn't huge. I have no idea why some shows grab people and some don't, its a mystery. I really like this show, I am crossing my fingers that it gets picked up elsewhere, there is clearly a lot more story left to tell. Ainsley still needs to go on her big killing spree!

Its hard to talk about the episode itself I am so sad about the cancelation, but I did think this was a good episode. Of course Malcolm cant let his father die, he still loves him even though he hates that he still feels any attachment to him. He is totally aware that his father is a horrible murderous selfish psychopath who ruined his life and gave him truck loads of trauma that he isn't even close to working through, but he just cant fully separate himself from him. And Martin knows that, smug asshole that he is. He does love his family as much as someone like him can feel love, but its a very toxic possessive kind of love that is not anywhere near healthy that the Whitleys would be off cutting themselves off from. 

CZJ's face is so stiff that her crazy eyes have to do all of the acting for her. I think that her bit about how people often assume that women are victims while men are perpetrators of crime, in fiction and in reality, was interesting, we saw it at the start of the episode when everyone figured that Vivian was kidnapped or brainwashed by Martin when really she was enacting her own version of Misery, and its been in the subtext of Ainsley and Malcolm since the start of the show. No one has ever said it out loud, but you can imagine that one of the reasons that everyone, including Martin and Malcolm himself, and probably some of the audience, assumed that if one of his kids would grow up to be like dear old dad, it would be his son and not his daughter just because they would associate being a serial killer more with men. And statistically more men do commit serial murders, but its not like there are no women breaking through that murder glass ceiling. Probably also because Malcolm grew up a bit more gothy as an adult and has dedicated his career to murderers, plus knew Martin better before he was arrested, but everyone seemed to have stamped "future serial killer" on Malcolm's head from the second Martin was caught while no one seemed to be treating Ainsley like a ticking timebomb, and some of that probably is because Ainsley is a pretty petite blond woman while Malcolm is a guy who even has some physical similarities to his father. Beyond their genders though, anyone who knows Malcolm and Ainsley would probably be much quicker to peg Ainsley as the future killer, even before she actually killed anyway and then shrugged it off. Ainsley has always had a real issue with empathy while Malcolm practically sweats empathy, and Ainsley has a bad habit of using people while Malcolm bends over backwards to save lives, it all really adds up, just the genders don't align with what narratives so often say. This show in general is actually pretty equal opportunity when it comes to murders and victims, they have a pretty large number of female and male killers and victims, while a lot of serial killer shows mostly have male killers and female victims. 

Dani and Malcolm finally kiss...and Malcolm runs off and gets drugged and his dad drags him off in his escape attempt. Of course. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

I am gutted to learn that this has been cancelled.  This has been one of my favorite shows.  

Some nice twists and turns-if there was a third season this would have set up a lot of different possibilities for plots.  I would have liked to have seen Ainsley go up against Dr. Capshaw.

• Love 3

Loved watching Jessica manipulate the doctor for Vivian's file. Jessica is so good at that. He was squirming before she even got started, and she just twisted the knife.

I kind of wish Malcolm had been wrong. It would have made Jessica keeping the phone call a secret more impactful. Really, the cops did everything right. Malcolm sounded crazy and had no evidence. I wish he had stuck to leading the charge that Vivian needed to be saved when the cops believed she was out of it. He could still have put it together when he saw her at the storage facility.

I'm really liking Catherine Zeta-Jones in this role. She's playing batshit crazy very well. I can completely buy her as someone who slid through the system on her looks and the assumptions people make about beautiful, educated, white women while she looked for her 'equal.' All when really she's just cruel and violent. I especially liked her jealousy of Jessica. I think Martin only called Jessica because that's the only phone number he knows, but it rang true that Vivian would take particular exception to that. Here she is, ready to be his new, perfect partner and Martin's calling his ex. It gives me high hopes for if they meet again.

I didn't really get what stopped Jessica from telling Gil about the phone call. I thought when he said actions are what matter she would for sure tell him. I wonder if she rationalized it as her staying out of it all. It's not that she left him to die, it's that she just didn't get involved. I'm guessing it will come out next ep just to piss everyone off. Or maybe Jessica will be the one to convince the cops that Vivian is lying.

I wish Martin had left Malcolm behind at the end. I liked Malcolm on the hunt more than the idea of Malcolm drug along for the ride.

• Love 2

I couldn't believe that U.S. Marshal Emily Ruiz said to Malcolm that she spent yesterday barking up the wrong tree and that he was off my case. Malcolm led her to two of the three suspects and was correctly telling her where to look for the third.

How did Capshaw beat Martin out of the building when she didn't even have a key card. It would have been better if Martin and Capshaw planned the escape together, instead of Capshaw kidnapping him at the last second.

• Love 5

If you want the show to continue please fight for it, go to twitter and tweet your displeasure i am signing the petition i am tweeting all the time stand up for your show and show support.  If you haven't a twitter account join up and fight. HBO Max Warner Bros Hulu.

• Love 1

Wow, didn't hear that Prodigal Son was canceled! That's such a shame. It was fun and campy, had Lou Diamond Phillips. There were characters I couldn't stand (Ainsley, CZJ and CZJ's wooden face) but I overall enjoyed the show. Dang it. 

• Love 2

Well, I did not have "Malcolm kidnapped by Martin on a boat" on my finale bingo card!

I think we should have seen more of Capshaw's crazy, or more hints of it, earlier.

Watched this one with my mom (who's never watched the show before), and I had to explain that Malcolm routinely makes bad decisions and gets kidnapped; also that he trying to find his dad who happens to be a criminally insane escapee....

All I've wanted for Malcolm is better mental health, but I guess I'll never get that. :(

• Love 5
(edited)

Sorry to hear the cancellation news for all the fans.  Hadn't started watching the show yet, but was going to binge at some point  --  still likely will, just sad to know it will end much sooner than might have wanted.

I've learned to not like a show too hardcore - or at least certain parts about it - or its sure to get cancelled, and at the worst possible time (IE, a very interesting storyline or plots/subplots occurring).

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

If you like Prodigal son like i do fight for it, there is a campaign over on Twitter if you are not on twitter just join up i have started tweeting its not to hard.  Fight for it you never know Netflix or HBOMax might pick it up you won't ever know if we don't try.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:21 AM, denise42 said:

If you like Prodigal son like i do fight for it, there is a campaign over on Twitter if you are not on twitter just join up i have started tweeting its not to hard.  Fight for it you never know Netflix or HBOMax might pick it up you won't ever know if we don't try.

I was trying to think of what would be funny to send to the network (like fans sent Subway sandwiches to save the show Chuck, and peanuts for a different show whose name I forget), but the only thing I could think of was Vivian's butterscotch candies.  ;)