Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Pallas

S03.E19: Jeopardé, Sobrieté, and Infidelité

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

I hated it too because Ben wins and I dislike people co-opting OPM (other people's money).  Community property is only for married folks, people.

But, this makes Darlene less bitchy and willing to work on the relationship being good, for, you know, when they move in together!

FYI, Katey rocks rock t-shirts on Rebel too.  Which you know if you're already watching!

She did in Sons of Anarchy as well.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

A better idea for the story might be Jackie making it to the final, but because she doesn't know the answer, she writes "Go Bears!" That would let Jackie be funny without being insane.

Not that she couldn't have done the same thing, but a real contestant in Aaron Rodgers's first game as guest host wrote down a Final Jeopardy answer that poked fun at the Packers (specifically, a dumb-ass move that was the head coach's decision, not Rodgers's).

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

think Dan is a functional alcoholic.  He gets up every day goes to work and takes care of his family but he is dependent on alcohol.  While we have rarely seen him out of control drunk, he almost always has a beer in his hand.  The fact that he can't/won't go without having a beer during his daughter's first meal on her first night home from rehab speaks volumes.

I agree--the garage is his refuge fully stocked with beer where  he spends a lot of time alone.  And he's bitter this season and aimless and irresponsible with money.  Not the Dan Connor I remembered

 

eta:  I think Chuck's ability to chuck it all and retire early  made Dan realized how much of his life he frittered away.

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I agree--the garage is his refuge fully stocked with beer where  he spends a lot of time alone.  And he's bitter this season and aimless and irresponsible with money.  Not the Dan Connor I remembered

I love your avatar (obviously) She's like "Bish, please."

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yeah, I remember at the time thinking that was like idiots who go to Europe and the first thing they do is look for a McDonalds.

I was in Vienna right after they got their first Wendy's. Our tour guides keep begging us to go to the Wendy's because it was such a novelty for them. We had to keep telling them that we didn't fly across the pond just to eat somewhere mediocre that we could just as easily do at home.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

FYI, Katey rocks rock t-shirts on Rebel too.  Which you know if you're already watching!

I'm watch Rebel (you probably know that already and yes Katey rocks with those shirts for sure!! ♥️

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

She did in Sons of Anarchy as well.

Yep there too!! ♥️

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Dan does drink a lot, but Becky was being completely insufferable with all her preachy condescension. And I couldn’t believe Mark’s teacher didn’t toss her out of the classroom on her butt after the way she talked to the kids.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She did in Sons of Anarchy as well.

Gemma!  Until nope you bitch! 😂😩

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I dunno, this show is really leaning into the idea that its base-line  is 'let's kicks some puppies for 20 minutes'. Nobody can't have a win.

It's so infuriating! I've been watching some episodes of the original series lately, and there are little wins all over the place - Roseanne winning at Bingo, DJ winning the spelling bee, the Conners getting chosen for the Rodbells commercial, Darlene's sports teams doing well. It's not much, but they had their fair share of good things, and it was fun to watch. And not every episode was doom and gloom. Even with all the financial problems and relationship struggles, sometimes the biggest problem to be solved was deciding which dress Darlene would wear to a dance. Can we please recapture some of that?

8 hours ago, RunningMarket said:

I'm not gonna lie, I would hop on a plane to Hawaii with BAG. My love of David Silver is everlasting.

I didn't really care for him on 90210, but he looks great now. I was actually thinking that he'd be a great match for Becky, if BAG wants to stick around. I could totally see them flirting while working on the line together, and she really could use a fun, handsome guy to hang out with. I know it's not a great idea for people fresh out of rehab to start dating, but I'll allow it this time.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I hated it too because Ben wins and I dislike people co-opting OPM (other people's money).  Community property is only for married folks, people.

But, this makes Darlene less bitchy and willing to work on the relationship being good, for, you know, when they move in together!

FYI, Katey rocks rock t-shirts on Rebel too.  Which you know if you're already watching!

This episode irritated me.  First, butt the FUCK out, Ben's mom.  I don't care if you are Candice Bergen, she had no right to tell the Conners what to do.  If I were Darlene and caught her reading my phone, I would have drop-kicked her into the next state.  

Second, it's not as though Darlene was giving up a job to go to Hawaii.  She had been promoted and was now part of management.  She could make the money she needed for rent/Dan's mortgage within a few months.  Let her have a little fun for a few days.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

This episode irritated me.  First, butt the FUCK out, Ben's mom.  I don't care if you are Candice Bergen, she had no right to tell the Conners what to do.  If I were Darlene and caught her reading my phone, I would have drop-kicked her into the next state.  

Second, it's not as though Darlene was giving up a job to go to Hawaii.  She had been promoted and was now part of management.  She could make the money she needed for rent/Dan's mortgage within a few months.  Let her have a little fun for a few days.

Ben is too controlling for my tastes.  Darlene has her faults but come on.  Darlene at the start of the episode and Darlene by the end were two different women!  I seriously thought they were going to start the proposal storyline early and have Darlene propose to Ben!

If Molly had left Darlene her favorite music box for her to have when she unexpectedly by episode's end died, would Ben tell Darlene she owes it to "them" to sell the music box so "they" could pay bills, etc.?  Perhaps Ben wants to money so he can buy a new electric razor.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

FYI, Katey rocks rock t-shirts on Rebel too.  Which you know if you're already watching!

I've been enjoying Rebel too! Katey is so talented.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Perhaps Ben wants to money so he can buy a new electric razor.

This made me laugh. He may need a machete first.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/12/2021 at 11:47 PM, Cherpumple said:

I really disliked the way they did the Jeopardy scenes (Aaron Rodgers cameo aside). I don't need Jackie to be a multi-day champion or anything, but was it really too much to ask to let her have a good time and leave with her dignity? They could have even kept the whole Edith Piaf rant as a response to the Final Jeopardy clue, and still make her come in third, but not even letting her finish the game, and then having her leave the studio in handcuffs just felt mean spirited. Geez, why does this show think we all want these characters to keep getting kicked while they're down?

I liked Becky, and was annoyed by the reaction of the family. Yes, she was being preachy, but she was happy and proud of herself for completing rehab and I think she deserved a more positive response. I couldn't believe that Dan refused to forego beer for even one meal, and preferred to eat in the garage rather than share in Becky's first meal home. Selfish.

I'm so over the Darlene/Ben mess. Go to Hawaii, don't go to Hawaii, I don't care anymore. Her heartfelt speech at the end fell completely flat for me, as did Ben's passive-aggressive response. I like the actor who plays Ben, but please, break them up! They are a terrible couple!

and didn't Ben take the last beer?  with his lame "someone came in the house and took the last beer" joke, and then burped.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Ben wants Darlene to do what it takes so they can live together. It's not an unreasonable request given that's what she had said she wants too. If Darlene has changed her mind she needs to say so.

Frankly Ben needs to run like the wind. Darlene's cheated and seriously lied more than once. And hau l poor Louuse with him.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, bobalina said:

Ben wants Darlene to do what it takes so they can live together. It's not an unreasonable request given that's what she had said she wants too. If Darlene has changed her mind she needs to say so.

Frankly Ben needs to run like the wind. Darlene's cheated and seriously lied more than once. And hau l poor Louuse with him.

I know this is a comedy and we're supposed to laugh at the dysfunction, but sometimes I'm wondering about the amount of beer Dan drinks but it's Becky who is the alcoholic, and Darlene is a mess and in no way should she be in a relationship. Living together is not an unreasonable request.  I did it before marriage and it's a good time to bail with no messy divorce needed. 

Edited by nokat
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bobalina said:

Ben wants Darlene to do what it takes so they can live together. It's not an unreasonable request given that's what she had said she wants too. If Darlene has changed her mind she needs to say so.

Frankly Ben needs to run like the wind. Darlene's cheated and seriously lied more than once. And hau l poor Louuse with him.

Cosign. She's just a black hole of bad judgment. We finally had Becky come to terms with how the loss of Mark set her on the road to alcoholism but maybe Darlene's therapist can help her see how she continues to sabotage her relationships and life. This wanting to run off to Hawaii thing just pissed me off. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/12/2021 at 11:03 PM, LBS said:

I’m sorry but if you have a free ticket to Hawaii and your boyfriend can’t come why don’t you ask one of your family members?  Ugh . This season is so contrived.

I've been wondering why everything is about her and Ben as if she doesn't have children. Maybe Harris and Mark can't go to Hawaii but wouldn't it be nice for them to get away for a couple of days - even a short road trip? That house is depressing for everyone. I went with my older kids to an airbnb cottage just 2 hours away and we had a blast spending time together but also having a change of scenery to do our own thing. 

On 5/13/2021 at 12:31 AM, Bastet said:

As happy as I was to see Estelle Parsons looking good, I was a little disappointed that Bev's trademark passive-aggressive behavior was missing, and they just wrote her as directly insulting throughout.

Yes, I feel like her insults were usually more nuanced than that. 

On 5/13/2021 at 12:47 AM, Cherpumple said:

I really disliked the way they did the Jeopardy scenes (Aaron Rodgers cameo aside). I don't need Jackie to be a multi-day champion or anything, but was it really too much to ask to let her have a good time and leave with her dignity? They could have even kept the whole Edith Piaf rant as a response to the Final Jeopardy clue, and still make her come in third, but not even letting her finish the game, and then having her leave the studio in handcuffs just felt mean spirited. Geez, why does this show think we all want these characters to keep getting kicked while they're down?

I liked Becky, and was annoyed by the reaction of the family. Yes, she was being preachy, but she was happy and proud of herself for completing rehab and I think she deserved a more positive response. I couldn't believe that Dan refused to forego beer for even one meal, and preferred to eat in the garage rather than share in Becky's first meal home. Selfish.

I'm so over the Darlene/Ben mess. Go to Hawaii, don't go to Hawaii, I don't care anymore. Her heartfelt speech at the end fell completely flat for me, as did Ben's passive-aggressive response. I like the actor who plays Ben, but please, break them up! They are a terrible couple!

The show doesn't let Jackie have a good moment. She has always reminded me of my mom's younger sister who is goofy and not quite together but also caring and wise. I don't think she needs to lose all the time to be funny. 

Also tired of Hawaii. I think the Ben actor is good but there's already a large cast so the back n forth with him is too much. Not to mention there's no chemistry or shared interest. And why can't he get his own place like he had before? 

On 5/13/2021 at 5:29 AM, Sile said:

Really, show?  You couldn't at least let Jackie participate in Final Jeopardy?  Plus I really wanted to see the cat question.

I know. I thought she was good at Jeopardy and that surely she would have 

On 5/13/2021 at 9:18 AM, marceline said:

The show really is leaning in to making everyone as unlikable as possible.

Ben needs to cut Darlene loose. They don't want the same things and she keeps lying to him.

Wacky Jackie was a pain in the original series and she's a pain now.

I have no idea why Ben is even still hanging around and now even getting his mother involved. There's no chemistry or shared interest. Darlene has lied and cheated and continues to lie (so how does he know she's not still cheating?) and it doesn't seem like she's into him. Why can't Ben just get his own place? Darlene doesn't seem to be into anyone but herself. She has 2 kids. I know Harris is a legal adult technically old enough to work/contribute but that doesn't mean she is not too old to benefit from parental guidance - instead of asking her for advice about how to lie. 

On 5/13/2021 at 4:35 PM, peacheslatour said:

Ben just started running that business. I can understand his reticence walking away from it for several days. Although I think Dan is perfectly capable of holding the fort but with his track record, I would not be surprised if Ben came back to find his store in foreclosure.

I shouldn't have laughed at this but I did. Dan doesn't have a head for business. Ben needs to keep his business up and running, get an apartment, and date Darlene (without living together) or break up. I don't understand why they're together. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/12/2021 at 10:18 PM, Gizmo321 said:

I think Darlene would be better off without Ben. He fails to see she's struggling and needs his support. He berates her when she tries yet again to get him to understand.  And she finally caves in and sells the tickets. Way to be. 

I agree that Darlene would be better off without Ben, but Ben would also be better off without Darlene.  She cheated on him before and now she was planning to go on a trip with a guy.  She may say it would be platonic.  She might have actually believed it would be platonic.  But it was unlikely that it would actually be platonic. At best, it would be an emotional affair.    

 

On 5/13/2021 at 2:15 PM, RunningMarket said:

So, I guess the writers have just completely lost track of the oft-discussed fact that Darlene probably couldn't even get money for the tickets since they were bought with points on someone else's card. And, apparently COVID is over in Lanford?

Or the fact that the gift was just plane tickets.  There was never any discussion about the cost of the hotel and food and transportation and activities.  Yet, they can't afford a tutor or test prep for Mark.  

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Ben and Darlene don't seem to enjoy each other's company. In fact, they're angry and miserable. The writers either need to fix it next season or end it. Two decent people finding out they're not right for each other or want different things is part of life. It's nobody's fault. Ben can still be part of the show as Dan's business partner. Ben and Darlene may be happier without the pressure of a relationship.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

Ben’s comments to Darlene was right on point.  She lies to him whenever she wants about whatever she wants and she doesn’t do the stuff she needs to have a stable financial future.  Becky came home  from rehab with the knowledge that she needed to take care of herself and her daughter and go about it in a healthy way.  
 

Yes, i realize Darlene is stressed out.  Maybe she wouldn’t be if she went about things in a better way 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I'm still frustrated by the fact that Darlene wouldn't be able to sell the tickets. If the airline ticket is in her name then it can't be changed. If her friend paid for the hotel then it would be reimbursed to her credit card, not Darlene's. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/15/2021 at 8:51 AM, Snow Apple said:

Ben and Darlene don't seem to enjoy each other's company. In fact, they're angry and miserable. The writers either need to fix it next season or end it. Two decent people finding out they're not right for each other or want different things is part of life. It's nobody's fault. Ben can still be part of the show as Dan's business partner. Ben and Darlene may be happier without the pressure of a relationship.

I like your idea. Ben can still be part of the show but he and Darlene is a no.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve always loved the characters of Becky and Jackie. They truly crack me up and make me literally lol. That is a rarity for me.  I just wish they would get good treatment and get the credit they deserve as characters and actors.
 

 Ref. Becky’s sobriety.....there’s a country song entitled “You Ain’t Much Fun Since I Quit Drinking.”   😆

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well they've done it. I'm officially hoping that an addict relapses. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

IMO Darlene/Sara Gilbert is not really able to carry this show.  I think she and Ben need to break up especially after she lied to him yet again and was basically talked into something giving up something she claimed she really needed.  Neither of them are being a good partner.  As mentioned, Ben could just stay on the show as Dan’s boss.

Mary and DJ might as well be written off, since they are rarely used anyway.  Harris can move to a neighboring town “to find work” or some other reason, there’s just too many characters for a 30 minute sitcom.  

The show should not be so Darlene-centric.  The main storylines can rotate amongst Darlene, Becky, and Dan.   Jackie could be included as a main, if they’d stop making her totally insane.  I don’t know why they can’t just let her be semi-neurotic.  Also, the interaction with her and Bev wasn't normal. The Jeopardy thing was just mean, but let’s see if they can redeem it in the next episode.    

I never believe any of Darlene’s romantic relationships.  She’s so miserable and the guys she’s with seem to end up miserable. Candice Bergen is fine, but I barely care about Ben, so I really don’t care about his parents.  I like Louise, but I have no idea how she puts up with the Conners.  If I were her I’d just have Dan come to my house because the Conners’ house seems like an emotional drain as soon as you walk in.  I like Dan, but agree with the person that says he seems like a functional alcoholic. The fact that he really left the table to go drink beer was sad.  

Becky is the shining star in this episode despite her sounding like a walking AA pamphlet.  I so hope she has some good things happen to her next season.  

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/13/2021 at 6:30 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hated it too because Ben wins and I dislike people co-opting OPM (other people's money).  Community property is only for married folks, people.

But, this makes Darlene less bitchy and willing to work on the relationship being good, for, you know, when they move in together!

FYI, Katey rocks rock t-shirts on Rebel too.  Which you know if you're already watching!

Maybe we will be seeing more of Katey on this show since Rebel has been cancelled.   

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

A number of posts discussing Rebel have been moved to the Small Talk topic. Episode topics are for discussing episodes; if the conversation goes afield, don't follow. 

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Pallas said:

A number of posts discussing Rebel have been moved to the Small Talk topic. Episode topics are for discussing episodes; if the conversation goes afield, don't follow. 

Thank you for the reminder & moving the posts sorry about that. 

Share this post


Link to post

I agree with everyone about this episode and the show in general.  It's gotten so depressing I don't know why I watch anymore except to in some way recapture the past because I like all these actors and have a history with them (ironically not so much from this show but from others).  I never watched "Roseanne" that much back in the day but I do remember it being a much more positive show, and funnier.  Roseanne's character was the backbone of the show and so far this show has not found a new backbone and I think it sorely needs one.  Darlene and Dan are not up to the task, at least not as written, which is disappointing because I think it could have been so different if the writers really thought about that.  Instead like someone said above, they've made each of them caricatures of their former selves and about as unlikable as possible.  This is not the only show I watch which has been wrecked by the writers going off in disappointing directions.  I just found out that "American Housewife" was cancelled and I think the writers had a lot to do with that.  The only thing saving this show so far is that it has a dedicated core audience thanks to its past.  But if they keep going in this direction that may change.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Roseanne's character was the backbone of the show and so far this show has not found a new backbone and I think it sorely needs one.  Darlene and Dan are not up to the task, at least not as written, which is disappointing because I think it could have been so different if the writers really thought about that.

Darlene is NOT the new Roseanne. She's not as tough as Roseanne or as funny as Roseanne, and sure not as appealing as Roseanne. Dan was and still is peripheral to the women in the show - plus he's still just going through the motions after losing the love of his life after umpteen years. He's just TIRED IMHO.  Jackie is still wacky.  I'm enjoying Becky's storyline more than Darlene. Perhaps I don't see Darlene as appealing and in particular, she still seems snobbish that she's back in Lanford working at the same place her mom did. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Darlene is NOT the new Roseanne. She's not as tough as Roseanne or as funny as Roseanne, and sure not as appealing as Roseanne. Dan was and still is peripheral to the women in the show - plus he's still just going through the motions after losing the love of his life after umpteen years. He's just TIRED IMHO.  Jackie is still wacky.  I'm enjoying Becky's storyline more than Darlene. Perhaps I don't see Darlene as appealing and in particular, she still seems snobbish that she's back in Lanford working at the same place her mom did. 

Darlene has always been snobbish. This show does need a central character we can root for but it never will be Darlene. I don't know what the answer is. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Darlene has always been snobbish. This show does need a central character we can root for but it never will be Darlene. I don't know what the answer is. 

Problem is that the way all the Connors are being written none of them are really worth rooting for.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, bobalina said:

Problem is that the way all the Connors are being written none of them are really worth rooting for.

I like Becky - she's a hot mess and she's all over the place, but I still like her. DJ is fun for random comments and I enjoy Jackie, again because I've watched the original show so much that she feels like a real person.  (I have an old friend who is semi-crazy and comes up with the most bizarre stuff, but we have history).  But Darlene's supposed to be coming off like she's all sparkly and wonderful but she's elitist and **sorry for my shallowness** not overly appealing physically IMHO. So what does she have going for her?  She's mean or thoughtless to those around her (why wasn't she thinking of her kids when she had those Hawaii tickets? Wasn't Mark needing money for something? How about a semester of community college for Harris, since she caused her to lose her job?)  She comes off as the same selfish Darlene as she was back in the day. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size