Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
thewhiteowl

S04.E16: Lockdown

Recommended Posts

Escaped prisoners take control of a courthouse with Hondo and Deacon inside.

Share this post


Link to post

b-sound.jpg

This was a solid episode.

What keeps it from an "A" is really two things:

1) You know how these episodes end, especially on a "sunny" show like this one. Hostage episodes always end with the hostages making it out alive, and the hostage takers being themselves taken into custody, so these kinds of episodes can drag as we wait for the inevitable finish. That said, the writers did take some novel turns with this, as Diaz was a particularly well-written (and portrayed) "no-nonsense" hostage-taker, really forcing SWAT to improvise. It goes against the regular "ritualistic" and methodical "trust building" exercises normal hostage episodes take.

2) The drama with the Streets, especially now that Christina Alonso has (*sigh*) injected herself in it. Granted, she did (maybe) reveal that Karen is again playing her poor little Jimmy, but I don't believe it's Christina's place to tell the younger Street what he should do with his own mother.

Other than that, it was a nice episode.

Hondo and Deacon looked sharp in their suits. Makes me kind of wish we could reimagine them both as James Bond-type spies, but maybe instead of the fancy gadgets, give them good old-fashioned assault rifles.

I also liked seeing Luca take charge and not being fully comfortable with it, before realizing that he did have what it takes- since his father thought the same thing Luca did. There was also a nice callback to the pilot where Hicks told Luca- with Hondo by his side- the best leaders grow into it, just like Hondo had to.

Norah's pep talk was also pretty nice.

Lastly, I really appreciate Hondo's character growth here, as he's now understanding when his emotions get the better of him. You also have to feel for him- and the attorney he bonded with- when he says "if I knew at 22 what I would go through being a cop, I'm not sure I'd do it."

As someone nearing 40 myself, I can sure relate to that.

Next week- the season finale!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Poor Street really can't say no to his mom.  I hope that Karen doesn't die because I love how Sherilynn Fenn plays the part.

I was totally entertained by her scene with Chris. She's just perfect as a narcissistic, smothering addict.  It was a great touch to have Karen watching soaps when Chris showed up at the hospital because she's a nutty drama queen.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoyed this episode immensely.  Like Danielg mentioned above - it was a good solid show.  The Hondo and Deacon characters have good chemistry and it comes off through the shows.  I thought Deacon's shirt was a little tight - but hey that was to show off his physique (which is pretty tight in itself). LOL

Chris is kind of getting on my nerves with Street.  She wants him kept at arms' length, but injects herself into his personal life constantly.  When she's down, she calls Street.  She knows he has feelings for her and she for him, but she plays these little games that irk me.  Either start fishing or cut bait and go home is my feelings on this.  I'm glad Mrs. Street called her out on this.

I don't really care for the Darryl/Dad/Hondo storyline.  I wish the show had killed off Darryl's dad in prison.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They seem to be signaling promoting Luca off of the team and show. How many more years could he have left if made a team leader? It would seem like a retirement bonus promotion, rather than new leadership. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/14/2021 at 9:57 AM, Evagirl said:

I enjoyed this episode immensely.  Like Danielg mentioned above - it was a good solid show.  The Hondo and Deacon characters have good chemistry and it comes off through the shows.  I thought Deacon's shirt was a little tight - but hey that was to show off his physique (which is pretty tight in itself). LOL

Chris is kind of getting on my nerves with Street.  She wants him kept at arms' length, but injects herself into his personal life constantly.  When she's down, she calls Street.  She knows he has feelings for her and she for him, but she plays these little games that irk me.  Either start fishing or cut bait and go home is my feelings on this.  I'm glad Mrs. Street called her out on this.

I don't really care for the Darryl/Dad/Hondo storyline.  I wish the show had killed off Darryl's dad in prison.

 

I enjoyed this episode too.  

I hate them bringing back Street's mother.  I never liked that storyline and now I hate it.

I'm also not a fan of the Darryl/Hondo storyline.  I don't mind the dad but I find Darryl annoying and I really hate his custody side story.  

Edited by AnnA
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

On 5/12/2021 at 11:26 PM, Danielg342 said:

Next week- the season finale!

Two weeks from now, the 26th. An episode got preempted in April for a presidential address, pushing the season back one week

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Raja said:

They seem to be signaling promoting Luca off of the team and show. How many more years could he have left if made a team leader? It would seem like a retirement bonus promotion, rather than new leadership. 

It could be a setup for the eventual series finale. Hondo could retire to become more of a community spokesman and to help run the auto shop, and Luca succeeds him in his place.

4 hours ago, DanaK said:

Two weeks from now, the 26th. An episode got preempted in April for a presidential address, pushing the season back one week

Whoops. My bad. Got my dates crossed up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

It could be a setup for the eventual series finale. Hondo could retire to become more of a community spokesman and to help run the auto shop, and Luca succeeds him in his place.

Whoops. My bad. Got my dates crossed up.

Without knowing their real or TV ages, I would guess Luca is older than Hondo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

This was pretty good and tense. It felt more like a season finale though

Luca doesn't come across as a tough leader needed for such a tough assignment especially as he was on the verge of crying all episode, but he seems good in other parts of leadership. I’m a little surprised the bad guy leader didn’t treat him as a pushover

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, AnnA said:

I'm also not a fan of the Darryl/Hondo storyline.  I don't mind the dad but I find Darryl annoying and I really hate his custody side story.

Conversely, I like Darryl and his storyline and how Hondo advises him and looks after him, but I don’t like Darryl’s dad or his rivalry with Hondo too much

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, DanaK said:

Conversely, I like Darryl and his storyline and how Hondo advises him and looks after him, but I don’t like Darryl’s dad or his rivalry with Hondo too much

OK

I think the two old friends who chose opposite paths in life is the basis for some interesting storylines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, AnnA said:

OK

I think the two old friends who chose opposite paths in life is the basis for some interesting storylines.

I agree, it’s an interesting comparison. I just don't like the constant antagonism and it bothers me that I can’t decide if I should trust the dad or not

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/15/2021 at 8:35 PM, DanaK said:

I agree, it’s an interesting comparison. I just don't like the constant antagonism and it bothers me that I can’t decide if I should trust the dad or not

Totally agree that the premise is a good one, but it's the execution that veers toward annoying. 

On 5/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, Danielg342 said:

Lastly, I really appreciate Hondo's character growth here, as he's now understanding when his emotions get the better of him. You also have to feel for him- and the attorney he bonded with- when he says "if I knew at 22 what I would go through being a cop, I'm not sure I'd do it."

Yes. Like I said, I really hope they continue on this path. It's one of the things they're doing right.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, Danielg342 said:

Hondo and Deacon looked sharp in their suits. Makes me kind of wish we could reimagine them both as James Bond-type spies, but maybe instead of the fancy gadgets, give them good old-fashioned assault rifles.

I liked seeing them in suits and that they seemed comfortable in them and weren't complaining about it the whole time.

On 5/12/2021 at 8:26 PM, Danielg342 said:

2) The drama with the Streets, especially now that Christina Alonso has (*sigh*) injected herself in it. Granted, she did (maybe) reveal that Karen is again playing her poor little Jimmy, but I don't believe it's Christina's place to tell the younger Street what he should do with his own mother.

It's funny, because I read some of these comments before I watched the show, and I was all ready to be pissed at Chris.

But...and unpopular opinion coming here...she's seen Street dragged under by his mom too many times. In this instance, as in the other, his career is at stake, but mom isn't even acknowledging the great sacrifice of Street putting his entire career on hold to help out his mom. 

Chris knows Street wouldn't let his mom know how much he's giving up, and so she took it upon herself to tell Mom to knock it off, and she's on to her games.

I didn't see it as Chris teasing him due to his romantic interest in her. She's a protector of people who she sees being taken advantage of. She's always cared for Street. It might be a tad misguided, but she's only looking out for him.

ESPECIALLY since she said the mom was still drinking, and if she stopped, she could get on the donor list. Also, if she's still drinking, Street's sacrifice will all be for nothing. Yeah, it's his mom, but many times with family, there's a blind spot, and sometimes you have to step in and try to help someone who's about to make a tragic error, all because they're a good person who wants to do the right thing.

In the end, though, Street won't let his mom die. So, it will be interesting, because Karen seems to be a sociopath, only feeling her own pain and never understanding anyone else's, which goes beyond your typical addicted behavior. Manipulating Street into figuring it out rather than telling him herself, pretending that she didn't want him to do it, and in general, playing like she has an ounce of feeling for her son. It's creepy.

She'll pretend to appreciate what Street did and then go on her merry way, without a care. 

I have sympathy for addicts, but what Karen has seems to go far beyond that. 

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Karen is toxic and is a great example of showing that sometimes you need to cut family out of your life. Street won’t do that but he should

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/12/2021 at 11:26 PM, Danielg342 said:

Hondo and Deacon looked sharp in their suits

And then when Deacon put on the bullet proof vest and took charge.....YOWZA!!

I appreciated that people seemed to be using their brains in this one (except the lawyer who insisted on staying behind and got clocked in the head for it).  Hondo and Deacon getting the hostages to jump out the window, followed by the bad guys shooting out the rescue thingy.  Both smart moves.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

And then when Deacon put on the bullet proof vest and took charge.....YOWZA!!

PREACH!

15 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

I appreciated that people seemed to be using their brains in this one (except the lawyer who insisted on staying behind and got clocked in the head for it).  Hondo and Deacon getting the hostages to jump out the window, followed by the bad guys shooting out the rescue thingy.  Both smart moves.  

Yes. Hondo and Deacon immediately took charge and went strategic. You could see them physically shift roles and go into their job, despite the nice suits.

I also liked that, as Daniel said, the bad guys didn't spend a long time on the phone being unsure of themselves. There wasn't really a divide-and-conquer strategy where they try to find the weakest of the bunch. 

It was all just about finding the best way to save the hostages.

Even Hondo coming out and giving himself up didn't totally make him the hero. 

It was a team effort. Really well done.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/15/2021 at 8:59 PM, AnnA said:

Without knowing their real or TV ages, I would guess Luca is older than Hondo.

I don't know the TV ages either, but Shemar Moore is 51, while Kenny Johnson is 57 (will turn 58 in July)

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

48 minutes ago, transitfan said:

I don't know the TV ages either, but Shemar Moore is 51, while Kenny Johnson is 57 (will turn 58 in July)

Well Hondo was a Marine in the Gulf War, Somali (Black Hawk Down)era so he is at least early 50s

Edited by Raja
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, perkie1968 said:

And then when Deacon put on the bullet proof vest and took charge.....YOWZA!!

I appreciated that people seemed to be using their brains in this one (except the lawyer who insisted on staying behind and got clocked in the head for it).  Hondo and Deacon getting the hostages to jump out the window, followed by the bad guys shooting out the rescue thingy.  Both smart moves.  

I think that's what made the writing of the case so good. Outside of the lawyer staying behind, there wasn't any moment where you thought "I saw that coming" or "why did (the character) do that?" Everything was natural- nothing was forced.

It's stories like these that remind us that oftentimes, "it's the journey that counts", not how it ends.

On 5/16/2021 at 12:17 AM, DanaK said:

Karen is toxic and is a great example of showing that sometimes you need to cut family out of your life. Street won’t do that but he should

What I appreciate most about this storyline- and several others on this show, like Hondo vs. Leroy- is that there are no "simple" answers. Things that should be obvious don't look so obvious once you actually take a look at it.

Street should cut out his mother from his life...but it's his mother. It's not such an easy decision now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

Street should cut out his mother from his life...but it's his mother. It's not such an easy decision now.

Fingers crossed that he isn't a match then he doesn't have to deal with the fallout.

I thought Chris crossed the line when she went to talk to Karen.  Street would not have appreciated that.  Especially since he already told her that he knew helping his mother was going to be an issue but he also couldn't live with her dying and he hadn't tried to help her.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, perkie1968 said:

Fingers crossed that he isn't a match then he doesn't have to deal with the fallout.

I thought Chris crossed the line when she went to talk to Karen.  Street would not have appreciated that.  Especially since he already told her that he knew helping his mother was going to be an issue but he also couldn't live with her dying and he hadn't tried to help her.  

I suppose the time off from the season finale to the S5 premiere will be enough time for Street to recover. The doctor said the liver regenerates "in a few months".

My hope is that if Street is a match for his mother, he'll get her to sign a document saying she has to get sober or he'll be out of her life forever. I don't know if it'll accomplish much but Street's gotta start not being a pushover with his mother.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size