Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E17: Coldplay Songbook & Mother's Day Dedication

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

All of them sound the same every week imo. I don't get why they wouldn't tbh.

Adam Lambert put on a different show every week. You never knew what he was going to do, but he was always still authentically himself. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, ForReal said:

Sure, but I don't recall feeling in the past that contestants aren't so much competing to win the show as trying to make the most of their exposure. Of course, they aren't getting any advice from the judges, so there's no way to see if they are trying to steer a course towards winning. In the past, singing an original song was deemed risky, but now it feels like they might just as well go for it. Might be a better strategy for success.

It's a little hard for me to compare since the Covid season and this one are my first exposures to this new AI. I remember the old days where they did the rounds of 8 for 4 weeks and got to a top 10/12 and then we had weeks to get to know the candidates. This new speed version of AI feels a bit rushed and cheap, I would have liked more time to get to know some of the contestants. And not a single bit of news has ever crossed my path about any of the winners in the past seasons of this version of AI, I constantly hear the name Alejandro in the audition rounds, but have no idea who that is or why he seems to be the benchmark of audition perfection, so I don't think many of them have broken through in the industry.

But in this new world where "followers" can be gained and monetized via social media, it makes sense that exposure is what they're seeking the most. Get enough attention and you can make money shilling on Instagram while pursuing music, they don't even have to be struggling artists who wait tables or whatever while awaiting their big break.

5)   Casey is interesting, but I feel the themes hasn't done he any favors. I'd wish she'd get the chnce to really cut loose on a real rock song. BTW, her time with Chris showed her inexperience when she mentioned not knowing what to do with her hands

I don't think she's ever going to really cut loose on this stage. They could make next week Janis Joplin week and she'd still probably get lost in the band noise and the lighting. She just looks small and a little lost up there and it makes all her performances feel lacking.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Vanessa1214 said:

Adam Lambert put on a different show every week. You never knew what he was going to do, but he was always still authentically himself. 

To this day I think Adam's performance of "Mad World" was the only time Simon ever gave a standing ovation for a non-finale performance.

• Love 7

I loved Grace's performance of "Fix You". This song is overdone as covers and it's not my favorite Coldplay song so I wasn't expecting much but she really made it her own. The parts that wowed me were the small and simple things like how she sang "I......oh I". It was so tasteful and well done. I have not been a Grace fan throughout the season but she's really coming into her own and stopped doing too many stank faces. Thank goodness. Simplicity is the key for Grace.

I was disappointed no one sang "Trouble". It's one of the best Coldplay songs ever and if done well, they could have a big moment with it. I have chills whenever Coldplay performs it.

• Love 4
(edited)

so I went back  and watched Arthur’s performance. I was a big Coldplay fan back in the day when they were at the peak of their popularity. But I couldn’t figure out what song Arthur was singing. I went on YouTube and watched the video of Coldplay doing the song. I loved that song. What was Arthur thinking? I’m even more in awe  of Chris Martin being a gem and a gentleman after him sitting there listening to that wreck of his Song.  

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Diana Berry said:

so I went back  and watched Arthur’s performance. I was a big Coldplay fan back in the day when they were at the peak of their popularity. But I couldn’t figure out what song Arthur was singing. I went on YouTube and watched the video of Coldplay doing the song. I loved that song. What was Arthur thinking? I’m even more in awe  of Chris Martin being a gem and a gentleman after him sitting there listening to that wreck of his Song.  

In My Place is one of my favorite Coldplay songs and it has such a wistful tune. What's the point of Arthur singing that with a completely different melody? It's no longer making it your own but he made a completely different song and just used Coldplay lyrics. It's just strange.

Chris Martin is so charming it's almost intimidating. I'd be nervous to talk to him. 

I'll miss Hunter. He has such a beautiful voice and he's one of those singers who always sings "in the pocket" like how they like to say. I hope he'll go onto release music that I can stream.

• Love 5

While I didn't think Hunter had strong enough vocals to deserve winning a singing contest like this one, I agree that he did have a pretty tone. I would probably buy an EP or album by him, since his vocals would be smoothed out in a recording.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, waving feather said:

In My Place is one of my favorite Coldplay songs and it has such a wistful tune. What's the point of Arthur singing that with a completely different melody? It's no longer making it your own but he made a completely different song and just used Coldplay lyrics. It's just strange.

Chris Martin is so charming it's almost intimidating. I'd be nervous to talk to him. 

I'll miss Hunter. He has such a beautiful voice and he's one of those singers who always sings "in the pocket" like how they like to say. I hope he'll go onto release music that I can stream.

Yes, wistful would be a great way to describe it.  I’m not sure how you would describe Arthur’s take —angst ridden??

• Love 2
On 5/14/2021 at 7:52 PM, Diana Berry said:

Yes, wistful would be a great way to describe it.  I’m not sure how you would describe Arthur’s take —angst ridden??

I would describe everything Arthur did as "obnoxious." I'll never understand how he had so many fans. Middle of the pack talent, stubborn and generally annoying.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2