Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E18: My Personal Idol/Artist Singles

• Start Topic

With Grace, I definitely see a bit of insecurity, which may come across as arrogance.. But agree that "Moment Like This" was a terrible song choice. If she wanted to do an older Kelly song, maybe "Breakaway"? She tends to only do slow songs, but I think she could have made "Stronger" work, too, possibly slowed it down a bit.

I do feel like this is Chayce's to lose at this point, but also feel he's least in need of the Idol title. He'd probably do better being off on his own, actually, particularly with the songwriter aspect. Willie would probably do well on, say, a gospel label. Grace seems the most in need of the Idol name. (Well, really, I think Casey is most in need, but she's out.)

Amusing note: I went to download the original version of "You Should Probably Leave" while watching this episode, only to realize I'd apparently downloaded it the first time Chayce performed it!

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

With Grace, I definitely see a bit of insecurity, which may come across as arrogance.. But agree that "Moment Like This" was a terrible song choice. If she wanted to do an older Kelly song, maybe "Breakaway"? She tends to only do slow songs, but I think she could have made "Stronger" work, too, possibly slowed it down a bit.

I do feel like this is Chayce's to lose at this point, but also feel he's least in need of the Idol title. He'd probably do better being off on his own, actually, particularly with the songwriter aspect. Willie would probably do well on, say, a gospel label. Grace seems the most in need of the Idol name. (Well, really, I think Casey is most in need, but she's out.)

Amusing note: I went to download the original version of "You Should Probably Leave" while watching this episode, only to realize I'd apparently downloaded it the first time Chayce performed it!

As a Chris Stapleton super-fan, you'll never go wrong downloading anything he's recorded. I generally hate when people cover Stapleton, but Chayce has done it quite well. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, xtwheeler said:

I won't remember him a week after the show ends.

I won't remember any of them. Which I say every year lol. But like others have mentioned, the way the show is structured now it's really just impossible to really build any strong feelings for any of the contestants.

I still enjoy watching every season but it's just a sort of mindless TV show now that's fun to watch while it's on and then just forget about until it's on again.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I won't remember any of them. Which I say every year lol. But like others have mentioned, the way the show is structured now it's really just impossible to really build any strong feelings for any of the contestants.

I still enjoy watching every season but it's just a sort of mindless TV show now that's fun to watch while it's on and then just forget about until it's on again.

I loved Maddie Poppe on her season, rooted for her all the way, created a playlist for her on Spotify, and...I never listen to it. When I do think of her, I think of "Brand New Pair of Roller Skates" or "Bear Necessities," not anything she's done since. I remember Adam Lambert's great performances from his season more than I do anything he's done since. I guess that's the nature of the beast.

• Love 4

^ I tend to save their live performances, too! Unfortunately, most Idols don't go on to have much quality material post-show. They're not going to get the breadth of catalog that a lot of the people who are well-known from the past do. I think that's partly why I gravitate towards singers like Grace, because I know a big voice like that will be able to elevate the kind of subpar material Idol contestants will likely have to choose from post-show.

I like Chayce's personality. I've never really found him attractive before the duet with Casey, actually. I suppose it's because it was the first time he's not had the guitar in front of him as a shield and had to stand at the microphone--he has nice legs! LOL  The duet is the only performance of his I've liked, too; I think his voice with Casey's brought the best out of both of them, actually. Aside from that, I guess my next favorite of his was "Baby Mine," just because I was struck by how different it was from the original without being totally bad.

• Love 2

Casey absolutely has a rock voice (her Decode, & Black Hole Sun performances were two of the highlights of the entire season). She is not yet a "Rocker" because I don't think singing into your bathroom mirror with a hairbrush for a mic really prepares you or trains you how to be a "Rocker" on a huge stage interacting with other musicians in a somewhat natural way.

My question is does she go the band route, or solo artist route? As Brandon Boyd said, she struck him as a natural frontwoman (even at 16). I would like to see her go the band route and maybe try to not copy but garner a lot of inspiration from early to mid career Paramore.

Or alternatively, she is stunning & magnetic at 16...she could go the acting route (like a Katie Stevens) if the singing career Post AI proves hard to get off the ground.

Or alternatively times two, why not come back next season with one more year of maturity under your belt since AI is allowing everyone except previous season winners to return and try again as long as they are still under the 29/30 year upper age limit cut off..

• Love 4

I don't even know who Michael Woodward is, don't recollect him on the show last season or whenever his season was 🤫

I did remember Laine, it was weird they didn't let him sing his record.

26 minutes ago, Cryonix said:

I don't even know who Michael Woodward is, don't recollect him on the show last season or whenever his season was 🤫

I googled him and he was on season 16, which Maddie won. I only watched the finale of that season.

2 hours ago, Cryonix said:

He was in the Maddie Poppe season and was very close to Catie Turner. Only reason I remember is because I went to the American Idol Tour that summer. 🙈 

14 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Or alternatively times two, why not come back next season with one more year of maturity under your belt since AI is allowing everyone except previous season winners to return and try again as long as they are still under the 29/30 year upper age limit cut off..

The idea of finalists up to and including the runner-up doesn't bother me as much as if this was a rule during the Fox era/golden age of the show (and I'm sure there are contestants from the Fox era that would still be in the age range, are they allowed?) but I really don't understand why this is something they are allowing and what the justification is. 

Diana DeGarmo from season three was a teenager when she competed, has she aged out? I'm trying to think what the cut-off would be - season five or six onwards? How old is Allison Irehata these days? 

1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

The idea of finalists up to and including the runner-up doesn't bother me as much as if this was a rule during the Fox era/golden age of the show (and I'm sure there are contestants from the Fox era that would still be in the age range, are they allowed?) but I really don't understand why this is something they are allowing and what the justification is. 

Diana DeGarmo from season three was a teenager when she competed, has she aged out? I'm trying to think what the cut-off would be - season five or six onwards? How old is Allison Irehata these days? 

Google says Diana is 33, so too old (and great, now I feel old!), and Allison is 29 (so I imagine she might be too old by the time next season would happen).

• Useful 2
On 5/17/2021 at 12:33 PM, LexieLily said:

And that is all fine if that is what they are going for but, to me, this revival version and all of the changes - no results shows, no real criticism to speak of, and the mass eliminations towards the beginning which makes it hard for anyone to make any sort of connection with the audience - is making it come across like this is a completely different show than the Fox version, that both happen to have the same name and Ryan Seacrest as a host. Which, again, is fine if that is what they are going for, and in a way this version is following it's predecessor in that most of the winners disappear, heh, but it just makes me really, really miss the good days of Idol and the contestants I loved. 

Sorry if this was too much of a Debbie Downer reply, lol. 

That's because the ratings aren't good for the network to support more live shows.  It has already hit an all time series low twice this season.  Remember FOX had previously cancelled it.   Idol will never be the way it was during it's peak.  The industry has changed.  So has technology.  These days there are way more options for viewers to discover new talent, i.e., Tiktok, streaming.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5