Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E18: My Kinda People and the Big To-Do

jewel21

Bonnie gains a new outlook on her sobriety after dealing with difficult news. Also, Jill and Andy take a big step in their relationship.

Airdate: 05/13/2021

This is the series finale.

• Love 1

That was one of the WORST series finales I have ever seen. What a terrible way to end a show! Did the writers forget this is supposed to be a COMEDY?

• Love 17

Way too much screaming.

"You can't tell someone you're getting married tomorrow and then expect an instapot!"

"You're marrying Sgt. Pepper?" "His brother's a doctor." 😄

All in all, I liked it well enough as an episode. Not sure it really felt like a series finale, but I didn't exactly have high expectations.

This is the vanity card at the end:

1620842783.jpg

• Useful 3
  • Love 20
(edited)

I kinda liked it and it worked as a series finale.  Life really does go on.    We have the Pseudo-Bonnie/Christy pairing on their first days of sobriety and we have a funny little recap of who the group is as they sit and drink coffee with the newcomer.     I am not exactly sure what everyone was expecting.  Bonnie to decide she wasn’t  an alcoholic anymore?   This make more sense.  Life goes on.  She knows whatever she has to face she has her friends to face it with her.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 18

I posted an article in the Media thread earlier today that said they found out they were being cancelled when they were down to writing the last five episodes of the season. That probably had a lot to do with how uneven a lot of these episodes have felt and how this one tried to introduce a discount Bonnie and Christy to make some statement about the cycle of life and hope even as Bonnie was congratulating herself for being a success story.

• Useful 7
  • Love 9

I loved this show.  I did not care for this finale.  Why take up space with two new characters that are supposed to be Bonnie and Christy the sequel, I guess.  That time could have been used to give Wendy a little something.  Does Adam have cancer?  I don’t get it.  This was a sad ending but not in a good way.  Last week’s episode should have been the finale.  

• Love 11

I think it's hard to do a half-hour finale; it's really only about 20 minutes of show. It was fine, but I really did feel the lack of Christy at the end. Her not being involved made it feel somewhat unfinished. But there was probably nothing they could do about that. 

• Love 10

They should have ended it last week. 

Why did they introduce two new characters in the very last episode? We don't know or care about them, and we'll never get to know them. Their screen time could have gone to Wendy.

I get what they were trying to do but it fell flat for me.

• Love 16

Well the ending was meh.

I was happy for Jill's happy ending.  Bonnie and Adam was a surprise but I guess they needed to show Bonnie's growth.

Just wish they gave Wendy something.

• Love 10
(edited)
27 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Why did they introduce two new characters in the very last episode? We don't know or care about them, and we'll never get to know them. Their screen time could have gone to Wendy.

Maybe they were going for the “life goes on” - here’s another mother and daughter who have stuff to work through…?

24 minutes ago, greekmom said:

Just wish they gave Wendy something

well, at least Wendy got the last word, so that’s something. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 6

I suddenly thought Wendy was going to do a monologue where she told all her stories after all the years.  Not.  Wendy still looked happy.  We have to assume the others know her back story. 

I actually liked the new characters.  I wish we would have seen more of them, had the show continued.

It was a weak finale, and I liked last week better, but it was not horrible. 

• Love 3

I wish last week's episode had been the series finale. Last week's episode would have worked perfectly as a series finale. It's just weird, because when they wrote this episode, they knew it was going to be the series finale. This episode felt more like they were setting up another season. Adam's struggle with cancer would have been a story-arc, and you would have the new mother and daughter as another story-arc.

I loved Sgt. Pepper and Dr. Pepper. 

I'm guessing on an element of Wendy's backstory. One of her mothers (probably the younger one) had sex with a man (maybe to see if she was really a lesbian), which resulted in pregnacy.  The older mother decided based on the age difference she could pass off Wendy as her daughter. This would have only worked when Wendy was very young. The older mother would pretend she had two daughters with a vast age difference between them. It sounds totally crazy, but maybe it's on the verge of plausible? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I don't get the obsession with Wendy on this board. I like her character too, but the show made it clear a long time ago that she's just the comic relief, the extra piece. Every show has one, and that's literally been her role for six years. The only time her character has ever been explored is the episode where Mary died. I don't magically expect the writers to care about Wendy's story in the finale when they've never cared about her story any other time. 

Besides that, the finale was.....fine, I guess. I really think CBS should have given them a two-parter. Very few sitcoms can manage a half hour finale. There are things that could have easily been expanded upon like Adam having cancer and the new AA members. It definitely seems like an episode that was begging to be an hour. And like others said, last week's episode felt more like a series finale than this one. 

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Did they know this was going to be the series finale or were they cancelled unawares?  Because as a finale, this kind of sucked.  the last scene did seem like a last scene and it's great that Andy and Jill got married. But why introduce 2 new characters and give Adam cancer?

Yeah, they did. The show was cancelled in February, but when the staff found out, they still had a few episodes left to write because COVID pushed back production. I want to believe they had to rewrite some of the stories they had planned due to the cancellation and try making the series finale seem more like an "event." 

Honestly, I feel like the writers were screwed over all season. First off, Anna Faris decided to leave more than a week before production started for season eight, so they had to rewrite the first couple episodes quickly and come up with a farewell story for Christy on the fly. Then, COVID pushed back production in Hollywood so there were fewer episodes this season, and CBS decides to cancel it in the home stretch of production so they have to figure out a satisfying ending to a series that has lasted eight years in a matter of weeks. Season eight never had a chance. 😥

• Useful 3
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, JeanJean said:

I think it's hard to do a half-hour finale; it's really only about 20 minutes of show. It was fine, but I really did feel the lack of Christy at the end. Her not being involved made it feel somewhat unfinished. But there was probably nothing they could do about that. 

Couldn't CBS have given them 1 hour?  Even 2?!  It feels rude......

• Love 10
(edited)

I wish CBS had given them a one-hour slot for the finale, but I think they did well with what they had to work with and I was smiling as the end credits rolled.  This series had a nice run, and I wish what wound up being its final season hadn't been so disrupted - by an actor's last-minute departure, a pandemic, and a surprise cancellation with only five episodes left to work with - but it's a success story. 

Life is going to throw things at you, but with supportive people in your life, there's hope you can get through it and even emerge a better person.  They're all better off than when we met them, and they pay it forward by helping others who are messier than they are.

I just looked for the text of Bonnie's final share online, because I think it was perfect (but I like that the show didn't end on that, but on an invitation for others to share - showing how all this is going to keep going, we're just not going to be watching it anymore, which is a tone I wish more series finales would take):

This has been quite a day.  I think I’ve had every feeling a person can have - some of them great, some of them just awful - and never once thought about drinking or using.  But that’s not the miracle.  The miracle is I never thought about myself.  I was thinking about the people I love, and how I could help them (and also some fish, which is ironic because I had sushi for lunch and I didn't care).

When I walked in that door eight years ago, I was so filled with fear, self-loathing, shame.  But now, I kinda like me.  I kinda love me.  I love my husband, I love my daughter, my friends, my grandkids.  I even love those two crazy bitches in the back row. 

I’ve always heard people in meetings say how they’re grateful alcoholics, and I never understood it.  It actually kind of pissed me off.  But now I get it.  My name is Bonnie, and I’m a grateful alcoholic — and if that pisses you off, just keep coming back.

Edited by Bastet
Disrupted, not disruptive
  • Love 23
(edited)

I liked it, not perfect, but better than some finales. They ended on hopeful notes for everyone, Jill married and pregnant, Tammy with her own business and boyfriend, Marjorie reconciled with her son and now babysitting her granddaughter, and Bonnie strong enough to help Adam through this cancer scare or treatment. Wendy remained somewhat a mystery, but that's okay. I liked the new mother/daughter, particularly as the actresses were veterans from other Lorre shows, Melanie Lynskey from Two and a Half Men (Rose) and Rondi Reed from Mike & Molly (Peggy).

I think it was a good time to end it, am curious as to why, Alison Janney has her theories but isn't saying. My guess is money. CBS didn't want to pay the cast what they would want for another round. But who knows, maybe they'll do a reunion special sometime. I hope so. I was rather hoping we'd see Christy's kids in one of the later episodes, maybe a bit of Baxter. Its really too bad Christy left before this season. I'm sure she had her reasons, but the show lost something special with her departure.

Edited by willowk
  • Love 11

I just realized I'm a little sad about "Mom" ending. It's been a regular part of my life for so long. My favorite episode, I think, is the one where they all unknowingly got stoned. And the jewel in the first episode of Christy pronouncing her own name "Christ-y." It was a good run.

• Love 13

I didn't mind the finale, but think the show - and the viewers - deserved an hour long last episode. And though I didn't mind the mother-daughter duo, I think they should have been given less screen time.

It was my hubby who pointed out that Shannon was Rose from Two And A Half Men, as I didn't recognize her at first. Then when the character was introduced as Shannon, I said to my hubby that I was a bit disappointed that she wasn't introduced as Rose. Hubby pointed out that she couldn't be Rose, as she wasn't wearing flowered clothing. Rose always wore some type of flowered clothing, often a sweater, in 2 1/2 Men. Even when the actress guested this year on Young Sheldon as one of Sheldon's professors, she wore flowered clothing in one scene. I don't know if it was intentional, but I choose to believe that it was. 

I loved that the show evolved to revolve around the women, and Adam as Bonnie's husband. I never missed Christy's kids/ex when they were written out, and haven't missed Christy since she left. I am going to miss this bunch of characters. And Marjorie's cats. 

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

First off, Anna Faris decided to leave more than a week before production started for season eight, so they had to rewrite the first couple episodes quickly and come up with a farewell story for Christy on the fly.

This is just not true. Deadline reported that Anna Faris informed production of her departure early in the hiatus. They had plenty of notice about it. Yes, it was a blow and maybe they weren't happy, but I suspect that since there was no push back on the actress from anyone including Chuck Lorre, who has no problem showing his displeasure with actors who leave his show, that she had a good, but personal and private reason for it. They didn't officially announce it until September, but she didn't just decide not to come back the week before.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

LoL. The "it's the middle of the night. It's 10 O'clock" exchange was so funny and also relatable. I envy people who can go to sleep as early as that.

• Love 23

I liked it. It left everyone in a good place, except maybe Adam. The biopsy results aren't in, so maybe it's not cancer after all. Bonnie grew a lot since the previous episode, though. That was a feel good thing, but not credible. 

• Love 6

Yeah, Bonnie's "I'm not thinking of myself at all" revelation would have been a lot more believable if she hadn't been so blatantly narcissistic and entitled throughout the season.

• Love 15

Sitcoms are generally episodic and not a mystery to be solved so they don’t usually need some big tie up when they end. So I think it would have been overkill with an hour episode and a big to-do. This show was about life happening as you figure your stuff out with the support of others.

I do think any lack of Anna Faris left a bit of a sour feeling, but she did leave a season ago and the show moved on. 

I feel pretty sure in believing the CBS ended it due to money concerns, because of contracts ending and not wanting to pay a lot more to renew

10 hours ago, Lily H said:

That was one of the WORST series finales I have ever seen. What a terrible way to end a show! Did the writers forget this is supposed to be a COMEDY?

This show has never been just a comedy

• Love 15

Add me to the list of those who feel the finale should have been an hour. I don't mind episodes where life just sort of goes on (in fact I tend to like them more), but I hated that they gave Adam cancer and we won't know what happens. I think that's the only thing I really disliked. Although, I do think the previous episode was stronger and I would have been fine ending the show there to be honest.

• Love 14

It could have been better, but it definitely could have been worse. In a weird way it reminded me of the series finale of......ok people work with me here this is a strange one, don't know why it popped into my brain, but here goes...NYPD Blue. In it a new detective joined the squad, and old one got promoted, they solved a crime and you got the feeling that's what these people were gonna keep doing, we just weren't going to see it anymore.

That's the same feeling I got. The group made some new friends, some good things happened, some bad things happened, and you know these people will go on with their lives together, we just won't see it.

Like I said, it could have been better but it could have been worse, and now we have eight seasons, 4 or 5 of which were really good and I'm gonna go watch them 😂😎💗

• Love 8
(edited)

The Office had many elongated episodes that were 40 minutes long -- not even just for the finale, but for some everyday episodes.  Because NBC granted them that.  It's about respect.  "Mom" was on for 8 seasons and everything has to be wrapped up in 20 minutes?  I would have preferred an hour or more.  There is such a big cast of people that they could have invited back from early seasons.  Even Gunther from "Friends" was in the "Friends" finale.

There are "sitcoms" like Sex and the City and Gilmore Girls (they're situation comedies, or you could say dramedies if you want) that were given movies or Netflix specials.  Finales don't have to follow any rules.  Remember Abed on "Community"?  

six-seasons-and-a-movie.gif

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
(edited)

This kinda does remind me of the BBT finale.  Yeah a few big things might have happened but tomorrow  is essentially a Friday and they are going to do what they do on Fridays.    No one is moving to Hawaii or getting a job on Mars and never going to see the group again.  There isn’t a death bed confessional.   I think the big thing is that Bonnie is finally at the point where she can handle stress and isn’t going to jump into booze or drugs or just plain run because Adam has cancer.  No she is never going to be perfect and is always  going to be Bonnie but she is still at a point in her life where she will stay and be physically and emotionally there for Adam....and for that matter any train wreck who walks through the door at the meeting who used to be her.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 15

So here we are! Melanie Lynskey is a great actress, and I love Rondi Reed from Mike & Molly. I wonder if this was a quasi-pilot for their own show? I wouldn't mind that. 

I took their story as a "life goes on" reminder, that the women will be there for them in their journey. And they will be there for Bonnie with Adam's health, and for Jill and her baby. 

The episode was a kind of quiet intimate event, as opposed to the kitchen-sink variey, like Big Bang.

It'll do. 

• Love 8

I didn't like the Adam story, it was manipulative and gratuitous. Total hand-wave to the existence of Christy--I have a daughter, she moved away.

Everything else was pretty formulaic. Unlike BBT and The Office finales, when this episode comes up in reruns, I'll probably skip it

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Why did they introduce two new characters in the very last episode? We don't know or care about them, and we'll never get to know them. 

Chuck Lorre was trying to bring the show to a full circle: it started with a feuding mother and daughter who had both started AA to try to improve their lives. That is where is ended, too. Life goes on.

• Useful 2
  • Love 17
10 hours ago, UsernameFatigue said:

It was my hubby who pointed out that Shannon was Rose from Two And A Half Men, as I didn't recognize her at first.

I recognized her voice before I recognized her face. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I didn't like the Adam story, it was manipulative and gratuitous. Total hand-wave to the existence of Christy--I have a daughter, she moved away.

Everything else was pretty formulaic. Unlike BBT and The Office finales, when this episode comes up in reruns, I'll probably skip it

I’ll pretty much skip the last 2 seasons.  I enjoyed the reruns of the earlier seasons more than this season.

They really couldn’t do anything with Christy.  The actress left and the writers gave her a good ending but I would have liked Bonnie’s phone call about Adam to be to Christy.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

It left everyone in a good place, except maybe Adam. The biopsy results aren't in, so maybe it's not cancer after all. 

The PET scan confirmed it, and he was referred to an oncologist. The biopsy was to determine what type of lung cancer it was (there are at least half a dozen), so they could proceed with a course of treatment. There is also the possibility that it isn't a primary lung tumor and had metastasized from somewhere else. Since he is insensate in the lower part of his body, it is logical that he could have prostate, testicular or colon cancer without realizing it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I loved the wrap up to Jill's journey. The old Jill wouldn't have been able to have a less than perfect wedding, let alone one with a mother-daughter duo scrapping in the background. It bodes really well for the chaos kids bring into a household!! 
I think part of the lack of any real wrap up for Wendy may stem from her arc never being clearly defined. What would she have needed for a happy ending? One of Marjorie's major arcs was her relationship with her son, and that was settled. Jill's was the baby arc. Tammy's was having a stable life for the first time in forever. Wendy never seemed to be really longing for anything - and she was very stable as a nurse. And wasn't she made nurse-manager recently?

Anyway, good ending. And you go, Jill!

• Love 12
11 hours ago, willowk said:

I liked the new mother/daughter, particularly as the actresses were veterans from other Lorre shows, Melanie Lynskey from Two and a Half Men (Rose) and Rondi Reed from Mike & Molly (Peggy).

Thank you! I could place the mother but not the daugheter although I knew I had seen her in another show.

I loved it. For me this is going to enter the short list of shows that stuck the landing (and it did so with many problems not under the control of the writers). Bonnie's reached a place in her life where a crisis does not send her back to drugs nor spinning out of control emotionally (well, after the first moment). Instead she kept it together and was there for Adam, Jill and the two newbies. She was thankful for all she got despite life just having handed her another possibly devastating blow. And that's how life works, there's good and bad and things never get tied up with a happy little bow.

Jill will get the family she had always wished for and was able to enjoy a wedding that previous seasons Jill would never even have considered an option. And that wedding dress was just perfect. Marjorie is a happy grandmother who finally has bonded with her son for good. Tammy's found her place in the world and a good man - and she was able to put the prison behind her by talking to the judge. We got a final piece of the mysterious puzzle that is Wendy, who looked great and happy too and got the last word.

The vanity card was lovely. It was a fun, sometimes sad ride that got the perfect bitter-sweet ending.

• Love 12
50 minutes ago, ch1 said:

I’ll pretty much skip the last 2 seasons.  I enjoyed the reruns of the earlier seasons more than this season.

See, I'm the opposite.  I'll watch reruns of mid-series through the end.  I don't care to watch the beginning seasons with Violet, Roscoe, Baxter, Kevin Pollack's character (although I love the actor).  I thought this last season was one of my favorites.

• Love 10

This was a terrible episode.  Putting those two women in the finale was pointless, they added nothing to the show and took away time that should have been spent on the regulars and Andy bringing them to the wedding was stupid.  When Wendy came to the podium after Bonnie's share I thought we might be getting to see a little more last minute insight into her character, but no, she was just there to ask if anybody else wanted to share and I found it really irritating when Adam said he and Bonnie needed to talk and Bonnie had to get nearly hysterical and start jabbering on and on.  This episode left me with a bad feeling, what a let down!

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, roughing it said:

See, I'm the opposite.  I'll watch reruns of mid-series through the end.  I don't care to watch the beginning seasons with Violet, Roscoe, Baxter, Kevin Pollack's character (although I love the actor).  I thought this last season was one of my favorites.

That there shows how much this show has evolved from focusing on Anna Faris and her mom and kids to focusing on the women in the support group

• Love 4
(edited)

There are some episodes I don’t watch in re-runs, the whole Patrick storyline is one of them.  I love the last seasons when they brought in Kristen as Tammy she made the show even better for me anyway.  So sorry to this show go but will be watching reruns.

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 7
16 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I don't get the obsession with Wendy on this board. I like her character too, but the show made it clear a long time ago that she's just the comic relief, the extra piece. Every show has one, and that's literally been her role for six years. The only time her character has ever been explored is the episode where Mary died. I don't magically expect the writers to care about Wendy's story in the finale when they've never cared about her story any other time. 

I still want to know why Wendy was arrested while wearing scrubs. Now, I'm assuming that either the charges were dismissed or she got probation since she didn't have anything to add when Tammy and Marjorie were talking about having done time. 

• Love 3

Strangely, TV Guide listed two back-to-back "new" episodes last night, so I was expecting an hour, not a half hour. I was afraid my DVR missed recording one of them.

Overall I liked it. Like others, though, I object to the cancer storyline. I understand what the plot point was servicing: the apparent growth Bonnie has shown in the face of a crisis. But it leaves the series with a major question mark hanging over it, and I don't like that. I don't need everyone to have some sort of closure, and in fact I think the episode did a good job of making it just another day. But the cancer thing bugged.

I did enjoy "Rose and Peggy" and understood the point of introducing them. And I thought the girls sitting around at the Bistro telling Rose (or whatever her character's name was) their own stories was a real highlight of the episode. The dialogue was breezy and funny and it's always been what the show does best. I also liked the phone tag scene with Bonnie when she ultimately didn't know who she was talking to anymore.

I think everyone had a good part to play in this, and I liked the ending with Wendy asking for another share. I'll miss the show but I'm not sure whether or not I think it should have gone on another season or two. 

• Love 10

They ended in a way that rang true thematically, and also left the door wide open for future pick-ups, reboots, movies, etc. Show runners are wising up and not writing themselves into the corner with finales any more!

I will miss this show. Didn't watch when it first came out, because it looked pretty one-joke with Allison Janney in vulgar grandma mode. I can't remember which was the first episode I happened to catch, but I think it was around season 3, and the women's friendships were definitely what caught me. I've kept up pretty consistently and am now rewatching from the start. Yes, there have been better and worst stories, but I like the whole cast very much. Adam and Tammy have been great additiions.

BTW if you're sad to see Mom go, several of the actresses happen to have published memoirs. I've read a bunch of them. On opposite ends, Kristen Johnston's and Mimi Kennedy's are my favorites. Kristen's is like catching up with your cool older friend over coffee; Mimi's is incredibly thoughtful and carefully crafted (and from longer ago--I'd love for her to write a second volume covering the 90s till now). Both feel very honest and compassionate. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 6

7 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I don't mind episodes where life just sort of goes on (in fact I tend to like them more), but I hated that they gave Adam cancer and we won't know what happens. I think that's the only thing I really disliked. Although, I do think the previous episode was stronger and I would have been fine ending the show there to be honest.

That was my biggest problem with the finale. Adam is a character many viewers care about and to leave his fate so uncertain when everyone else gets a happily ever after felt wrong. 

29 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Like others, though, I object to the cancer storyline. I understand what the plot point was servicing: the apparent growth Bonnie has shown in the face of a crisis. But it leaves the series with a major question mark hanging over it, and I don't like that. I don't need everyone to have some sort of closure, and in fact I think the episode did a good job of making it just another day. But the cancer thing bugged.

Same here. If they wanted to show Bonnie's growth through a crisis, have Adam tell her the doctor found something and referred him to a specialist for tests. You can still have Bonnie freak out and call Marjorie. You can still show her worrying about what happens next. The results come back; it's treatable with surgery, or it isn't actually cancer. Bonnie's share at the end about being able to deal with a crisis without drugs or alcohol still works.  

• Love 6
14 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

This is just not true. Deadline reported that Anna Faris informed production of her departure early in the hiatus. They had plenty of notice about it. Yes, it was a blow and maybe they weren't happy, but I suspect that since there was no push back on the actress from anyone including Chuck Lorre, who has no problem showing his displeasure with actors who leave his show, that she had a good, but personal and private reason for it. They didn't officially announce it until September, but she didn't just decide not to come back the week before.

Do you have a link to that? Because this article from People says otherwise: https://people.com/tv/nobody-wanted-anna-faris-to-leave-mom-source/

It seems like everybody was caught off guard by it and they didn't have time to prepare for it. If everybody knew ahead of time, why couldn't Anna at least stay for one more episode? Something where she could be written off and everybody says goodbye to her? There are other shows that had to deal with cast members leaving, but the characters at least had one more episode to write them off properly. Donald Glover wanted to leave Community after season four, but Dan Harmon convinced him to stay for the first couple episodes of season five so his character would be given a proper send-off. 

The timing of it all was very strange. Anna Faris decided to leave months before, she talked to the crew about it, and she puts out a statement just days before production of season eight starts? The network was scrambling? Not saying you're wrong, but everyone (including us) thought the situation was sketchy when it first happened. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I think everyone had a good part to play in this, and I liked the ending with Wendy asking for another share. I'll miss the show but I'm not sure whether or not I think it should have gone on another season or two. 

Exactly. All sitcoms start to run out of gas when they get to season 8, and we had a major blow losing Anna. I don't want Mom to be one of those shows that people say "it used to be good, now it sucks"

Giving Wendy (Wanda was cute) have the final line, a definitive line in the series, was fitting, and put a period on it. I always say no show ever did "laughter through tears" better than Mom. 

• Love 9