Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E14: Safe

• Start Topic

After a series of brutal home-invasion robberies, Upton immerses herself in the case and finds herself caught between Voight and Halstead.

Airdate: 05/12/2021

(edited)
2 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I'm beginning to hate Upton.  That is all.

I hated her from the moment she showed up on screen. I just find her annoying and I don’t think she has any chemistry with Jay. She treats Jay like a child . 

Edited by Jaelyn96
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Jaelyn96 said:

I hated her from the moment she showed up on screen. I just find her annoying and I don’t think she has any chemistry with Jay. She treats Jay like a child . 

Couldn't agree more. And it's not just the character; Spiradakos is a horrible actor in my opinion. One facial expression, one emotion, and zero chemistry. With so many talented female actors why her?

• Love 8
(edited)
4 hours ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Couldn't agree more. And it's not just the character; Spiradakos is a horrible actor in my opinion. One facial expression, one emotion, and zero chemistry. With so many talented female actors why her?

My problem with Upton is she is so joyless yet Jay is tripping all over himself to make her happy.  The constant stank face doesn't help either.

It seems to me that she likes to wallow in her past and use it as an excuse for her bad behavior.  We've seen her dating Adam and Jay, and they both were good to her. 

It doesn't matter because it always comes back to Hayley not being happy because of her bad Daddy and wallowing in her shit.  Jay had a crappy relationship with his dad, but he doesn't use it as an excuse to be an impulsive, mopey asshole. I'd love Voight to tell her to take a break and get some counseling.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 8
(edited)

I actually don't think they could make her more unlikeable if they tried. 

So being a dirty cop is the only thing that makes her feel 'safe? What a sad fucking witch she is. If they had caught that guy rather than shot him then it would've been thrown out in 3 seconds flat. So she wants to switch partners so she can keep being dirty with impunity, so poor feckless Jay doesn't get dragged down with her, doesn't care if anyone else goes down and didn't occur to her that maybe she should not be such a fucking asshole cop?

The two actors are obviously friends off-screen and that's exactly what it looks like on screen, almost brother/sister-ish. I cringed the entire way through that first scene.

Blowing off a 'guest' lecturer job at the academy so you can get plastered with your 'brother'....what was the class "How to get away with murder?"...where have I seen a drunk/hungover Jay partner before...oh let me think, that's right, the original Erin.

And what's with the slagging off Ruzek, like it was some big joke. Fair enough if they ever showed Ruzek not turning up for his job, but they never had. And then because the writer is so fucking obsessed with this character everyone else has to prop her up. She has never once shown any concern for any other character on this show but they all fall over themselves to prop up this clusterfuck.

She either needs to be packed off for therapy or a bullet...either way, she's awful and needs to go. Like yesterday.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 9

Hailey Upton is definitely a selfish asshole!

When she said to Jay “it is really confusing for me...”, I screamed at my screen “then stop f*cking your coworker bitch!” 🤬

When Voight was talking to her (several times), the smug face she made (same facial expressions every time), if I were Voight, I will slap her! I totally cannot stand Hailey Upton anymore!

And why Voight is going mushy on her??? Ohh you and Jay are good together, I won’t split you up bla bla bla... WTF Voight? 😤

• Love 7
(edited)

Is Voight only keeping them together because he thinks Jay will be able to straighten Hailey out?  I mean, Jay tried - multiple times - in this episode and she's just reckless and impulsive and dangerous.  She's going to get Jay hurt or killed.  (ETA: Voight specifically said that they need Jay "exactly the way he is" so that was a not so subtle hint that she needs to cut her shit out ASAP.) 

Jay walked away telling her that what she did was very wrong, but then Hailey finally tells Voight that they are together.  Uh, is she sure about that?  Because Jay should dump her, and looked like he was super close, if he didn't actually do it.

I just don't understand how this show has really become this bad, actually.  It used to be good.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Hailey Upton is definitely a selfish asshole!

When she said to Jay “it is really confusing for me...”, I screamed at my screen “then stop f*cking your coworker bitch!” 🤬

When Voight was talking to her (several times), the smug face she made (same facial expressions every time), if I were Voight, I will slap her! I totally cannot stand Hailey Upton anymore!

And why Voight is going mushy on her??? Ohh you and Jay are good together, I won’t split you up bla bla bla... WTF Voight? 😤

Voight's going all mushy cause Upton is the Obession of Eid.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Josh371982 said:

Voight's going all mushy cause Upton is the Obession of Eid.

Does “working relationship” between these pairs have the same dynamic & nature? 

- Rick Eid & Tracy Spiridakos  

- Harvey Weinstein & JLaw/GwynethP

- Rupert Sanders & Kristen Stewart

Btw, as one of CPD main character, does Voight have a say on how his character is being written?

I really miss Al... 😥

• LOL 1

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I basically tune out after the first 15 mins of each episode lately. The plots seem very interesting but the show falls off half way through and ends up going all over the place. I don’t know, maybe I am alone on this lol.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TM101 said:

I don’t know if it’s just me, but I basically tune out after the first 15 mins of each episode lately. The plots seem very interesting but the show falls off half way through and ends up going all over the place. I don’t know, maybe I am alone on this lol.

I agree, I think it's multifactorial....

They got rid of patrol so they had to fill the entire episode with the A plot of Intelligence and they pad out the story and it meanders all over the place. When they had the patrol aspect they had two threads going, now it's just one. Some of them are so convoluted I tend to just give up and wait for the last few minutes to see it tied up in a nice neat bow.

It is also due to EId's obsession with writing these tunnel vision episodes were only two characters get the majority of the focus so that creates even more of a vacuum because nothing else is even mentioned, no threads from previous episodes are maintained and it makes for very boring viewing particularly if it's an episode of a character you don't like. There is no relief which doesn't help the overall appearance of the show in general and it's slow and just drags through cases to fill up a lot of dead space.

It needs to go back to each character have one or two 'big' episodes a season & the rest is showcasing the ensemble cast & continuing threads of stories & backgrounds throughout each episode. It's ridiculous that they had Kim take home a kid & then did nothing with it for 7 episodes. And the complete radio silence from Atwater since his episode with Ruzek mid season. What he said 3 or 4 lines this week & stuck 2 pictures on the board.

Oh...and Eid is a shit showrunner.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 2
On 5/13/2021 at 7:13 AM, nittany cougar said:

My problem with Upton is she is so joyless yet Jay is tripping all over himself to make her happy.  The constant stank face doesn't help either.

Your post made me laugh because when the episode started Upton had a big smile on her face and I didn't recognize her.  I thought Jay was with someone else.  That's how different she looked to me.

• Love 1

It seemed strange that the victim at the beginning of the episode was still wearing her necklace. The robbers had beaten her up but not bothered to take the jewellery that she was wearing? So I was very suspicious of her for a while.

On 5/14/2021 at 8:31 AM, TM101 said:

You are not only one. If the episode starts off with some Bursek or Upstead relationship crap, I'm already tuning out before they even talk about the case, and I just want the episode to finish as quickly as possible. If the episode is strictly case-related, like the serial killer who got released a few episodes back, or focuses on Atwater, I'm focused in from start to finish, because those types of episodes have become so rare.

On 5/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, Guildford said:

I agree, I think it's multifactorial....

They got rid of patrol so they had to fill the entire episode with the A plot of Intelligence and they pad out the story and it meanders all over the place. When they had the patrol aspect they had two threads going, now it's just one. Some of them are so convoluted I tend to just give up and wait for the last few minutes to see it tied up in a nice neat bow.

It is also due to EId's obsession with writing these tunnel vision episodes were only two characters get the majority of the focus so that creates even more of a vacuum because nothing else is even mentioned, no threads from previous episodes are maintained and it makes for very boring viewing particularly if it's an episode of a character you don't like. There is no relief which doesn't help the overall appearance of the show in general and it's slow and just drags through cases to fill up a lot of dead space.

It needs to go back to each character have one or two 'big' episodes a season & the rest is showcasing the ensemble cast & continuing threads of stories & backgrounds throughout each episode. It's ridiculous that they had Kim take home a kid & then did nothing with it for 7 episodes. And the complete radio silence from Atwater since his episode with Ruzek mid season. What he said 3 or 4 lines this week & stuck 2 pictures on the board.

Oh...and Eid is a shit showrunner.

All of this. Just like the other shows, PD has lost its way. There is no semblance of this being a Dick Wolf show, anymore. One Chicago night is just 3 hours of soap operas, at this point.

• Love 1

I really don't know what to say about this show anymore. 

Upton is now recklessly breaking the rules, almost like its normal for her. If were going to have her character go down this road, then what was the purpose of Voight sending to NY last season? What exactly did she learn? If you ask me, she's even worse now, emotionally, then she was before Voight sent her to the FBI. At least then, she thought through her actions and was much more calculated in what she did. Now, emotion is driving everything she does. At this point, we might as well consider the FBI assignment a waste of time.

And what if that mother was shot by RJ? And the daughter is traumatized? Or he kills both of them. Then what? You still going to defend her, Jay? Instead, both mother and daughter are deeply traumatized. None of that happens if Haley does things the right way. All of their suffering is on Haley because she's letting her emotions drive her actions. And Jay and Voight both know she has issues, but neither of them seem willing to want to hold her accountable. Besides being an emotional drag on this show, she really is giving off Natalie vibes from Med. Upton feels she can do whatever the hell she wants, and she won't face any consequences, and so far she hasn't. And it's sad to see both Jay and Hank just sit by and allow it to happen. And it's another reason why I miss both Al and Antonio. They were Voight's second in command, and the wouldn't have stood for this crap. And I'm pretty sure if Erin was going down this dark path, like Upton is, and was in a relationship with Jay, Voight would have separated them in a heart beat.

And I haven't forgotten how she blew off a police training class, which would be a big deal for a cop trying to move up, to have dinner and smooch with her partner. Again, not painting female first responders in a good light. 

Also, how many times are these characters going to continue to avoid saying highway names in the city? I've lived in Chicago most of my life, and I've never, nor have I ever heard anyone, refer to an express way by it's interstate number.. It's either the Ryan, the Kennedy, the Stevenson, the Edens, the Eisenhower or the Chicago Skyway.

I wonder where is Trudy with the same words of advice that she gave to Haley when she was with Adam, about how their relationship is affecting their work?

I really hope for the finale that Upton crosses the line one too many times, and gets killed off. 

• Love 3
On 5/18/2021 at 5:33 PM, WinJet0819 said:

I really hope for the finale that Upton crosses the line one too many times, and gets killed off. 

I have wished that since s4 that Upton is gone. It’s funny how people comment on social media how they like Upton because  she takes her work seriously when she skipped a  police training class for a date 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Jaelyn96 said:

I have wished that since s4 that Upton is gone. It’s funny how people comment on social media how they like Upton because  she takes her work seriously when she skipped a  police training class for a date 

Does anyone ever say they don't like Upton on social media?

If not, I'm up for it!

20 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Does anyone ever say they don't like Upton on social media?

If not, I'm up for it!

Oh yes they do, Facebook is pretty much against her. There is a gang of teenagers on Twitter who meltdown if anyone dares mention they don't like her, but I'd say she's the least popular character overall.

9 minutes ago, Guildford said:

Oh yes they do, Facebook is pretty much against her. There is a gang of teenagers on Twitter who meltdown if anyone dares mention they don't like her, but I'd say she's the least popular character overall.

Thank you.  That's good to know.

I'm not on Facebook but I do use Twitter so I'll look for them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

RnDoes anyone ever say they don't like Upton on social media?

If not, I'm up for it!

On FB, a lot of people do not like her. Couple times the official fb account had to delete some posts because the hate got so bad.  There are a lot on Twitter but lol you see comments from Upton and Upstead fans replying to the post telling people to stop watching the show if you hate her or giving you their reasons why you should like her and why upstead is the best. I blocked most of them or I would be getting notifications from them 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Jaelyn96 said:

On FB, a lot of people do not like her. Couple times the official fb account had to delete some posts because the hate got so bad.  There are a lot on Twitter but lol you see comments from Upton and Upstead fans replying to the post telling people to stop watching the show if you hate her or giving you their reasons why you should like her and why upstead is the best. I blocked most of them or I would be getting notifications from them 

Thanks for the warning.  I'm not up for a Twitter war with some love struck teenagers.

Edited by AnnA
On 5/18/2021 at 11:33 PM, WinJet0819 said:

I wonder where is Trudy with the same words of advice that she gave to Haley when she was with Adam, about how their relationship is affecting their work?

It just occurred to me that without patrol to supervise, we generally don't get any Trudy awesomeness, and I wonder if in the current scheme we would even care about her. They turned a really great character into basically an info dump source. She's used so much better when she walks on in Fire.

• Love 1
On 5/13/2021 at 12:40 AM, Jaelyn96 said:

Seems I may stand alone, but IMO Spiradokos/Upton was a clear substitute for Sophia Bush from day one...everything from her looks to her broken childhood to her partnership with Halstead (which then OF COURSE had to become a romance, because isn't it obvious straight men and women can't work closely together without falling into bed??)

• Love 1
On 5/13/2021 at 10:58 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

And why Voight is going mushy on her??? Ohh you and Jay are good together, I won’t split you up bla bla bla... WTF Voight? 

When did Voight become so unprofessional? First he questions if they are together, she admits they are, and that it might be impairing her judgements.  For the sake of EVERY OTHER officer he is responsible for, if she says she needs a new partner, she needs a new partner.  This isn't therapy where you find her the perfect sponsor, lives are on the line here.  HOW OUT OF CHARACTER FOR HIM.  sorry for the all caps, but I hate that they made even freaking Voight bow down to the crappiness of Upton.

19 hours ago, jabRI said:

When did Voight become so unprofessional? First he questions if they are together, she admits they are, and that it might be impairing her judgements.  For the sake of EVERY OTHER officer he is responsible for, if she says she needs a new partner, she needs a new partner.  This isn't therapy where you find her the perfect sponsor, lives are on the line here.  HOW OUT OF CHARACTER FOR HIM.  sorry for the all caps, but I hate that they made even freaking Voight bow down to the crappiness of Upton.

She needs a new partner in a new division.....seriously, nobody else in IU deserves to be saddled with that clusterfuck. She can't work with Ruzek, we've seen that mess already sadly. Kim doesn't need any more freaking drama, and she hates Kevin because he's black. So sadly...she needs to leave basically.

• Love 2