Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E15: Tradition

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

She seemed to just be lonely.

I don't totally get it, because while I certainly know that lockdown caused depression for a lot of people, Helm has been working and surrounded by people this whole time. And she is a resident, so she has been spending most of her time at work even before the pandemic. I am not sure what she is missing that she had before. 

She was more than lonely.  She was beaten down and depressed by the pandemic deaths.  She became a doctor to save people, not stand by helplessly as they die and are held in freezer trucks because there was no more room in the morgue.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, madmax said:

She was more than lonely.  She was beaten down and depressed by the pandemic deaths.  She became a doctor to save people, not stand by helplessly as they die and are held in freezer trucks because there was no more room in the morgue.

That is understandable, it must be really hard to be a doctor in a pandemic. But moving in with Schmitt (and Jo) is not going to solve the problem of watching people dying.

I actually wish they spent more time on Helm, because I have always liked her and it is an interesting story to explore. 

• Love 3

Where does Helm live now, anyway? Have we ever seen her at home? Does she live alone? (If so, Schmitt should move in with her.) Have roommates? Live with her parents? What is her living situation that she would rather live in one room with two other people. (PS You are grown-up surgical residents, not college kids in a dorm!)

• Love 7
5 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

They’ve bonded over their famous and overbearing mothers.

I still think the worst write-off was Erica Hahn in the parking lot. 

They also worked together on Meghan Hunt's surgery, but yes, at times, they've consoled each other about their mothers and their family names and the issues that came with that. 

I don't remember Erica Hahn's departure, but I so disliked the character, that if I did rewatch those episodes, I would probably skip it anyway.  She just grated on me. 

I really liked the end scenes of Meredith with her kids.  It seemed so loving and sweet.  I wonder how she will cope as Amelia and Link want to move out and Maggie and Winston have spoken about living together.  Who is going to be Meredith's built in baby sitter?  I am sure Helm would jump in and help, but then if Meredith found another man (or McWidow), she would be so jealous.  As long as Glasses doesn't move in, I skip his scenes frequently because he is so boring.  Maybe Jo will move in and they will tag team once Jo adopts Luna?  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, windsprints said:

I wish there was more of Jackson since it was his farewell. Most of his time was spent with Meredith who I never really felt he was even that close friends with during these past 5 or more years. I did enjoy all the flashbacks and would have welcomed more.

Meredith and Jackson were never close in the way she was with MAGIC but they were always shown to have an easy and friendly relationship. They would tease each other about things (like when she inexplicably had her picture on the cover of a medical journal for winning the Harper Avery award) and they definitely talked about having famous names/parents several times. Even when you aren't BFFs with someone, just working with them every day for so long can give you a bond so I think that they were both a little sad about saying goodbye to each other because it's like saying goodbye to a chunk of your life. I know that might sound dramatic, but as she pointed out, he's the last one from her residency class. Although Alex and Cristina are still out there in the world, no one at the hospital knows the version of her that she was back then (well, besides Richard and Bailey, but they were her superiors, not her colleagues).

As for Meredith skipping the clap out, I have mixed feelings. I get if you're the kind of person who isn't comfortable with everyone looking at you. But this isn't someone insisting on singing "Happy Birthday" to you at TGI Friday's. These are the people who have worked tirelessly for months trying to save the lives of COVID patients. This isn't just about you. It's about them celebrating that their work hasn't all been in vain and that someone survived instead of dying. I think sitting in a wheelchair for about 60 seconds and smiling at your coworkers while you get wheeled to your car is something that you can grin and bear to give your coworkers a minute to be happy that your COVID story ended without zipping up another body bag.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
8 hours ago, windsprints said:

I wish there was more of Jackson since it was his farewell. Most of his time was spent with Meredith who I never really felt he was even that close friends with during these past 5 or more years. I did enjoy all the flashbacks and would have welcomed more.

Didn’t he live in Meredith’s house for pretty much all of season 7?

I think him and April moved in there after the hospital shooting, and then moved out when Meredith & Derek adopted Zola.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, PrincessTT said:

I think him and April moved in there after the hospital shooting, and then moved out when Meredith & Derek adopted Zola.

I forgot about that, thanks. I remember them being friendly in earlier seasons. In the past few I just don't remember them being very close.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I actually wish they spent more time on Helm, because I have always liked her and it is an interesting story to explore. 

I like her, too.  I wonder if next season will focus a bit more on Helm, Glasses, and the other residents whose names I can't remember.

6 hours ago, PrincessTT said:

Didn't everybody live in Meredith's house at one point?

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I got teary-eyed at the scenes with Meredith and her kids--I guess that's the mom in me coming out.

With Koracik now leaving, I'm really running out of reasons to watch this show... I like Amelia and Linc, plus Richard and Bailey. Meredith's OK, I guess. And Jo, kinda? But most of the others, I'm either meh, or I actively dislike them... Unless they bring in some really interesting characters for next season... 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Where does Helm live now, anyway? Have we ever seen her at home? Does she live alone? (If so, Schmitt should move in with her.) Have roommates? Live with her parents? What is her living situation that she would rather live in one room with two other people. (PS You are grown-up surgical residents, not college kids in a dorm!)

This show is famous for having grown ass people with good jobs crashing at each others' places and I've never understood that.  I guess they want to film scenes of them interacting, but it really never made sense to me.   Just because you live alone doesn't mean you have to be lonely.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/21/2021 at 5:13 AM, 30 Helens said:

And Meredith had the most amazing recuperation in history, because she is the Sun and Holy Ghost, amen.

Yes, I forgot to mention this and how much my eyes rolled at that. Meredith woke up for good the day/night Jackson left for Montana, and let's give him three or four days to finish with his dad, go see April and talk to her/get her to come with him to Boston, and talk to his mom about his plans, and then come back to Grey-Sloan to quit. For a woman that was in a coma for two months and only has been fully awake for a couple of days, she is remarkably alert and able to function, walk and carry on a conversation. She wasn't even on supplemental oxygen! She went home pretty much immediately!

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 8
On 5/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, funnygirl said:

Glasses is so annoying. It is not his place to invite his friend to live in Jo's loft... where he sleeps on the couch. Two surgical residents can more than afford renting an apartment. Freaking freeloaders. 

I live in the Seattle area....and the answer is NO! The rental market is brutal. We have Amabots, Googlers, Microsofties, and more willing to pay a lot of money.

I really hate that Tom is gone. They wasted a great actor and character. This coming season, we all better be dealing with the tragic loss of the Vets. I never really hated Teddy, as I would have bedded Tom at every opportunity, but this relationship with Owen....gah. Owen, as a character has no place to go.

Other than Tom, I loved the sweetness of Jo and Carina. It was the eyes of both actresses that showed the sadness and gratefulness both characters felt. I liked Delucca, too. I think Carina shouldn't marry that hot mess over at the fire station, though. She's will box in my Italian butterfly. She will clip those fluttery wings and smother all the joy.

• Love 4

This show sucks so bad like pls end it. I can’t quit watching because I’ve been watching this long lol. What is the point anymore. All the characters basically suck at this point.

I hate glasses and the blonde chick. He is the worst and his bf is a horrible actor.

• Love 3
On 5/21/2021 at 1:36 PM, izabella said:

Now that Koracik is leaving, too, if they sent Amelia and Link to Boston, I'd rather watch THAT show....Jackson and April, Amelia and Link, plus Koracik and anyone-but-Teddy saving the world through the Avery Foundation....sounds better than the lackluster blah that is left at Grey's.

Hmm...possible spinoff series "Grey's Boston"?  Although since most likely Meredith wouldn't be involved, probably a different name.  Probably Avery-something.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, transitfan said:

Hmm...possible spinoff series "Grey's Boston"?  Although since most likely Meredith wouldn't be involved, probably a different name.  Probably Avery-something.

Avery's Anatomy? And could that maybe include a shirtless shot of him every week?

• LOL 7
On 5/21/2021 at 7:54 PM, kurtz said:

Speaking of Tom, that was the worst write-off since Callie decided to up and leave Seattle for NYC. Truly bad dialogue. I believe Tom Koracick wants to do better but to say “I want to be an ally” to a POC is just lame writing. 

That was awful but I thought the part before it was really good. The part where he talks about all the roommates he had who were Black or people of color and they died. That was effective especially because we saw first hand when his roommate died and Koracick asked to know the man's name so he could pray for him. I have sooooo many issues with the writing for Koracick but that felt right. It felt true to the character who lost a child and grieves that loss every day.

The "I want to be an ally" stuff was just heavy handed and rushed writing but Greg Germann acted the hell out of it.

• Love 8

I’ve just realized how much I’m going to miss Koracick. Germann really is a superb actor. Glad he will be where April is, I loved their interaction in season 14.

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, MarylandGirl said:

Avery's Anatomy? And could that maybe include a shirtless shot of him every week?

They shouldn't tie the name to any character. Then they could go on for 35 seasons not worrying if an actor stays on, lol.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the Jackson/Mere stuff. I wish this episode had solely focused on Jackson leaving. I always wanted them to get Jackson/Mere together and thought it would have been interesting. They do have a lot in common and to bond over. 

I hated the Teddy/Owen crap. Write them off along with Glasses and Carina. Hey, just because you're engaged doesn't mean you get to stay immediately. It's still a long arduous process. 

• Love 2

Really liked Meredith's reunion with her children. Also liked Bailey and Richard's realization that Jackson was their new boss. 

Whatever happened to the last crop of interns - Casey and the others? I was reminded of them by the flashbacks. 

Speaking of the flashbacks, I really liked seeing the familiar -- and younger -- faces. 

• Love 4
On 5/21/2021 at 12:34 PM, marceline said:

Sometimes I wonder what it must be like for a Human Resources professional to watch this show. People quitting jobs then coming back the next day or quitting with no notice. (Don't these doctors have contracts?). People getting privileges instantaneously. It must be maddening. 

Unfortunately, it works like this in the real world, too.  At a prior job, my boss gave her notice when she came in at 9am that it would be her last day.  When someone questioned her, she said, "I thought less than 24 hours notice was how it worked."  No one could do anything about it, she was leaving no matter what, so it is what it is.

These doctors probably don't have contracts.  When you're an at-will employee, it's at the will of both the employer and the employee.  When you've already got something else lined up or have the reputation that these world-class surgeons supposedly have, you can do whatever you want and not hurt your career one bit.  

• Useful 2

I don't get it. Is there some big Owen and Teddy fanbase out there that I don't know about? I mean, I know this forum maybe isn't representative of the viewership in general, but the most enthusiasm I've ever seen posted here for Owen and Teddy is "I don't mind them."  Why does this show keep pushing them like they're big fan favorites? Are they and it's just that nobody who posts here likes them? Including me? 

I agree that showing clips of early seasons and some of the original characters only reminds us how much better the show used to be.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get it. Is there some big Owen and Teddy fanbase out there that I don't know about? I mean, I know this forum maybe isn't representative of the viewership in general, but the most enthusiasm I've ever seen posted here for Owen and Teddy is "I don't mind them."  Why does this show keep pushing them like they're big fan favorites? Are they and it's just that nobody who posts here likes them? Including me? 

I agree that showing clips of early seasons and some of the original characters only reminds us how much better the show used to be.

Good question! Maybe that fanbase exists in the Dark Web (or whatever it's called, the underground internet that's not indexed by search engines).

And clips of earlier seasons just make me sad/nostalgic.

• Love 2

I get it. Maggie has a living adoptive father she grew up with, loves and is close to. He is her dad.

But she was an only child. Developing a sisterly relationship with Meredith works because there isn't any sense of 'choosing' or 'replacement'.

• Love 8

I thought that Koracik's "Let me be worthy of being saved" made the episode. (Going to Owen and Teddy in bed then ruined it.)

I did not know about the American government sending body bags to the Navaho nation when they asked for PPE and Covid tests. I can't imagine what it must feel like to put down like that over and over. (The same thing happened to the Wasagamack First Nation and God's River First Nation in Manitoba in  2009 along with hand sanitizers and face masks to fight a flu epidemic.)

I love the idea of burying the placenta so that Rosie would always know where her home is. We need to incorporate more from Native culture into our practices.

The first French I ever learned was noblesse oblige because my parents wanted to emphasize to me how important it is that those to whom much is given have an obligation to give back to others. So Meredith not being willing to take 10 minutes to give the team who worked so hard to save her life a chance to celebrate seems very selfish to me.

Meredith's "I want what I want" attitude is a huge contrast to Koracik's "Let me be worthy of being saved".

I am so down for Avery's Anatomy with Kemper and Koracik in Boston.

• Love 5

So Jackson talks about his dad teaching him about the type of man he doesn’t want to be...selfish.    Then he walks out with no notice.   

I feel like he missed the point of talking with his father. His father knew that the life of being an Avery wasn't for him, but didn't know how else to be a person from the name and moving out and away from overbearing Catherine (which Richard should have done many times) was probably the best thing he could have done for Jackson (except for the leaving him with Catherine part, but he turned out alright anyway). I don't think he checked out as much as found himself, which is what Jackson is now doing. Again why does he have to be in Boston for the Foundation work? 

Sign me up. But no April - couldn't stand her. But for Avery's Anatomy, YES.

That honor goes to Addison Forbes Montgomery: double board certified OB/GYN, fetal and neonatal surgeon. 

She is the bomb and needs to come back and bring some sanity to Grey + Sloan!

This show is famous for having grown ass people with good jobs crashing at each others' places and I've never understood that. 

Interns/Residents don't make a lot of money, plus a lot of that is going toward paying back loans for med school. 

• Love 1
On 5/22/2021 at 1:40 AM, LittlePeas3 said:

I don't remember Erica Hahn's departure, but I so disliked the character, that if I did rewatch those episodes, I would probably skip it anyway.  She just grated on me.

Her last episode was helping the guy who was suffering because Izzy stole his heart for Denny. She found out about Izzy stealing the other guys heart for Denny, and like a normal person flipped the hell out about how insane it was for Izzy to even have her medical licence let alone working at the scene of the grime. She forced Izzy to do right to the guy instead of pouting and saying it's too hard for her and then she was going to basically report Izzy and the hospital about what happened. 

Callie was like but then we'll lose our accreditation, and Erica said maybe you should crap like this happens and nothing happens out of it. Izzy stole an organ.  Callie was like you weren't there you don't know, and Erica shut that crap down and basically chewed her out and then said that she couldn't be "sorta gay." and walked to her car and was never seen again. We got Arizona an episode or two later. 

In re: Owen + Teddy
Whatever, I'm done. I don't care. 

In re: Jackson
bye. I liked himin the beginning but i stopped liking him ages ago. as someone else pointed out i think he missed the point of his dad leaving (I too thought he was going to like die/be hit by an ambulance or something)

In re: Tom
I'll miss you so much

In re: Schmitt
yeah. i get what you were doing and that was sweet but you should go with her, not invite someone to some else's house. 

i'm like 2 episodes behind but i can't binge greys. it just makes me angry lol i need breaks. 

• Love 3
(edited)

In re: Tom
I'll miss you so much

Spoiler

He'll be back occasionally next season now that he's a board member!

I'm watching Jesse Williams in "The Cabin In The Woods" and he has a nice abs shot.

Edited by Kristi800
  • Love 2