Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: What's the Use?

• Start Topic

(edited)

I am shocked that the therapist turned out to be a super villian in a prison, shocked I tell you! /s

Is it just me or was there a ton of sexual tension between Walter and George in that one scene where they were arguing?

Edited by Zonk

I find that this world doesn't seem to make sense. There doesn't appear to be any super heroes before whatever happens in the 1930's. Now the superheroes have long lives living over a 100 years and their children are also superheroes.

Many of the new super heroes are the children of the first super heroes, why are they all around the same age?

Why did all the super heroes wait till 20 to 30 years ago to start having kids?

There are "tons" of new super heroes and super villains are they all related to the original super heroes? 

Maybe there are answers in the remaining episodes.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I find that this world doesn't seem to make sense. There doesn't appear to be any super heroes before whatever happens in the 1930's. Now the superheroes have long lives living over a 100 years and their children are also superheroes.

Many of the new super heroes are the children of the first super heroes, why are they all around the same age?

There are "tons" of new super heroes and super villains are they all related to the original super heroes? 

I think a few of your questions are based on assumptions that may not be true.

We can tell from Sheldon, Walt and Grace that at least some of the supers in this universe age slowly/ Those three were presumably somewhere between 20-35 in 1930, meaning they are probably about 110-125 now. They look like they are in their 60s at most in the case of Walt, and Sheldon and Grace look about the age of the actors playing them (40-50) 

So the next generation of heroes could just appear to be the same youthful age, but in fact be born anywhere from 1940 to 2000ish. I don't think anything has firmly established the ages of any of them except maybe the pop culture references a few episodes back. 

Hutch's friend referenced Phil Collins leaving Genesis, a reference that the ladies didn't get and so he had to translate it to Beyonce and Destiny's Child. Hutch then referred to 60s girl groups. The implication I took from that is that Hutch is a child of the 60s, while his friends are significantly younger.

I have no familiarity with the graphic novel and am unspoiled. But my guess is that some spaceship from Jupiter probably crashed a little before the 1930 stuff we are seeing, that it will contain tech to power up the first generation of heroes, that George or one of the other first generation of heroes will adapt the tech to power up other people  and that also there will be natural-born heroes.

I will also throw out speculation that Walt is not a good guy, based mostly on genre savvy. It would be too difficult to not have the sibling rivalry potential and the brains vs. brawn potential not materialize. 

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

will also throw out speculation that Walt is not a good guy, based mostly on genre savvy. It would be too difficult to not have the sibling rivalry potential and the brains vs. brawn potential not materialize. 

I agree.  He is played by a very good British character actor. That's code for being the villain for me.

Well, my favorite is George. I also like Hutch.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I don't like Hutch.  He had potential until he started sexing up Chloe, who I cant stand.  Sure, have sex with the girl you found overdosing on the floor.  🙄 My interest in him took a nosedive. Plus, he has stupid hair. 

Do not care about Chloe and her "woe is me" attitude. 

The whole story revolving around Sheldon's quest makes no sense to me. Why him?  Why is he getting these visions?  

Really, the only characters I like so far are Grace, Brandon, and George...but in his case it might be my love for Wyatt in Timeless bleeding through.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I think a few of your questions are based on assumptions that may not be true.

We can tell from Sheldon, Walt and Grace that at least some of the supers in this universe age slowly/ Those three were presumably somewhere between 20-35 in 1930, meaning they are probably about 110-125 now. They look like they are in their 60s at most in the case of Walt, and Sheldon and Grace look about the age of the actors playing them (40-50) 

So the next generation of heroes could just appear to be the same youthful age, but in fact be born anywhere from 1940 to 2000ish. I don't think anything has firmly established the ages of any of them except maybe the pop culture references a few episodes back. 

In the first episode Sheldon calls Chloe a 20 year old and there have been multiple references to the younger heroes growing up together. 

4 hours ago, Dani said:

In the first episode Sheldon calls Chloe a 20 year old and there have been multiple references to the younger heroes growing up together. 

Fair enough that some of his assumptions are true and some of mine might not be.

5 hours ago, rove4 said:

I don't like Hutch.  He had potential until he started sexing up Chloe, who I cant stand.  Sure, have sex with the girl you found overdosing on the floor.  🙄 My interest in him took a nosedive. Plus, he has stupid hair. 

I mean, Chloe is pretty hot so I can forgive him for thinking with lil Hutch. Also, at least he had the decency to get her clean and sober first, and he seems to actually care for/about her, which is more than you can say about most people who are unrelated to her. His hair is, indeed, stupid.

• Love 2

My Mom wanted to watch this on Mother's Day so we made it up to Episode 5 during our first binge. 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:24 PM, AnimeMania said:

I think likely after they first got their powers they were busy 1. figuring out what was going on, 2. saving the world- and then given their slower aging process they probably realized after a few decades that they were aging slowly, but were not immortal or injury proof, and they might have wanted to have kids to see if their powers were genetic, or they may have gotten evidence their powers were and decided to have children to continue on the fight. 

From what we have seen so far I assume something happened in the 1930s to give people powers- not just our protagonists got powers, but probably evil people too (hence "super villains") and it could be that powers started popping up in the population - kind of like X-men, where children realize they have their powers at the start of puberty. People with powers who are interested in being superhero apply to join the Union, but im sure there are some that are leading "regular lives" with "regular jobs" and have no interest in fighting or protecting people etc.

• Love 1

Oh, the difference better editing might have made. The moral quandary of doing the right thing even if it cost you AND no one else cares would have been interesting. Sheld on's vision powered quest? Not so much. 

• Love 1