Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E17: Real Life Starts Now (Decision Day)

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Meowwww said:

So I guess I’m trashy

Not at all!!  Sorry you took my comments personally!

My remarks about Clara's hair, were, strictly speaking, directed to her appearance on national (international) TV for the finale of a popular show.  I see many products (saw a new one at Costco the other day) that allow a person to "touch up" their roots themselves in between hair appointments so they make the best appearance possible.  

I have seen several times during the season when Clara's hair color looked lovely so I wondered why she wouldn't have put in the extra effort to look her best on DD.

Personally, I was born a towhead platinum blonde and vowed that I was born that way and would remain that way.  Of course, real life intervened and I was stuck in a continual "touch-up" cycle at the salon for many years.  Keeping up the color (as my natural hair color changed to gray) proved too much so I decided to wear a wig.  For me, it was the perfect solution!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

It's not. It's only important to Haley that she convince everyone that she worked so, so hard to make the marriage work. She gave it her all and learned so much about herself. She's very deep, you know; not at all superficial. Clearly it was Jake's fault the marriage didn't work. He didn't even learn anything about himself!  

Sorry, Haley, we're on to you. You took one look at Jake, his slogan t-shirts and 80's house and were turned off. I mean, I get it. Jake wouldn't be my cup of tea either. They just weren't right for each other and no amount of "work" was going to change that. I don't understand why she can't admit that instead of acting like she worked hard at the relationship. We all know she didn't work at it at all.

She came off very low class and bitter .. he came off a gentlemen.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, pdlinda said:

The whole reason I pay the staggering fee for cable is so I can DVR everything and not wind up in an insane asylum having to endure those banks of commercials.

As a matter of fact for last night's freak show snooze fest (I had already seen the spoiler threads that accurately stated what the final results would be) I FF'd through half the show to avoid any more nausea than I felt when I did catch the fake smiles and champagne associated with the "yes" replies from those who chose to prolong the agony to get more TV exposure on Kevin Fraser's follow-up.

I pay for DVR too.  Do you watch the next day or after the show?  The damn commercials are getting to about twelve a clip.  I always watch the next day too, and fast forward Chris & Paige.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Vanderboom said:

I had a lot of the same questions. Here are my thoughts! 😉

1. I really want the answer to be "no." In fact, I'd prefer if Chris asked for the car back and Mercedes hopped into the car, revved the engine, and sped away while laughing like a supervillain and flipping Chris off. I have my suspicions about her pregnancy.

2. They each and separately wore ill-filling clothes intentionally. He was going for the innocent-church-kid-on-Easter-Sunday look. She was hoping that looking sexy would remind Chris of what he's missing. They were both unsuccessful.

3. Yes, but she was secretly disappointed that Eric didn't propose with a bottle of Jack Daniels.

4. I hope it's the cutting room film of Paige being sensible and strong. I really hope that she's been given the Doormat Edit and producers filmed her saying something like "I refuse to believe that Chris is a good person" that got edited to "I . . . believe Chris is a good person."

5. She's hoping that there was something redemptive about their terrible marriage. I lost patience with both of them a long time ago. In typical Haley fashion, she ONLY wants Jake to have learned something from her and not the other way around because she's still into scoring points against him in this invisible relationship competition that exists in her mind.

Yes, Paige was trying to go for a "woman scorned....look at what you no longer get" look that turned very quickly to a "if  you want it you can have it" look.

Sadly, I do not think the doormat thing is a show edit.

I actually think that for once THE SHOW ACTUALLY DID THE RIGHT THING, because I think most of the 6 hours was spent by the show trying to convince Paige NOT to get back together with the jackass and stick with the divorce.

In real life, I have seen fairly intelligent women bend over backwards to justify their relationship with "ain't shit" men.

Women who should realize that they deserve and can do much better.

I think we would all have more respect for Hailey if she would just come out and say what she does not like about Jake.

I do not want to pile on Jake, who is only 2nd to Paige in having the worst time this season, but I think he needs the closure.

However, Hailey is just not going to say something to the effect of, " I found the sex incredibly disappointing and he smells weird."

This is just not going to happen.

Edited to add...

Ryan's haircut reminds me of this:

image.png.12b1b4802c8a4469c18b30e4aaea962c.png

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 15
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, qtpye said:

I think we would all have more respect for Hailey if she would just come out and say what she does not like about Jake.

I do not want to pile on Jake, who is only 2nd to Paige in having the worst time this season, but I think he needs the closure.

However, Hailey is just not going to say something to the effect of, " I found the sex incredibly disappointing and he smells weird."

This is just not going to happen.

While I do think that Haley should stop tap dancing around the issue, I think she's afraid of being pilloried if she spoke the truth.  She could say something vague like "I don't think we're a good match because we want different things in life."   However, I believe no matter what she tells him or how gently she tried to let him down, he'd still be angry, vindictive (not holding the door for her) and butt hurt.  This isn't his first trip down rejection road.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

So did Hayley.  Forever a bridesmaid indeed.

Who sleeps with a guy once, twice or thrice when they are not attracted to them?  Was Haley horny or what?  It was so nice of her to send him the wrong signals.  A real sweetheart.

• Love 4
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

While I do think that Haley should stop tap dancing around the issue, I think she's afraid of being pilloried if she spoke the truth.  She could say something vague like "I don't think we're a good match because we want different things in life."   However, I believe no matter what she tells him or how gently she tried to let him down, he'd still be angry, vindictive (not holding the door for her) and butt hurt.  This isn't his first trip down rejection road.

Yup, as I said before, it is the same reasoning that leads all the grooms to find their bride "beautiful" on their wedding day, even though we know that is not always true.

As a female, I really do not understand why a tall financially stable man with a nice physique in his thirties, who is totally ready to settle down, seems to have such trouble in the dating game.

From what I have been told (again as a female) the world should really be his oyster.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, qtpye said:

As a female, I really do not understand why a tall financially stable man with a nice physique in his thirties, who is totally ready to settle down, seems to have such trouble in the dating game.

I completely concur, adding that with his niche audience of women who love the 80's (groups all over the internet) he has a treasure trove of available women who share his passion so what's holding him up in making a connection????

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Yup, as I said before, it is the same reasoning that leads all the grooms to find their bride "beautiful" on their wedding day, even though we know that is not always true.

From what I have been told (again as a female) the world should really be his oyster.

He did say he wasn’t much into dating all those years.  He was busy with work and fixing up his house.  Some guys go to bars to find girls, dating sites, etc.  I don’t think he was doing all those things.  Maybe he just wasn’t looking.  Now, he got an opportunity for someone who would find him a partner, experts no less, so it was easy.  Maybe he would have hit it off with Clara.  Even if she didn’t like him, she wasn’t the type to be mean.  She would have been honest with him.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I completely concur, adding that with his niche audience of women who love the 80's (groups all over the internet) he has a treasure trove of available women who share his passion so what's holding him up in making a connection????

He will now.  I read he was this seasons favorite.  Someone would love to slip into a house with a pool.  They’ll have to love steak tho, on the bbq.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I think some of them agreed to stay married because it looks good for tv and they don’t want to admit that they can’t make it work. It’s easier to break up without cameras on you. I do not believe for a hot minute that a lot of these couples will stay together. 

I think they stay married to see what it's like without the cameras and experts heckling them - they can always get divorced later.  I think the 3 who stayed together liked each other enough to give it a chance without the stress of filming and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

I pay for DVR too.  Do you watch the next day or after the show?  The damn commercials are getting to about twelve a clip.  I always watch the next day too, and fast forward Chris & Paige.

If it's on from 8-10 I start at 9 😁

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, princelina said:

I think they stay married to see what it's like without the cameras and experts heckling them - they can always get divorced later.  I think the 3 who stayed together liked each other enough to give it a chance without the stress of filming and see what happens.

Oh, I get it.  You just keep fast forwarding. Great idea, thanks.😀

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 1:41 PM, Empress1 said:

The only couple I could see NOT being together at the reunion, depending on when the reunion is, is Erik and Virginia, but I would guess they are. (They should have broken up last night but I wasn't surprised that they stayed together - I was on the "they shouldn't stay together, but they will" train about them.) I do think Erik and Virginia will have a tumultuous relationship with a lot of arguing no matter how long they stay together.

I could see both Erik and Virginia and Briana and Vincent splitting up a year or two down the line when they start planning for the future they want and realize they want different things, like the Miami couple Lily and her husband whose name I can't remember. They got to the "where is the relationship going?" point and realized they wanted different things (though that was obvious during the show), and broke up, as they should have - doesn't mean they didn't care for each other, just means they weren't a good fit. 

I'm not sure Clara will follow through on her "if he hasn't said he loves me and/or we're not having sex after six months, I'm out" rule, though IMO she should. And in her shoes, I would need A LOT of information about the fact that apparently he's gone years without sex when he's been in relationships. She's said this is "by far" her healthiest relationship, so I think she'll cling to it. And Ryan just seems really passive, so I could see him "for sure, for sure"-ing for literally years, just going with the flow. I could see them lasting a while, though I do think if they have kids, the church thing could be a deal-breaker.

I said last night that Jake clearly couldn't wait to leave the group get-together. I don't think he enjoyed much about the experience.

I could see the show giving them extra money to stay a few weeks more not to look like they can’t pick partners for shit.  Experts my ass.

Edited by Hangin Out
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Who sleeps with a guy once, twice or thrice when they are not attracted to them?  Was Haley horny or what?  It was so nice of her to send him the wrong signals.  A real sweetheart.

Hales was bridal horny...you can see her grinning on the couch in the group meet before the sex...she wanted Jake...

And she was drunk...the power of alcohol...booze goggles...

And the seductive atmosphere of a honeymoon in Cancun...

The second sexy time was to double check...and it was a nope.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, princelina said:

same

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Hangin Out said:

I could see the show giving them extra money to stay a few weeks more not to look like they can’t pick partners for shit.  Experts my ass.

This is the the main reason I think Chris had a sudden appreciation for his bride on decision day. I think they do get a bonus because I have seen couples you know are going to break up in 5 minutes say yes on decision day.

Luckily, neither Haley or Jake are desperate for money or z-level fame.

• Love 4
(edited)

No one has commented on this, but I had to laugh when Pastor Cal said that Ryan is alpha.  Bish please...he doesn't have an ounce of alpha in his body.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:14 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

When Paige met with Chris and Mercedes she asked how far along she was and Mercedes answered maybe 3 weeks or something, not the usual answer for a pregnant women, most know exactly how far along they are, she was even too early to see the gyno, he is a liar who lies.

Yes...I don't recall what the specific question and answer were, but it was that exact exchange that convinced me the whole thing was fake.

22 hours ago, Vanderboom said:

5. She's hoping that there was something redemptive about their terrible marriage. I lost patience with both of them a long time ago. In typical Haley fashion, she ONLY wants Jake to have learned something from her and not the other way around because she's still into scoring points against him in this invisible relationship competition that exists in her mind.

Uhh, she specifically said that she had learned a lot from the experience...that's why she was surprised/dismayed that Jake said he hadn't learned anything.

20 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

But this was before she became unattracted to him.  You can tell from watching when they met at the altar that she looked pleased and they had a nice kiss that didn't seem to bother her at all.  They had sex in the first few days, and at some point after that, she stopped being attracted to him.  Not quite sure where the 'twice or thrice' came from...IIRC she only mentioned something about having had sex that one time.

20 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

He did say he wasn’t much into dating all those years.  He was busy with work and fixing up his house.  Some guys go to bars to find girls, dating sites, etc.  I don’t think he was doing all those things.  Maybe he just wasn’t looking.  

I can't swear to it, but I thought he said he had been dating a decent bit but a pattern developed as to how the girls reacted or what happened, but I can't recall what he said that was.

20 hours ago, qtpye said:

OK, so I'll take a shot at it.  I might have to look again but I actually think that he isn't tall, and I can't stand his physique.  Yes he appears to have a nice chest, but unfortunately to me he just looks chunky in his clothes (especially his legs) and the look is not flattering.  He often has a sneering look on his face, he has a slightly off sense of humor that he seems to take a great deal of pride in, and his voice is oddly flat and affectless.  We have seen him treat Haley like sh*t when he gets angry (regardless of what she may or may not have done that he was reacting to), and if, as some people have surmised, his answer at the final get-together when he said he hadn't learned anything was some sort of gotcha or burn to Haley, then it was petty.  

ETA: And if he genuinely didn't learn anything about himself during this process, then, wow, talk about closed-minded, a vastly inflated sense of self, stunted for future growth, and a death knell for future relationships.

Edited by LuvMyShows
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Has anyone watched the spinoff show called Married at First Sight: Honeymoon Island?  It is an 8 episode series, 45 minutes per episode and kind of a Dollar Tree store version of ABC's Bachelor in Paradise and has just the right amount of trashiness and drama.  The full series is on Youtube through the Lifetime channel and the 45 minute format makes it so much more watchable for my short attention span whereas I have to watch standard MAFS pre-recorded in chunks over three dinners on the couch.  I think I prefer the premise of MAFS: Honeymoon Island more than MAFS because they're singles and get to date around within the group to find a match- seems a little more organic.  

• Useful 3
(edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 6:52 PM, ECM1231 said:

I think I am in the minority but I really liked Briana's dress, hair and makeup.

Bri's dress scared me...😟

Edited by lu1535
Damn autocorrect.
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

But this was before she became unattracted to him.  You can tell from watching when they met at the altar that she looked pleased and they had a nice kiss that didn't seem to bother her at all.  They had sex in the first few days, and at some point after that, she stopped being attracted to him.  Not quite sure where the 'twice or thrice' came from...IIRC she only mentioned something about having had sex that one time.

I agree - and also, people have sex with people they're not attracted to all the time. Sex isn't always this magical thing you only do with people you're in love with; sometimes it's something you do when you're bored or you're horny and the person before you is your only option. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

OK, so I'll take a shot at it.  I might have to look again but I actually think that he isn't tall, and I can't stand his physique.  Yes he appears to have a nice chest, but unfortunately to me he just looks chunky in his clothes (especially his legs) and the look is not flattering.  He often has a sneering look on his face, he has a slightly off sense of humor that he seems to take a great deal of pride in, and his voice is oddly flat and affectless.  We have seen him treat Haley like sh*t when he gets angry (regardless of what she may or may not have done that he was reacting to), and if, as some people have surmised, his answer at the final get-together when he said he hadn't learned anything was some sort of gotcha or burn to Haley, then it was petty.  

That perfectly describes him, both physically and personality-wise.   

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I agree - and also, people have sex with people they're not attracted to all the time. Sex isn't always this magical thing you only do with people you're in love with; sometimes it's something you do when you're bored or you're horny and the person before you is your only option. 

Well, that’s it then.  I remember at one time Haley did say she loses interest fast, and it was a problem to her with other men in the past.  Maybe she just isn’t the type to be married to one person forever.  She loses interest fast.  I’ll bet her girlfriends know exactly how she is with men Asa few of them had made remarks about Her at the wedding.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, pdlinda said:

Jake may not be attracted to the women who are attracted to him. Or the women who want to have a long term relationship with him. Also, there are plenty of guys out there who share Jake's positive attributes who have better dispositions. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I actually feel that Paige was a good match for Chris . She was the only person they could have picked that would not only accept his BS, but willfully partake in it . Girl is just dumb as rocks , I’m sorry . It’s not even like love blinded her . He’s been like this from day one ! 

Ryan may have stayed married , but he “ fur shur” won’t be giving Clara any nookie anytime soon . I’d be shocked if they had sex by the reunion . 

• Love 6

These people really need to heal their inner child/past hurts. Seriously. It's not cute to declare who you are & you're not changing when those traits are unattractive & offensive to your partner. Gotta be willing & open to change and compromise. Briana coulda dropped that part. She kinda cleaned it up at the end.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Hip-to-be-Square said:

Has anyone watched the spinoff show called Married at First Sight: Honeymoon Island?  It is an 8 episode series, 45 minutes per episode and kind of a Dollar Tree store version of ABC's Bachelor in Paradise and has just the right amount of trashiness and drama.  The full series is on Youtube through the Lifetime channel and the 45 minute format makes it so much more watchable for my short attention span whereas I have to watch standard MAFS pre-recorded in chunks over three dinners on the couch.  I think I prefer the premise of MAFS: Honeymoon Island more than MAFS because they're singles and get to date around within the group to find a match- seems a little more organic.  

No but thanks!  I think I will enjoy that.  MAFS tried it one season where they were going to let the applicants choose - but then they got them all together, made them couple up in like one day, and sent the rest home; the ones who coupled got to stay but they had to stay with the person they picked on day 1!  So it evolved into this same old crap.  I'd like to see them be able to move around amongst the options 😄

• Love 2

Hypochris said Paige gets agitated quickly & shuts down & she struggled with protecting him & his feelings. That's RICH!!!!!! The only rich he'll ever be! 😂😂😂😂 The manipulation he attempted was disgusting!!! Poor Paige!! Kind to a fault! Following that fool to comfort him, knowing he doesn't deserve it. Glad she didn't fall for the mind f*ck & knew it was more of the same. Stupid of her to believe their "problem" was out of the way with the "miscarriage." Good on Pastor Cal for pointing out they were in trouble BEFORE the "pregnancy." I don't believe Hypochris for a second. He always says the right things when he wants. They're just empty words.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

Well, that’s it then.  I remember at one time Haley did say she loses interest fast, and it was a problem to her with other men in the past.  Maybe she just isn’t the type to be married to one person forever.  She loses interest fast.  I’ll bet her girlfriends know exactly how she is with men Asa few of them had made remarks about Her at the wedding.

Everyone in Haley’s life, including her, her friends, and her parents, said over the course of the show that she loses interest fast and that she’s hard to get to know. Her parents said something like “she’s a hard nut to crack” and Haley talked about writing guys off for small things like being an inch shorter than her preferred height. One of her friends was like “And?” when Haley complained about Jake’s clothes and asked what HALEY was prepared to do to make the relationship work. She was called out fairly often over the course of the show - her friends all said some variation of “what effort are you putting in?” and Virginia told her to quit mocking Jake.

She and Jake were absolutely a bad match but the “nope, I’m done!” thing she did with Jake is, by all accounts, her MO, and it’s clearly not serving her long-term.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
19 hours ago, qtpye said:

Luckily, neither Haley or Jake are desperate for money or z-level fame.

IMO, the "money vultures" (they can definitely can use the cash) are :  Vinny, Chris, VA.

The rest (Erik, Brianna, Clara, Paige, Ryan) have steady, reliable and continuing income (except in Paige's case she has demonstrated a lack of emotional stability and judgment to possibly jeopardize her accounting practice).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, princelina said:

No but thanks!  I think I will enjoy that.  MAFS tried it one season where they were going to let the applicants choose - but then they got them all together, made them couple up in like one day, and sent the rest home; the ones who coupled got to stay but they had to stay with the person they picked on day 1!  So it evolved into this same old crap.  I'd like to see them be able to move around amongst the options 😄

I recommended this spin off show too soon to everyone before watching it more, my apologies 🤣- I watched 2 episodes and it is might be the season you're referring to!  I'm not going to continue the season as It is the same old crap where they have to pick a spouse in 1 day and the "rejects" of the season are left looking sad and lugging their TJ Max luggage sets to an airport van.  They're all desperate and grasping at connections to have in common.  One guy even was shocked and ecstatic that he just found out his "future wife" likes tacos too- like it is some serendipitous connection  😑.  I agree, they should be allowed to mingle rather than putting their eggs in one basket. 

• LOL 1

One of the things I noticed (in the not necessarily true and possibly production fucking with us sense) was a blip of the reunion episode with POSchris and DUMBASSHITpaige not only sitting together BUT with the rat bastard stating they were seeing a counselor or in couples therapy or some other such disgusting statement to that effect. If that is correct, there is only one possible explanation - POSchris is so confident in his slimey-ness that he decided to give BOTH production AND the viewing public of MAFS a great big FUCK YOU by demonstrating he is the big swinging dick and has once again succeeded in sucking DUMBASSHITpaige into his rapist-religious philosophy that everything goes from god to the man/anything with a penis/ and then to the woman who is expected to submit/obey/debase herself eternally. I have, in my previous work, met with teen girls who had been sucked into sexual abuse/rape by their 'christian' evangelical pastors, and then discarded and left with all the guilt because of their eternally insignificant/sinful/disgusting status as female. I can not begin to fully express the hatred I have for those pigs. The only reason I blame POSchris more than DUMBASSHITpaige is that I have met women/girls who have been indoctrinated in the same manner. Sadly, even if DUMBASSHITpaige has gone along with what POSchris wants. she DOES have the intelligence to have seen through it AND by the time she chooses to listen to the good angel on her shoulder, that fucking pig will have taken all her money and all her property and all she will get is OUT.

• Love 2
(edited)
20 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Edited by Hangin Out
On 5/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, pdlinda said:

Not at all!!  Sorry you took my comments personally!

My remarks about Clara's hair, were, strictly speaking, directed to her appearance on national (international) TV for the finale of a popular show.  I see many products (saw a new one at Costco the other day) that allow a person to "touch up" their roots themselves in between hair appointments so they make the best appearance possible.  

I have seen several times during the season when Clara's hair color looked lovely so I wondered why she wouldn't have put in the extra effort to look her best on DD.

Personally, I was born a towhead platinum blonde and vowed that I was born that way and would remain that way.  Of course, real life intervened and I was stuck in a continual "touch-up" cycle at the salon for many years.  Keeping up the color (as my natural hair color changed to gray) proved too much so I decided to wear a wig.  For me, it was the perfect solution!

Why go to a salon?  I hate sitting in a salon just to get a cut.  I’m a light blonde since I was 13.  I use “Nice n Easy” #100.  I put it on my hair, wait 30 minutes, then rinse in the shower.  The color is a gorgeous shiny light blonde.  Been using it forever.  I find sitting in a salon boring and a waste of time.  Unless you like it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/14/2021 at 3:53 PM, qtpye said:

I think they do get a bonus because I have seen couples you know are going to break up in 5 minutes say yes on decision day.

I am bored this Saturday afternoon so just for kicks and giggles I looked up the show on Wikipedia to see how often this happens and got sucked down a rabbit hole.

By my calculations:

There have been 44 total matches across all 12 seasons. 15 couples right now are still married. 34% overall success rate, although I would also include Jason & Cortney as a success, and probably Tom & Lilian even though both eventually divorced. They stayed together past the post-show expiration date. Including them, the success rate is 38.6%.

Saying yes on D-Day but splitting by the reunion or shortly thereafter seems to be most common between Season 2-7. Out of the 18 couples from those seasons, 9 of those couples said yes but split shortly after that (50%!). From season 8 until now only one other couple has done this (Katie & Derrick), so it has (so far) become less common more recently. 

What is more interesting to me though is if you just look at season 8-12, the success rate has improved. There have been 23 couples since then, and 11 are still together (47.8% success rate). Considering there are only 15 couples still together and 11 came from these recent seasons says how crappy the matches from seasons 2-7 actually were.

Of course, the flip is that while “the experts” have gotten more right recently, they have also at the same time cast some of the most wretched humans to ever grace this show in these current seasons: Luke, Matt, Zach, Brandon, Katie, Michael, Christina and Chris all were from Season 8 forward, and there is no justification for them picking any of these turds.

I have my doubts about Erik and Virginia going the distance, but I feel ok about the other two. I guess time will tell? 😋

Sorry if I bored anyone with these stats. I find it fascinating!

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

I am bored this Saturday afternoon so just for kicks and giggles I looked up the show on Wikipedia to see how often this happens and got sucked down a rabbit hole.

By my calculations:

There have been 44 total matches across all 12 seasons. 15 couples right now are still married. 34% overall success rate, although I would also include Jason & Cortney as a success, and probably Tom & Lilian even though both eventually divorced. They stayed together past the post-show expiration date. Including them, the success rate is 38.6%.

Saying yes on D-Day but splitting by the reunion or shortly thereafter seems to be most common between Season 2-7. Out of the 18 couples from those seasons, 9 of those couples said yes but split shortly after that (50%!). From season 8 until now only one other couple has done this (Katie & Derrick), so it has (so far) become less common more recently. 

What is more interesting to me though is if you just look at season 8-12, the success rate has improved. There have been 23 couples since then, and 11 are still together (47.8% success rate). Considering there are only 15 couples still together and 11 came from these recent seasons says how crappy the matches from seasons 2-7 actually were.

Of course, the flip is that while “the experts” have gotten more right recently, they have also at the same time cast some of the most wretched humans to ever grace this show in these current seasons: Luke, Matt, Zach, Brandon, Katie, Michael, Christina and Chris all were from Season 8 forward, and there is no justification for them picking any of these turds.

I have my doubts about Erik and Virginia going the distance, but I feel ok about the other two. I guess time will tell? 😋

My guess is that the people who stay together actually want to stay together and are not doing it for the money because If they get divorced at the end of the show , the show pays for it . If they get divorced after the show , I think they have to pay for it themselves . 
Though I do think couples cam being a thing now will entice some more people to stick it out , as it’s probably a decent paycheck and can get them more Instagram money . Prior to couples cam , married at first sight was the end of the couples’ tv journey . 

• Love 5

can't swear to it, but I thought he said he had been dating a decent bit but a pattern developed as to how the girls reacted or what happened, but I can't recall what he said that was.

$5 says Mr. steak ‘n’ eggs is bad in bed. And apparently nobody’s telling him so ... no improvement.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 5/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, Ilovepie said:

I have to say I understand what PC means - she had so many opportunities to kick him to the curb but she either runs after him (like last night) or accepts him back or supports whatever bullshit is flying out his mouth as apologies for bad behavior, or talks him down in with her religiosity and baby whispers. She has enabled him to continue to pull his stunts and spew his lies.

She had so many opportunities even going back to the day after the wedding when he said he wasn't attracted AFTER HAVING SEX WITH HER! to just be like "nope, I didn't sign up for this. I want out and I don't want any contact with him." But instead she has given him chance after chance after chance. In any other situation, we would be Team Paige, but her own behavior has been so frustrating I don't like either one now. By Decision Day, she is at least partly to blame by continuing to give him a platform.

• Love 1
Just now, antfitz said:
3 minutes ago, antfitz said:
On 5/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, Ilovepie said:

I have to say I understand what PC means - she had so many opportunities to kick him to the curb but she either runs after him (like last night) or accepts him back or supports whatever bullshit is flying out his mouth as apologies for bad behavior, or talks him down in with her religiosity and baby whispers. She has enabled him to continue to pull his stunts and spew his lies.

She had so many opportunities even going back to the day after the wedding when he said he wasn't attracted AFTER HAVING SEX WITH HER! to just be like "nope, I didn't sign up for this. I want out and I don't want any contact with him." But instead she has given him chance after chance after chance. In any other situation, we would be Team Paige, but her own behavior has been so frustrating I don't like either one now. By Decision Day, she is at least partly to blame by continuing to give him a platform.

(edited)
On 5/13/2021 at 7:51 PM, qtpye said:

I can't stand Chris because hes a sociopath I think. A narcissistic sociopath. They matched him with someone who's easily manipulated and that is a shame.

Unlike most people on here I hated Jake and think he's a doofus.  And I like Hailey.  She didn't buy his bullship. If there are women that go after Jake after the show, then they are delusional. 

I think Briana will be tired of being put on the spot about her being bossy. He is way too passive aggressive.  Shouldn't change her personality for him.

I don't see Clara and Ryan lasting the long haul. She wants sex and he doesn't give a to her.  And the  long talks or discussions can get boring after a time. To me each year this show proves why you shouldn't get married at 1st sight.

Eric and Virginia won't last because she will continue to have her drunken nites and sleep overs at some guy's house.

Edited by antfitz
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

By my calculations:

2 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

My guess is that the people who stay together actually want to stay together and are not doing it for the money because If they get divorced at the end of the show , the show pays for it . If they get divorced after the show , I think they have to pay for it themselves . 
Though I do think couples cam being a thing now will entice some more people to stick it out , as it’s probably a decent paycheck and can get them more Instagram money . Prior to couples cam , married at first sight was the end of the couples’ tv journey . 

Yes, the show has been on enough that there are more opportunities for money now when compared to the earlier seasons.

I also think that a big change is that the couples now hang out together. In the first seasons, all the couples were kind of their own world with no intermingling, at least on camera.

I think this has increased competitiveness to stay together in certain types of people.  For instance, I knew Erik was full of shit in Vegas when he was claiming that everything was perfect and he saw no red flags.

I actually think Erik would probably have loved to keep up the "perfect" façade in front of the cameras but Virginia is a bit too straightforward (and drunk) for that to happen.

Erik is very much about appearance and Virginia is not.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Jax7917 said:

I feel like if couples cam was just a cash grab we would see more of these couples splitting up shortly thereafter, but the fact that mostly what we see on that show is people settling in to married life and starting families make me feel they are legit. 
I absolutely do think it’s a way for some of these people to parlay this quasi-fame into a social media presence they can monetize though because I see Jamie, Shawniece, Elizabeth, Danielle, Ashley, and Greg and Deonna hawking stuff constantly. AJ promotes his business. Plus Keith and Kristine are doing commercials during the show! The only ones who seem to just be here to record their lives are Austin and Jessica.
As I said before, I think Erik and Virginia’s staying power is questionable, but maybe they’ll surprise me like Jamie and Elizabeth, and we’ll see if Gin Gin quits her mediocre job to start an Instagram business after this. I have no doubt Vinny will use this platform for exposure to help grow his business. Is it wrong that I like Clara and Ryan all the more for declining to do Couples Cam? 

• Love 3

Wow. 2 "proposals"! A record! I think their relationships should've been in better standing before they proposed, but eh. It was thoughtful of Vincent to propose with her favorite dessert. It's tricky tho. Could she say yes to the cheesecake & no to marriage? 😅😂 Plus. Just asking on bended knee is rather uneventful, there should be more than that.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2021 at 6:21 PM, pdlinda said:

IMO, he looks like a "cartoon character" from a 60's-era comic strip.

What is he thinking?  What is the message he's trying to convey to his audience?  That "look" took a lot of planning and execution. 

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't be caught dead being seen with a person in Ryan's "costume" because all their "attention-seeking" ways would severely grate on my nerves.

Please, someone, explain his "get-up."

Ryan is an awkward, uncool geek desperately trying to be one of the "cool kids" and not knowing how to achieve it.  So he throws everything he sees on others against the wall at the same time and comes up with an almost grotesque caricature of every hipster look out there embodied in one person.  He really has no clue, he's just copying other people he thinks are cool and hoping that this somehow makes him also look like a really cool person.  Meanwhile it's just the opposite.  The fact that Clara doesn't see this is concerning.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, Hip-to-be-Square said:

I wouldn't be caught dead with Ryan either! His looks are attention seeking and a hodgepodge of art school hipster, teenage skateboarder and barbershop quartet singer and his haircut looks like a blend of a Brazilian bikini wax and cockatoo.  Ryan doesn't seem to know who he really is, that's why he grasps at all of these costumed looks and talks in bizarre Tony Robbins inspirational nonsense circles.  Ryan talks like he's a college student desperately trying to pad the word count on an essay. 

Yeah, all that too!  It does come down to him not knowing who he really is and copying what he thinks looks cool on others in order to try to look like he knows who he is.  But even though Clara might be fooled, we aren't.

On 5/14/2021 at 3:44 AM, StatisticalOutlier said:

She needs two mirrors--one to see how she looks from the back, so maybe she'd do something about the bulges from her bra back there.

Yeah, Clara could definitely benefit from one of those "back smoothing bras".

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah, Clara could definitely benefit from one of those "back smoothing bras".

That could be concerning to Ryan who is so very in shape!

Clara likes sex and donuts and will surely blossom out in middle age.

Ryan not so much.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/14/2021 at 4:31 PM, Hangin Out said:

He did say he wasn’t much into dating all those years.  He was busy with work and fixing up his house.  Some guys go to bars to find girls, dating sites, etc.  I don’t think he was doing all those things.  Maybe he just wasn’t looking.  Now, he got an opportunity for someone who would find him a partner, experts no less, so it was easy.  Maybe he would have hit it off with Clara.  Even if she didn’t like him, she wasn’t the type to be mean.  She would have been honest with him.

I agree that I don't think Jake was looking for a long time, but work is only an excuse for the real reason he didn't look.  I think Jake is one of those guys that got burned a few times young, probably because he had zero insight into women and made a lot of mistakes, and then as a result of that adopted a self defeatist attitude about relationships.  He told himself that women didn't like him and so subconsciously set up the situation as a self fulfilling prophecy.  By not looking he could hold onto that as the reason he didn't find a relationship instead of addressing the real issues that stood in the way of finding a long term relationship, which might involve actually taking some responsibility for why they didn't work out.  

When I read this over I couldn't help but think of Raj on "Big Bang Theory".  He would get set up on dates and proceed to make every inappropriate gesture, gaff and mistake in the book and then cry about why he couldn't find a relationship.  At least Raj was somewhat aware of his own compulsion to self sabotage and put women off, though.  Jake seems to be too well defended against taking any responsibility for it.  The looks on his face tell me he has a complex about women and Haley not being into him was only more confirmation of his conviction that women are not fair to him and won't give him a chance and that he has no responsibility in this situation.  He digs his heels in instead of looking within.

I have known men like Jake.  Eventually they have found someone but often get divorced anyway.  They continue to sabotage themselves even when they do find a somewhat successful relationship.  They might pick people that aren't really that into them or anything to ensure it doesn't ever really work out so they can continue to avoid the real reasons they can't make a success out of a relationship.

Haley was by far no prize and too picky but a guy with this amount of baggage is likely to engage in all of those inappropriate gaffs with a woman in private to self-sabotage the relationship before it has a chance of succeeding.  The fact that Haley was not open about what exactly put her off tells me it might have been the way he acted about sex in general or what he did specifically in bed that was really off putting.  I can remember men from my past that did some amazingly awful things like kiss horribly or touch me in a completely clumsy way or any number of things.  It's really hard to come back from some of those things and they can be a complete turnoff on a very visceral level.  

I do agree that Haley didn't handle the situation well or know herself well enough to be gracious about it.  She is another story and it's not a good one either.  I think she had sex with him too soon and neither of them was ready for it.  I think having sex too soon was probably the worst thing someone could do with a person with a self defeating complex because most certainly they would feel so awkward and unprepared for the situation that it would bring out their compulsion to self sabotage with gaffs and inappropriate gestures.  It definitely would have been too much too soon and intimidating but Jake, being a guy, didn't want to say no but he was not really ready for sex with Haley any more than she was ready for sex with him.  Both of them were to blame for that, though.  Haley was making big mistakes herself with him so both of them are to blame for this situation.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I agree that I don't think Jake was looking for a long time, but work is only an excuse for the real reason he didn't look.  I think Jake is one of those guys that got burned a few times young, probably because he had zero insight into women and made a lot of mistakes, and then as a result of that adopted a self defeatist attitude about relationships.  He told himself that women didn't like him and so subconsciously set up the situation as a self fulfilling prophecy.  By not looking he could hold onto that as the reason he didn't find a relationship instead of addressing the real issues that stood in the way of finding a long term relationship, which might involve actually taking some responsibility for why they didn't work out.  

When I read this over I couldn't help but think of Raj on "Big Bang Theory".  He would get set up on dates and proceed to make every inappropriate gesture, gaff and mistake in the book and then cry about why he couldn't find a relationship.  At least Raj was somewhat aware of his own compulsion to self sabotage and put women off, though.  Jake seems to be too well defended against taking any responsibility for it.  The looks on his face tell me he has a complex about women and Haley not being into him was only more confirmation of his conviction that women are not fair to him and won't give him a chance and that he has no responsibility in this situation.  He digs his heels in instead of looking within.

I have known men like Jake.  Eventually they have found someone but often get divorced anyway.  They continue to sabotage themselves even when they do find a somewhat successful relationship.  They might pick people that aren't really that into them or anything to ensure it doesn't ever really work out so they can continue to avoid the real reasons they can't make a success out of a relationship.

Haley was by far no prize and too picky but a guy with this amount of baggage is likely to engage in all of those inappropriate gaffs with a woman in private to self-sabotage the relationship before it has a chance of succeeding.  The fact that Haley was not open about what exactly put her off tells me it might have been the way he acted about sex in general or what he did specifically in bed that was really off putting.  I can remember men from my past that did some amazingly awful things like kiss horribly or touch me in a completely clumsy way or any number of things.  It's really hard to come back from some of those things and they can be a complete turnoff on a very visceral level.  

I do agree that Haley didn't handle the situation well or know herself well enough to be gracious about it.  She is another story and it's not a good one either.  I think she had sex with him too soon and neither of them was ready for it.  I think having sex too soon was probably the worst thing someone could do with a person with a self defeating complex because most certainly they would feel so awkward and unprepared for the situation that it would bring out their compulsion to self sabotage with gaffs and inappropriate gestures.  It definitely would have been too much too soon and intimidating but Jake, being a guy, didn't want to say no but he was not really ready for sex with Haley any more than she was ready for sex with him.  Both of them were to blame for that, though.  Haley was making big mistakes herself with him so both of them are to blame for this situation.

Perhaps Jake needs to take lessons from Ryan on how to say no.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 5/14/2021 at 2:43 PM, Hangin Out said:

She said they had sex once.  It was on their honeymoon, and she was drunk.  He hasn't been shown contradicting this account.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:16 PM, LuvMyShows said:

[Jake] often has a sneering look on his face,

What is that?  Is it the shape of his mouth?  Clara's mouth goes down at the sides but it doesn't read as a sneer to me, but Jake is one big sneer to me.

• Love 3