Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
ElectricBoogaloo

S01.E17: Transplanticipation

Recommended Posts

Quote

Gina and Drew plan their futures now that their surgery is finally scheduled.

Original air date: 5/6/21

Share this post


Link to post

Aw, Gina's growing up! I liked her conversation with Gideon. And their musical number. It actually made me smile and I wasn't in a smiling mood tonight.

Yay, Cannoli! 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Man, I couldn't help but super-cringe every time Drew was on screen with a woman, especially touching them. Just EWWWW!!!! Wondering if the actresses had to keep him at arm's length during rehearsals. Such a creep. Nah, just spoils everything. I'm done after the final ep for closure. I was on the bubble with this anyway, and the whole Middleditch thing just pushed it over the edge. Can't rewatch Silicon Valley anymore, either, since there's two creeps on that one!

Sad for the rest of the cast. Maybe Drew can move to Switzerland and Gina can housesit and do some sort of charity work with the others. Was happy to see Cannoli back again! Yay.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I see in the teaser Drew either changes his mind and goes ahead with the bumped up surgery date, or they do a time jump to when they get back. Or maybe they have the surgery in Switzerland? But then Drew AND Gina would have to stay there for a year. I was rooting for Drew to go ahead with the bumped up date and go visit her after…but the not being able to travel to another country for a year makes that impossible. 
 

I hope this show is renewed…I hope his allegations do not cost it a Season 2. Just write him out or recast but don’t take it out on the whole show because of Thomas’ screwup.

Edited by nelroy78
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Drew is the least likable character anyway. Let him get his transplant and leave the show, but keep everyone else and add a character or two to fill in the cast.

I wonder where... now I can't remember her name, but the woman who's usually at dialysis and has been absent two episodes in a row now... I wonder where she is. I hope the actress is OK.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Drew is the least likable character anyway. Let him get his transplant and leave the show, but keep everyone else and add a character or two to fill in the cast.

I agree. All of the other characters are much more likable, fun, relatable, etc. If they wrote Drew out, I would still love a show about the rest of the characters. Drew can stay in Switzerland with Adriana and then we can have the adventures of Gina (maybe going to nursing school?) and the rest of the dialysis gang. She can either stay at Drew's house under the guise of housesitting for him or move in with Gideon.

I am always here for Tony Award winning Annaleigh Ashford singing, no matter how briefly! Her scenes with Gideon were nice. They're both learning who they want to be, which is something that not all adults take the time to reassess. Her realization that she didn't want to party like she used to really showed a lot of growth, as did her realization that she has a desire to help people.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

If they go that route, they can also make it more of an ensemble show and develop the other characters more. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

But then Drew AND Gina would have to stay there for a year. I was rooting for Drew to go ahead with the bumped up date and go visit her after…but the not being able to travel to another country for a year makes that impossible. 

I think Gina would only have to stay a few weeks after to recover.  that would actually be a way to write Drew out.  Gina and Drew go to Switzerland to get the transplant.  He stays a year (with Adriana, who miraculously beats her stage 4 cancer, because I'm not up for depressing deaths nowadays) ,and Gina comes back.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I wonder where... now I can't remember her name, but the woman who's usually at dialysis and has been absent two episodes in a row now... I wonder where she is. I hope the actress is OK.

According to IMDB, she was making a pilot for another show. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

 we can have the adventures of Gina (maybe going to nursing school?) 

That's where I thought they were going when Gina was talking about wanting to help people. Codependency and a career in nursing go hand in hand (I'm a good example of that). Gina in nursing school would be hilarious, and I can see her trying to use Drew, Linda and Cannoli as practice patients. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yay, Cannoli is back <3 Oh how I missed his beautiful, giant fluffiness.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Cannoli, our true hero, returns! 

I have not been sure how the show would keeping going after Drew got the surgery, if the transplant was a success that would basically end the shows premise, so focusing on the other characters would actually work pretty well. If they focus on lots of people getting sick they don't have to drag just one illness out for ages. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

if the transplant was a success that would basically end the show's premise, 

The premise of the show is: people who see the glass half full versus people who see the glass half empty (B positive). 

There are a number of directions they can take the characters in order to keep this premise going.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I am always here for Tony Award winning Annaleigh Ashford

I'd never heard of her before this show. She has a very performative way of speaking. I'm not sure if it's the actress or just an affectation she's using for this character.

I noticed that Kether Donahue has lost a lot of weight. She's kind of being wasted on this show.

I wasn't clear on whether Drew and Gina were just babysitting Cannoli again or if he's come back to stay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'd never heard of her before this show. She has a very performative way of speaking. I'm not sure if it's the actress or just an affectation she's using for this character..

That's her character. She was also in an episode of Nurse Jackie, and she does have a normal voice.

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I wasn't clear on whether Drew and Gina were just babysitting Cannoli again or if he's come back to stay.

Drew asked if there was a way they could repay Dr. Pete for pulling strings for Adriana. That is when Gina told him Cannoli was back. I took that to mean they were dogsitting again without getting the $300 a week paycheck. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'd never heard of her before this show. She has a very performative way of speaking. I'm not sure if it's the actress or just an affectation she's using for this character..

That's her character. She was also in an episode of Nurse Jackie, and she does have a normal voice.

She was also excellent in Masters of Sex and had a small role in Smash, the NBC musical about Broadway which was where I first saw her on TV.  I also love her!  I had tickets in 2020 to see her in concert 😍 but thanks to the pandemic the concert was canceled 😞

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'd never heard of her before this show. She has a very performative way of speaking. I'm not sure if it's the actress or just an affectation she's using for this character.

It's definitely just for this character. I've seen her in several other projects and B Positive is the only one where she's spoken this way.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

It's a weird acting choice. I don't know anyone who speaks like that IRL. 

To be fair, no one really speaks like Moira Rose either!

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

But Moira Rose was supposed to come across ridiculous and affected. Gina is supposed to be an everyday person who's all free and easy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
47 minutes ago, possibilities said:

But Moira Rose was supposed to come across ridiculous and affected. Gina is supposed to be an everyday person who's all free and easy.

Might not have been her choice. She may have tried several different voices and this is the one the director liked best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/6/2021 at 7:01 PM, ams1001 said:

Aw, Gina's growing up! I liked her conversation with Gideon. And their musical number. It actually made me smile and I wasn't in a smiling mood tonight.

Yay, Cannoli! 

I liked their musical number, but I couldn't figure out why they put that scene in the show.  I thought maybe they were going to have their drinks get switched, Gina drinks alcohol, relapses, and then the transplant is put on hold - which would be a ridiculous plot on many levels. Fortunately, it appears they just wanted to show of some of the cast's musical talents.  

And ... Yay Cannoli!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, needschocolate said:

Fortunately, it appears they just wanted to show of some of the cast's musical talents.

I suspect that's really all it was. I'm not complaining. 🙂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I thought maybe they were going to have their drinks get switched, Gina drinks alcohol, relapses, and then the transplant is put on hold 

Yeah - I was worried about that too.

Ratings for this show look pretty decent. I don't know if the recent Thomas Middleditch scandal will affect the decision to renew or cancel, but I can't imagine a scenario where they just rebuild the show around Gina. I think it's more likely they'd just give the actress another sitcom. The show also has a strong lead-in from Mom which will be gone next season.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think they should rebuild it around Gina. I think it would make more sense to rebuild it around the other people in the dialysis group. They could keep Gina around, but making her the lead would totally change the focus of the show away from the transplant issue. 

Even if there weren't the specific issues around Middleditch, at some point if he has a successful transplant, the show would need to pivot a bit, I'd think. Drew's just not that interesting, and the show itself isn't that interesting, without the medical hook.

Edited by possibilities
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/6/2021 at 10:35 PM, Ms Lark said:

I was on the bubble with this anyway, and the whole Middleditch thing just pushed it over the edge. Can't rewatch Silicon Valley anymore, either, since there's two creeps on that one!

I didn't know about his days on Silicon Valley, but I read an interview with him where he basically says that he told his wife (I think they're divorced now) that they needed to have an open marriage, because he was such a highly sexual person, one woman wasn't enough for him. It made me not want to watch this show after that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/9/2021 at 2:47 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I didn't know about his days on Silicon Valley, but I read an interview with him where he basically says that he told his wife (I think they're divorced now) that they needed to have an open marriage, because he was such a highly sexual person, one woman wasn't enough for him. It made me not want to watch this show after that.

That 2019 Playboy interview is when the tide began to turn but it didn't really seem to affect his career. I thought the recent allegations would kill this show immediately but the network has still made no comment about it at all. I'm guessing they wanted to burn off the rest of the episodes and then quietly not renew it.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo · Reason: missing some words
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Wow I just went down that rabbit hole and I am not sure I can continue to watch this show.  I say we kill Drew in the surgery and Gina gets a huge settlement, buys the house, goes to school for a nursing degree, Gideon moves in and/or Eli

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Wow I just went down that rabbit hole and I am not sure I can continue to watch this show.  I say we kill Drew in the surgery and Gina gets a huge settlement, buys the house, goes to school for a nursing degree, Gideon moves in and/or Eli

And one of the others gets the kidney!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

If TPTB are reading this, renew the show and ditch Drew! It wouldn't be the first time a show got rid of one of its main characters and focused on the rest of the cast. Valerie Harper's show (Valerie) lasted four more seasons after she left and the Roseanne reboot seems to be doing fine without Roseanne.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size