Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E12: Teresa's Mystery Man

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I've had several similar experiences.  When my son had to go to the ER, my BIL called his friend (who is a surgeon), and asked him to meet us there.  A few months ago, I went to the ER myself, and a friend called a mutual friend of ours who is a physician, and he showed up and was very helpful.  I didn't find it at all unbelievable that David would go.  He has his own patients, but he's not busy 24/7.  Clearly he was available, and he went.  That didn't seem at all out of the ordinary to me.

Under normal circumstances, I agree this would happen.

It's a bit hard to gauge the timing of filming. I am thinking it was end of July through maybe beginning of November 2020. During that time in the tri-state area - if you had to go to the ER - you were situated somewhere on the hospital grounds in a tented area. Hospitals were at 90% capacity, there were no beds, Hospitals didn't have enough PPE's.

It was extremely difficult to get tested for Covid (even with a doctors note). 80% of the tests were being used to test medical staff daily. Gorga wouldn't have been wheeled in and given a bed unless he was going to have emergency surgery. If he was wheeled in, he would have been on that gurney for hours, situated in a hallway waiting.

At that time, nobody was allowed to "visit" or "stay with" family members at hospitals or nursing homes. If they don't allow immediate family, they certainly weren't going to allow a "film crew"

The vaccine didn't get approved until December - and when it first came out it was only available to doctors, nurses, staff in hospitals, and the EMTs. Nursing home patients and staff were next followed by first responders.

Like another poster mentioned, this was a re-enactment - no way if it were happening real time Joe Gorga wouldn't have been howling like he was in labor

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/11/2021 at 3:00 AM, DebbieM4 said:

Agreed!  And who decides what's age-appropriate and what's not?  

I agree with this and the other poster, in a way as well. I think for me, since my daughter is nearly 19, I look ridiculous in her fashion nova get ups. I think I would feel differently if it was just my son or she was younger, if that makes sense.  But rest assured, Mama Mujer Decente still sports some cleavage now and then lol. I do a fashion poeta thing on ista daily and my boobs come out and "play" occasionally. I swear I never said outloud, "my boobs want to come out and play." I am not Vicki. 

• LOL 4

I’m watching this episode again.  I feel so bad for Jennifer’s elderly parents.  I can understand the arranged marriages of the days before, but I feel so bad for her Father sitting there shaking and so unhappy.  At this point, at their age, they should try to be together.  It’s too late to change anything I know, but it is breaking my heart looking at him sitting there degected.  They are too old for this change.

10 hours ago, Hangin Out said:

I’m watching this episode again.  I feel so bad for Jennifer’s elderly parents.  I can understand the arranged marriages of the days before, but I feel so bad for her Father sitting there shaking and so unhappy.  At this point, at their age, they should try to be together.  It’s too late to change anything I know, but it is breaking my heart looking at him sitting there degected.  They are too old for this change.

On the other hand, her mother had a lifetime of unhappiness. He's old now and looks pathetic and sad, but her mother was not only forced into an arranged marriage, it was done at age 16 to a man a decade older. He controlled everything. She had no say in her life. She loves her children but her youth was stolen from her. Her entire life was spent catering to an emotionally abusive man and her children. She moved to another country because her husband made that decision- a world away. Now in her 60s, she found her strength and voice but she’s depressed. Life has passed her by and, look, she’s too old to really start over. It’s terribly sad.

• Love 2
On 5/6/2021 at 11:52 PM, Kdawg82 said:

On the positive...I like Milania now that she's grown up more. She kind of puts a smile on my face. Her deep raspy voice & unique sense of self.  I did like how in the end, Teresa listened to her daughter & wore what she picked out.  

I totally agree! Milania looked so pretty and grown up when she was talking to Teresa at the end of the episode. I was pleasantly surprised. 

Am I the only one who thinks Jennifer's father moved to this country to make a better life for his family?  I don't understand why everyone is down on him for doing it just like millions of immigrants have done in the past and continue to do today.

• Love 5

I think the real issue between Jennifer and her mother is that her mother is embarrassed that Jennifer put her parents' relationship on blast to the public. Jenn would have had no storyline otherwise.  Her mother has done a lot for her storyline in past seasons with her cooking and the brother coming out and the arranged marriage  etc but I think this season was a teaparty too far. I hope the mom is living happily with or near the sister and sees her grandchildren regularly. 

I'm a little confused about Jen's family dynamics and arranged marriages.

Did her brother find a wife through an arranged marriage?  And wasn't Jennifer and Bill, an arranged marriage?

Mom didn't have courage to speak out against it?  And at the same time encouraged it?  Even though she experienced misery due to an arranged marriage?

I just feel like I'm missing big chunks of stuff with Jennifer's mom and dad.

(edited)
13 hours ago, dosodog said:

I'm a little confused about Jen's family dynamics and arranged marriages.

Did her brother find a wife through an arranged marriage?  And wasn't Jennifer and Bill, an arranged marriage?

Mom didn't have courage to speak out against it?  And at the same time encouraged it?  Even though she experienced misery due to an arranged marriage?

I just feel like I'm missing big chunks of stuff with Jennifer's mom and dad.

IIRC, Jennifer made it sound as if, for her and Bill, there was a meeting/courtship period, during which they could see if they were compatible. She made it sound as if they had a choice as to whether or not to marry. From what her mother told, it didn't sound like she was allowed a choice or even an opinion on the matter.

I wonder if they felt they were being progressive or more lenient/less strict by offering their children the chance to opt-out.

Edited by SweetieDarling
clarification
  • Love 2
On 5/13/2021 at 4:54 AM, MsMalin said:

Am I the only one who thinks Jennifer's father moved to this country to make a better life for his family?  I don't understand why everyone is down on him for doing it just like millions of immigrants have done in the past and continue to do today.

That’s not really the issue. Her mother was 16 years old when she married him; she didn’t want to, she had to. Her mom is looking back at her life, realizing that she had no ownership of her entire life- she’s mourning what could have been and is angry and depressed.  She may even be happy to be in America in the long run but it wasn’t a decision that was made jointly. She had no choice but to give up everything that she knew and move to the other side of the world. It’s really so sad.

• Love 4