Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Knotty Knotty

Message added by TexasGal,

Just a reminder, any current news about cast members are spoilers in the episode threads.  You can discuss in the Media thread or feel free to start one for the cast member.  Thanks!

• Start Topic

The interior pulls off a murder mystery dinner; an anchor tangle threatens to hold up the guests' departure; Gary and Alli openly express their affections; Jean-Luc and Gary argue about deck work; Dani and Alli take matters into their own hands.

Airdate 05.03.2021

Hey Bravo - no one except your producers wants to see a murder mystery dinner.  Thanks.  Please make it stop!!

• LOL 8
  • Love 7

I have grown to love the Below Deck franchise, but wow…is this season  lackluster. One of the things that keeps me coming back to a show is if I can relate, or like something about the characters etc. I can’t find a redeeming quality in the whole bunch this season. A bunch of mean, dopey, dysfunctional ingrates. If I knew them when I was their age, I would have looked elsewhere for friends. Pretty pathetic that next weeks dock crash is a highlight. That’s going to be one pricey repair. Danish owner Kim Peterson probably blew a gasket when he found out. 😱

• Love 4
4 hours ago, aqusdealer said:

I can’t find a redeeming quality in the whole bunch this season. A bunch of mean, dopey, dysfunctional ingrates. If I knew them when I was their age, I would have looked elsewhere for friends.

I think the only way I can watch the rest of this season is by fast forwarding through the times the crew is off charter. They're bad enough when they're working, but their drunken antics are too painful to watch.

The best part of the episode was when the guests were walking down from the tower and they asked if Daisy and Gary were dating. The look that Gary gave directly into the camera was hysterical.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5
(edited)
6 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have never done a "murder mystery game." But are they usually that stupid? There was really no mystery, no point, no cleverness at all!

Admittedly, I've only done one at a work event.  But yes, it was just as stupid. More so even, because the cast fancied themselves stage actors/actresses & really hammed it up. 

They are all so obnoxious save for Glen & Colin (maybe).  Yet, I'm still watching because sailing yacht, ocean, drama, etc. 

Edited to add that we've still not seen a vegetable served for lunch or dinner.  Hummus (chickpeas) were on the breakfast menu but seriously, does Natasha have something against leafy greens??

Edited by snarts
I forgot!
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Jsage said:

The best part of the episode

I thought the dolphins were totally cool. These guests seemed very nice, and really seemed to appreciate the trip and the fun, unlike those oddballs with the weird family dynamics. 

• Love 18

Why is JL not helping drag all that stuff down from the castle?

So they carted all that stuff up and down just for "drinks" up there?  Oy!

The MM thing was weird.  Good call Glenn.

The dinner food looked so tiny on those huge plates.  Guests seemed happy so whatever.  Breakfast looked good with no eggs harmed.

Yea!  Dolphins!!  

JL is finally useful with that anchor chain snag.

Is Gary going to use this kerfuffle to get rid of Sydnye?  I thought she was gonna crack at the dinner out.  Fantastic setting.  Take guests there instead of the castle.  Alli and Gary really should be more discreet.  I guess they don't realize how close to the edge Syd is.

These kids really can't hold their liquor.  All that drama back on the boat was ridiculous.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, PaperTree said:

Is Gary going to use this kerfuffle to get rid of Sydnye?  I thought she was gonna crack at the dinner out.  Fantastic setting.  Take guests there instead of the castle.  Alli and Gary really should be more discreet.  I guess they don't realize how close to the edge Syd is.

Agreed. Sydney certainly has gone over the top with her reaction to her ONS with Gary, but the way he and Alli were behaving last night was bordering on cruel. Especially towards the end of the episode when Sydney, Natasha and Colin were sitting off by themselves. Suddenly here comes Gary and Alli to join the group and when they do they start a makeout session. Not just a side hug, but full on - two feet from Sydney. 

And then Alli kept pressing Sydney to say what she's feeling, etc. when clearly Sydney was too upset to feel she could do so. Alli knows at that point how Sydney is feeling. There was no need to force her to say it and humiliate herself further. Alli has talked a good game about not wanting to hurt Sydney but she sure wasn't acting like that last night.

None of this is to say that Sydney hasn't been acting like a jealous loon, and they are on a boat so not that many places to go. But if Alli is meant to be the "nicer, cool chick"? I didn't see it last night. Oh and I was kind of rooting for Sydney in those moments where she would walk in and need to grab something at the bar when Gary and Alli were canoodling. "Oops just have to get a Leinenkugel, don't mind me, go about your business...". Made me laugh.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, dleighg said:

I have never done a "murder mystery game." But are they usually that stupid? There was really no mystery, no point, no cleverness at all!

I played it once. Everybody was overly self-conscious, of course other than the girl who wore a prom dress. Lol. I think I would enjoy it if it were a group of people I was more comfortable with.  Prom Dress even dug up a tiara and I think a magic wand - she was playing a princess. Not sure why she thought royalty had magic wands. She was also the killer. 

6 hours ago, Jsage said:

I think the only way I can watch the rest of this season is by fast forwarding through the times the crew is off charter. They're bad enough when they're working, but their drunken antics are too painful to watch.

The best part of the episode was when the guests were walking down from the tower and they asked if Daisy and Gary were dating. The look that Gary gave directly into the camera was hysterical.

I do not find Gary attractive in any way, but he looked pretty cute in that one moment. I think he had a hat on, so that helped. I’ve taken to pronouncing his name like Daisy - it rhymes with car. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, dleighg said:

Obviously MMV, but my friends and I do them and we love them. In the beginning of the pandemic, we were doing them virtually as a way to see each other instead of just having a happy hour (had plenty of those too!). I have dressed as a journalist, Cleopatra, Amelia Earhart, and a librarian (who surprise! was an undercover cop so I got to whip out my Ray Bans for a quick costume change). But I will only do them with certain friends who get into it and I would never do it on national tv-we are not that amusing. I'm mostly sad I've never been the murderer. I've been A murderer, but not the one we were looking for.

I was really annoyed with JL's mood swing about the teak. I totally get not wanting people to make a mess when you have to clean it up, but it isn't Dani's fault so stop being so rude to her. Maybe tell the crew who was spilling stuff to clean it up then. I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I currently like Gary more than JL (this will change  5 minutes into the next episode).

I continue to like Dani and Daisy and I loved Daisy's little "I take nothing personally.... just kidding, I take literally everything personally." I thought it was cute.

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, AnnieBananie said:

God, this season is boring. I struggle to stay awake each episode, yet I keep watching. Why? Why? Why do I do this to myself?

I kept falling asleep... the scenes I did see everyone was so drunk, none of the crew are carrying this shitshow, it's one of the worst seasons IMO.

• Love 4

and back to the dolphins-- the camera work is pretty good on this show, showing the dolphins following the boat long enough for the guests to get there to ooh and ahh over it (though I could REALLY deal with less time and close-ups of the "heart-to-heart" discussions between drunk people about whether they care that one drunk person is kissing another drunk person, that third drunk person had a one-night-stand with). Next week the preview shows the boat crashing into the dock, and they apparently had a drone or otherwise high-up camera capturing the whole thing.

• Love 3
(edited)

Does Tarzan gross anyone else out? The guy is just a disgusting human being. These women are so desperate to get laid, it’s sad. STDs are running amok on this yacht.  

Edited by TheCouchPotato
  • Love 5

Main thing I remember is Dani's ass.

The whole Allie, Gary and Sydney thing is so cringey that I tune out.

Gary is 45 so must be at least 10 years older than Allie?  Probably more like 15 years.

• Love 2

I was confused about Gary's age when he said that he kept in touch with his dad until he was 13, but really didn't care because his dad hadn't been in his life for 20-something years--I added them together--but I think what he meant by the 20-whatever it was was that was when he left the family/Gary's mom, and the little bit of "staying in touch" didn't count as "being in his life."    So I think he's in his 30s rather than in his 40s.   Tried to look it up but can't find it, and that's all the Googling I care to do about Gary!

Glenn's deadpan delivery to JL "So if you hand gets caught you go down with it and you have about a minute of air to figure it out..." cracked me up for some reason.  

Daisy continues to rise in my esteem, this time for going to bed before all the middle school-esque shenanigans.  Actually, middle schoolers have more of an excuse for being lovesick, immature, and horny all the time, and most of them deal with it better.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, aghst said:

I thought he said he stopped seeing his dad when he was 13 and was out of touch for 32 years.

Then said father is trying to reconnect now.

I couldn't remember the actual numbers, but I thought the phrasing was a little more ambiguous, something like his dad "wasn't in his life," which could have meant if, say, dad left when he was 4 (for example), and Gary saw him until 13 but considered that an empty gesture, not his dad "being involved," the 32 could be added to the 4, not the 13.  But I have deleted it, so I can't check his exact phrasing.  Who knows, maybe he's 45, but I just don't think so somehow.  

I guess the guests they have lined up to be on the trips have been pretty boring when filming, so we get penalized with all this 16 yr old sex activity....  YAWN!  I watch this on Amazon Prime so I can fast forward through almost all of the Gary and his girls scenes.  The few I saw it looked like he was chasing Sydney around the boat and positioning himself and Allie right in her face to smooch and coo at each other. He keeps glancing at Sydney to get her reaction.  Gary is just so thrilled he actually has two women fighting over him.  I'm sure this would never happen in real life since there would be no cameras or confined quarters.  And a world of other better looking guys to pick from.    

• Love 8

These episodes & cast get stranger & stranger.  Sydney is sinking further & further into delusion & desperation.  & over who? Gary?! Sorry but Natasha made the most sense & behaved the way I'd expect for this crew. "Nobody worth my body" is RIGHT!

• Love 11

Dani WAS my fave but she went down in points for her behavior with JL. Calling him names and chastising him for not being a wild drunk guy. And then her and Ally and their little hook up. Seemed like it was trying to get the boys all worked up and it was successful. Lord, why can't they just hang out, drink and talk like normal peeps???  Natasha and Daisy and Colin and Glenn are the closest we get to normal.

• Love 13

Are the crew required to get stupidly drunk every single night? You'd think a few more (ahem Gary, Sydney, Alli, JL, Dani, yikes that's nearly everyone) would realise that alcohol isn't making things more fun. In fact it's really bring everything down, between the stupid things they do/say and the hangovers the next day. (ha that rhymes!)

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Grrarrggh said:

Are the crew required to get stupidly drunk every single night? You'd think a few more (ahem Gary, Sydney, Alli, JL, Dani, yikes that's neArearly everyone) would realise that alcohol isn't making things more fun. In fact it's really bring everything down, between the stupid things they do/say and the hangovers the next day. (ha that rhymes!)

Yes they are.

it’s a reality show.  It’s a cheap and easy way to create “good TV” which is dunk people making themselves look foolish on TV.

Also it’s free booze and a good way for guys like Gary to get lucky.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Sydney is clearly nuts but for Gary and Alli to suck face all over each other at the dinner table, directly across from her, is pretty rude.  Actually, it's pretty rude in general but especially since Alli claims that she's being so considerate towards Sydney.  If she were truly considerate, none of that would be happening in group settings.  Honestly, if they are so into each other, wait the whole two and a half or three weeks that's left in the charter season and then do whatever you want.  (I think we all know that it's very probable as soon as Gary gets into Alli's pants, he'll lose interest.) 

As far as Gary's age, I think he's probably early thirties.  I took his statements to mean that his father left him and his mother very early on and just wasn't much of a presence, with Gary basically giving up on the relationship around 13.  

I'm always amazed at how the crew acts as though they've been working for six months solid after a two-day charter and therefore they need to do their best to destroy their livers completely on their night out.  

• Love 7

Sorry, but this is the worst installment in the Below Deck franchise.  Ever.  Bar none.  I'll chalk it up to lack of casting options in the age of COVID, because this crew is utterly unappealing in every possible way:  low-rent, unattractive, foul drunks.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

Murder Mysteries are a ton of fun with the right people, your former high school theater kids. The wrong people and the game will fall flat. 

I'm responding to this show completely differently than most people here. I'm loving it more each week. I am yelling at the screen and laughing out loud. Gary and Colin have risen in my opinion so very, very much from my first impression. I think Gary and Daisy (my favorite week after week) are solid leaders to this franchise and I think it has staying power if they return. 

Natasha was a crashing bore on deck explaining why she respects her body and can't give it away to just anyone. Colin looked like he wanted to chew off his arm and escape somehow. I think it was on the Watch What Crappens podcast that noticed that Natasha always speaks as if she has her "All Caps" button pushed. She shouts every line when she's socializing. But props to her for succeeding so well this charter.

And props to Daisy for publicly praising Natasha at dinner. She's a smart leader. She also opted to go to bed early and I think that was a wise move. 

Gary, Allie, and Sydney are ridiculous to watch! Sydney is a bunny boiler and I think she could really go sideways and I find myself hoping for it a little bit. Gary and Allie are cute and disgusting at the same time. So rude to cuddle and flirt at dinner in front of everyone, then later on the boat to start making out in a conversation circle! WTH??? When they were talking on the bow during charter, they were actually speaking about meaningful things, parental love and loss, hurt feelings and ambivalence about an absent father. Pretty deep stuff for a Bravo show!

Sydney continues to lie to herself and everyone else about how much it is killing her to lose Gary. She thinks she's the prettiest girl on the boat and is the best fit for Gary. I'm not sure either Gary or Sydney remember Gary telling her it was a one night thing but upon watching it on tv Gary must feel better and Sydney must feel more foolish. He was never into her and only had sex because everyone else went to bed and Sydney was game.

Dani was awesome to try and buck up Sydney but a fool about chasing JL. Watching Allie and Dani making out was not sexy at all. From the previews I thought Allie was going to make out with Sidney and at least it wasn't Sydney. Allie has said previously she has more respect for herself than to engage in the behavior that Sydney admitted to. But making out with Dani to make JL and Gary jealous or motivated wasn't showing herself respect. It was a bore.

And JL this week, what a wet blanket!! That guy hasn't had a good week yet and he thinks he saved the world by untangling the anchor. I applaud that task but to bitch and moan about ashes on the teak and insisting on staying angry when a fun party is happening all around you, in a beautiful location, and you have a beautiful woman throwing herself at you, well, his priorities are messed up!!

Spoiler

But Dani is seeing the real JL tonight and she better open her eyes to the realty. If the rumors are true, she has hitched her wagon to an anchor and he is going to a major PITA for the rest of their lives. 

Edited by lcarolynl
Put some comments in a spoiler rather than open for all to read.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

Sydney and Alli seem mentally dim. Just zero depth there. 

These people are just trashy drunks and some are downright unattractive. I do like Daisy and Colin, the voices of reason.

I don’t care about the Sydney/Gary storyline at all, girl has serious issues. Hope she was mortified when she watched back. Don’t care about Natasha’s body being too good to share with anyone for the last five years. Don’t care why JL was too pissy to hook up with Dani. I just don’t care about a single person on this boat. The first season was so much better, too bad. 

Edited by Sage47
  • Love 5
On 5/7/2021 at 1:23 AM, lcarolynl said:

Murder Mysteries are a ton of fun with the right people, your former high school theater kids. The wrong people and the game will fall flat. 

I'm responding to this show completely differently than most people here. I'm loving it more each week. I am yelling at the screen and laughing out loud. Gary and Colin have risen in my opinion so very, very much from my first impression. I think Gary and Daisy (my favorite week after week) are solid leaders to this franchise and I think it has staying power if they return. 

Natasha was a crashing bore on deck explaining why she respects her body and can't give it away to just anyone. Colin looked like he wanted to chew off his arm and escape somehow. I think it was on the Watch What Crappens podcast that noticed that Natasha always speaks as if she has her "All Caps" button pushed. She shouts every line when she's socializing. But props to her for succeeding so well this charter.

And props to Daisy for publicly praising Natasha at dinner. She's a smart leader. She also opted to go to bed early and I think that was a wise move. 

Gary, Allie, and Sydney are ridiculous to watch! Sydney is a bunny boiler and I think she could really go sideways and I find myself hoping for it a little bit. Gary and Allie are cute and disgusting at the same time. So rude to cuddle and flirt at dinner in front of everyone, then later on the boat to start making out in a conversation circle! WTH??? When they were talking on the bow during charter, they were actually speaking about meaningful things, parental love and loss, hurt feelings and ambivalence about an absent father. Pretty deep stuff for a Bravo show!

Sydney continues to lie to herself and everyone else about how much it is killing her to lose Gary. She thinks she's the prettiest girl on the boat and is the best fit for Gary. I'm not sure either Gary or Sydney remember Gary telling her it was a one night thing but upon watching it on tv Gary must feel better and Sydney must feel more foolish. He was never into her and only had sex because everyone else went to bed and Sydney was game.

Dani was awesome to try and buck up Sydney but a fool about chasing JL. Watching Allie and Dani making out was not sexy at all. From the previews I thought Allie was going to make out with Sidney and at least it wasn't Sydney. Allie has said previously she has more respect for herself than to engage in the behavior that Sydney admitted to. But making out with Dani to make JL and Gary jealous or motivated wasn't showing herself respect. It was a bore.

And JL this week, what a wet blanket!! That guy hasn't had a good week yet and he thinks he saved the world by untangling the anchor. I applaud that task but to bitch and moan about ashes on the teak and insisting on staying angry when a fun party is happening all around you, in a beautiful location, and you have a beautiful woman throwing herself at you, well, his priorities are messed up!!I

Hide contents

But Dani is seeing the real JL tonight and she better open her eyes to the realty. If the rumors are true, she has hitched her wagon to an anchor and he is going to a major PITA for the rest of their lives. 

I'll just say this about this weeks episode...I watched it from a hospital bed and it did not distract me from my health issue.  I went to visit my daughter in Miami, landed this past Tuesday, had dinner at a fabulous Greek restaurant and then things turned in a different direction, after what I could only describe as the scene in Bridesmaids when they were at the bridal salon...I was the one woman show re enacting that horror.  I spent 3 days at Jackson Memorial in the Presidential Suite (not kidding, daughter has a friend of a friend), beyond sick with an intestinal infection from food poisoning. 

This episode was embarrassing to watch and most of the other episodes too.  I cannot imagine these young women feeling good about themselves after watching themselves.  Bravo should be ashamed that they have reduced the women on this show to feel that the only thing they can get screen time for is when they are trying to get laid, getting laid and nudity on film.  Bravo likes bad behavior but sadly there are women willing to give their all.   

None of the men or women on this show are attractive or even interesting, the chef is odd, her reaction to information would make it hard for me to not want to punch her, Daisy told her that the guests were all seated and Chef's answer was why are you telling me your problems...what does that even mean and how does that help service?  I've seen her IG account with heavily filtered photos of her in bikinis, we have seen her in her bathing suit and she does not look flawless, why try to make anyone believe you are flawless now?  Why aren't we seeing photos of her cooking or her finished products, you know showing her career movement, why do you have to look "hot" in a bikini if your chef skills are oh so strong and you have worked your butt off to make it as a chef?  Why isn't that enough?

I still to date cannot tell you which girl is which and I don't care.

• Love 3
On 5/9/2021 at 9:47 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I've seen her IG account with heavily filtered photos of her in bikinis, we have seen her in her bathing suit and she does not look flawless, why try to make anyone believe you are flawless now?  Why aren't we seeing photos of her cooking or her finished products, you know showing her career movement, why do you have to look "hot" in a bikini if your chef skills are oh so strong and you have worked your butt off to make it as a chef?  Why isn't that enough?

Hope you're feeling better. Maybe she's feels the need to look "hot" because people are harshly judging her body on IG and other places?

• Love 3