Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
kariyaki

S01.E04: Undertaking

Recommended Posts

While Mundi seeks justice, Amalia and her most trusted advisors make a list of potential enemies. Harriet, Primrose and the other Orphans attempt to decipher a message. Amalia exposes an unexpected threat.


Airdate: 2 May 2021

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Amalia is a Time Traveller! Presumably the body was dead in the river and she took it over when she was left behind? 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 4
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds like a good theory, that line of hers about not wearing her own face is probably meant quite literal.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

The behind the screens from HBO Max this time was the confrontation of Massen and Amalia and the scene where everybody is translating Mary's song. They mention that Massen's house is Knebworth House in Hertfordshire England.

My favorite scene this episode was when Bonfire Annie was bad mouthing Amalia while sitting in her chair saying that Amalia was not that tough, but when Annie thought that Amalia was walking through the door, she immediately jumps out of Amaila's seat, but it wasn't Amalia.

I wonder if Amaila and Maladie are aliens that were originally on the spaceship from episode 1? They probably have to find that glowing blue thing they are digging up in the mines.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Kind of hard to follow the plot in this episode.  They're looking for who might have hired the machine gun guy so they go to confront several of them and Amalia goes to talk to Massen, who tells her the Touched are going up against the British Empire.

Then Amalia finally susses out that Lucy is a spy for Massen?

Finally they decode Mary's siren song and it's something about how Amalia will see Mary again, as in the after life?

Only two more episodes.  Sure they will have action and fight scenes and some uplifting lines about how the Touched deserve not to be discriminated against, let alone targeted for violence.

They seem to have quite a budget for production design.  Inside the Episode features the discussions of the sets and this one was about this ornate Victorian castle where Massen lives so they filled it with hunting trophies.

Right now though, the main thing that seems to be at stake is about the Touched not wanting to be other'd.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Man, I don't care if Hugo Swan and his ilk are the poster children of arrogant, privileged assholes: cheese chess looks amazing!  I mean it's chess, but with cheese as the pieces!!  And you get to eat them after you take them off the board!!!  Best game ever!  Someone needs to enter that into the Olympics stat!

Certainly looks like they are wanting us to think that Lord Massen was the one behind Mary's death and there are definitely plenty of reasons to believe so.  But I'm still wondering if there is more to it.  I know his big scene with Amalia was telling, but I'm still not sure if it was him gloating over what he did or was it just typical smug mind games.  Either way, there definitely is some trouble brewing between his lot and the Touched, and I suspect more bodies will drop because of it.

Even though Amalia currently suspects Massen, I'm glad she at least acknowledged that she did tell Lavinia about Mary's performance as well, and Horatio pointed out that just because she is currently helping the Touched right now, doesn't mean she should be fully trusted.

Heh, Penance so wanted Augie to be the killer at first.  Definitely took his treatment at the party towards her personally, to put it mildly!  But it looks like they are on better terms now (certainly helps that he is the most apologetic person on the planet.  Dude probably holds funerals for bugs he accidentally squishes), and I'm sure romance is back on the table!  Already mentally preparing myself for it to end tragically somehow.  Maybe they'll surprise me this time!

Lucy won't be gone for long.  She'll either come back a villain or do something to redeem herself.

Liked seeing more of the supporting Touched characters this go around, with the likes of Harriet, Myrtle, and Primrose getting some good moments.

Mundi is clearly on edge, but at least was able to control himself enough to stop the cops from just flat-out murdering Maladie in broad daylight.  Of course, even though she clearly isn't going to be Mary's killer, I suspect her still being alive will cause some more chaos.

So, Mary's song was actually a message for Amalia?  Whatever it was, it clearly shook her up.  The theories of her being from the future or something along those lines certainly has merit. 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

There are lots of hints about Amalia being a time-traveler - the line about not owning her face, Maladie calling her the skin changing lady, her calling Penance's device an amplifier and in this episode her line 'We don't do funerals from WHEN I'm from.' Interesting that Penance did not pick up on that wording, but maybe she's not a stickler for grammar (RIP Stannis). But I wonder whether Amalia's a human or an alien time traveler and could the voice be that of her partner? So far we assumed she calls herself a widow because in that period it was a status that granted a woman a certain level of independence but what if she also chose it because she thought she had lost him/her/it for good when things went wrong?

Lucy's betrayal came as a surprise. I wondered why she knew that Massen was a big game hunter but assumed that it was common knowledge among his workers. But the first thing Amalia saw in her Rippling was the tiger's head, so I guess they do show her more than just the future.

I was also surprised that Mundi managed to catch Maladie. And is the voice she's hearing the voice of Mary's song? And since Maladie can't process it, has it been a catalyst for her madness?

I liked Nimble - and so did Annie it seems. And Primrose and Sarah working together to help decipher Myrtle's message was really clever. I also loved how they discussed the linguistic intricacies of that scene in the behind the scenes. Also: thanks for identifying Massen's house - I thought those dragons/gargoyles at the gates were props but they are true children of the Gothic Revival. And we often focus on the costumes for the ladies (Amalia's suit with the diagonal flap was amazing) so it was interesting to hear some details about the men's wardrobe. High hats and collars truly change your posture.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, aghst said:

Kind of hard to follow the plot in this episode.  They're looking for who might have hired the machine gun guy so they go to confront several of them and Amalia goes to talk to Massen, who tells her the Touched are going up against the British Empire.

Then Amalia finally susses out that Lucy is a spy for Massen?

Finally they decode Mary's siren song and it's something about how Amalia will see Mary again, as in the after life?

Only two more episodes.  Sure they will have action and fight scenes and some uplifting lines about how the Touched deserve not to be discriminated against, let alone targeted for violence.

They seem to have quite a budget for production design.  Inside the Episode features the discussions of the sets and this one was about this ornate Victorian castle where Massen lives so they filled it with hunting trophies.

Right now though, the main thing that seems to be at stake is about the Touched not wanting to be other'd.

Mostly right, IMO.

They come up with a list of suspects based on a) who would have the clout to get Machine-Gun Guy out of jail b)  Who might have an interest in either killing Mary or affecting the Touched. In my view, they don't do that good a job.

As to that, it seems that there's little to no reason to suspect Augie. Dude is just not capable of being a mastermind or a murderer. Obviously things were written the way they were so that Penance and he could clear the air, but they probably could have done so more artfully. Like they could have had Lavinia as the suspect she should be, and Penance run into Augie en route.

Similarly, there seems absolutely no reason to think that Maladie is capable of orchestrating a breakout of Machine-Gun Guy from prison. At least, not one that did not have a whole lot more dead bodies. 

They left off someone we viewers know of who potentially has motive and opportunity: Swann. Through his brothel and other means, he has blackmail material that could be employed to get what he wants, including the freedom of MGG and directing him at a target. He also has a potential motive to kill Mary: her song was a beacon to the Touched and threatened his super-brothel and the potential increase in power it represents. 

For my money, Massen is a red herring. 

I wonder: when Amalia sees the future, is it fixed? Could she have brought Confession Lady with her? Has she even tried to alter her visions or does she just accept them as what will happen?

The decoding of Mary's song shows that it was a message from someone to Amalia. It seems almost a given that Amalia is an alien/time traveler/mutant/what-have-you whose origin is different from "minding-my-business-when-twinkly-stuff-from-nowhere-turned me." She was part of a mission with whatever gave the Touched their abilities, it got botched, and she thought herself abandoned. But now she knows that there is at least one of the entities from the mission still alive who can be found and perhaps rescued.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

There are lots of hints about Amalia being a time-traveler - the line about not owning her face, Maladie calling her the skin changing lady, her calling Penance's device an amplifier and in this episode her line 'We don't do funerals from WHEN I'm from.' Interesting that Penance did not pick up on that wording, but maybe she's not a stickler for grammar (RIP Stannis).

I didn't pick up on that on first viewing, and I watch with CC on. But on looking at that part again, it strikes me as less of a slip that Penance might have caught and more of a matter-of-fact reaction. So whatever Amalia is, it seems Penance has a good idea that she's not from around here. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

So whatever Amalia is, it seems Penance has a good idea that she's not from around here. 

Yes, that's the other option and seeing as Penance was around for some of the other odd statements and never reacted (IIRC) a flashback to Penance and Amalia's shared history might be in order.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure I understood the ending to this one.

Tom Riley is so good at playing meek, mild-mannered Augie, it's hard to believe he was so convincing as the swashbuckling hero of DaVinci's Demons. What a great actor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I wonder: when Amalia sees the future, is it fixed? Could she have brought Confession Lady with her? Has she even tried to alter her visions or does she just accept them as what will happen?

I think Mundi asked her that in the first or second episode. He asked if the visions told her to go to Place A could she try to go to Place B instead and she said "No." Amalia didn't elaborate if she ever tried to go against the visions or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Amalia being a time traveler sounds like this might be where this is going, or maybe that she is an alien who ended up in the body of the washer woman we saw attempt suicide, but she is definitely not just a normal person in Victorian London who got powers one day like everyone else. Was the person who sent the message her spouse, hence the widow thing and her emotional reaction to the message? It seems like she was on the mission that led to the Touched getting powers (whatever that mission was) but for some reason was left behind, maybe someone else was supposed to stay behind but instead it was her who got stuck here? 

I am still really enjoying the show, I cant believe we only have two more episodes, it seems like we just started. There is so much going on I have no idea how we can get close to wrapping up the season yet. I don't think that Masseen had Mary killed, I think he was being generally threatening and not specifically threatening when it came to Mary's death. He thinks of the Touched as a threat and I think will do a lot of messed up stuff to keep them from amassing power or changing the status quo that he benefits from, but this just doesn't seem like something that would benefit him. 

I actually like Annie with the good guys more than I expected to, she is quickly taking on the "snarky jerk with a heart of maybe bronze" teammate role. "I had more respect for her and I was her kidnapper." Yeah, good thing for her Mary died, I doubt she would have been thrilled about being roomies with her kidnapper. Good thing they just got a bunch of new people, now that Lucy got kicked out for now. It sucks that she was spying on them, but I cant really blame her for wanting to take a chance to get a cure for her Touch. A lot of Touched got cool powers but she got something that makes it impossible for her to touch anyone and killed her baby, she really got a crappy deal. 

I like that a lot of the minor characters like Harriet and Myrtle got some time to shine. 

Glad that Patience and Augie made up, they are awfully cute together. Patience creates wearing a wire....but its just a prototype with a lot of flaws. Oops! At least it let her and Augie talk and he could apologize for pushing her away, although it was really funny how excited she was at the prospect of him being the killer, and then asking if it was his sister. I don't know if it was Lavinia either, she is definitely a very bad guy but this doesn't seem like her style. Hopefully Augie never tells his sister that he's Touched, even if he's her brother I don't see that ending well. Him being her flesh and blood might make it even worse. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Tall girl id def NOT Massen's daughter -- that thing is locked up in the basement. I am sure we will meet the freak that is Lillie next ep.

So Mary's song was FOR Amalia! Cool! I will have to watch again to listen/read what was said (Closed captions) but hey! I did not see Mary's death coming last ep so that was a shocker for me.

Haha! Lucy! she is the informant! duh! there were clues but I did not see that coming either!

The Penance and Auggie conversation was great! She was accusing him of killing Mary and he was confessing that he ditched her at the party cuz his sister made him do it! and at the end Penance says -- so do we think Lavinia killed Mary? Ha! They are cute.

Still-so far- my fave character is Amalia. When she wasn't at the funeral for Mary (and Madalie was in the coffin giving Mary a final cuddle - ugh!) I knew I loved her more and then we see that she was drinking and fighting! Yup! Love her!

Oh and we met a new touched -- the dude that creates the trash can lids to use as stairs! haha!

Personally I am loving this show and re-watch each episode at least twice.

 

7 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

There are others who had the potential to know about Mary and the plans to broadcast at the park -- basically everyone at the Orphanage  

Lucy!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that Lord Massen is probably a red herring.  Yet, the image of Cary Warleggan keeps flashing through my mind, making it hard to give up the idea of Massen as a bad, bad dude.  James Norton's role has been markedly small certainly unlike Sidney Chambers!  And Laura Donnelly would make Jenny Fraser proud!

It's nice to see Poldark, Outlander, and Grantchester actors outside the realms that introduced them to me, even though their characteristics remain with them for me.   

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, taanja said:

Tall girl id def NOT Massen's daughter -- that thing is locked up in the basement. I am sure we will meet the freak that is Lillie next ep.

We shall see. I think the person locked in the basement is Lord Massen’s wife, not his daughter. It would be consistent with the 19th century British novel tropes that are all over this show, specifically “the madwoman in the attic” of Lord Rochester from Jane Eyre. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I don't think that Masseen had Mary killed, I think he was being generally threatening and not specifically threatening when it came to Mary's death.

Samesies. Massen is a military strategist and I think he was enjoying playing the “what if I were the murderer” game with a worthy opponent like Amalia, as if it were a game of Risk, but I don’t think it was him either.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I do love the breakneck pace typical for a Whedon-joint (even if the man himself is an asshole). What this team has put out in four episodes, other people would drag out over multiple seasons.

20 hours ago, Cerulean said:

Amalia is a Time Traveller! Presumably the body was dead in the river and she took it over when she was left behind? 

That or an Alien. Maybe all of the Touched have Alien/time traveler spirits in them, but only Amalia is aware because her host was dead at the time? Also Maladie might be sharing her head with her alien/time traveler, which is what she is talking to and thinking it might be god. In her case that might be because she was a bit craycray already. Would also explain why she is the only one (apart from presumably Amalia) who remembers the ship.

11 hours ago, MissLucas said:

'We don't do funerals from WHEN I'm from.'

Oh, that's a very good catch. I didn't hear that when first watching.

So time traveler basically confirmed.

From the conversation I guess in her time there is constant war? Maybe that was the reason for traveling back in time, trying to change things?

3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

A lot of Touched got cool powers but she got something that makes it impossible for her to touch anyone and killed her baby, she really got a crappy deal. 

I mean, it seems like she can now control her touch, like fire-lady or most other Touched with active abilities, but she is still too afraid to touch another human. So she needs therapy, not a cure. Sadly that's not been invented yet.

Edited by Zonk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder what Massen could have told her that would make Lucy think he had the means to "cure" her.  Lucy didn't strike me as naïve or gullible.   Also, Lucy seemed... a bit mature (to put it delicately) to have had a baby post-Touch.  I was surprised when Penance mentioned that she'd killed her baby with her turn.  

Also also, Massen and Lavinia's friendship has been brought up multiple times.  Red herring, or indication that they're aligned in whatever is going on?

I loved episode 1, 2 and 3 were kind of meh to me, but episode 4 brought me back on board.  My only semi-gripe was how easily Maladie was captured.  I know she's coo-coo, but did she have a plan when she went to see the captain?  It sure didn't pan out, whatever it was. That was weird and anti-climatic.

 I can't wait to find out what Amalia's backstory is, and how she and Penance teamed up.  Like someone else mentioned here, it's kind of nice not to be spoiled with source material.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I wonder what Massen could have told her that would make Lucy think he had the means to "cure" her.  Lucy didn't strike me as naïve or gullible.   Also, Lucy seemed... a bit mature (to put it delicately) to have had a baby post-Touch.  I was surprised when Penance mentioned that she'd killed her baby with her turn.  

Also also, Massen and Lavinia's friendship has been brought up multiple times.  Red herring, or indication that they're aligned in whatever is going on?

I loved episode 1, 2 and 3 were kind of meh to me, but episode 4 brought me back on board.  My only semi-gripe was how easily Maladie was captured.  I know she's coo-coo, but did she have a plan when she went to see the captain?  It sure didn't pan out, whatever it was. That was weird and anti-climatic.

I mean, it seems like any of us can be made gullible with the right bait. Lucy might so desperately want to believe that her turn can be reversed given that it turned her into a baby-murderer and afraid to touch another human that she'd swallow anything. 

Moreover, from what we have seemingly been shown, it actually IS possible to remove someone's turn from them (the Italian lady who could make things weightless was experimented on and then put to hard labor) No idea if Massen is connected to the people who did that, but it's at least plausible that he is and even that he showed her some proof of concept that her turn could be reversed. (BTW, is her turn super-strength or vibration? I thought, perhaps because of the elephant pendant, that it was strength and that she crushed her child, but in this episode it seemed to be more vibration).

Looks like the actress who plays Lucy is 50. If the character is supposed to be younger but just having had a rough life, I suppose it's plausible that a 40ish woman could have a 2-3 year old.

I don't know if the show has made clear what Maladie's turn is either. So it's hard for me to say if it's hard to believe she was captured so easily this time, or if it's hard to believe she wasn't captured before. But I will say that Maladie does not seem to be big on plans or sanity, so it wouldn't surprise me if she just got pissed about being accused of killing Mary and just was like "I'mma go to police HQ to tell them what's what" without thinking "If I do that, the umpteen police officers there might just succeed in arresting me."

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

(BTW, is her turn super-strength or vibration?

Lucy's turn is vibration, at the party you see her breaking vases by placing them in the palm of her hand.

1 hour ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

I don't know if the show has made clear what Maladie's turn is either.

Not sure, but she seems to be able to be beaten rather severely with few side effects as witnessed by her fight with Amalia and Mundi.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Isn't Maladie's turn something with her eyes? That's why Penance gave Amalia those glasses. Though I could never figure out what exactly they were protecting against.

I don't mind Lucy looking 50. If you look at photos of the time people in their 40s often looked like they were already closing in on 60. That's part harder life conditions and part different mentalities when it came to age, appearing mature instead of youthful was the norm after 30. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Enjoying this show, even though I can't understand half of what is being said.  Amalia seems to be turning into one of the shows big mysteries - who and WHAT is she really?  I like her swashbuckling style - even down to jumping into the barroom brawl which she played a large part in its happening. 

Maladie's makeup makes me think of the character played by Darryl Hannah in Blade Runner.  Something about that black mask of makeup on the upper part of her face.   If I recall correctly, the Blade Runner character was sort of nuts (Maladie is WAY nuts) also.  

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Isn't Maladie's turn something with her eyes? That's why Penance gave Amalia those glasses. Though I could never figure out what exactly they were protecting against.

The glasses were protection from one of Penance’s gadgets, I think. But I do remember that Maladie’s eyes turn yellow, although I can’t figure out/remember why.

Share this post


Link to post

21 hours ago, owenthurman said:

We shall see. I think the person locked in the basement is Lord Massen’s wife, not his daughter. It would be consistent with the 19th century British novel tropes that are all over this show, specifically “the madwoman in the attic” of Lord Rochester from Jane Eyre. 

The headstones stated that the wife was born on 1850 and died 1886 - and that Lillie was born in 1886 (Mother probs died giving birth) and daughter Lillie's DOD is listed as 1896 -- the same year the touched became touched.

I think Massen hates the touched cuz his daughter has some kind of affliction of which he is ashamed. So he keeps her locked in the basement.

What did he say to Amalia? Something about them having god-like qualities but being abominations of god. 

I didn't realize this show now has it's own thread.

  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Isn't Maladie's turn something with her eyes? That's why Penance gave Amalia those glasses. Though I could never figure out what exactly they were protecting against.

The glasses were to protect Amalia from one of Penance's inventions, the spinning flying blue one that explodes and makes a bright light, the equivalence of a Flash-Bang Grenade.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

That was such a confusing scene that I checked back with a transcript site:

Penance: Couple of new things, in case you find Maladie before we're back from Lavinia's party.

Amalia: Think someone already invented these. Mmm. ( inhales sharply ) ( blinder pops )

Penance ( sighs ) I'm hoping they'll work against Maladie's awful eye glow. Can't say, but...

Amalia: Until we understand her "turn," it can't hurt.


So, the glasses were to protect Amalia against Penance's exploding gadget. And the exploding gadget was there to protect Amalia against Maladie's eye glow - and neither Amalia nor Penance know what exactly her glowing eyes mean? 

 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

So, uh, did everybody take a really good look at the reporter, Effie Boyle?
And listen to her voice?

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am still really enjoying the show, I cant believe we only have two more episodes, it seems like we just started. There is so much going on I have no idea how we can get close to wrapping up the season yet.

My understanding is that these six episodes are only the first half of the first season, therefore I'm not anticipating that much of anything will be wrapped up.  

 

On 5/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, tennisgurl said:

A lot of Touched got cool powers but she got something that makes it impossible for her to touch anyone and killed her baby, she really got a crappy deal. 

Lucy got to do some cool things during her fight with Amalia, so I don't see her Turn as being a total crappy deal.  Unfortunately, her Turn started off with a tragic event that she's still trying to cope with.  

 

On 5/3/2021 at 9:03 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

So whatever Amalia is, it seems Penance has a good idea that she's not from around here. 

I'm on the same page.  The only reason I can come up with that Penance isn't reacting to Amalia's Other-Worldly comments is that they've had these conversations many times in the past, and Penance no longer thinks much of them.  It would make sense if they've been friends for three-ish years, and it's an interesting way to keep the audience in the dark about Amalia's true nature.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, owenthurman said:

So, uh, did everybody take a really good look at the reporter, Effie Boyle?
And listen to her voice?

No. What about her/it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

15 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

No. What about her/it?

I recommend watching her scene again, paying attention to her face and voice. It’s fifteen minutes into the episode.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, owenthurman said:

I recommend watching her scene again, paying attention to her face and voice. It’s fifteen minutes into the episode.

I thought she sounded familiar.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

So what are we missing re Effie Boyle? The actress is listed as Margaret Tuttle but I couldn't find a photo of her on Imbd.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

So what are we missing re Effie Boyle? The actress is listed as Margaret Tuttle but I couldn't find a photo of her on Imbd.

Margaret Tuttle doesn't exist. The show made a fake imdb page with the name of a feminist playwright from the early 20th century.

I could tell you, but your experience will be SO MUCH COOLER if you watch her scene again and figure it out for yourself. Her face; her voice.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I’m thinking Amalia’s future is kind of terrible for her- she chooses to sleep on a floor in a roomful of other people, presumably because it’s what’s familiar. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don’t know that I would have identified Effie from the voice but her body language followed by her facial gestures clued me in. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve had to watch this with the captions on, I find I miss a lot of dialogue. I’m mainly watching for Laura Donnelly.....she’s just outstanding in selling the character.

I hate chess but have a sudden passion for cheese chess. That was a sweet bit of business.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Clawdette said:

I don’t know that I would have identified Effie from the voice but her body language followed by her facial gestures clued me in. 

Could someone please spoiler code it for me? I have watched the scene a few times and I do not recognize her at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dwmarch said:

Could someone please spoiler code it for me? I have watched the scene a few times and I do not recognize her at all.

 

Spoiler

She’s Maladie.

 

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post

I was pretty confused this episode.  They were throwing a lot of names around and I got lost.  (I still don't know how Amalie figured out Lucy was a spy for Massen.)  This thread has helped sort it out.  (Thanks, Mods, for a new forum!)

Cheese chess is a wonderful idea.

Was Mary's song the language of the "aliens" (time travelers?) on the weird ship?  So Amalia is one of them that got left behind and is using another's face?  Mary sang that they would meet again below.  She must have meant the excavation of the blue orb.

I love Bonfire Annie and her bowler.  Gorgeous.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:59 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Even though Amalia currently suspects Massen, I'm glad she at least acknowledged that she did tell Lavinia about Mary's performance as well, and Horatio pointed out that just because she is currently helping the Touched right now, doesn't mean she should be fully trusted.

Yes!  These people are way too smart to completely trust Lavinia.

On 5/3/2021 at 5:41 PM, Clawdette said:

Cary Warleggan

Oh, my goodness!  I should have recognized him!  He barely needed to change his appearance for this show.

That spoiler about Effie Boyle:

Spoiler

I kept thinking that was the worst wig I've ever seen.  Never occurred to me that it was Maladie.

 

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I was pretty confused this episode.  They were throwing a lot of names around and I got lost.  (I still don't know how Amalie figured out Lucy was a spy for Massen.)  This thread has helped sort it out.  (Thanks, Mods, for a new forum!)

Lucy included a description of Massen's office, that she shouldn't know about unless she had been there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/3/2021 at 7:01 AM, MissLucas said:

There are lots of hints about Amalia being a time-traveler - the line about not owning her face, Maladie calling her the skin changing lady, her calling Penance's device an amplifier and in this episode her line 'We don't do funerals from WHEN I'm from.' Interesting that Penance

I watch with Closed Captions on (they all have many different accents and it makes it much easier!) anyway -- I watched that scene twice/three times with CC and Amalia says "we don't have funerals where I'm from -- not when.

Also I wondered why we were seeing that reporter lady. I figured that scene meant something and I guess it does! haha! I did not recognize her. Cool spoiler.

Yes loving Bonfire Annie (the actress is gorgeous!)

Edited to add: Cheese! best chess game ever!

Edited by taanja
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

51 minutes ago, taanja said:

I watch with Closed Captions on (they all have many different accents and it makes it much easier!) anyway -- I watched that scene twice/three times with CC and Amalia says "we don't have funerals where I'm from -- not when.

I thought it said "where" too but then thought maybe I was mistaken.  

Huh, I just looked again and CC does say "when."

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

I thought it said "where" too but then thought maybe I was mistaken.  

That's why I went back and watched with CC on -- they definitely "type" where and not when

also when I listen to the conversation -  I hear -  "where I'm from..."

So I don't know if Amalia is a time traveler but she certainly is not from Victorian England. She has given us several clues like when she was looking at map of London she says she is not familiar with London cuz she's not from "here"

and she makes that comment to Penance about woman in this place can be killed for speaking their mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, taanja said:

That's why I went back and watched with CC on -- they definitely "type" where and not when

also when I listen to the conversation -  I hear -  "where I'm from..."

Sorry to disagree, but Amalia says "when".  This is with HBO  closed captioning.

762563300_ScreenShot2021-05-05at12_16_09PM.thumb.png.8d4a5a27b7bb37cb78349b203a4af264.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, owenthurman said:

 

  Reveal spoiler

She’s Maladie.

 

Thanks!

Spoiler

Well, I must say, the makeup team on this show does a fantastic job! I thought perhaps she was a Whedon alum making a sneaky cameo like Smidge did in Dr. Horrible but I never would have guessed it was the same actress who plays Maladie! I wonder if this will be a plot point. Is Effie some alternate manifestation of Maladie? Is this her turn, that she can turn into 19th century Lois Lane? Or was it a disguise, hence how she took the police captain hostage later on?

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

 I like her swashbuckling style - even down to jumping into the barroom brawl which she played a large part in its happening. 

Eh, if I have one gripe it's that every damn show these days that has even the slightest element of "action" in it has some sort of quota for fight scenes. Maybe I'm just weird but I don't get off on watching people beat the crap out of each other. There seems to be some mandate in the last couple of decades that every type of "action" movie or show has to have hand-to-hand combat, face punching, highly choreographed, acrobatic fight scenes in them. It just doesn't do anything for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, taanja said:

So I don't know if Amalia is a time traveler but she certainly is not from Victorian England. She has given us several clues like when she was looking at map of London she says she is not familiar with London cuz she's not from "here"

Hypothetically, Amalia could be from non-London part of Victorian England. But yeah, she's probably not from around there and/or then at all.

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Thanks!

  Hide contents

Well, I must say, the makeup team on this show does a fantastic job! I thought perhaps she was a Whedon alum making a sneaky cameo like Smidge did in Dr. Horrible but I never would have guessed it was the same actress who plays Maladie! I wonder if this will be a plot point. Is Effie some alternate manifestation of Maladie? Is this her turn, that she can turn into 19th century Lois Lane? Or was it a disguise, hence how she took the police captain hostage later on?

 

Welcome!
 

Spoiler

My guess: she’s like Jekyll and Hyde; a transformation comes over poor Effie….

Though they seem to be working together. Effie sees the inside of the police chief’s office, information which Maladie uses in her raid….

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/5/2021 at 12:57 AM, owenthurman said:

So, uh, did everybody take a really good look at the reporter, Effie Boyle?
And listen to her voice?

Man that one is an incredible catch. Still don't recognise her face. It's not my strong suit. But her voice is really hard to miss, once you know what you are looking for. Very, very interesting.

17 hours ago, taanja said:

That's why I went back and watched with CC on -- they definitely "type" where and not when

also when I listen to the conversation -  I hear -  "where I'm from..."

My CC also says "when" and she is clearly saying "when", when you listen closely.

9dXPkm4.png

Edited by Zonk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size