Type keyword(s) to search

The "Sex & the City" Movies: Comparing & Contrasting the TV Series

On 9/28/2017 at 9:19 PM, CleoCaesar said:

If true, that sucks. No one was being forced to watch a third movie if they didn't want to. For those of us who would have liked to see the girls together again, it's not happy news.

I don’t care how awful the movies were.  I’m in it for as many as they would make.

I don’t blame Kim for not making the movie, but there’s no reason the show can’t go on without her.  She became such a caricature that I can see them killing her character off.

like it or not, Carrie will always be the heart of the franchise.  I’m not done with the show yet, and I think SJP agrees. 

• Love 7
On 10/6/2017 at 11:47 PM, voiceover said:

Rereading posts, and this reminds me that I *did* really love her signature perfume.  Which I don't think they make any more.

Also, I see I need to credit @Melancholy for the "Nancy Meyers film" zinger.  Wish I'd though of it.

Lovely?  It’s great.  You should be able to get it online.

On 10/17/2017 at 1:22 PM, Melancholy said:

I mean, I “see why” Carrie jumped on blaming Miranda. It’s easier to blame Miranda than to continue taking responsibility for being out of synch with your Great Love (I.e.  the giant wedding) or heck, easier than continuing to place all of the blame on Big and admit that you chose your Great Love poorly or your Great Love is a shit.

Carrie is a shit friend. Period. Carrie takes no responsibility or accountability for anything in her life. Period. I mean if all it takes to change your fiance's mind is for someone to say "oh yea by the way marriage sucks and is crap and is too hard", he was never ready to get married! Like ever. They never had any discussion about their wedding, let alone their marriage to even know if they wanted the same thing. It's on both of them, NOT Miranda, for what happened. I add this to the list of reasons I think Carrie is such an awful person. 

It infuriated me that Carrie (the forever shitty friend) blamed Miranda for what happened. I chalk it up to a conceit of the writers that Miranda said well I said something that might have caused this...NO, you didn't say anything to cause this! At the worst, Miranda made a flip off-hand remark that was internalized by a man already unsure about what he was about to do. 

I agree with @MELANCHOLY that Carrie needed a convenient scapegoat and Miranda was that sacrificial lamb for her rage, anger, and bullshit. People sometimes say that I'm a "Miranda" (BTW, I hate those stupid quizzes!) but there's literally no way in the entire world that I'd let my friend shit on me like that no matter what the situation. Carrie is a child and I'm not dealing with the tantrums. Nope, next. That chick is lucky to have had friends who indulged that ridiculous nonsense "honeymoon". 

Edited by msani19
late night typos
  • Love 12
16 hours ago, msani19 said:

I agree with @MELANCHOLY that Carrie needed a convenient scapegoat and Miranda was that sacrificial lamb for her rage, anger, and bullshit. People sometimes say that I'm a "Miranda" (BTW, I hate those stupid quizzes!) but there's literally no way in the entire world that I'd let my friend shit on me like that no matter what the situation. Carrie is a child and I'm not dealing with the tantrums. Nope, next. That chick is lucky to have had friends who indulged that ridiculous nonsense "honeymoon". 

I like Miranda and all but her tough, strong vibe is just a front in a lot of ways. She’s a doormat when it’s crunch time, especially with Carrie and Steve. It’s a lot of striding around in men’s suits and making abrasive remarks and having an aggressive demeanor to end up as a total marshmallow in her actual life. It’s both endearing and annoying. If Samantha/Charlotte said something similar to Big, I see them doormattily taking Carrie’s anger because they’re in the Cult of Carrie but not sending flowers and apologies and waiting out of their apartment for hours like a cheating spouse (while Miranda’s comment IS analogized to cheating-spouse behavior by Carrie with similar standards of forgiveness.) Miranda wasn’t put in such a humiliating position in the series because the series cared more about the dignity and POV of the other women. But it did feel based in canon that Miranda would get humiliated and brow-beaten like this instead of the other women. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, voiceover said:

*smacks forehead*  Right!  It's not eponymous.

Thanks for the suggestion & correction.

I also saw it today at Kohls.  I have a bottle and am wearing it today.  SJP was very hands on (unlike most celeb “perfumers”), and created a great product.  She does have impeccable taste, I think. 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2017 at 1:23 PM, Maherjunkie said:

KC said SJP could  have been nicer-wonder what words were exchanged?

I took that as re: the comments SJP made about Kim turning down a 3rd film.

Well, I've only heard a few minutes of the Piers Morgan interview, but I am more firmly in Camp Cattrell than ever.

She admits that the four weren't  friends outside the show -- "We were colleagues!" -- and gave a couple of reasons why that's true: she is ten years older, and she's the only one sans offspring.

Makes sense to me.  It's generally a pr thing/fanbase wish fulfillment: the desire that onscreen couples are romantically inclined off-, and that actors who *play* best buddies, must ipso facto BE friends.

• Love 6

"Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they need to run free, until they find someone just as wild to run with."...you will learn this line if your wife is addicted to this series. I am a guy but i have to admit that i understand why she likes it so much. Season 4 is her favorite.

• Love 2

Ok, I’m retracting my opinion that a third movie needs to be made.  I was bored, watching E, and the second movie came on.   The only person real or fiction who did not come off as a complete idiot is Mylie Cyrus.

Carrie and Charlotte are whining infants, Miranda is a bug eyed, cringy whoo hooing stiff, and Samantha is pathetic.

whoever wrote this crap should be charged with a hate crime or something.  

• Love 6

I just saw a scene from SATC 2 where Carrie introduces herself as "Carrie Preston."  Did she change her name?  Did she change it just personally?  Why do I care?  

The whole discussion of SATC 3 needs to stop: SATC 2 was such a shitshow why would you even dare to go back?  Kim C owes nothing to no one.  It is a job, she can pass if she wants and SJP looks and sounds petty over this whole affair.

I like my co-workers - they are friendly and such.  But friends?  No.  I just got married and it never even occurred to me to invite anyone.  Work is work.  I am still friends with a former coworker from years back but we have a lot of the same interests.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:02 PM, Mu Shu said:

whoever wrote this crap should be charged with a hate crime or something.  

It is really bad, isn't it??

• Love 11
On 11/5/2017 at 10:10 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

I just saw a scene from SATC 2 where Carrie introduces herself as "Carrie Preston."  Did she change her name?  Did she change it just personally?  Why do I care? 

It sounded a little weird to me too. But I guess it's not unusual for women to use their husbands' last names socially. Legally and professionally she's Bradshaw but in social settings she can be Preston. I don't remember the scene well but wasn't Carrie at some point pointedly introducing herself as Preston to a woman flirting with Big? Has the added benefit of subtly saying "Back off. We're the Prestons."

I'm of a million minds when it comes to SATC3.

I agree with a lot of you, and yet I want everything at once:

SATC1 I loved.
SATC2 was terrible, dreadful, offensive, yet I'll still probably watch it once a year.  I liked Carrie and Big's domestic issues - the rest?  Bleh!
I still want a SATC3!!!  I'm greedy, that's why!  I always want more of everything.  More movies, more revivals, more episodes, more seasons.  MORE.

But hey, I continue to worship the ground Kim Catrall walks on and she can do whatever she wants.  Canadian/American goddess!  Willie Garson sounds like an awful shit.

I just still wish there was a SATC3 and even pathetically hold out hope ;)

Reading that "Mean Girls" New York Post article upthread is very interesting.  It reminds me of The Good Wife's Julianna Marguiles not liking scene-stealing, award-winning Archie Panjabi.  Hmmmmmmmmm!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Melancholy said:

Women speaking out against Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood abusers inspired SJP to smear Kim Cattrall for making her own choices for her career. Or ahem, “speak out” to some end. The smug, self congratulatory tone should inform that it’s a good end even if SJP is short on specifics. What a vile person. 

Ummmm was she drunk when she gave that interview?  She certainly strung together a lot of words which unfortunately did not make for a coherent  discussion.

• Love 8

Wow... i guess even with SJP having power, she's using that power to smear a former co star for refusing to star in another SATC movie.  She seems bitter, which confuses me.

Edited by JAYJAY1979
  • Love 7
22 hours ago, Melancholy said:

Women speaking out against Harvey Weinstein and other Hollywood abusers inspired SJP to smear Kim Cattrall for making her own choices for her career. Or ahem, “speak out” to some end. The smug, self congratulatory tone should inform that it’s a good end even if SJP is short on specifics. What a vile person. 

I call total BS on her remarks that she had wanted to address the reasons behind SATC3 not being made, but she was being cautioned by friends and so forth to not speak about it. Excuse me? She let others do her dirty work for her, including all kinds of nastiness, so why would she have needed to add to those comments anyway? Kim Cattrall has made it quite clear recently and in the past that she had zero interest in continuing with the character or the series.  I've said before that I could envision a situation where KC said no to the initial offer, and they came back with a counteroffer, and she essentially told them, I'll do it if you pay me insane amounts of money, give me total control over the script as it relates to Samantha's character, etc., knowing that they wouldn't agree and using those demands as a way to get them to accept reality. But at this point, after the various hatchet jobs that have been done on KC, I have to ask myself, so what if she initially said no and then made those so-called outrageous demands in all seriousness? When anyone has been offered a job, that person has the right to negotiate, and if the desired conditions aren't offered, then it's a no-brainer that the person declines the job.

I just cannot wrap my head around this concept that SJP and others are trying to sell that KC is some sort of evil villain for having declined a job, whether she said "Hell to the no" at first and never wavered, or if she declined and then threw out some silly demands to get them to STFU about the offer, or if she declined and then decided that the only way she would consider the role would be if they met conditions A, B, and C, and when those conditions were not met, declined the final offer. I know there are SATC fans out there who want another movie. But there is not a damn thing stopping SJP from making another movie and either recasting Sam or having her character be "away" or dead.  I'm almost at a point where I'd like to see them make the new movie, just to see how audiences react to the absence of KC, because for me, KC was the one who made the humor work in a lot of scenes.  And even though SJP didn't exactly equate women speaking up about Harvey Weinstein and other sexual predators to her speaking up about her side of the story, mentioning Weinstein was an obvious ploy to get people to regard KC as the wrongdoer and herself as the victim, which I find offensive.  IMO, SJP just can't accept that KC didn't jump when SJP said jump. KC did her job well in the series and in the two existing movies; that was what she owed the show and the fans. She does not owe anybody, from SJP to the fans, anything more to do with SATC. She's moved on from the show, and SJP needs to quit bitching about that decision. Nobody signed a contract saying that for the rest of their career, they had to automatically accept work on SATC projects. 

ETA:  Oh, the irony! I just remembered that when SJP was initially offered the role of Carrie, she turned it down a few times before finally negotiating that she would accept the role ONLY if she was given exec producer status on the series. So, if SJP makes demands regarding SATC, it's perfectly okay, but for KC to have supposedly made demands and walked away when those demands were not met is somehow a horrible action. Part of my outrage over this situation is that I was once guilt-tripped by a manager into staying at a job when I had just received an offer from another organization; she pulled out all the stops, up to and including that the current company would lose the contract for the project I was working on, if I left. I fell into that trap once, ended up hating my job despite having been given a significant promotion and raise, so when I was ready to leave a few years later, all the guilt-tripping in the world couldn't stop me. I truly believe that KC let herself get talked into the first two movies against her better judgment and then refused to be guilt-tripped yet again. 

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 22
On 1/13/2018 at 12:03 PM, BookWoman56 said:

Oh, the irony! I just remembered that when SJP was initially offered the role of Carrie, she turned it down a few times before finally negotiating that she would accept the role ONLY if she was given exec producer status on the series. So, if SJP makes demands regarding SATC, it's perfectly okay, but for KC to have supposedly made demands and walked away when those demands were not met is somehow a horrible action.

100% this - SJP needs to SHUT. IT.  Kim said no, stop bringing it up, stop "mean-girling" her in the media and acting all "Oh I don't know what the problem is" - the problem is KC does not want to do the third movie for any reason!  She does not need to explain defend nor justify her actions.  She can say she does not want to go to a location, she wants a block of time free just for her, she just does not want to do it.  That is her choice.  Respect it, SJP - you have more than enough money, you don't need SATC 3 to fill your bank account.

Edited to add:  SJP does not need SATC 3 to fill her bank account, and we the viewers do not need another ego filled movie for SJP to star in and be fawned over.  Don't need that crap in the theaters, don't need it filling up the E Network in re-runs.

We as women have a hard time (at times) supporting each other; SAHM vs Career Moms (like what the hell?) and denigrating each other for exercising our choices accorded to us and choices we have earned.  I feel so strongly about this as a woman, Kim Catrall, a woman in her early 60's, who has worked and WORKED to earn per place, now has to DEFEND herself for respectfully declining?  Again....what the hell?  I am 53 and it is sad that women are so hard on each other, especially in the media.  SJP comes off as petty, thin skinned and mean in this whole situation.

Edited AGAIN as I want an interviewer, any interviewer, to say, "Look, SJP, SATC 2 was such a giant turd wrapped in putrid mayo that was left out in the Miami heat in July, why would you attempt it again?  Do you really need ANOTHER vehicle for yourself?"

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 20

It's a rainy Saturday afternoon and the first movie is currently playing on HBO. I'm watching the whole thing and it's really...not that bad. I mean, it doesn't hold a candle to the original series, and the Charlotte subplot is boring, and Carrie is annoying, and Steve wouldn't cheat on Miranda, but on the whole, it's not terrible. (Unlike the second movie.)

Also, the scene where Carrie interviews the drunk girl for her assistant job is kind of funny. "But I type like a motherfucker!"

• Love 2

I was a huge fan of the series - I own every season and have seen every episode several times - but I'll be the first person to say how much the second movie sucked and I'm 100% on Kim's side about not wanting to do a third movie, and that SJP needs to shut up already. Stop being a catty bitch and leave the fans with their good memories. Samantha was given terrible, humiliating storylines in both movies; nobody can blame Kim for walking away.

• Love 13

SJP made sure that Samantha was given horrible, humiliating storylines... the FedEx blowjob episode still fills me with rage, or when Carrie browbeat Sam into attending her book party immediately after face work and then mocked her appearance.  But Kim is such an amazing actress that she took attempts to denigrate Samantha and made them powerful moments.  This feud has clearly been raging for about 20 years and good for Kim for walking away from what is undoubtedly a pile of cash just as an F you to SJP.  It's a Pyrrhic victory but must feel great.  And who knows what the third script held.  Knowing SJP, Carrie would probably be winning a Pulitzer, while Samantha would have her career destroyed by sexual harassment allegations, and have to go work for Carrie, as no one else would hire her.  No thanks!

• Love 20

In addition to the humiliating story lines already mentioned, the one that stuck in  my craw at the time and still does all these years later, is the one where Sam has discovered that she now has a gray hair or two in her pubic hair and does a dye job that goes very wrong. The whole point of that plot seemed to be the scene where Sam has to show that her pubic hair is now Bozo-the-clown orange. That was several digs at once: Pointing out that Sam/KC is older than the rest of the group, and her pubic hair (symbolizing her sex appeal) now appears ridiculous. And I've always thought that the cancer story line was intended to make Sam/KC look unattractive with wigs and finally the shot of her hair growing back in, but Kim managed to make the physical aspects of the cancer compelling, sort of the idea that there is beauty in fighting back against the disease.  Ultimately, I think Kim wasn't willing to trust SJP or anyone connected with the series/movies not to make Sam's character completely pathetic.  And even in the unlikely event that the script for the third movie was wonderful, Kim had the absolute right to turn down the role. I think Kim decided she'd been given lousy scripts, especially for her character, often enough. There's also the issue of money; my impression is that Kim has had steady enough work that she isn't dependent on a specific movie role to support herself at this point in her career, while not being wealthy.  However, SJP seems willing to milk the SATC cash cow to death even though she's in very good shape financially.  Finally, if SJP does feel that there is some wonderful and compelling story still to tell in the SATC universe, then FFS go ahead and make the movie without Kim.  

Edited by BookWoman56
  • Love 18
10 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

In addition to the humiliating story lines already mentioned, the one that stuck in  my craw at the time and still does all these years later, is the one where Sam has discovered that she now has a gray hair or two in her pubic hair and does a dye job that goes very wrong. The whole point of that plot seemed to be the scene where Sam has to show that her pubic hair is now Bozo-the-clown orange. That was several digs at once: Pointing out that Sam/KC is older than the rest of the group, and her pubic hair (symbolizing her sex appeal) now appears ridiculous. And I've always thought that the cancer story line was intended to make Sam/KC look unattractive with wigs and finally the shot of her hair growing back in, but Kim managed to make the physical aspects of the cancer compelling, sort of the idea that there is beauty in fighting back against the disease.  Ultimately, I think Kim wasn't willing to trust SJP or anyone connected with the series/movies not to make Sam's character completely pathetic.  And even in the unlikely event that the script for the third movie was wonderful, Kim had the absolute right to turn down the role. I think Kim decided she'd been given lousy scripts, especially for her character, often enough. There's also the issue of money; my impression is that Kim has had steady enough work that she isn't dependent on a specific movie role to support herself at this point in her career, while not being wealthy.  However, SJP seems willing to milk the SATC cash cow to death even though she's in very good shape financially.  Finally, if SJP does feel that there is some wonderful and compelling story still to tell in the SATC universe, then FFS go ahead and make the movie without Kim.  

I agree. I wouldn't trust SJP to give Samantha decent stories either. I wonder how much the other two trust SJP when it comes to stories for Charlotte and Miranda. Neither were really that much better. Charlotte pooped in her pants in the first movie. How lovely. Then spent the second movie worried her nanny wanted her husband. Miranda's story in the first movie had potential. Putting work ahead of her family. But they didn't really deal with it. She got one therapy session and then make up at the bridge. Are Cynthia and Kristin really happy with Carrie getting the bulk of the stories?  Or are they just happy to get work?  Its ironic that SJP keeps pushing for the third movie and trying to force Kim to do the movie when I'd rather it be Carrie who didn't appear in the third movie. Unless the third movie is balanced equally among the four girls or Carrie's storyline is comeuppance for the crappy way she's treated everyone or she's forced to try and make up for the crappy way she's treated everyone then I really don't want a third movie.  I don't want another movie where Carrie treats her friends like crap and they just take it, I don't want another movie with Carrie whining that Big's not taking her somewhere, or going out with her and acts like its this big huge thing. Big put a TV in the bedroom my life is over! I don't want to see Samantha humiliated or Charlotte or Miranda. I don't want everyone treating Carrie like a special, amazing, funny snowflake that everyone loves. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 14
On 2/10/2018 at 2:09 PM, CleoCaesar said:

It's a rainy Saturday afternoon and the first movie is currently playing on HBO. I'm watching the whole thing and it's really...not that bad. I mean, it doesn't hold a candle to the original series, and the Charlotte subplot is boring, and Carrie is annoying, and Steve wouldn't cheat on Miranda, but on the whole, it's not terrible. (Unlike the second movie.)

Also, the scene where Carrie interviews the drunk girl for her assistant job is kind of funny. "But I type like a motherfucker!"

I agree.  I saw the first movie in a theater and thought....well, it could have been worse.  Poor Charlotte's storyline is she drank the water and got the runs.  Steve would never have cheated on Miranda and a whole movie devoted to SJP's Pity Party in Mexico.  SATC Two was horrid, we all agree on that front.

• Love 8

Miranda is forever the only good thing about the second movie. She and Steve are happy, she gets a little break from working and enjoys a little time as a stay at home mom (without anyone trying to pretend that would’ve made her happy long-term), her work storyline was about needing to find a firm that appreciated her, she got Charlotte out of her own ass, and was the only one of the four not to play the role of Ugly American.while they were abroad. 

• Love 13
On 2/12/2018 at 5:31 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Miranda is forever the only good thing about the second movie. She and Steve are happy, she gets a little break from working and enjoys a little time as a stay at home mom (without anyone trying to pretend that would’ve made her happy long-term), her work storyline was about needing to find a firm that appreciated her, she got Charlotte out of her own ass, and was the only one of the four not to play the role of Ugly American.while they were abroad. 

I agree!  The other nitpick I have over Charlotte's storyline was over that damn nanny.  Charlotte, dear, you moaned, groaned and whined all through the series that you wanted to be married and have kids.  Now  you have them and you whine because you might lose the nanny?  And you don't work FT?  You are home FT and TWO kids perplex you?  Then she made a joke about Harry being unfaithful (which he would never do) and you say "I don't want to lose the nanny!" - ugh.  I am not making any statements about women working, working at home....none of that.  It seemed like such a sharp turn for Charlotte.

• Love 13
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, BookWoman56 said:

Finally, if SJP does feel that there is some wonderful and compelling story still to tell in the SATC universe, then FFS go ahead and make the movie without Kim.  

And if she really wants to give Kim the finger, just have the opening scene be the three of them returning from Sam's funeral, humiliating her by mentioning that she choked to death giving a guy a bj.  I have to wonder if KC's "unreasonable demands" are that they stop writing Samantha as a cartoonishly horny 15 year-old.

• Love 15

returning from Sam's funeral, humiliating her by mentioning that she choked to death giving a guy a bj

Not humiliating enough!

Sam died from choking on a dildo, as nobody in NYC found her attractive anymore to go to bed with.

• Love 11
On 1/8/2018 at 7:14 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I'm of a million minds when it comes to SATC3.

I agree with a lot of you, and yet I want everything at once:

SATC1 I loved.
SATC2 was terrible, dreadful, offensive, yet I'll still probably watch it once a year.  I liked Carrie and Big's domestic issues - the rest?  Bleh!
I still want a SATC3!!!  I'm greedy, that's why!  I always want more of everything.  More movies, more revivals, more episodes, more seasons.  MORE.

But hey, I continue to worship the ground Kim Catrall walks on and she can do whatever she wants.  Canadian/American goddess!  Willie Garson sounds like an awful shit.

I just still wish there was a SATC3 and even pathetically hold out hope ;)

Reading that "Mean Girls" New York Post article upthread is very interesting.  It reminds me of The Good Wife's Julianna Marguiles not liking scene-stealing, award-winning Archie Panjabi.  Hmmmmmmmmm!

SATC2 was on E this weekend.  It’s awful, but I watched it.  I watch it every time it’s on, no matter how much I bitch about it. 

I’m dying for 3.  I don’t care how awful it is. This show was absolute magic.  I really think the series could come back in a more grown up form, except for Cynthia Nixon trying to be a mayor, and Kim Catrall on the outs.  But I think SJP would be game.

i want my girls back.  I don’t care if they’re in menopause. 

• Love 5
On 2/12/2018 at 4:31 PM, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

and was the only one of the four not to play the role of Ugly American.while they were abroad. 

Samantha certainly blew it, but I wouldn't throw Carrie & Charlotte into that category.  They covered up when they went out, and didn't touch men in public (the Aidan kiss didn't have spectators).  Nothing ugly about it.  They were visiting for a week at a luxury resort, not joining the Peace Corps.

And Miranda, bless her heart, more or less just googled "Abu Dhabi".  It was okay, but saying "Thank you" in the language of the country you're visiting = eh.  (Marketplace Arabic isn't hard to pick up; that would've impressed me more) It was like the reax in Sri Lankan movie theaters when Harrison Ford said it in Sinhalese as Indiana Jones (Temple of Doom) = the locals went, Huh? and the Americans yukked it up because he'd so mangled the pronunciation.

*climbs down from hobby horse*

Watching Movie One again.  They had to blow those two apart, I guess, but I never believed Big would've pulled that shit in front of the church.  Even though I didn't like the second film, I found their "Terrible Twos" plot thread, much more believable.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, voiceover said:

Watching Movie One again.  They had to blow those two apart, I guess, but I never believed Big would've pulled that shit in front of the church.  Even though I didn't like the second film, I found their "Terrible Twos" plot thread, much more believable.

I sort of agree with this. I also thought Big leaving Carrie at the alter was OOC. For starters, I don't think it fits with Big's pattern of behavior with Carrie. Big's "big sin" against Carrie is that he didn't commit to her on her timetable. There was a pattern of Carrie finding him disappointing and frustrating. There wasn't a pattern of him actually *betraying* her or *humiliating her* publicly. The first movie tries to make it like it's a pattern in the generally twisted rationale for the two getting married which was literally plotted like- "Carrie and Big are happy together and about to cohabitate. However, based on past behavior and other trophy girlfriends-gone-thrown-out, Carrie decides that she needs to create gymnastics to bind Big to her. He proposes. She accepts and decides to GET MARRIED because he's a "bad guy" and "bad guys do bad things" and she wants a relationship where she can financially punish him if he fucks her over." That's our romantic heroine!

I mean, I guess it's possible that Big's misdeeds against Carrie could escalate to leaving her at the alter. Big never betrayed or publicly humiliated *Carrie* but he ACTUALLY had a track record of doing that to *both of his wives*. However, those betrayals were the affairs that powerful men have. It's horrible but it's normal and certainly doesn't harm and perhaps even helps Big's status as an alpha-dog white-shoe Manhattan prince. Big leaving Carrie at the alter at a mega-wedding is a distinct departure from that. Especially the wussy, pathetic, weirdo way that he did it- no friends of his own, being the last to know that it was doing to be a mega-wedding, the "Let me see your face, baby" neediness. I recognize and appreciate that it makes sense to bring Big down to earth after he and Carrie settled down together at the end of the series. He was no longer the unattainable godlike/demonlike man but just Carrie's full-on committed boyfriend till the end of time. No longer Big but John. However, there was still a canon to Big, as mysterious as he was, and the first movie rejected it.  

I also do buy Carrie and Big having the "terrible twos" of Movie 2. Not even terrible twos, I think that's going to be their marriage till the end of time. Big will increasingly want to do old-man things. Carrie is younger than Big and she's also the type that she'll need to be on a walker and completely infirm before she stops wanting to be a Party Girl. Carrie didn't like, fall in love with Big for his heart. 

She pretty much default doesn't trust him or respect him or like him as a person. She fell in love for the chemistry and the appeal of landing such an unattainable guy who's such a symbol of the Glamorous New York Life. Certainly on Carrie's end, there's none of the sentiments that make a happy, long marriage. 

So yeah, I agree that Carrie's story was better in 2 than 1. Even though there were big flaws in both movies. And while Carrie's bad behavior was realistic in 2, it was particularly grating to listen to because she wasn't even an underdog or a lead with an unclear future full of suspense. By 2, it was the clearest that she can be as much of an irresponsible brat as she wants without losing her friends or Big. However, I still preferred Movie 1. Movie 2 was just too silly to the point that I felt embarrassed watching it. I didn't like Miranda or Samantha's storylines in Movie 1 but at least, they actually had real storylines. In Movie 2, I don't believe any of Carrie's friends had a real story. Poor Charlotte didn't have a real story in either movie. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 4

Ok, SJP actually provided a gracious answer to the KC feud stuff here. This should have been her initial response. 

Do you see any resolution with the Kim Cattrall–Sex and the City 3situation?
I’d just like to remind everybody that there is no catfight. I have never uttered an unkind, unsupportive, unfriendly word, so I would love to redefine it. I also want to remind everybody that there were four women on the set and I spent equal time with all of them, so this was not a set with two women who didn’t get along. I’ve always held Kim’s work in high regard and always appreciative of her contributions. If she chooses not to do the third movie, there’s not a lot I can do to change her mind and we must respect it. That’s the only thing I’ve ever said about it, you know?

The three of us have shared our disappointment that we’re not making that movie, not just on our behalf but our crew, but also just the people that have been vocal about wanting to see it. But we still live in a free country where people get to make choices and sometimes the answer is “no,” and the only way to respond for me is to respect that. So whether we choose to revisit it at another time and reimagine that story — that’s something Michael and I just haven’t talked about yet, that doesn’t mean we won’t, but we haven’t at this time.

But, no, there is no catfight, there never has been a catfight. I’ve never fought with someone publicly in my life, nor would I. And I spent time with all of the women on the set. People need to recall that it wasn’t just two women on the set fighting because that just never happened. We are enormously proud of what we got to do and I don’t want someone sharing thoughts publicly, which is Kim’s right to do and that is what it is, but we spent 10, 12 years of our life doing something that I really loved and I feel privileged to be part of and I don’t want this to eclipse it or change its experience for that audience that was so good to us for so long.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:22 PM, Melancholy said:

I have never uttered an unkind, unsupportive, unfriendly word, so I would love to redefine it.

I’ve never fought with someone publicly in my life, nor would I.

I don’t want someone sharing thoughts publicly, which is Kim’s right to do

I agree with you, @Inquisitionist, the above sounds pretty defensive...shady, even.  No, there's no catfight, I have never...implying Kim has, SJP hasn't.

@Melancholy...not quoting you per se, just the quote within your post :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 8
On 4/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, ByTor said:

I agree with you, @Inquisitionist, the above sounds pretty defensive...shady, even.  No, there's no catfight, I have never...implying Kim has, SJP hasn't.

Well, Kim certainly did utter some very unkind public words, there's no denying that. That instagram post was something else. I've seen nothing from SJP that comes close.

• Love 3

I mean, yeah, I still think SJP came off badly in the context of the entire fight. I'm still Team Kim. I strongly suspect that SJP leaked those anonymous quotes about how KC broke the project because she was a "diva" with "ridiculous demands" and "Who does she think she is?' After those quotes came out- even if SJP didn't leak them- it was still miserable for her to just cry crocodile tears about how KC disappointed the crew and fans by saying no and how this, THIS would have been the great movie based on the script that she won't discuss but oops, KC deprived us all of it. And then, she got even more infuriating with the insane quote about how she's READY TO SPEAK HER TRUTH about KC after she was "inspired" by the Me Too movement and Harvey Weinstein's accuser came out. And then, said nothing but just got out a quote tying KC to Harvey Weinstein. 

I think I should have put "gracious" in quotes. My point is that this would have been a fine statement if it was the first one to come out of SJP's lips. She hits the reasonable points here- KC has every right to say no to another movie, we have to respect people's rights to reject projects, she respects KC's work and what she did for the series, she doesn't regard this as a catfight, everyone got along when they were filming (and yes, that means SJP wasn't an impossible diva but it also means KC wasn't either.) If SJP just said this several months ago, well...I still would have suspected her of leaking the anonymous "diva" quotes but probably less so, and I would have thought that SJP's public face was completely fine. 

At any rate, I think that some PR person wised up or she brought a smarter PR person onboard who got through to SJP that KC' has every right to say no to a third movie and the fans overwhelmingly do not join SJP's or Willie Garson's or the industry's anger at KC over being denied a third movie. I think SJP had a mentality that the fans would want a third movie so much, especially one teased by her as the best script, that they'd hate on KC for saying no to the movie. This Vulture quote reflects that she's discovered this really isn't the case. The fans and IMO, the press, have been pro-KC even if the industry takes SJP's side. 

I do agree that she was lightly giving shade over KC’s angry public statements with her “I don’t fight publicly.” But it’s light shade IMO. I get the impression that SJP really wants to end and minimize this fight. It hasn’t worked out well for her and hey, she was probably really hurt by KC’s brutal Instagram post. Those were some incredibly hurtful words. I would be bothered by KC’s grief influenced but also feud influenced tirade for years and years if I was in SJP’s Mahnolos. It seems almost inevitable that SJP would deal with those feelings by denying a fight exists because she doesn’t fight publicly. A little waspish sniffing at KC’s furious public fighting but mainly, SJP trying to put this ugliness to bed because she’s not enjoying it even if the industry is on her side. 

Edited by Melancholy
  • Love 7

I am watching reruns today which drove me here.  I have not read this thread yet.  I loved the entire series, sort of liked the first movie (too wedding forward) but not enough of all the women.  HATED the second movie (beyond stupid) but I want a third one for them to get it right.  :>)  Samantha was my least favorite.   That was just not genuine nor believable character.  They can easily do it without her.  It can take place in NYC, that is where we fell in love with them and their lifestyles.  Samantha moves to Dubai.  Carrie and Big have a pied a terre in the city or they moved back.  

I want a movie about where they all are now, years later.  They were all married where we left them with an adopted baby for Charlotte and Harry plus a son for Samantha and Steve.   So take it from there.  So many options!

I don't care about their tensions in real life; there never is any right and wrong in that situation.  No one to blame or praise to assign.  Move on and make a movie without the sex kitten.  That plot played itself out anyway, she is too old now.    Mario Cantone has to be in it.  

• Love 2

I’m a big fucking loser because I’m watching the second movie.  My god I suck!

but that paisley silk jumpsuit they have Cynthia Nixon in is stunning.  The movie does have a pretty palette.  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I’m a big fucking loser because I’m watching the second movie.  My god I suck!

but that paisley silk jumpsuit they have Cynthia Nixon in is stunning.  The movie does have a pretty palette.  

My biggest problem with second movie was that it was boring. You're right, it did have a pretty palette, and not much else. I still don't get why they had to change clothes to ride the camels, and then change clothes again to sit and relax. What was the big difference? And the women at the end who had fashion on under their other clothes, and the secret hideaway - that's just a fantasy. It was kind of cute but mostly dumb, and by that point in the movie I don't think there was much that could save it.

I've been a Carrie fan since I started my binge a few months ago, and the first movie didn't change that. The problem with Carrie in the second movie was that she had very little of that spunk and enthusiam that she exhibited throughout the series. She just came across as a bored, kept woman who wanted her man to entertain her. You have everything you've ever wanted Carrie - count your blessings and be happy! 

I do like that they showed that she had just released her third book, I think. So at least she was still writing. And as others have noted, Miranda was really fun in Abu Dhabi. And I did like that she was able to find a job with a better firm. I didn't feel that Samantha's storyline was as humiliating as others had claimed it was, but then again I don't put Samantha on a pedestal. The woman loved sex and had it as often as possible, and pretty much wherever and whenever she wanted. She owned it - and some women have a hell of time when they go through menopause - I've heard all kinds of hair-raising stories. 

As for Charlotte, if you're worried that your husband is going to stray, don't hire an attractive, buxom nanny. Perhaps I've forgotten the circumstances surrounding how she was hired? On top of which, like Harry would ever...?

I also thought the whole nonsense with Aiden was ridiculous. Part of why I have always given Carrie slack was because I knew, and could feel, that Big was the one, the only one. For her to potentially throw that away for Aiden was nonsense. Running around telling all the girls "I kissed Aiden!" or "Aiden kissed me!" or whatever - girl, you DUMB.

I had no problem with the idea of Stanford and Anthony getting married - they laid a small bit of groundwork for that in the first movie - though the wedding was certainly way over the top. Still, I could handwave that away if it weren't for that awful cheating agreement, which I thought was just sad and so unnecessary. It was great seeing the girls and their handsome men all decked out in their finest, though.

• Love 5

It was unrealistic that some guy from the UAE would use a female American to do his hotel PR.  And it was even more unrealistic that this PR pro didn’t know it would be frowned on to behave like a sex crazed idiot  in the Middle East. 

Maybe im looking for the word idiotic.  The show was never realistic, but never idiotic.

it could have been fun, but they went balls to the wall with the cultural assasination instead.

Dick Spurt.  Whoever thought that up should never work again. 

• Love 7
On 5/27/2018 at 12:11 PM, Gothish520 said:

My biggest problem with second movie was that it was boring. You're right, it did have a pretty palette, and not much else. I still don't get why they had to change clothes to ride the camels, and then change clothes again to sit and relax. What was the big difference? And the women at the end who had fashion on under their other clothes, and the secret hideaway - that's just a fantasy. It was kind of cute but mostly dumb, and by that point in the movie I don't think there was much that could save it.

Actually, many wealthy women in the Middle East do wear high fashion under their abayas, and “show off” their fashion in closed, women-only settings. I’m sure this scene is an exaggeration, but it’s based on reality.

And I think I too would change after riding a camel :)

• Love 1