Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
AnimeMania

Girls5Eva

Girls5eva streaming on Peacock May 6 and all eight episodes will be released on that date.

When a one-hit-wonder girl group from the 90’s gets sampled by a young rapper, its members reunite to give their pop star dreams one more shot. They may be grown women balancing spouses, kids, jobs, debt, aging parents, and shoulder pain, but can‘t they also be Girls5eva?

The series stars Grammy® Award-winner and Tony® and Emmy® Award-nominated singer Sara Bareilles, Grammy and Tony Award-winning actress and singer Renée Elise Goldsberry, Emmy® winning “Saturday Night Live” mainstay and comedy icon Paula Pell, New York Times Best-Selling author, actor, activist, writer and host Busy Philipps and Ashley Park (Emily in Paris).

Meredith Scardino serves as creator and executive producer for the series. Jeff Richmond, Tina Fey (Little Stranger, Inc.), Robert Carlock (Bevel Gears), David Miner (3 Arts Entertainment), Eric Gurian (Little Stranger) also serve as executive producers.

girls5eva-peacock.jpg

Unfortunately, if you have the free subscription to Peacock you can only watch the first episode.

Girls5eva

When a one-hit-wonder girl group from the 1990s gets sampled by a young rapper, its members reunite to give their pop star dreams one more shot; starring Sara Bareilles, Renée Elise Goldsberry, Paula Pell and Busy Philipps.

S01.E01: Pilot  (31 Min)
The members of Girls5eva, a '90s girl group, reconnect after a rapper samples their big hit.

S01.E02: D'wasg  (27 Min)
Girls5eva struggles to make their first move; Scott deals with a package Wickie sent from LA.

S01.E03: Alf Musik  (27 Min)
Girls5eva tracks down their old songwriter; Dawn questions if she still wants a second baby.

S01.E04: Carma  (28 Min)
Kev gets home from Tampa; Dawn follows the Dolly method; Wickie dates a younger guy.

S01.E05: Catskills  (26 Min)
Girls5eva rents a cabin upstate to focus; Gloria runs into her ex-wife and tries to reconnect.

S01.E06: Cease and Desist  (26 Min)
Wickie finds fans at a Pride event; Dawn invents an alter ego to deal with pre-show anxiety.

S01.E07: A.I.R.P.I.G.  (28 Min)
Girls5eva pursues a mega-manager at a radio conference; Summer sees Kev’s life in Tampa.

S01.E08: Separ8 Ways  (32 Min)
With Wickie working as a reality TV judge, Dawn, Gloria and Summer struggle to keep Girls5eva alive.

• Useful 1

Very entertaining show, there is a lot to like here. I liked the dialogs more than the overall story to be honest. It is crisp, smart and quick paced and I enjoyed the 90s references as much as the puns about current pop culture. The acting is good too.
I also liked that the girls looked and acted their their age. Weird that Dawn's husband and son were nowhere to be seen in the second half of the season. Andrew Rannell and his crabs were a curveball.

I am pretty sure Ashley is not dead, and there was that little hint at the very end.

If it really was the 4 main actresses singing and harmonising, they did pretty well. Sound mixing was well done.

Edited by Aulty

I enjoyed it! Don’t want to spoil any of the story since it’s so early. I liked all the main characters, even the diva Wickie and the vain but sincere Summer. Lots of dialogue that kept it moving, no time for lulls. I did feel like some of characters outside the core 4 were supposed to have storylines that got truncated for some reason (like Stevia, the husband/son, the brother, and even Kev though he had a lot of story.) Terrific chemistry among all the actors. I was rooting for them all individually as well as the girl group as a whole.

It was a really enjoyable first season. I was really impressed by Sara Bareilles as a comedic actress, she was very natural. The 4 main actresses really played well off each other.

Usually I love it when Tina Fey does a guest spot in series shes working on behind the scenes but I thought this one wasn't her best. Liked most of the casting except for Dawn's brother, the character wasn't dissimilar enough from the one he played in 30 rock.

I didn't love it as much as I'd hoped to (certainly not as much as 30 Rock or Kimmy Schmidt), but I still really liked it (and it was much better than Great News or Mr. Mayor among the shows Fey's produced). I think that's the main way I would describe it--likeable. I liked all the characters, and even if it wasn't as funny as I'd hoped (there were some dry spots, and the last couple episodes were a little too serious/sad for me) it was an easy watch and I liked spending time in this world and with these people. Good escapism for 4 hours. On a storytelling level, it was very well-constructed, with how everything paid off and little plot elements throughout the 8 episodes came together at the end.

I like Sara B a lot, so it was a bit of a bummer that she wasn't really allowed to be funny, mostly playing the straight character. Renee G had the best character and made the most of it. Everything she did killed--one of my favorite moments wasn't even an overtly comedic one; it was when "Girls5ev..." showed up on the screen in the last episode and she screamed GIRLS5EVA and grabbed the mics--a combination of funny and emotional and triumphant.

Also I can't stop listening to this:

• Like 2

I've only watched the first episode so far but it was funny and entertaining so I can't wait to watch the rest. Honestly, given the actresses cast as the girl group members, I would have watched this no matter what. The 90s references and silly throwaway lines are just a bonus!

• Like 1