Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Abishola is nervous about Dele's trip to Nigeria with his father. Also, Bob creates a guidebook on Nigeria for Dele that he proudly calls "Sights and Bites."

Airdate: 05/03/2021

Abishola and Olu/Tunde forgetting that they also need to pack for Dele was a really cute joke 😄

Abishola's written words to Dele were so adorable 🥺❤️.

• Love 7

I unfortunately missed most of this due to my local station covering a tornado or a possibility of one. Hopefully, I can catch it on Paramount+ or CBS.com

• Love 5

At the end, when we hear Abishola's voice over of what she wrote in Sights and Bites, Travis Wolfe Jr.'s/Dele's face was the perfect amount of expression. 

And now we know how to say "adorable" in Nigerian (Hausa?). "Reterete" (rə tay rə tay).

I enjoyed the scene with Bob enlisting Kofo and Goodwin's help with his Sights and Bites
--especially how the writers hung a lamp on Bob's brother's presence and a white American writing a guide book for Nigerian hot spots with:

• [Bob's younger brother, Douglas] Why am I here?
  • Yes, why are you here?
  • [Douglas] You know what? I'll just have a muffin and chime in when it seems appropriate.

And then Douglas did appropriately chime in with:

• He's always been reterete.
    When I was a kid, he would make up bedtime stories about me and my pet dinosaur.
  • [Bob] Terry the T. Rex.
  • [Kofo and Goodwin] Aw.
  • Love 11

Great episode.

Loved the Sights and Bites book.

Abishola and family packing for Dele reminded me of my sister going to Greece when she was staying with cousins. They got a game boy and Nikes.  We didn't get any of that.

The ending of Dele going through the book and Abishola's voice over was sweet.

• Love 6

Very cute episode, Dele is such a sweet kid. His hug with Bob and expression while reading what Abishola wrote for him were such nice moments. I laughed at everyone forgetting to pack anything for Dele to actually wear, the packing struggle is very real. 

"He handed me a dreamcatcher and asked me who I voted for." 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Oh, I love Bob with Dele.  And I love that Abishola made up, without outwardly making up, with Dele within the pages of Bob's "Sights and Bites" guidebook.  She put it in writing, which is really meaningful.

I died laughing at the hierarchy of gifts, and how the best blenders go to the oldest relatives and then on down, and if in doubt, count the teeth because older people need the better blenders.  And then their baffled realization that they had left no room in Dele's suitcases for Dele's stuff, and instead of re-thinking the already packed contents, Abishola immediately goes with "you'll wear all your clothes onto the airplane" and Olu pivots to using Dele's t-shirts as packing materials to cushion the gifts.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I love Bob with Dele.  And I love that Abishola made up, without outwardly making up, with Dele within the pages of Bob's "Sights and Bites" guidebook.  She put it in writing, which is really meaningful.

Dele's story brings alive a way that Bob and Abishola are good for each other. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, movingtargetgal said:

Have we had a scene with Dele and Dottie yet?  I can totally see Dottie being an "Auntie Mame" type of grandma to him.

I was wondering the same thing last night - I remember the scene where Christine made Dele a grilled cheese sandwich, but I don’t recall ever seeing him with Dottie.

• Love 1
(edited)

Poor Kemi. She didn't send her daughter to Nigeria when she was younger and now she is in a band.

Los Angeles Philharmonic

Okay she is in a large band.

I think that cracked me  up the most.

Edited by nilyank
  • LOL 12
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, nilyank said:

Poor Kemi. She didn't send her daughter to Nigeria when she was younger and now she is in a band.

I wonder if her daughter takes her calls? 

I cracked up when everyone ran outside to help back when Abishola was talking to Dele. "I'm going to...supervise." 

• Love 2

Abashola tracking Dele's phone😂. And I've said this before but I love Bob and Dele's relationship. When they get to the park and Bob starts leaning on the horn and yelling, "Dele!!!! She's coming!!!!!!"😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

This has become one of my favorite shows. 

"No, you must continue the sock company so Dele & his children will have jobs"...Abishola's 0-60 parenting style cracks me up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
50 minutes ago, CrazyMoon said:

Abishola's 0-60 parenting style cracks me up.

Hah. "0-60 parenting style." Reminds me of myself as a parent when my daughters were not yet launched -- which is probably why I relate to Abishola even though our cultural backgrounds don't overlap. I supposed Dottie was a "0-60 parenting style" parent too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Can you really track someone so closely that you know when they go into the bathroom? I thought she would be able to tell if he was on school premises, based on the approximate address. But she said he was going to the bathroom too often.

One thing from the episode I noticed and liked very much was the budding good relationship developing between Bob and Dele. I think this boy liked Bob and appreciates that he supports his interests and encourages him. Bob doesn't come down hard on the kid. I know Bob's not his father but Bob shows a respect for the young man and encourages. Dele's family simply dictates to him.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, chediavolo said:

Abishola  is a nightmare mother

Meh. Dele is thriving. 
And:

• Dele, it is Mommy.

Bob showed me his "Sights and Bites" book. He is very pleased with the rhyming title. But there are some things he missed.

If you want peace and quiet, there's a large jacaranda tree in Granny's backyard. I used to read there. You can climb it and see everything, but no one can see you.   

I always wanted to be the one to take you to Nigeria, but I'm looking forward to seeing my home through your eyes. Even though I am not with you, I will be in your heart, as you will be in mine.

• Love 15
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Can you really track someone so closely that you know when they go into the bathroom? I thought she would be able to tell if he was on school premises, based on the approximate address. But she said he was going to the bathroom too often.

Depending on the app, yes, you can get to that level of closeness  I've used mapping apps to find my wife in grocery stores.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, JH Lipton said:

Depending on the app, yes, you can get to that level of closeness  I've used mapping apps to find my wife in grocery stores.

But how would she know it was the bathroom and not his locker (or his girlfriends’ locker) or a water fountain?  Do these apps show the floor plan of wherever you are?

32 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

But how would she know it was the bathroom and not his locker (or his girlfriends’ locker) or a water fountain?  Do these apps show the floor plan of wherever you are?

IRL, I doubt that information would be public for security reasons in the event of an Active Shooter Event. (It was really annoying when the campus where I worked and had to go visit classrooms in new buildings stopped posting the floorplans even on the internal website.)
But I can imagine a fictional app (or a bootleg app) providing this level of detail. 

But more likely, Abishola has already "cased the joint."

• Love 1
On 5/7/2021 at 3:43 AM, shapeshifter said:

If you want peace and quiet, there's a large jacaranda tree in Granny's backyard. I used to read there. You can climb it and see everything, but no one can see you.

See...this line from the show tells us that Abishola really knows Dele, and recognizes herself in him.  Whoever wrote that in the script is a genius.  There is really a lot of good writing in this show.

• Love 9
(edited)
16 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:
On 5/7/2021 at 6:43 AM, shapeshifter said:

“…If you want peace and quiet, there's a large jacaranda tree in Granny's backyard. I used to read there. You can climb it and see everything, but no one can see you.”

See...this line from the show tells us that Abishola really knows Dele, and recognizes herself in him.  Whoever wrote that in the script is a genius.  There is really a lot of good writing in this show.

It’s also great writing because a young teen hiding in a tree ties in with not wanting to be tracked by his phone—a recurring plot point in the episode. The dialogue here is storytelling rather than information dumping heard in shows not so well-written. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
On 5/7/2021 at 5:17 PM, Mittengirl said:

At least for grocery and drug stores, they show an outline of the building but not any interior detail.  So you're right -- you'd have to know the layout of the building to determine where they were.