Type keyword(s) to search

S46.E18: Elon Musk / Miley Cyrus

• Start Topic

I loved everything but the Gen Z sketch. Thought Elon Musk  was pretty good, 
a lot better than even some actors who have hosted. Loved Miley’s first & last song. 
I don’t know much about or follow him, I know he is different but brilliant, what is all the hate about? 

• Love 4

I don’t have any idea why Elon Musk was hosting, but I was willing to try to watch just for the potential train wreck factor.  However as soon as I saw Miley Fucking Cyrus,  and heard her most egregiously horrible fifty unclipped cats skating across a chalkboard speaking voice, I muted ASAP, then canceled the recording.  I did catch the Quarantine sketch, so positives points for it, but minus ten-fold points for Miley Fucking Cyrus.

• Love 4

Elon was better than I expected.  His line readings could be a bit rushed and awkward but he tried to do a character when required when was especially hard given his Aspergers.  

With the Chad sketch... could it be the end... Pete’s acting career is taking off to the point he is getting some of his tattoos removed.  

I had to google Elon Musk's height (6'2") because he looked like a giant in several sketches. I thought he was pretty good in 'Ooli', SpaceX', 'Wario' and the Western sketch. He seemed to have a twinkle in his eye all night, and I never got the impression he was full of himself (although I suppose he is).

Miley Cyrus sounded so nasal in the first 2 songs; between that and the goat vibrato, annoying-although I did like the guy she was singing with. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Having lived in Pennsylvania, I was laughing my ass off at the Murdur Durdur sketch.  I have never seen the show with Kate Winslet so I saw it as a parody of small town mystery drama and TV writers who get it right because they "use Google."  I loved the references to the accents, Wawa, the Schuykill, the gray skies, and Kate being "Philly forty."  

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks for recapping, Pete, so I didn’t have to watch. I ended up watching WU (and laughed out loud several times), plus Ego and Kyle. Ego is a freaking talent! She just keeps getting better and better. And I watched Chad, as I am a Chad completist.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

I don’t know much about or follow him, I know he is different but brilliant, what is all the hate about? 

About what you’d expect from a sociopathic tech bro billionaire. Has a horrible temper and can go on firing rampages. Has run afoul of the SEC for making manipulative statements and not disclosing information to investors. Is suspected of market manipulation with his e-currency statements. Is constitutionally incapable of not being in a relationship but is very controlling of what he wants of his women. (He called his first wife emotionally manipulative when she openly grieved their baby who died of SIDS. She ended up writing the classic article “I was a starter wife.”) Called a Thai cave rescue worker a pedophile. Insisted that coronavirus was going to blow over. Forced his Tesla workers to go back into the plant during CA’s lockdown and 450 of them ended up getting the virus. Picked up the plant and moved to TX because he was still salty about health restrictions. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I don’t have any idea why Elon Musk was hosting, but I was willing to try to watch just for the potential train wreck factor.  However as soon as I saw Miley Fucking Cyrus,  and heard her most egregiously horrible fifty unclipped cats skating across a chalkboard speaking voice, I muted ASAP, then canceled the recording.  I did catch the Quarantine sketch, so positives points for it, but minus ten-fold points for Miley Fucking Cyrus.

This, a million times...well said

• Love 3
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I laughed out loud several times during the monologue and liked all of the sketches. I thought Elon was tops, and he delivered lines better than other hosts who have been wooden and stare at the cue cards while re-ad-ing-them-so-slow-ly. I very much enjoyed this episode. A lot. One of my favs of the season. Got a big laugh out of the "What is a dogecoin" segment. Blockchain, baby! Also really liked GenZ Hospital, bruh. Elon was in pretty much all the sketches, which was cool.

Speaking of "cool," I was happy to see Miley doing both sets fully dressed, top to toes. I say this after watching the repeat that had Halsey, who I love, in some sort of corset that made me spend her entire song staring at her crotch and ass (and also scoping out the back-up dancer's cheeks) and not hearing the song at all. And dude, I'm a straight female. So, kudos Miley.

This was the funniest show in a long time!  I actually laughed.

Miley’s voice.. it is not good.  It’s really horrible.  People enjoy her singing?  

• Love 4

Interesting; my comments that I haven't seen:

1.  I laughed at least as much as I did in some episodes with actors, so I'd call that a win for Elon Musk and for my entertainment.

2.  The ending sketch was a way to address his comments on masks, but COVID is VERY different from robbing a bank.  It would have been better to have that in the Mars colony sketch.

3.  They could bring back Chad at least two ways:  The Mars colony is in "the near future", which gives them some wiggle room, and also Miley was pregnant...so they could do Chad Jr.  But, and I say this in the event anyone involved in the show is reading this, they DON'T HAVE TO.  They gave Chad a logical, heroic ending, and that's more than most people get, so I'll leave that to the professional comedy writers.

4.  Miley was in the cold open, and the taped Mars sketch. I'm not sure if I missed one, but I was close on 2.5.

5.  If I wanted to explain crypocurrency to a non-expert, I'd say:  "it's like an NFT, but not attached to a work of art."  Since for most people, that's not very helpful, so describing it as "a hustle" is funny, as was when Micheal Che pulled out a dollar and said "this is real money", and Elon Musk's reaction of "well..."

6.  Good for Elon Musk for being up front about Asperger's, and thanks both for that and the cyrptocurrency explanation.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

Miley’s voice.. it is not good.  It’s really horrible.  People enjoy her singing?  

I don't really like it, but I think if she stopped forcing the huskiness and 'edge' so much there would be a nice tone somewhere. "Light of a Clear Blue Morning" is such a beautiful song, but more than once I wanted her to just try to feel the song and not get so caught up in a persona. She clearly thinks a lot of Dolly Parton - I wish she would stop and listen to the purity and simplicity of Dolly's voice and how Dolly lives her lyrics, and try to learn from that. 

• Love 8
(edited)
13 hours ago, opus said:

Me too. I think at times she tries too hard to be “outrageous“ but I do like Miley the singer.

Me three.  I like that she's outrageous but agree she could dial it back a bit.  Her singing reminds me of Janis Joplin (I wonder if Miley has ever covered "Summertime.") 

I generally liked the show and thought Musk was OK.  I liked that he said he had Asperger's.  Was this in part to explain his odd bobbing and weaving?  He made fun of himself and was contrite about the mask dealio.  I liked the alibi joke and the Space-X Chad sketch.

Kyle was in an abnormally high amount.  I'm not a big fan, but good for him last night.

Ooli rocked.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 4
(edited)

I laughed so much during the Murder Durder sketch. Ditto comments upthread, I didn't get the point of the Biden dig at the end.

My other favorite sketch was the Gen Z hospital one. In my mind I started thinking of a few words as the sketch proceeded and sure enough they used them eventually. I bet that was fun to write and it reminded me of The Californians sketches.

Still not a fan of Miley Cyrus. I always get a "trying too hard" vibe when I see her in action. Plus, I can never forget the first time I heard her being interviewed on one of the local top 40 radio stations. I came in after the interview had already started so I didn't know who it was at first. Just going by her speaking voice, I thought she was a 50-year old, chain-smoking barfly.

Elon Musk didn't faze me one way or the other but I thought the OJ Simpson comparison was a bit out there unless EM has killed a couple of people in cold blood but the public doesn't know about it yet. 😐

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Having lived in Pennsylvania, I was laughing my ass off at the Murdur Durdur sketch.  I have never seen the show with Kate Winslet so I saw it as a parody of small town mystery drama

I have been watching the show and this sketch was so spot on I was laughing so hard I could barely hear the lines. Brilliant. 

I also laughed a lot at the Ooli sketch. Honestly, I thought it was one of the funnier SNLs in a while. 

Like many here, I'm not 100% sure why Elon is so hated. Probably just as well. But I realized a long time ago, that if I knew all the details of the personal lives of the celebrities in front of and behind the scenes of my entertainment, I'd almost never listen to music, watch TV or see movies. At this point, with a few exceptions, I figure the less I know the better. 

Eg. The other night I watched a show I really liked. I was happy to have discovered it. Then in the credits? Scott Rudin. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have known a thing about him. Now that I do, should I avoid shows he was involved in? What about treatment of young women by almost every rock band I grew up with? Should I clear my Spotify list? I just don't have the energy to take this path. 

Edited by Melina22
  • Love 5
(edited)

Thanks to comments here and elsewhere, I just watched selected parts from the show on Hulu. WU was excellent. I really enjoyed Ego's Pauline. I LOL'd when she said she sleeps on her feet like a horse. Che's joke about the woman from McDonald's ordering a number 2 was a cheap joke, but I liked it. I did FF past Elon's cryptocurrency bit and Baby Yoda. 

The post-lockdown conversations was another thing I watched and enjoyed. And Murder Durdur. I haven't been watching the Kate Winslet show, but that wasn't necessary in order to laugh at this. There were times when I had no idea what they were saying, and it was hilarious.

I didn't watch Ooli or Gen Z, but maybe I should go back and check them out.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Melina22 said:

I have been watching the show and this sketch was so spot on I was laughing so hard I could barely hear the lines. Brilliant. 

I also laughed a lot at the Ooli sketch. Honestly, I thought it was one of the funnier SNLs in a while. 

Like many here, I'm not 100% sure why Elon is so hated. Probably just as well. But I realized a long time ago, that if I knew all the details of the personal lives of the celebrities in front of and behind the scenes of my entertainment, I'd almost never listen to music, watch TV or see movies. At this point, with a few exceptions, I figure the less I know the better. 

Eg. The other night I watched a show I really liked. I was happy to have discovered it. Then in the credits? Scott Rudin. Two weeks ago I wouldn't have known a thing about him. Now that I do, should I avoid shows he was involved in? What about treatment of young women by almost every rock band I grew up with? Should I clear my Spotify list? I just don't have the energy to take this path. 

I feel the same. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Having lived in Pennsylvania, I was laughing my ass off at the Murdur Durdur sketch.  I have never seen the show with Kate Winslet so I saw it as a parody of small town mystery drama and TV writers who get it right because they "use Google."  I loved the references to the accents, Wawa, the Schuykill, the gray skies, and Kate being "Philly forty."  

I liked how the murder board had pics of famous people from the Philly area. I saw Tina Fey and QuestLove but there may have been others. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Of the people who were most openly critical about Elon Musk, Aidy appeared solely in the cold open, having no interaction with him, while Andrew mostly appeared in small pre-tape roles that had little interaction with him, while Bowen was in one pre-tape and one live sketch. 

CO: Great Dolly song choice. The cuts between Miley and the moms/cast didn't work, but the latter was equal parts funny, awkward, and moving, as always. The Redds had my favorite joke, but Cecily's moving moment with her mom was the perfect close. Best use of a group LFNY. The bit where the audience barely reacted to the Mary Katherine Gallagher reference, which would have killed for many years, shows you how time does change, even if SNL itself tends to have eternal growing pains. I was happy Melissa and her mother got a big round of applause. 

Monologue: Is it me or did Elon sound like Darrell Hammond's Donohue impression? Went as expected - half-hearted self-deprecation and an awkward transition into the monologue format. The delivery wasn't as bad as I expected, and the involvement of his mother was interesting.

Genz: Perhaps the most brutal edition yet of "Is SNL trying to make fun of 'the kids,' making fun of people who make fun of them, or...do they have no idea?" Really rough stuff to open the night with. The most interesting part was the audience dying off. It hasn't come out who wrote this sketch yet. Some are saying Gary Richardson and Michael Che. If so, then this will be the second recent sketch where many seem to think the writers were white, and felt the material was racist (this sketch has been criticized for using so much AAVE). Neither Che nor Richardson tend to do "how do you do fellow kids" writing, so if they did write this I may take it more as trolling or mocking - and possibly a very subversive attempt to alienate viewers, like the original writing team did in 1976 when Ron Nessen hosted.

Quarantine: Some clever writing and the presence of many of SNL's best pre-tape actors helped elevate an idea that could have felt overly familiar. The Chris and Ego cousins thread was my favorite, but the very bitter Heidi and Elon segment was also surprisingly strong. I will say the Heidi Gardner segment reminded me so much of a very specific, uptown type of hard-edged writing of the late '80s. I always felt like she was suited to that era. I'm even more sure now.

Ooli: Ooli's journey as a recurrer (cut 'woman on the street' pre-tape/at-home piece/talk show bit) is fascinating; more interesting than the warmed-over Maya Rudolph sketch from 2004 here, Pete's Buscemi impression...also fascinating. Elon would have killed a Sprockets sketch. Melissa did a very good Bjork.

Murder Durdur: Kate Winslet homage aside, this reminded me of a sloppier version of Seth Meyers' Boston piece. Too repetitive, but strong performances, especially from Kate, Bowen, and Beck ("my durdur had a baby durdur!!!"). First end was weak but the Biden tag made me laugh.

Update #1: Whether it's down to the Elon factor or just being burnt out, this was one of the more hesitant nights for Jost and Che (especially Jost). Most of the jokes didn't really land and I'm not even sure how many were intended to. The best was the one million meth joke.

Update #2: Ego Nwodim giving energy to the night. She tried to get this character on in seasons 44 and 45, but it fits more now due to all the performance art pieces Heidi and Bowen have done at the desk. Very committed performance from Ego, and who can say no to a Khia reference?

Update #3: There's something horribly compelling when a host who has no comedy skills is on Update. I don't know anything about crypto, and the attempts to address it just make SNL seem like a 70 year old trying to be 20, but the piece had a squirmy fascination throughout.

Update #4: Of all the episodes, this is probably the one Baby Yoda was most suited to, but after four (!) appearances there's nothing left to say. Kyle Mooney tried very hard, and the prop steroid arms were a good idea, but...nah.

Wario: A sketch people use for years to trash SNL, and like the gen z sketch, I wonder if that was part of the reason for it (along with trolling). People who hate watch/tweet still watch/tweet. There is a fine line between deliberately bad and just bad. This doesn't find it. I did like the coin sound effect with the gavel, the stupid sound effects in general, and Kyle's work as Luigi. The ridiculous visual of Elon as Wario also worked. But the rest...eh, just too labored to get much out of in positive enjoyment or hate watch pleasure. (and between Elon's resemblance to Darrell Hammond and my thinking Grimes was Chloe Fineman, I spent the last third mostly befuddled anyway)

Chad: The Adele appearance made me feel that Pete has aged out of the Chad role. I still do, but aside from some leaden work from Miley and Elon, this was stronger and funnier than his last 3 appearances. And a perfect ending. I hope this is the final appearance for Chad

Cowboy Standoff: A suitable end for this episode. The expected "Elon the genius inventor" sketch; stumbly, unfunny, and tonally incoherent. I would be curious to know who wrote this. The best I can say is Cecily Strong gave one of her most spirited performances this season.

Final: Never hit trainwreck status, as it takes a lot for modern SNL to break out of a shell of mediocrity to hit those marks. The episode reinforced SNL 1) doesn't know what it wants to be 2) squanders opportunities to gain new fans. 3) sounds ancient when trying to seem young. Elon could have been worse, which is something, I guess, but my main takeaway from the night is there need to be a lot of changes on the way and this is the type of episode which has the Hail Mary vibe suggesting Lorne knows as much. I guess we'll see what happens.

I Don't Know IF You Think That Was The Last Show OF The Season, BUT, There Are TWO More Episodes ! !

18 hours ago, vb68 said:

And Miley opens the show singing to all the moms. When was the last time the musical guest opened the show?  This already looks like the Miley show.

Nice to see all the moms. Aidy's mom is beautiful.

The Moms were the best part of the show.  It was interesting to see how many look like their mothers with identical eyes, teeth & smiles.  Except Elon - he must look like his father.

• Love 3

It's tricky - objectively, I know Elon Musk is problematic for several reasons and this was a ratings grab/reputation buffer, but watching the show I just saw earnestness, dare I say endearing awkwardness, an understanding of what he was supposed to be doing, even if he didn't pull it all off, and yes, some amusing delivery. And the non-Musk aspects were quite funny almost across the board.

So unless I hear some behind-the-scenes horror stories about what an uncooperative tool he was, I'm gonna have to give this appearance a thumbs up.

17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

No SNL character ever stays dead. Toonces died multiple times a sketch, Ass Dan died every time he appeared, Harry Caray did his talk show despite dying earlier in the week. Chad will be back.

Two words. Mr. Bill.

Two more words. OH NOOOoooo...

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, ahisma said:

About what you’d expect from a sociopathic tech bro billionaire. Has a horrible temper and can go on firing rampages. Has run afoul of the SEC for making manipulative statements and not disclosing information to investors. Is suspected of market manipulation with his e-currency statements. Is constitutionally incapable of not being in a relationship but is very controlling of what he wants of his women. (He called his first wife emotionally manipulative when she openly grieved their baby who died of SIDS. She ended up writing the classic article “I was a starter wife.”) Called a Thai cave rescue worker a pedophile. Insisted that coronavirus was going to blow over. Forced his Tesla workers to go back into the plant during CA’s lockdown and 450 of them ended up getting the virus. Picked up the plant and moved to TX because he was still salty about health restrictions. 

I didn’t know much at all about Elon Musk until I googled him after the show. Didn’t know he was South African. Didn’t know he’d had seven sons and one died. Didn’t know his mother was a model. I only knew he was either the current #1 or #2 richest man, Tesla, Space X and a baby with an insane name.

When I googled him, I discovered all the things you’ve mentioned. Those are all hateful things which I am not minimizing. However, from reading about Steve Jobs, he was a monster, especially to his daughter Lisa. Yet I bet many of us use his products, and so do many in the cast. I wonder if he would’ve received the same negative attention if he had hosted.

Personally I have respect for those who amassed their crazy billions through their own ingenuity, whether I think they are good people or not. It’s Lorne’s and NBC’s decision whether that qualifies anyone to host. I did appreciate that he said he had Asperger’s. In my opinion he was very game for everything, even though he was awkward at times. 

I actually also like Miley’s voice, even though I’m not a fan of her persona. 

• Love 6

Speaking of "cool," I was happy to see Miley doing both sets fully dressed, top to toes.

Except channeling Madonna with the bra-y white circley thing. Had to mute during her songs. 

I liked a non-actor/comedian person hosting. And Elon says he has Aspergers so I give him props for trying something new/different even if he isn't a natural. He and his mom were cute. May, but with an "e" at the end.

Overall it was decent.

• Gen Y Hospital should have been Millennial Hospital, but OK...
  • Murder Durder - I haven't seen Mare..., but have seen many of the same type of shows, generally British murder shows and felt the reference.
  • The first meeting after COVID is so true!
  • The Icelandic show was channeling "Sprockets" from years ago. 
  • CHAD!

I was tired and signed off when Miley sang for the third time. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kristi800 said:

Gen Y Hospital should have been Millennial Hospital, but OK...

It was Gen Z Hospital, as in the generation after the Millennials. Those were most definitely not Millennials they were imitating.

1 hour ago, Kristi800 said:

Except channeling Madonna with the bra-y white circley thing. Had to mute during her songs.

It seemed to be even more, uh, anatomically correct than that. An...interesting wardrobe choice for a Mother's Day tribute.

(edited)
6 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

I liked how the murder board had pics of famous people from the Philly area. I saw Tina Fey and QuestLove but there may have been others. 

Murdur Durdur definitely felt like something Tina Fey could have written. She's done that very accent on the show- a year or two ago on the Mother's Day show with Amy and Maya. I bet that's where they (writers) got the idea.

1 hour ago, tracyscott76 said:

It was Gen Z Hospital, as in the generation after the Millennials. Those were most definitely not Millennials they were imitating.

Oh all the "bros" felt very aimed at Millennials to me. I work with enough of them who say that every other sentence. Just saying Bro. I did laugh at the insane notion that the poor woman dying was just as hard on  everyone else as her actual son.   That's some "epic" shade.

Quarantine: Some clever writing and the presence of many of SNL's best pre-tape actors helped elevate an idea that could have felt overly familiar. 

I thought this was one of the very best filmed pieces in awhile. But I very much relate to having those awkward conversations with people you haven't seen in a year. " Yeah I pretty much stayed inside the whole time. Watched even more TV than usual." then think to myself that I wish I hadn't said that. Lol

Chad: The Adele appearance made me feel that Pete has aged out of the Chad role. I still do, but aside from some leaden work from Miley and Elon, this was stronger and funnier than his last 3 appearances. And a perfect ending. I hope this is the final appearance for Chad

I always enjoy Chad. And Pete always seems to enjoy playing him. I laughed at how quick Chad got real and shut that door (barrier?) when Miley's character said she was pregnant.  But this did very much feel like goodbye.  The ending felt more emotionally resonant than a typical Chad sketch. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

I really loved Miley on Clear Blue Morning. It’s a beautiful song and I thought she did a great job.

I liked that Elon identified himself as on the autism spectrum. I think it helps people who struggle to see others succeed. I hated the Gen Z sketch.

(edited)
14 hours ago, nittany cougar said:

Northampton County here! 

One quibble with the sketch banner: It's "Jilly from Philly." Joe is from the very different Scranton! 

(Dang. My edits keep getting wiped out for some reason. Trying a third time....)

Never heard "durdur," but "wooter" was perfect! I consider  myself a pretty good mimic, but the Philly accent I cannot "get," so kudos to the Kates! 

Since it's a straight shot on Rte I-78 from NYC to Easton, PA, I'm  betting that's  where the "Welcome to Pennsylvania" sign is. 

On a(nother) personal note: I once needed antibiotics after eating a Philly-area "Wawa hoagie"! And not even over a corpse!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 2

Not the best, not the worst.  Since others have covered most of my thoughts, I will say this - it was obvious that Musk was making an effort. His overall performance was at least on par with a certain Oscar-winning actor I can think of who can't read cue cards without squinting or pronounce names.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Arkay said:

I didn’t know much at all about Elon Musk until I googled him after the show. Didn’t know he was South African. Didn’t know he’d had seven sons and one died. Didn’t know his mother was a model. I only knew he was either the current #1 or #2 richest man, Tesla, Space X and a baby with an insane name.

When I googled him, I discovered all the things you’ve mentioned. Those are all hateful things which I am not minimizing. However, from reading about Steve Jobs, he was a monster, especially to his daughter Lisa. Yet I bet many of us use his products, and so do many in the cast. I wonder if he would’ve received the same negative attention if he had hosted.

Personally I have respect for those who amassed their crazy billions through their own ingenuity, whether I think they are good people or not. It’s Lorne’s and NBC’s decision whether that qualifies anyone to host. I did appreciate that he said he had Asperger’s. In my opinion he was very game for everything, even though he was awkward at times. 

I actually also like Miley’s voice, even though I’m not a fan of her persona. 

I could have written this!  I had no idea people hated Elon Musk so much. I guess I’m kind of glad there are more reasons other than he’s a gazilionaire, because at first I was like umm everyone on that cast is a millionaire so what’s their problem??

I thought it was better that expected. The post-Covid conversations were funny and so true. “I ate indoors!”

I also like Miley. I think she has a beautiful voice when she’s not trying so hard. I love Dolly and Dolly loves Miley, so she can’t be that bad. 

• Love 3

I was expecting way worse. As a fellow Aspie I was happy to see some representation on SNL, and I would pretty much be the same way on stage live like that (comedic timing is hard to achieve when you have trouble reading the crowd). I could tell he was having a lot of fun, so even if it wasn't a flawless performance (he's not an actor after all) he obviously was enjoying himself and that came through.

5 hours ago, mostlylurking said:

I could have written this!  I had no idea people hated Elon Musk so much. I guess I’m kind of glad there are more reasons other than he’s a gazilionaire, because at first I was like umm everyone on that cast is a millionaire so what’s their problem??

I thought it was better that expected. The post-Covid conversations were funny and so true. “I ate indoors!”

I also like Miley. I think she has a beautiful voice when she’s not trying so hard. I love Dolly and Dolly loves Miley, so she can’t be that bad. 

I Really Do Not Know, But I Don't Think Any OF Them Are Millionaires! The Closest Millionaire Would Be Lorne And I Don't Completely Think He Is A Millionaire Either, But He Does Many Things And He May Have More Money Than I Thought ! I KNOW The Newest Cast Members Are Not Millionaires Like Laura Holt Or Punky Or Andrew Dismukes ! I KNOW Pete Is Not A Millionaire ! I Just Think You Are Wrong About That !

• Love 1

I agree the monologue was hella awkward- whose idea was it to do OJ jokes?- but so far the sketches are generally alright. He's there just enough to say he's there. But he's pretty inconsequential so far.

*** waves at Valerie***  I have an older brother who was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult. And when I heard Elon talking, all I could think about was the weird way my brother talked when we grew up (he's ten years old than me). Plus I have an adopted family member with Asperger's who also has the same affect. That said, I thought Elon did a pretty good job, considering he's trying to read lines written by someone else who has the emotional connection to what's written and he doesn't. I thought the monologue was funny, even with his mannerisms. 

Murder Durder was funny. The Gen Z skit was really hard to understand (I even had the close captioning on).  

**unpopular opinion*** I was NOT feeling Pauline - her delivery was funny, but I didn't think the lines were. 

Ooli was actually my favorite skit- somebody had mentioned a skit with Maya Rudolph way back. I remembered one with Natalie Portman and she was trying to introduce her boyfriend JEFF to her parents and she spelled her " Geeehh Eeeee UURRR Effff - Gueeerfff". I'm still trying to find that on you tube because that was hilarious. 

Mylie always looks like she smells like cigarettes and dirty feet, and she's got the lounge lizard act down pat. Even though she's talented, I struggle to watch her so I just FF her. 

• Love 1

Only useful update:  Miley's voice used to be higher (no surprise for someone who's been singing for so long), and I think she's still adapting to her new tone.

That said, I'd like to see what she would do with Stevie Nicks, based on vocal tone. 

On 5/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, sempervivum said:

He seemed to have a twinkle in his eye all night

Great observation!

2 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

**unpopular opinion*** I was NOT feeling Pauline - her delivery was funny, but I didn't think the lines were. 

Totally agree.

4 hours ago, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Ooli was actually my favorite skit- somebody had mentioned a skit with Maya Rudolph way back. I remembered one with Natalie Portman and she was trying to introduce her boyfriend JEFF to her parents and she spelled her " Geeehh Eeeee UURRR Effff - Gueeerfff". I'm still trying to find that on you tube because that was hilarious. 

Enjoy! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

Never heard "durdur," but "wooter" was perfect! I consider  myself a pretty good mimic, but the Philly accent I cannot "get," so kudos to the Kates! 

I’m from Chicago and I pride myself on imitating accents, I can do them all.. but I cannot nail this one.  I’m impressed with anyone who can!

• Love 1
On 5/10/2021 at 4:21 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

*** waves at Valerie***  I have an older brother who was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult. And when I heard Elon talking, all I could think about was the weird way my brother talked when we grew up (he's ten years old than me). Plus I have an adopted family member with Asperger's who also has the same affect. That said, I thought Elon did a pretty good job, considering he's trying to read lines written by someone else who has the emotional connection to what's written and he doesn't. I thought the monologue was funny, even with his mannerisms. 

Murder Durder was funny. The Gen Z skit was really hard to understand (I even had the close captioning on).  

Mylie always looks like she smells like cigarettes and dirty feet, and she's got the lounge lizard act down pat. Even though she's talented, I struggle to watch her so I just FF her. 

I Think She Spells Her Name MILEY !

On 5/9/2021 at 5:39 PM, Tdoc72 said:

I saw Rocky Balboa 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 5/9/2021 at 1:10 AM, vb68 said:

I meant to say earlier that one thing that truly got me in the Cold Open was Cecily with her mom.  Her mom smiled sweetly and told her to deliver the punchline. Cecily, about thisclose to fully bursting out crying, said she couldn't because she was too happy. That was wonderful. I remember hearing how Cecily was having such a rough time when the pandemic started. 

I'm pretty sure that was part of the set-up for Heidi to pull her mother over and ask if she could have the joke.  That is, Cecily didn't have a punchline to deliver: the whole thing was the joke.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, rollacoaster said:
On 5/10/2021 at 5:21 PM, ItsHelloPattiagain said:

Enjoy! 

Rollacoaster, you are my hero! I've looked for that skit for years!

• Love 1