Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E13: Fallen Heroes

• Start Topic

"Fallen Heroes" - Jamie faces official reprimand from Frank when he refuses to explain why he contests the arrest report of a fellow officer assaulted in the field, a rising rookie with allies in City Hall. Also, Danny and Baez clash when their lead suspect for the murder of a legendary comedy club owner is one of Danny's favorite standup comedians, and Eddie balks after she agrees to an undercover assignment for Anthony then learns his informant is Don Voorhees (James Le Gros), a former corrupt parole officer she and Jamie arrested, on BLUE BLOODS, Friday, April 30 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

The homeless woman story was the best one and definitely emotional with the reveal that Jamie was watching after her because she was a former Marine who served with Danny in Iraq and saved his life but has spiraled since. I was actually glad that she had a reunion with Danny at the end and he convinced her to get help. Jamie would have helped himself when he got in trouble if he had revealed why he was protecting her, but I guess he was keeping a promise to her

• Love 5

I think it was all well and good that Jamie was keeping his promise to the Marine because she saved Danny, but that had nothing to do with the fact that she assaulted a police officer.  Jamie not only didn't back up his partner, whom she injured, but denied his report of the injury, and took his collar. I don't blame the rookie for feeling totally humiliated and not wanting to work with Jamie again. That should never have gotten brushed over. Jamie's first obligation is to his fellow police officers and his partner officer, ESPECIALLY as a sergeant in an authority position.  I didn't like him in this episode.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I did not even understand the promise to the marine. What did he promise her?  

Not necessarily a promise, but she saved Danny’s life so it felt like he watched over her and tried to get her into rehab a few times but she was not interested. What I was confused by is what happened 7 years ago that triggered her downward spiral.  But Frank had to make a call. Jill saved his son’s life but the rookie was hurt. Imagine if he was badly injured or killed. Jamie hasn’t been that “by the book” this season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Yeah, I agree with all this.  A lot of what's on this show is drama perpetuated by people not 'using their words' and creating unnecessary tension/confusion rather than just expressing what's going on. Not sure if they are trying to perpetuate the cops' persona of stony silence?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, susannah said:

I don't blame the rookie for feeling totally humiliated and not wanting to work with Jamie again. That should never have gotten brushed over. Jamie's first obligation is to his fellow police officers and his partner officer, ESPECIALLY as a sergeant in an authority position.  I didn't like him in this episode.

Yes, his actions didn't set right with me. Why no loyalty to your fellow officer? And I imagine other officers in the precinct wouldn't trust Jamie after this as well. 

• Love 6

Story made no sense. Maybe I am missing something - why couldn't he have explained the situation including not wanting to blatantly expose whatever "secret" she was holding onto. 

Even if she didn't have ties to Danny, something could have been worked out with the DA so that an obviously very disturbed veteran was not given a long jail term.

It wasn't even helping her or the people around her to allow her to act out in the manner she was doing. She escalated pretty quickly into a ball of rage and the rookie didn't seem to do anything particularly aggressive. What if it had been a civilian who had approached her?

• Love 9

Assuming he promised her to never tell anyone that she was a marine or saved Danny or whatever, this whole thing seemed so contrived.  He seemed to get along well with his partner.  Why not just tell him that there was a reason that there was  a reason that he feels the need to protect her and could he please drop the assault charge.  that would have been much better received than being thrown under the bus.  But like everyone else, I don't know why keeping that a secret would be important to her.

And why did Frank have to see the marine tattoo to find out all this?  Wouldn't that have come up when Baker was looking into her background?  So, i guess what i'm saying was it was a pretty good story but it was incredibly contrived.

I liked Danny's story for once.  I thought it was sweet about not wanting to ruin his first date memories with Linda.  And it wasn't as if he was just not working the case at all.  He was investigating.

• Love 8
(edited)

I was very disappointed in this episode.  The writers had to be having an off day when they put this episode together.  Jamie's actions were so out of character.  He should have backed up his partner and handled the issue with the homeless ex-Marine behind the scenes.  Instead he publicly humiliated the rookie officer and then went as far as disputing his report.  Whatever Jamie's version of the incident was, it was BS and he deserved to be suspended..  Jamie is my favorite character so that added an extra layer of disappointment for me.

There were only two good things about this episode.   1) Danny showing up at the end was sweet and 2) NO ERIN STORY!!!!!

ETA:  Even though I always love seeing Anthony,  I couldn't have cared less about Eddie's little side story.  She's been getting on my nerves this season.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 5

Both Fallujah battles were in 2004, and women were not officially serving in ground combat roles at that time.  Also, in a previous episode that involved a veteran Danny said he was the only member of his unit to make it back alive.

10 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

The guy from Cash Cab!  I did not know he was an actor. 
One of the better episodes this season, I think.

I thought that was him (Ben Bailey) but wasn't sure.

According to wiki he's a licensed taxi driver and a stand-up comedian.

• Love 1

I didn't like Jamie at all this episode even after finding out the reason.

He didn't back up his rookie partner at all and Jamie was always respected now he shouldn't be in his own squad. The cop not wanting to work with him was good and other cops should now be thinking same. This plot should caddy over to see the consequences.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Sassyone said:

Yes, his actions didn't set right with me. Why no loyalty to your fellow officer? And I imagine other officers in the precinct wouldn't trust Jamie after this as well. 

What would have happened if this situation didn't involve one of the holy trinity family; like just two regular beat cops?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Both Fallujah battles were in 2004, and women were not officially serving in ground combat roles at that time.  Also, in a previous episode that involved a veteran Danny said he was the only member of his unit to make it back alive.

She wasn't in a ground combat role, I believe she said she was in a logistics or support unit working with Danny's unit. No wonder she was in a downward spiral given the loss of life

• Love 4

I didn’t follow Jamie’s reasoning and agree that it was contrived.  What I didn’t like was Sid’s black and white comment.  Didn’t we just go through an episode where we had to look at context and nuances with all the accusations against him?  Easy to be black and white when it doesn’t affect you.

• Love 2

I don't know if the incident with Jamie occured at Penn Station or Grand Central but you mean to tell me either station there were no camera's?  Why didn't Frank immediately have the footage pulled to see exactly what happened? We all know nowadays there are camera's EVERYWHERE!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I don't know if the incident with Jamie occured at Penn Station or Grand Central but you mean to tell me either station there were no camera's?  Why didn't Frank immediately have the footage pulled to see exactly what happened? We all know nowadays there are camera's EVERYWHERE!

Not only are there cameras everywhere but the rookie cop who was attacked should have had a body cam on as well.   The episode was poorly written and very disappointing.

59 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Exactly, and not only that, but there were a number of witnesses! Did no one talk to any of them? Guess not. Also, in addition to injuring the rookie officer, the woman threw that bottle of water so hard that it could have really hurt someone. I am as stumped as everyone else about what the big secret was seven years ago that caused her to become a junkie.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did someone say that something actually happened to her 7 years ago? 

I don't remember hearing that but I admit I wasn't paying much attention.

Edited by AnnA
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

Assuming he promised her to never tell anyone that she was a marine or saved Danny or whatever, this whole thing seemed so contrived.  He seemed to get along well with his partner.  Why not just tell him that there was a reason that there was  a reason that he feels the need to protect her and could he please drop the assault charge.  that would have been much better received than being thrown under the bus.  But like everyone else, I don't know why keeping that a secret would be important to her.

And why did Frank have to see the marine tattoo to find out all this?  Wouldn't that have come up when Baker was looking into her background?  So, i guess what i'm saying was it was a pretty good story but it was incredibly contrived.

I liked Danny's story for once.  I thought it was sweet about not wanting to ruin his first date memories with Linda.  And it wasn't as if he was just not working the case at all.  He was investigating.

This makes sense, but I also think that excusing her criminal actions aren't protecting her, as well as being ethically and legally wrong. It also occurred to me that as she had said multiple times that she washed out of rehab, and didn't want to try again, why would anyone think that Danny's dragging her in would be any different? People have to want to be helped. I got the idea that it was all about Danny's being the white knight that is the end all and be all, just like he always has been. Really dislike Danny.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

veteran Danny said he was the only member of his unit to make it back alive.

Jill wasn’t in his unit I think Frank said she and her team were assigned to protect Danny’s unit. Or something like that...

2 hours ago, AnnA said:

but the rookie cop who was attacked should have had a body cam

he was  when Frank  said they don’t know for sure that thr cop was assaulted,  Baker said yes they do because valle was wearing his. camera and it was on.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

he was  when Frank  said they don’t know for sure that thr cop was assaulted,  Baker said yes they do because valle was wearing his. camera and it was on.

Thank you.  I don't remember that but like I said earlier, I wasn't really paying attention.

Yes, Sake614, Baker’s reveal of the body cam footage pretty much sealed Jamie’s fate. And he was forced to admit Frank had done the right thing. Frank had no alternative but to suspend him. Given DanaK’s input above, the subtle difficulties become clear here, especially as to why Jamie could not divulge “the secret”.  It wasn’t actually Jill’s secret, it was a military operations secret (snaffu). It also explains why the (obviously PTSD afflicted) marine could not seek help at the VA. She was left to only community resources (only addressing the substance abuse) which had failed repeatedly. I can imagine the blitzstorm media field day if her story got out. 
The natural consequence of the choice the 3 Reagans made was the loss of an exceptional rookie and they regretted that, but not their decision. 

3 hours ago, Daff said:

Yes, Sake614, Baker’s reveal of the body cam footage pretty much sealed Jamie’s fate. And he was forced to admit Frank had done the right thing. Frank had no alternative but to suspend him. Given DanaK’s input above, the subtle difficulties become clear here, especially as to why Jamie could not divulge “the secret”.  It wasn’t actually Jill’s secret, it was a military operations secret (snaffu). It also explains why the (obviously PTSD afflicted) marine could not seek help at the VA. She was left to only community resources (only addressing the substance abuse) which had failed repeatedly. I can imagine the blitzstorm media field day if her story got out. 
The natural consequence of the choice the 3 Reagans made was the loss of an exceptional rookie and they regretted that, but not their decision. 

I don't understand. She wasn't there on her own, she was a Marine. Whatever she was doing or what happened there, she still was a Marine, and I don't buy for a second that she couldn't get VA help or any benefits veterans get. Why would there be any kind of media storm years later, if they found out, and how would they? Veterans' medical records are private.

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Yes, but Baker said that long after the incident happened, after several meetings about what to do about the incident.   You would think that would be the very first thing they checked. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, Daff said:

I just rewatched the episode 2X looking for the backstory.  There was NONE.   Sid did say Jill was a model citizen until 7 years ago but offered no explanation for why that changed.   There wasn't any mention of a secret military operation or snaffu.  There was no reason given for why Jamie promised to keep Jill's "secret."  We don't even know what that secret was.   This was a poorly constructed storyline with giant plot holes in it.

7 hours ago, susannah said:

I don't understand. She wasn't there on her own, she was a Marine. Whatever she was doing or what happened there, she still was a Marine, and I don't buy for a second that she couldn't get VA help or any benefits veterans get. Why would there be any kind of media storm years later, if they found out, and how would they? Veterans' medical records are private.

You're right!   There was no mention of Jill being denied help or benefits from the VA.

I can't believe how the writers messed up this storyline.   If any of these unanswered questions were addressed in the script,  they wound up on the cutting room floor.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 3

I mean, I appreciate that Jamie felt loyal to her because she saved Danny’s life. Maybe even indebted to her. But to throw his new/rookie partner under the bus like that just made no sense. And why keep it a secret? And as others have said, there was no mention of what happened 7 years ago that caused the downward spiral. falluja was a long time ago, so it couldn’t have been that. 

the only thing I’ll give her a pass on is seeking help from the VA. Could she? Of course, but she clearly didn’t want help all these years. Whatever happened, she wasn’t ready to face it. And until she was, no one could help her.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Daff said:

I think I missed something. I thought the rookie transferred to a different precinct. He is still part of the NYPD, just working in a different location. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I think I missed something. I thought the rookie transferred to a different precinct. He is still part of the NYPD, just working in a different location. 

Yes, that's correct.  Frank said that he requested a transfer out of Jamie's precinct and that he had approved the transfer.  I think Jamie should find him and apologize anyway, even if they're not still working together.  Whole thing was ridiculous.  Jamie would never throw another officer under the bus when they had done nothing wrong.  I'm hoping next week we find out he was temporarily replaced by a shape shifter.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Yes, that's correct.  Frank said that he requested a transfer out of Jamie's precinct and that he had approved the transfer.  I think Jamie should find him and apologize anyway, even if they're not still working together.  Whole thing was ridiculous.  Jamie would never throw another officer under the bus when they had done nothing wrong.  I'm hoping next week we find out he was temporarily replaced by a shape shifter.

Agree, agree. Also telling his grandfather to basically eff off, and slamming the door in his face? The real Jamie would never do that! He had definitely been taken over by an evil something or other.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, susannah said:

Agree, agree. Also telling his grandfather to basically eff off, and slamming the door in his face? The real Jamie would never do that! He had definitely been taken over by an evil something or other.

Jamie has always been my favorite so having him act so out of character really bothered me.  That's probably the main reason (although there were many) that I disliked this episode so much.   

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, AnnA said:

Jamie has always been my favorite so having him act so out of character really bothered me.  That's probably the main reason (although there were many) that I disliked this episode so much.   

He's mine too. Totally agree.

• Love 3

I liked the story about the veteran, but I don’t care for the way Jamie concealed the details from Frank and Grandpa.

I love Anthony, and I’m glad to see him get some more lines, but I’m not interested in seeing Blondie go undercover. No, thank you. If they had given her a limited role, I would have liked this episode much better.

• Love 2

Except that it was stated that she WAS in rehab several times, and she kept washing out. It didn't say whether it was VA help or not. They did address that major difficulty in an earlier season with the guy who lost his legs and was brain injured, and had been waiting for three years to get into the VA hospital, and his wife was robbing banks to get money to help him.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Neiman said:

I liked the story about the veteran, but I don’t care for the way Jamie concealed the details from Frank and Grandpa.

I love Anthony, and I’m glad to see him get some more lines, but I’m not interested in seeing Blondie go undercover. No, thank you. If they had given her a limited role, I would have liked this episode much better.

Blondie has ZERO chill, it blows my mind that she would be an ideal candidate for undercover.  And this wasn’t the first go at it, either!

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 2
(edited)

I think writers who create an episode about a "secret' and never let the viewers know it is bad writing and just plain dumb.

I expect more and didn't like this episode at all.

Edited by AnnA
10 hours ago, AnnA said:

I think writers who create an episode about a "secret' and never let the viewers know it is bad writing and just plain dumb.

I expect more and didn't like this episode at all.

I can actually see that working well in some contexts. This, however, was not one of them.