Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Karma

Re Violet, I totally disagree. For one thing, not all male vamps on this show have treated women like property. James even sided with Lettie Mae about using V to contact Tara. Even if all the male vamps were evil, that doesn't make Violet good. She may have done a few good things, but she has also treated Jason like her property the whole time, the only reason she tolerates Sookie is because she's Jason's sister and she's been bitchy to Jessica from the start. Jason had two options in dealing with Violet-revoking his invitation to his house or giving her the True Death.

As for Jason's supposedly being "in love" with Violet, Sookie's making him realize that it was just, in his words, "stockholder syndrome" was one of the few smart things she's done this season. Now that Violet knows about Jason and Jessica's affair, her willingness to punish Adalin and Wade, two innocent (if dumb) kids who had nothing to do with it, proves just how bad she is.

I guess I can't get fussed about it since pretty much every character in the show has engaged in at least some really heinous behavior over the past five, six seasons (what season is this one??)  Except Gram!  Gram never did anything bad as far as I can remember :)

• Love 3

Violet has in general been a very welcome comedic beat this season - Lots of little touches that have just had me snickering - the utterly trashed basement and then the very polite breakup letter on top of the wreckage was just so very perfect, as was Jasons reaction to it. If she goes on a killing spree that would ruin the fun train, so I am really hoping her plan is something more original than "the fury of a woman scorned". It doesn't seem that likely, but.. still, I want the show to go someplace more original. 

If next episode she is staging an intervention about the inadvisability of pseudo-incest with your soon to be step-sibling, that would just be priceless. 

... I just realized. I can't think of a single case of  Violet glamouring people. Etical objections?

• Love 1

You're right - she has been amusing. And even if she is barely putting up with Sookie, she's still putting up with her because of her ties to Jason.  Honestly just the fact that she helps Sookie at all makes her better than me.  I loathe Sookie and nothing could make me help her, not even sharing the bed of Jason Stackhouse.

Thinking back on the episode, I was a bit surprised by her reaction to Jason when he came home.  The fact that she didn't turn or kill him after he schtupped Jessica but instead tried to be what he wanted in a woman was - I don't know - sweet?  She tried which shows me that the character did care about Jason.  Had she been the horror that she seemed to be last season, she would have just killed him and been done with it.

All in all, while I'm not invested in her the way I am in Pam/Eric/Lafayette/Andy/Arlene (yeah I said it - ARLENE), I'm also not wishing for her death.  Frankly I only wish that on Bill.

I think the greatest testament to how underwhelming this episode was is the fact that it is Wednesday and this topic is STILL on page 2.

ITA.  That's a bad sign considering we're only a few episodes away from the finale.  

I can't think of a single case of  Violet glamouring people. Etical objections?

She probably has done it, but in general, I don't think she needs to.  Violet is a "kill first, ask questions later" type.  If a human made her angry, she just takes them out.  Funny enough, she could glamour Jason into ignoring/hating Jessica, but I don't think Violet wants Jason's affections that way.

I can tell that Violet is meant to be a comedic influence in the show, which would be fine on its own, but I can't condone her actions towards Jason.  She reminds me of Franklin.  Franklin could be funny as hell, but Tara was little more than his rape victim, and in no way did she deserve that.  I'm not that upset about the ownership aspect (because Eric and Bill have been pulling that shit with Sookie since day one) but the fact that Violet's relationship with Jason is based purely on fear, not affection or respect.  Bad as they were, I never thought that Bill or Eric would forcibly take Sookie if she didn't want to go along with them.  But Violet is easily swayed by her own desires, her madness, and only sees how things affect her.

OT, but can someone tell me how to name the person you quoted?  All it says is "quote" above the box.

If you want to quote someone's comment, you can click the quotation mark symbol at the bottom corner of the post. It will then give you the option of replying to that one comment, or adding other comments, so that you can respond to multiple comments in one post.

I can tell that Violet is meant to be a comedic influence in the show, which would be fine on its own, but I can't condone her actions towards Jason.  She reminds me of Franklin.  Franklin could be funny as hell, but Tara was little more than his rape victim, and in no way did she deserve that.

That's how I feel, too. As awful as Bill and Eric have been in wanting to claim Sookie as "theirs," I don't recall either of them acting like she didn't have the option of breaking up with them.

Franklin is the one who, like Violet, refused to allow the human any input as to whether they'd stay together.

• Love 2
(edited)

You're right - she has been amusing. And even if she is barely putting up with Sookie, she's still putting up with her because of her ties to Jason.  Honestly just the fact that she helps Sookie at all makes her better than me.  I loathe Sookie and nothing could make me help her, not even sharing the bed of Jason Stackhouse.

Thinking back on the episode, I was a bit surprised by her reaction to Jason when he came home.  The fact that she didn't turn or kill him after he schtupped Jessica but instead tried to be what he wanted in a woman was - I don't know - sweet?  She tried which shows me that the character did care about Jason.  Had she been the horror that she seemed to be last season, she would have just killed him and been done with it.

All in all, while I'm not invested in her the way I am in Pam/Eric/Lafayette/Andy/Arlene (yeah I said it - ARLENE), I'm also not wishing for her death.  Frankly I only wish that on Bill.

I guess we see it differently, since I took Violet's actions as more of a test... she was seeing what he was going to do, probably to gauge how she wanted to kill/hurt him and Jessica. Would he stop her and admit what happened? Would he just pretend everything is fine... would he show any guilt for what happened etc. I was surprised she was able to hold her temper and actually have sex with him without biting his dick off, but no way were things going to be just fine. If Jessica hadn't called, surely Violet was already plotting her revenge.

I haven't liked Violet from the beginning, and though at times she is awkwardly funny and has done helpful things I can't move beyond the way she has treated Jason from the beginning. While I fully realize that both Bill and Eric tricked Sookie into taking their blood, neither one of them was claiming that she belonged to them and had no choice in the matter. All of the "you are mine's" thrown around tended to be with other vampires for her protection as opposed to them actually believing that she belonged to them, no ifs/ands/buts.  She broke up with Bill like a million times in S1-2 and he wasn't forcing her or tricking her to being with him again. Though Eric was an ass about "I own your house, so I own you" he still left, he didn't stake his claim and latch on to her the way Violet did to Jason.

In Vamp Camp, she claimed Jason, drank his blood, made him drink her blood and without giving him any agency said- You are mine, and there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. And I think Jason has too fucked up of a view of love and sex that he didn't know any better until recently that his relationship was very, very wrong. Stockholders syndrome most definitely. I'm glad he finally realized when it came to Gran's ring that he didn't want Violet to have it, that she wasn't special enough to him to have it... that he didn't actually love her.

It's also interesting from the standpoint of saying that the blood can't actually make people fall in love, not really. It can make you lust after someone and heighten your feelings for someone, but it's easily exposed as not being real love. Jason realizes that now... So Violet can get off my screen any time.

Edited by Jjrmt
  • Love 3

I love the fun the writers have with Eric storyline. Last episode he ended in a great Terminator spoof and this episode was totally the Fast and Furious 3: Tokio Drift. So great. Also sorry, but I want Sarah to end on top. This is not a fairy tale and it would be so fitting if this selfish delusional person somewhat ended up winning again, maybe hallowed as the new Vampire race savior (aka the real Lilith). 

Bill, after what you did to the lawyer you don´t have to worry about your properties anymore because you are so going in a jail. Seriously, you called her, she had your papers still in her hands. I´m surprised there weren´t already FBI vans waiting when he returned. 

I don´t know why, but ever since the preacher told Willa she has to move out I suspected she will end with Sam. And now when his what´s her name is gone (I´m still surprised she survived the cellar) and he needs a new vampire to protect him I suspect I may be right. I think they would make a good couple.

Andy is so lovable and real I want him and Addylin to survive. Yeah, running out was stupid but smart move from the writers because if Violet went after Jessica I would simply don´t believe there is a chance they kill her. Addylin is relatively new and expendable but they developed her relationship with Andy enough you can´t help and worry about her. Also, isn´t she like the last 100 percent fae left? 

Yeah, that "let´s get tested, everyone" intermezzo was beyond boring. The show stopped to be relevant seasons ago so I´m not sure why they still bother with this stuff. It´s not like they will ever win anything again. 

(edited)

Also, isn´t she like the last 100 percent fae left?

Adilyn's father is Andy so she's fifty percent fae unless there's something about Andy's lineage that I'm forgetting.

It'd be interesting if her mother were to return to find out that Andy failed in keeping at least two of the girls alive as she'd requested. I always thought it was darkly funny that she seemed to sense that they wouldn't all be around for long.

ETA:

RE: Violet--I'm not sure if rescinding Violet's invitation would be enough to ensure a break up unless Jason always stayed indoors at night. How would that work with his job? I'm kind of inclined to agree that it would be tough for him to break up with her. That being said, he didn't even try so I'm not 100% convinced that he understands how screwed up and damaging a relationship like that is.

Edited by Avaleigh

Adilyn's father is Terry so she's fifty percent fae unless there's something about Andy's lineage that I'm forgetting.

It'd be interesting if her mother were to return to find out that Andy failed in keeping at least two of the girls alive as she'd requested. I always thought it was darkly funny that she seemed to sense that they wouldn't all be around for long. 

ETA:

RE: Violet--I'm not sure if rescinding Violet's invitation would be enough to ensure a break up unless Jason always stayed indoors at night. How would that work with his job? I'm kind of inclined to agree that it would be tough for him to break up with her. That being said, he didn't even try so I'm not 100% convinced that he understands how screwed up and damaging a relationship like that is.

I assume that Maurella was killed in the fairy club with the rest of the fairies.... We don't know for sure... but I wouldn't mind if we didn't see any other fae besides Niall for the rest of the season :P

If you want to quote someone's comment, you can click the quotation mark symbol at the bottom corner of the post. It will then give you the option of replying to that one comment, or adding other comments, so that you can respond to multiple comments in one post.

Thank you! I hate leaving that part blank.

So what is it with True Blood and people having sex while clothed. I don't mean a bra to cover a nipple because of a contract, what I mean is the absence of unzipping, undoing, or removing and just going at it. I mean that one time I could see Bill and Lorena; it was a hatefuck so no time to even unzip your pants there. But really, how could that blowjob really have been when she apparently did it through the jeans. Those aren't the only examples, just the ones that are most obvious. Like Lorena and Bill in the blood on the bed next to the freshly killed girl, and he loved her then.

I know they've said that sex with vampires is awesome, but I think genitals still need to touch or be touched for it to count.

Yeah. That's... what I took from this episode.

Also the Sam and his parents thing? Pretty sure that when Sookie ran into Debbie and Alcide in the woods, looking for Jason because he thought he might *shudder* turn into a werepanther they said that it had to be two shifter parents. Or maybe it was werewolf parents with the assumption that werewolves and shifters were pretty much the same. But that was tossed out when the Mikens showed up. Internal consistency, thy name is not True Blood. Either way, I'm not going back and trying to find that one scene in that season again. I won't. My liver still hasn't forgiven me for that "Book" thing yet. You'll just have to trust my stupid memory. I won't.

I really liked this episode. Maybe Hep V/HIV allusions are getting a bit too on the nose at times but we're getting some interesting drama out of this.

Why is Bill's condition accelerating at such a rapid pace compared to other vampires?

Sookie being the carrier was a bit of shocker. Sarah drinking the antidote is the type of crazy thing that someone like her would do though.

Loved Amber calling Sarah out on her horrific behaviour though.

Don't really care about Wade/Adilyn but I'm sure Violet is using them to get back at Jason/Jessica though. Nice to see Arlene snapping some sense into Andy/Holly as well.

Good trippy sequences with Lafayette/Lettie and Tara but this needs to resolved fast. What is going on there?

Nicole is right to want to get out of Bon Temps but I can see why Sam isn't so keen though.

Eric/Pam/Gus Jr - more decent scenes there. I hope Sarah's a goner and Amber gets spared, 8/10

• Love 1

Also the Sam and his parents thing? Pretty sure that when Sookie ran into Debbie and Alcide in the woods, looking for Jason because he thought he might *shudder* turn into a werepanther they said that it had to be two shifter parents. Or maybe it was werewolf parents with the assumption that werewolves and shifters were pretty much the same. But that was tossed out when the Mikens showed up. Internal consistency, thy name is not True Blood. Either way, I'm not going back and trying to find that one scene in that season again. I won't. My liver still hasn't forgiven me for that "Book" thing yet. You'll just have to trust my stupid memory. I won't.

The Mickens explanation was first, actually, in S3... and was that 2 shifter parents always have a shifter baby (this is all different from the books) but if just one parent is a shifter, there is a chance the baby will be human, but they won't know until the child is older.

The werestuff works the same and Debbie didn't contradict that in the woods in S4. The point of her and Alcide's information was that you can only be born were/shifter, you can't be turned into one. So for Debbie and Alcide together, they would for certain have a werewolf baby if they had a baby... which is probably why Debbie didn't add a caveat about 1 human 1 were parents because that didn't apply to her situation or what Sookie was asking.

Emma- daughter to a werewolf and a shifter- she was going to be one or the other, the family just didn't know which one she was going to be until she shifted. So it's been consistent.

So what is it with True Blood and people having sex while clothed. I don't mean a bra to cover a nipple because of a contract, what I mean is the absence of unzipping, undoing, or removing and just going at it. I mean that one time I could see Bill and Lorena; it was a hatefuck so no time to even unzip your pants there. But really, how could that blowjob really have been when she apparently did it through the jeans. Those aren't the only examples, just the ones that are most obvious. Like Lorena and Bill in the blood on the bed next to the freshly killed girl, and he loved her then.

I know they've said that sex with vampires is awesome, but I think genitals still need to touch or be touched for it to count.

Yeah. That's... what I took from this episode.

I had commented on a previous episode when Violet & Jason had sex on a car, & you could clearly see Violet was wearing black panties the whole time. I wonder if there is something in the actress's contract about keeping some clothes on? We've seen Jason naked & going at it before so we know it's not him, it just seems like in the scenes between Jason & Violet they keep more clothes on than would be realistic.

I had commented on a previous episode when Violet & Jason had sex on a car, & you could clearly see Violet was wearing black panties the whole time. I wonder if there is something in the actress's contract about keeping some clothes on? We've seen Jason naked & going at it before so we know it's not him, it just seems like in the scenes between Jason & Violet they keep more clothes on than would be realistic.

She was full topless in the season finale last year... or at least her breast were shown even though I think she had like an open shirt or something on...

But.. I think it's more the matter of not showing genitalia... we weren't going to see her labia during the car sex scene, so they would have just made it look shadowy/ had the skirt shoved up... and they aren't going to show RK's erect penis...

But I do agree they could have made a better effort to leave a moment for things like unzipping pants etc... I do think in the Bill scenes with Lorena they at least show him reaching for his pants... accept for the one with Salome in the basement? hallway... that one was a little ridiculous... I will have sex with you through your dress and these amazing track pants!

Gosh, I learned something about myself while watching this episode. A good-looking Asian guy with a Southern drawl makes me feel all gooey inside.

on a completely shallow (and not really productive) note, THIS 100%. that's all i could think during that scene. 

• Love 1