Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Karma

(edited)

I know this is a small thing but I just need to get it off my chest because IT IS KILLING ME.  Can we please stop referring to Sarah's family as Newlins?  Sarah married into the Newlin family.  Her parents and sister would have a different surname.

And by "we" I mean everyone.  Even all of the show recaps on all the sites call them that.

I know.  I have too much time on my hands.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 6
Legally, he's considered dead. So there's nothing he can do with regards to his property

If he's considered legally dead for the purposes of disposing of his property, how can he legally own any property in the first place?  Oh show.

• Love 6

If he's considered legally dead for the purposes of disposing of his property, how can he legally own any property in the first place?  Oh show.

This show makes my head hurt from the inconsistencies.

It's one thing to think that living for centuries might make you crazy, but TB doesn't really do that. Crazy vamps like Violet are characterized as having been crazy from the beginning. So how do they survive so long?

I may not have explained that clearly.  I don't think Violet is insane because of her era, she's insane because that's her nature.  Saying that's how she needed to be back then is an excuse because her era is long gone.  She just can't (or won't) evolve with the times.  

The Jessica/Jason thing gets dumber every time I think about it.  Sookie was right; Jessica could have just called her instead of using Jason as a liasion.  How about "Sookie, you need to come over right away.  It's about Bill."  Simple as that.  Like Sookie wouldn't drop everything if something had happened to Bill.  Using Jason instead was so unnecessary and serves only to fuel the Violet-on-a-rampage plot.

• Love 2

Gosh, I learned something about myself while watching this episode. A good-looking Asian guy with a Southern drawl makes me feel all gooey inside.

Dumb as Nicole is, I can't blame her for wanting to leave Bon Temps.  Sam is the only reason she's staying.  But the place is just insane and they have a child to consider.

What's she going to do if child turns out to have inherited the shape-shifter gene?

How come nobody slut-shames Jason?

"Boys will be boys."

• Love 5
(edited)

In the books it is said over and over again that a shifter can only be produced when 2 full blooded shifters mate and even then it is only the first born who can shift.  No other children produced can be shifters.

Of course the writers threw that totally out the window when they brought on the utterly gross Mickens Clan so .. yeah, Sam and Nicole's spawn will probably be a shifter.

Edited by ChlcGirl
(edited)
The Jessica/Jason thing gets dumber every time I think about it.  Sookie was right; Jessica could have just called her instead of using Jason as a liasion.  How about "Sookie, you need to come over right away.  It's about Bill."  Simple as that.  Like Sookie wouldn't drop everything if something had happened to Bill.  Using Jason instead was so unnecessary and serves only to fuel the Violet-on-a-rampage plot.

Sookie threw her phone away in the forest weeks ago, it's actually why Jason had to come over to the house to tell her. He mentioned that her mailbox was full. The funny thing is, ever since she had that super childish tantrum, there's been a point in each episode where it's come back to bite her somehow. Karma indeed.

Edited by DigitalCount
  • Love 4

Sookie threw her phone away in the forest weeks ago, it's actually why Jason had to come over to the house to tell her. He mentioned that her mailbox was full. The funny thing is, ever since she had that super childish tantrum, there's been a point in each episode where it's come back to bite her somehow. Karma indeed.

At this point, I'm expecting it to be a running gag for the rest of the season... someone tries to call Sookie and can't since her phone is missing... although was there anything last week, since it was just the party?

But otherwise every other episode has had a clear instance of someone trying to call Sookie's phone :)

• Love 1
(edited)

People who have lived through the aids epidemic, coming across a new epidemic that kills a certain group of people- it doesn't seem all that far fetched that they would use the same sort of imagery and slogans that have been used before. 

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with just using the slogan ("Silence = True Death") though I could imagine other people would, the pink triangle thing really bugged me. That's a symbol that has a historical meaning specifically for gays. It's like the writers don't trust the audience to understand the reference without being explicitly led to it.

I think most of the old vamps probably do become crazier over time: Russell, Lorena, Violet, Franklin, all the Authority vamps. I think the Godric line is the exception relatively. Vampire life seems ideal if you're crazy and violent. It's how you survive. Humans have not been an issue for them until recently. 

Yes, but remaining secret ("in the coffin") has also been an important part of survival until recently. That's not something crazy and violent people are good at.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

The legal stuff drove me crazy too.  Bill's not legally allowed to name a beneficiary to his estate, when you can name anyone.  They tried to make it make sense because she said he was already dead when he drew up the first will.  Okay, so dead guys can't draw up a will.  The wedding idea is a good one too, can a dead guy get married?  Probably not in LA.   But obviously a dead guy can enter into contracts.  He would have had to have been able to sign the book deal. So my idea was to sell it to her. He could sell her the house and land and whatever else for $1, draw up a bill of sale, and it's hers.  She might be tied up in the courts for years, but that is only if the state finds out about Bill's true death.

• Love 2

Yes, but remaining secret ("in the coffin") has also been an important part of survival until recently. That's not something crazy and violent people are good at.

I guess they had to learn to be secretive, crazy, and violent to survive. Back in S1, Bill made the Rattrays place look like a tornado had hit it so they all probably know a couple of those tricks. The vamps can also glamour and are fast & strong. I can see how Violet would have survived this long just like Russell did up until news anchor gate. 

• Love 1

True, but while Adalin may not look like a baby, she still is one, so while she did consent to having sex with Wade, In Andy's mind she's not even old enough to even  think about sex, much less have it, especially with her future stepbrother. As for Wade, given that Andy had just caught him fucking his daughter in his house, Wade and Holly should be thankful that Andy didn't castrate Wade-or kill him.

It depends on whether Adilyn is supposed to have the maturity of an infant, or the maturity of an 18-year-old girl.

On one hand, she appears to have the judgment of an infant. But on the other hand, so does Wade, and half the population of Bon Temps.

And it appeared that Adilyn and her sisters magically gained life experience, in addition to magically aging. When they physically became adults, they suddenly knew how to drive, they understood the concept of "partying," and they were interested in boys.

I think the writers want us to believe that Adilyn is an adult who's able to make her own romantic decisions, but they also want to play the "she's so inexperienced, of course she'll do dumb stuff" card, whenever it's convenient for the plot for her to be dumb.

• Love 4
(edited)

Violet's particular brand of crazy actively counts as a survival strategy. No trail of bodies, a minion to do day time errands, an exuse to fit into a new community smoothly... I'm not surprised she has outlived nearly all vampires from her era. The one who's continued survival is sort of surprising is Erik, because given his habits and personality it is pretty obvious people and vampires must have tried to off him so many times it strains credibility none of them got lucky. 

I just figured out why I like Violet. She's nuts, yes, but unlike most of the rest of the cast, she does not appear to be missing 20 IQ points.

........ This is more thought that the writers put into it I guarantee you, but.. "Rapidly ageing faries use their telepathy to absorb skills values and cognitive patterns from the community in which they are located - so that they will fit in, and be armed for survival. Unfortunately for Adilyn and her sisters, the community they were in at the time suffers from acute lead poisoning,"

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 5

About Bill's legal status- wasn't the idea that the government is pulling new tricks to take advantage of Hep-V and absorb the property left behind by dead vampires?  So I suppose it's not supposed to make sense as to how he can own property in the first place, or make contracts, because it's all in flux and hasn't gotten to any kind of conclusion yet.  That's what I'm taking from what the lawyer said before she died. 

About Adilyn- I figured she's supposed to be a bit of an idiot because she's a fairy.  I thought it was a trait of their species or something, that they weren't all that bright, though I probably made that up in my head because Sookie is often...not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

• Love 3
(edited)
Legally, he's considered dead. So there's nothing he can do with regards to his property

OK, here's what has been bugging me the most about all of this.  He's dead and wanting to will his property to someone and they say he can't because he is dead.  Well, the person he wants to will this all to is Jessica who is also dead!  doesn't this somehow either cancel everything out or make it OK or just keep things the same?  If it is on record that he owns property, than why doesn't he just sign things over to her now while he is "alive" and she will be owner upon his true death anyway?  I don't understand this.  Nobody ever flinched at the fact that the dead guy wanted to leave his property to a dead girl.  Sigh...

Edited by LadyJaney

In the books it is said over and over again that a shifter can only be produced when 2 full blooded shifters mate and even then it is only the first born who can shift.  No other children produced can be shifters.

I thought Sam was half Shifter himself.

This is the first episode that I was completely meh on.  To me the problem with the social justice metaphor of gay rights is that vampires are evil and only out for themselves.  They have a moral code that is completely distinct from the humans they sprang from.  There was no reason for Bill to kill the lawyer (despite his frustrations), is extortion worthy of death now?  Yet, he is the sympathetic character.  

I can actually understand why Bill killed her. He thinks (he doesn't know about the magical Sarah cure) he is going to be dead in a couple of days, he has nothing to lose. She is obviously not a good person & she is stupidly trying to blackmail him into paying her unreasonable amounts of money when he is dying. I would kill her too.

I only watched this episode because I mod this forum.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Every man whom Sookie has been involved with has either ended up dead (Alcide, Benlow), dying (Bill, Eric) or in the "Friend Zone" (Sam). IMO, 

I'm really praying for that whole "friend zone" thing.

• Love 2

OK, here's what has been bugging me the most about all of this.  He's dead and wanting to will his property to someone and they say he can't because he is dead.  Well, the person he wants to will this all to is Jessica who is also dead!  doesn't this somehow either cancel everything out or make it OK or just keep things the same?  If it is on record that he owns property, than why doesn't he just sign things over to her now while he is "alive" and she will be owner upon his true death anyway?  I don't understand this.  Nobody ever flinched at the fact that the dead guy wanted to leave his property to a dead girl.  Sigh...

I guess that's what most of those vampires in that office wanted to do anyway? So is she just telling one vampire after another that she can't help them? unless they pay her a bunch of money and then she can 'move them to the front of the line' whatever that means... probably extorting them for however much money they had...  But in the end, she probably wasn't actually getting anything done, since they are all dead... tying all of their cases up in court for years.  Like others have pointed out, he couldn't change all of his assets over to Jessica flat out... since he's dead and can't own property... but he can adopt her? That also makes no sense... so I think the lawyer was just making things up to score some cash from vampires who would probably be dead before they realized what a fraud she was. 

While I can't condone killing people, since this is fiction, I'm kind of on Bill's side in this (especially when we've seen across the board that most vampires don't really have issue with killing people who are doing what they consider 'bad' things or who are in the way, in addition to the vampires who kill just because they can) and being that all the vamps are murderers, I'm okay with letting this one slide.  Hopefully he saved the rest of those vampires in the waiting room some wasted time sitting around to meet with someone who can't actually help them.

I thought Sam was half Shifter himself.

I don't think you can be "half shifter" in the sense of shifting... but yes, sam has one shifter parent and one human parent.

The TB rules state that there is a chance either direction if one parent is a human (this holds for werewolves, too) but if both parents are shifters, then the child will definitely be a shifter.  That's why Alcide didn't want to have babies with debbie, because they would be werewolves and he didn't think that was a good life for a child or something...

I know Holly wanted to defend her son but Andy was dead on correct to get pissed off about what happened and to chase the kid out of the house. Good for you, Andy.

Meanwhile both their kids are complete morons. "Let's just makeout in an old abandoned fort at night when no one knows where we are. It's totally safe! Let's listen to the vampire and leave our phones behind. We're so smart!" Dumbasses.

I guess the combo of the fairy blood and the Hep V is why it's advancing so quickly in Bill?  Still it's so random.

• Love 4

No good deed goes unpunished.

I'm really praying for that whole "friend zone" thing.

For the record, I like being here with you guys. I was going to watch this last season any way, but I am struggling with the episodes just like some of you. 

I felt sorry for Sam this episode. He's done his best by his town and his baby mama. Nicole should at least keep in touch. 

• Love 1

I keep reading "shitter" and that's not quite the same thing..

On the episode: What's bugging me more than anything is how immune the vamps are to Adilyn. She's supposed to be absolutely irresistible to vamps. If Erik couldn't stop himself from eating Claudine, Violet shouldn't be able to smile and have a conversation with her, in a treehouse, with hardly any witnesses. (ha! I misspelled her name "violent" at first - how appropriate!)

They've said she's in danger, but they're not showing the danger by letting her prance around all over the place and attend parties full of vampires.

• Love 3

About Bill's legal status- wasn't the idea that the government is pulling new tricks to take advantage of Hep-V and absorb the property left behind by dead vampires?  So I suppose it's not supposed to make sense as to how he can own property in the first place, or make contracts, because it's all in flux and hasn't gotten to any kind of conclusion yet.  That's what I'm taking from what the lawyer said before she died. 

That's how I interpreted it, too. In that it's not supposed to make sense.

Some language was recently slipped into a Louisiana bill, and signed into law, that said, "If a dead person signs a contract, it's invalid, and vampires count as dead people."

That should have all sorts of crazy legal implications, but the government isn't interested in most of them. They're just using it as an excuse to say, "It turns out that property you were promised in the dead vampire's will doesn't actually go to you - the will is no good, because it was written by a dead person. So it goes to us, ha ha."

If the courts uphold that legislation, the government could do all sorts of other sinister things with it, too. But right now, they're just using it to invalidate wills.

As for whether vampire-vampire marriage is legal or not, I don't think the series has ever said (although I could be forgetting something.) We know that vampire-human marriage was legal in Vermont, but I don't think we know anything else. So my guess is that they've decided that vampire-vampire marriage isn't recognized anywhere.

• Love 1

Is Jason really competent to make decisions? I always figured Jason really was only written into a deputy role so that Ryan Kwanten could have more wardrobe than skivvies and a sock. Jason couldn't even figure out very quickly that he didn't really like Violet, much less love her. Sookie's rather belated homily that he shouldn't be with someone he's afraid of still hasn't sunk in, since he still hasn't figured out he doesn't really have a choice. Jessica is supposed to be the smart one, too smart for a guy like Hoyt. It's Jessica's fault. 

Happily for Adilyn, Violet dragged her into her revenge plot when she secured her fairy blood supply, of a much higher quality too. Sookie and the rest never cared if she tyrannized Jason but people like Adilyn. Violet is doomed.Since this is a foregone conclusion they need to get this over with quickly. Story tellers maintain suspense. 

• Love 1

ChlcGirl,

Sam's dad is just human. I have not read the books, but on the show he is human. Maybe I missed what was meant a page or so ago when it was stated that only a shapeshifter and shapeshifter can make a shapeshifter. (Or maybe I made the post I thought I saw up. LOL.)

(edited)

I need help remembering: is the Magister still alive? or did he get wiped out when the Authority collapsed? We haven't seen him in the present, right? only the Bill trial that produced Jessica back in season 1, and the recent flashback to 1986...

I am Team Violet all the way. I know I am not supposed to like her but I find her fascinating. The actress is doing a lot with with the subtext.

Edited by annsterg

I need help remembering: is the Magister still alive? or did he get wiped out when the Authority collapsed? We haven't seen him in the present, right? only the Bill trial that produced Jessica back in season 1, and the recent flashback to 1986...

We saw him in the present. Russell killed the Magister back in S3. 

• Love 1

ChlcGirl,

Sam's dad is just human. I have not read the books, but on the show he is human. Maybe I missed what was meant a page or so ago when it was stated that only a shapeshifter and shapeshifter can make a shapeshifter. (Or maybe I made the post I thought I saw up. LOL.)

Yes, I know on the show that his father is human. I only said that though in the books they make a point of driving home that only two shifters can produce another shifter, the TB writers obviously threw that idea in the shitter.

When I said that I didn't think one could be half a shifter I meant the actual mechanics of shifting. One either is a shifter or not. It isn't like Sookie where her quarter fae blood makes her yummy, but less yummy than Adilyn who is half fae. I don't think shifting lessens or is stronger depending on the parentage.

• Love 1

I'm not sure why I try to make sense out of this show but here's something that bugged me:

Nicole has this speech about how she wants them to leave because crazy shit doesn't happen in other towns and I'm just like what? Did they not devote half an episode this season to showing that other towns were indeed being hit and in some cases being wiped out entirely? When Bill was in the lawyer's waiting room they specifically had a woman reading the paper talking about another town that was recently attacked by hep-v vampires. What makes Nicole think that her hometown will necessarily be a place that remains untouched?

In real life I would not be okay with Bill killing that horrible lawyer but in TB world it worked for me. In fact I almost thought it was unrealistic that a woman who would take that kind of attitude with her clients wouldn't have been attacked and killed long before Bill got there. There was something odd about her smugness too when she brought up the governor's death. Does she know Bill killed him? If so that's even more reason why it was perplexing that she didn't have security inside of her actual office. We've even seen an example of a vampire being able to quickly remove a human's anti-glamour contacts. It just made no sense that she didn't better protect herself given her job and her overall nature. I think I cheered over the death too because I was glad those other vampires wouldn't have to waste their little remaining time waiting on a person who had no real intention on helping any of them.

• Love 1

I'm not sure why I try to make sense out of this show but here's something that bugged me:

Nicole has this speech about how she wants them to leave because crazy shit doesn't happen in other towns and I'm just like what? Did they not devote half an episode this season to showing that other towns were indeed being hit and in some cases being wiped out entirely? When Bill was in the lawyer's waiting room they specifically had a woman reading the paper talking about another town that was recently attacked by hep-v vampires. What makes Nicole think that her hometown will necessarily be a place that remains untouched?

I don't think she was talking about the craziness of people being killed left-and-right by Hep-V-positive vampires. I think she was talking more about the "craziness" of throwing a party after someone dies.

You'd think she'd be bothered by the much crazier decisions she's seen - like her significant other's decision to put everyone in town in danger by encouraging everyone to party at a non-residence at night.

I always figured Jason really was only written into a deputy role so that Ryan Kwanten could have more wardrobe than skivvies and a sock.

In that case...worst. decision. ever.

• Love 4

The waiting room was definitely hell... while Bill's move in killing the lawyer was impulsive, I can see his frustration and the fact that she wasted his whole day when he might not have many days left at the rate his infection is moving. It was also nice in the sense of "slimy lawyers" since we can't go around killing the ambulance chasers in real life. The vamp he staked was her security, who somehow were afraid they could get hepV via droplets

Nice! Just like HIV back in the day, how did I miss that???

^^^Yes, that kind of farcical humor, plainly not meant to be taken seriously, can be very entertaining. It did have the drawback of being inserted into an HIV parable for which we were supposed to feel emotion. Take seriously, don't take seriously, take seriously. I guess I'm not that mentally flexible.

• Love 2

A few things I wondered about while watching:

1. Why doesn't Jessica have the bleeds? She's been up during daylight for awhile now. Several hours in fact, since it took that long for Sookie to get her results back.

2. Did TB ever address the "why didn't Jessica heal" question?

3. Why is Violet going after Adilyn as revenge on Jason? Or if it's just that tasty fairy blood, why now? And why take them elsewhere to do it, when she can attack her in the treehouse (which is presumably secluded)?

4. Bill wrote a book on Hep-V? Was this mentioned before now?

1. Why doesn't Jessica have the bleeds? She's been up during daylight for awhile now. Several hours in fact, since it took that long for Sookie to get her results back.

3. Why is Violet going after Adilyn as revenge on Jason? Or if it's just that tasty fairy blood, why now? And why take them elsewhere to do it, when she can attack her in the treehouse (which is presumably secluded)?

1. Not sure. Wasn't paying too much attention on that though.

2. Yes, two episodes before the attack at Fangtasia, James told Bill that Jessica hadn't fed for ten weeks. That's why she didn't heal. 

3. She wants to hurt Jessica probably. Hurting and threatening the last fairy family Jessica destroyed is one way. 

4. Bill wrote a book between the seasons where he talked about what happened last season, at the death camp and all that other stuff. He "claimed to not be an asshole anymore" in Eric's words. Hehe.

1. They seemed to be minimizing the impact of Vamps staying up during the day. I seemed to remember in S2 it was quite debilitating.

2. Yes, she wasn't feeding, for months. Once she fed off Lafayette, she healed.

3. I am confused too. At first I thought Violet made a mistake and thought it was Adilyn that was with Jason. I hope they explain why she went after Adilyn, who had nothing to do with it, rather than just waving it off. (Who am I kidding?)

4. Yes, at the end of the last season he wrote a book on what happened

There was blood visibly coming from Jessica's ear when Sookie came back from her test and Jessica hugged her.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it's Violet's way of getting Jessica to come to her. Jessica has vowed to protect Adilyn and will go to the ends of the earth to do so.  Once she knows Violet has her, she'll be there and then...  Jessica (and Jason through Jess) is definitely her endgame target!

Edited by onthebrink03

Why doesn't Jessica have the bleeds

I actually thought this episode showed what this season's Hep V plotline could have been if they'd done it correctly instead of going for the stupid Zombie/Katrina mashup and put some proper Season 1/2/3 thought into the consequences of a disease like this in a True Blood universe. There's a lot to be said about 'The Other' here and some of the dialogue between Holly, Andy and Arlene was old-school True Blood about double standards and sexuality and the kind of things this show used to have to say before they decided people were watching for the nakedness and sex and they didn't have to worry about plot anymore.

But I am damn tired of them throwing basic mythology out the window all the time. Almost none of these vampires had the bleeds (I think I saw a little of it coming out of Bill's ears but that's it), they were all up all day in a kind of Buffy-esque "not direct sunlight" kind of way. It's one thing for them to make the decision not to sleep but it takes serious effort and causes significant bleeding - it's another thing for e.g. Violet to have gone to sleep and then be woken up just because Jason got a phone call. That's just bullshit.

I'm done being angry at the Bill/Sookie shit (I loved Eric in a way I guess but not like Bill - fuck you, writers). At least we didn't have any dumbass Civil War flashbacks.

• Love 4

There was blood visibly coming from Jessica's ear when Sookie came back from her test and Jessica hugged her.

Yeah I saw this too.  I always look for it, but especially with Jess it seems to be quite hard to spot, presumably because Deborah Ann Woll has red hair or something.

We don't know yet why Violet is after Adilyn - my guess (no spoilers here) is that she'll kill Adilyn, and glamour Wade into thinking that Jessica did it.

And then Wade will tell Andy that Jessica did it, leading to a confrontation where Andy has to decide whether to take Jessica's word for it that she wasn't involved.

• Love 1

Even though Violet is supposed to be the bad guy now, I couldn't help but find her little "Hiya!" (after superspeeding up to the treehouse) cute and hilarious.

What do y'all want to bet that all this contrived "no you can't just name Jessica in your will" business is there just so Sookie will marry Bill so that she can take care of Jessica after Bill dies?

• Love 1

business is there just so Sookie will marry Bill so that she can take care of Jessica after Bill dies?

I thought "if he can't leave it to Jess because she's a vampire then leave it to Sookie and ask her to give it to Jess". He knows she will. He doesn't have to marry her. He can just name her. It's his will! And if the issue is that he can't will it away because he's dead then he should put his assets in a human's name (i.e. Sookie's) like Eric did with Sookie's house just before he left.

I actually get the feeling that the writer just wanted to make this big point about rights ( she said as much in an interview, relating it to what she's been through with her partner) and it might not actually be revisited in a meaningful way.

If a Bill is dead and can't sign a contract, marriage isn't going to be legal either. Human/ vamp marriage was only legal in Vermont and that was before Russel ripped out that guys spine... I don't think vampire rights have advanced in any way since then.

(edited)

I think the greatest testament to how underwhelming this episode was is the fact that it is Wednesday and this topic is STILL on page 2. 

I also liked Violet's peppy "Hiya!" when she joined the teens.  I don't know .. I can't really dislike her that much.  What she did to Jason was really not much different than what the male vampires do to women.  And actually Jason did have one recourse: he could have rescinded Violet's invitation to his house if he really wanted rid of her.  But up until the last few episodes, he thought himself in love with her.  Sure she is a bit much but she did protect Jason and Sookie and tried to help with the Warlow thing last season, the townspeople this season, and in general.  She isn't all bad.

Edited by ChlcGirl
  • Love 1