Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: The Book of Reunification: Chapter One: Revelations

• Start Topic

Black Lightning sends Gambi an SOS. Meanwhile, Lynn finds herself in some serious trouble.

The episode was written by Jamila Daniel and directed by Benny Boom.

Airdate: 5/3/2021

4.jpg

Edited by Trini

Beginning of the end! The Pierces make if through their cliffhangers from last week . . . except for Lynn, who is still in jail. Thankfully, there's no huge revelation about her very personal ordeal. Nope, she's just framed for all sorts of crimes relating to her work. Was her bond $3 million? I think that means she's in deeper shit than her husband, even with Jefferson's reputation getting shredded.

No matter what she looks like, Jenn will still Jenn. Tonight, that meant electrocuting herself in order to jumpstart her abilities. If I remember correctly (and that might be doubtful), that would lead to her reigniting the abilities of everyone else in Freeland . . . but yeah, still reckless as fuck.

I thought Khalil/Painkiller (Painkhalil?) was back in Freeland last week . . . but he still has his poison touch. It's nice that he/they is/are having fun with dealing with flunkies, especially the no-selling of the last guy's blows.

As much as I can agree with Grace about Freeland looking out for itself . . . they still need the Pierces. I don't know how much more dire things would be without them.

I forgot Tobias had superiors. There could have been some background into The 100 at any time in the series. This is why I'm kinda/sorta hoping Tobias gets transferred to Gotham. What's one more criminal organization to annoy Team Batwoman? And Tobias could bring the art with La La as Han Solo.

• Love 1
(edited)

Definitely felt like they were setting up some final personal drama before the end, but some of it felt kind of rushed and unexpected.  Lynn's lawyer is a former boyfriend of hers that seems to still hold a candle for and leading to Jefferson getting jealous?  Grace is starting to wonder if she and the Pierces are better off without their powers since they're always getting in danger and can never have a normal life (to be fair, it's true that they couldn't even have a proper honeymoon with chaos)?  None of these are really bad ideas for the most part (well, except I've never been a fan of the whole "returning ex" thing), but it feels weird to introduce all of this near the end.

Still think it's a bit ridiculous that it sounds like so many in Freeland believe that Jefferson is truly crooked.  Really feel like there would be more support/defensive for him.

Lauren finally finds out that Gambi has been spying on her, but thankfully only goes as far as to pulling a gun on him, before calming back down to hear him out.

Khalil continues to get his Painkiller on and John Wick everyone that is standing in his way.  Like how they continue incorporate Philky as well.

I so hope Tobias moving cemented Lala into his place is going to backfire on him if/when Lala finally gets out somehow.

I know he's a mass murder trying to gain membership into an assassin club, but Ishmael's still pretty cool once you look past all of that! 

At least Jennifer got her powers back!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Definitely felt like they were setting up some final personal drama before the end, but some of it felt kind of rushed and unexpected.  Lynn's lawyer is a former boyfriend of hers that seems to still hold a candle for and leading to Jefferson getting jealous?

I think impotence is one of the themes this season. I'm not talking the obvious kind . . . it's when you feel helpless and you can't make things right on your own. I don't think that applies to Jeff''s powers cutting out on Ishmael, though.

• Love 2

Really, show? A few episodes until the series is over and y'all have Jefferson insecure about Lynn's college ex?? If them being happy for a minute is too much, they could at least have them be relieved that each other is okay after they both went through traumatic experiences. There's enough stuff going on that they don't need this interpersonal drama. I don't understand why they don't let Jeff and Lynn be solid for more than an episode.

Okay; so now we're finally seeing how Tobias' plans are all coming together. Almost forgot about the Shadow Board. But now that just reminds me that Lady Eve isn't around. :(  But I need the Pierces to have their own plans to stop Tobias. I mean, even Khalil has got his own thing going on.

Oh man, some of these other superheroes could really use a Gambi! He comes in handy.  LOL - I think this is the only show that has addressed getting out of those magic supersuits.

Well, I guess Gambi's double-crossing had to be found out sometime. I feel like MonaVista Lady (yep, still don't know her name) let him off pretty easy, though; despite the gun in his face.

Freeland is probably always going to need superheroes, but I can see Grace's points about maybe things would be better without superpowers.

Oh Jen. Just because your stupid plan worked doesn't mean you're getting a pass for stupid plan. Emotional speech, or not. It's probably too much too ask for her to be more levelheaded before the show is done, but I'd still like to see that.

So did some of Jen's energy(?) stay in the ionosphere? Is that what they were showing at the end?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I thought Khalil/Painkiller (Painkhalil?) was back in Freeland last week . . . but he still has his poison touch.

I think all his powers are technologically derived, from his cybernetic spine and the poisonous spinal fluid to the programming the ASA did to him.

I still don't quite understand how Jenn can jumpstart her powers when the emitter is still running, but maybe it's something unique to her and her generator ability? Also, shouldn't she have just regained her powers in full once she was out of range of the emitter?

The more I see Ishmael on-screen, the more convinced I am that he was either given direction or chose to base his character on Julius Carry's Shogun Sho-Nuff. I was kind of joking when I first said it, but he really has the same facial expressions and vocal patterns.

• Love 1

I totally forgot that Tobias was trying to get in with some shadowy group of shadows, including a Russian guy dressed like a Maester from Game of Thrones and a guy dressed like a Texas oil baron draped in a Native American blanket, so it was pretty funny watching them be like "well good job Tobias but bye" when it comes to him getting to stand on one of the special circles. Tobias has always had delusions of grandeur, he thinks of himself as this criminal mastermind when he is really just a low rent crook with a penthouse. 

Was that Looker we saw for a second on the screen? I thought we all decided to pretend that that whole ridiculous plot never happened. 

Is Grace going to end up taking the meta cure that everyone is always going on about on The Flash now? The fight between Grace and Anissa was basically a rehash of the fights that Jefferson and Lynn tend to have about having powers. Jefferson thinks of his and the girls powers as being a part of them and not using them is denying a part of themselves while Lynn think that a normal life is better than having powers. I cant blame Grace for not wanting powers anymore, her life is pretty much a never ending stream of misery and she has just now gotten her powers somewhat under control, but Anissa will never want to give up her powers or being a superhero. She has never been a "I want a normal life" kind of hero, she loves having powers and would never want to get rid of them. 

Only a handful of episodes left, and we have to spend it watching Jefferson being really petty about Lynn's ex boyfriend showing up? I guess its a part of the greater theme of Jefferson feeling impotent when it comes to protecting his city and family, but this is just getting sad. Yeah, do you have a law degree we are unaware of Jeff? How exactly were you handling things? 

Good thing Gambi thought to add extra features to Jenn's outfit, that's Gambi for you, always thinking of backup plans. He can even show up with dinner at just the right time to interrupt Lynn and Jeff's most recent argument. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Was that Looker we saw for a second on the screen? I thought we all decided to pretend that that whole ridiculous plot never happened. 

Yeah, it was her. Of all the characters to bring back....

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Only a handful of episodes left, and we have to spend it watching Jefferson being really petty about Lynn's ex boyfriend showing up? I guess its a part of the greater theme of Jefferson feeling impotent when it comes to protecting his city and family, but this is just getting sad. Yeah, do you have a law degree we are unaware of Jeff? How exactly were you handling things? 

I mean, they already have issues; why are they adding more issues this late in the game??

• Love 1
On 5/4/2021 at 12:12 AM, Trini said:

Freeland is probably always going to need superheroes, but I can see Grace's points about maybe things would be better without superpowers.

Yeah, living in constant terror while the gangs of Freeland, Tobias, and since they're now on one Earth there's all the crap going on in Supergirl, Flash, and Batwoman that might come knocking at any moment too, run around doing whatever they want and killing whoever they want while the Pierce family is helpless to do anything about it or even protect themselves since they don't have superpowers sounds SO much better.

I've always hated that idea of "we have superpowers therefore our lives suck" since in every case that that's ever been brought up it's in a work of fiction where their lives would suck way WAY more if they didn't have superpowers.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:46 AM, tennisgurl said:

The fight between Grace and Anissa was basically a rehash of the fights that Jefferson and Lynn tend to have about having powers. Jefferson thinks of his and the girls powers as being a part of them and not using them is denying a part of themselves while Lynn think that a normal life is better than having powers.

Of course Lynn thinks that, she doesn't have superpowers so she doesn't understand the benefits nor the responsibilities that come with having them. Of course, that was before Lynn started shooting herself up with Meta Boosters all the time and realized how incredibly awesome it is but meh, hypocrisy thy name is Lynn.

I cant blame Grace for not wanting powers anymore, her life is pretty much a never ending stream of misery and she has just now gotten her powers somewhat under control, but Anissa will never want to give up her powers or being a superhero. She has never been a "I want a normal life" kind of hero, she loves having powers and would never want to get rid of them.

Grace at least actually has superpowers and actually has ones that are problematic to her so she actually has a leg to stand on here. Of course Anissa doesn't want to give up her powers and loves having them, she has complete control over her powers and they're only a benefit to her. The thing Grace doesn't get is she and the rest of the Pierces would be screwed without their powers and that this crap happens to them in SPITE of their powers, not because of them.