Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 5/3/2021

falltime
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

I cringe when the show starts talking about the British monarchy because they treat it like a reality TV show instead of as the head of state of several countries.  Queen Elizabeth is the sovereign of 15 countries including Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Jamaica, and the former head (now Charles) of the Commonwealth which consists of 54 countries. That's why they get more attention than the King of Bahrain, not because they've got good PR people.

True but don't forget how the British became the head of state of several countries around the world as brutal evil colonizers who invaded people's lands declared them to be inferior sub-humans and imposed their culture on them. 

Ask the Irish, Scottish, Chinese, Indians Africans and many others what British rule was like.  Even our founders put them out. I am not saying that the ladies were right but their disdain did not bother me at all..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 10

I was wondering if Megan was either not on the panel at the time or has amnesia when she was going on about Prince  Charles as Whoopi has said he’s a friend. 
Sorry  I don’t get how having friends with open marriages AND practicing polyamorous  goes with her uptight image she’s trying to push as being the party of family values.  I’ve seen documentaries on  such relationships and always wonder how children fare. She has so many friends it boggles my mind, 

Joy looks fabulous. 

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Sorry  I don’t get how having friends with open marriages AND practicing polyamorous  goes with her uptight image she’s trying to push as being the party of family values.  I’ve seen documentaries on  such relationships and always wonder how children fare. She has so many friends it boggles my mind, 

Joy looks fabulous. 

I’m trying to picture Meg and Ben having swinger and polyamorous friends. It just does not seem likely.

Loved the color of Joy’s pink lipstick.

I’m watching Uncle Joe’s vaccine news conference and he has not once called reluctant people stupid hillbillies. It seems he is doing everything in his power to encourage vaccinations. Meg just does not want to admit her tribe is creating the stonewall. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I’m trying to picture Meg and Ben having swinger and polyamorous friends. It just does not seem likely.

One of my best friends was a swinger.  I have known her since kindergarten and we reconnected on FB a few years ago.  It took her a couple years to confide in me.  I simply do not see Meghan having friends who practice that lifestyle and if she does I do not see them letting her know about it.  She is way too judgey about things.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
(edited)
4 hours ago, 2JEWELL said:

Did she just say that The Queen is a legacy?  In the context she was speaking, I think she meant to say “the Queennis a legend”?     Good Lord!  There used to be an old comedian, Norm Crosby.  They called him “the King of malaprop” (or something like that) because he intentionally used the wrong words all of the time.  That is who she reminds me of!

Yes.  Except he did it to be funny and she does it and then thinks she sounds smart since she never realizes that’s she’s used it incorrectly.  And I agree he wasn’t my favorite comedian of that era either.  

Edited by Rainyhawk
Add
  • Love 7
18 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I think Whoopi and Joy have a lot of power over production. If they say no, then it's no.

(If this is true, I don't think it's right.)

If it IS true, then there's a new production staff.  Previously we saw and learned that Meghan was in charge.

41 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

I simply do not see Meghan having friends who practice that lifestyle and if she does I do not see them letting her know about it.  She is way too judgey about things.

I think both she and her husband have vindictive streaks; I doubt if any "friends" would trust confiding about "swinging" to either of them.

• Love 10

Whoopi spoke up just as I was thinking Isn't Whoopi kind of tight with the British Royals? I thought the speculation about the future of the Royal family, as well as speculation on the Gates' divorce, both boring and ridiculous. I get that "America's #1 daytime talk show" wants to change things up from the predictable politics, but there wasn't anything worth talking about other than one person's doubt about the Royal Future or Bill Gates' friendship with his ex?

• Love 2
17 hours ago, catlover79 said:
19 hours ago, tinkerbell said:

So, a shot of whiskey?  Or a chance to shoot a gun?  

Knowing her, both - and at the same time!!

While she whistled Dixie!

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, KittyQ said:

The other comment (Joy, I think) suggested that Meghan Markle was going to update the Royal Family - it seems pretty obnoxious to take it upon yourself to "fix" somebody who hasn't asked for your help.

Hmmm...isn't that merely Joy's opinion?  "Obnoxious" is a mean word directed at Meghan Markle, who appeared to simply want a nice life with her husband (a prince) and continue to do his good works around the world.  

• Love 4

I haven't watched today's ep, but found these two articles interesting.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/watch-meghan-mccain-reveals-she-texted-with-elizabeth-warren-during-pregnancy-was-worried-she-e2-80-99d-be-fired/ar-BB1glZ6P?ocid=BingNewsSearch

From the article:

“You know Meghan, I want to start by saying thank you. It is good that you are speaking out,” Warren said, and told McCain that “This is about persisting.”

Warren went on to add that while men in government need to recognize that child care is infrastructure, and noted that “We have more women in the Senate now, but we need more.”

Very interesting that she used that terminology because MeAgain has been mocking Dems on Twitter about infrastructure, posting and/or retweeting random things. followed by "is infrastructure". Did EW do that as a little jab at MeAgain, in spite of their apparently close relationship? Also, MeAgain thought she would be fired because she was pregnant? 🙄

Article about the discussion re the Royals:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/meghan-mccain-slams-e2-80-98old-archaic-and-deeply-irrelevant-e2-80-99-monarchy-i-e2-80-99d-e2-80-98rather-eat-a-muddy-tire-e2-80-99-than-watch-charles-26-camilla/ar-BB1gm6id?ocid=BingNewsSearch

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Sorry  I don’t get how having friends with open marriages AND practicing polyamorous  goes with her uptight image she’s trying to push as being the party of family values.  

MeAgain also said she was surprised by how many of her friends with good marriages got divorced in the past year.  Those sound like barely-known acquaintances, not friends, Missy.

Charles & Camilla like to drink and shoot guns and have plenty of unearned money, so you've got a lot in common, Meghan.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 16
9 hours ago, Cementhead said:

That's the only way to watch The Wendy Williams Show.

I thought maybe.. really really high?  I was going to say "really really drunk" at first, but I think it would be too easy to go into a rage or a deep depression in that state. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Meg is furious that the Reps do not value Liz Cheney her.  She is irate, but can’t resist a slam against Uncle Joe.  
“A cacophony of politics,” Meg?  Do you know what that word means?

• LOL 5
  • Love 12

Hey Mega- why are you asking “what do we do?”  ?  Don’t you tell the Dems on the regular to stay out of it, we’ll figure this out in our own?  She is consistently inconsistent. Big eye roll 🙄 

1 minute ago, Haleth said:

Meg is furious that the Reps do not value Liz Cheney her.  She is irate, but can’t resist a slam against Uncle Joe.  
“A cacophony of politics,” Meg?  Do you know what that word means?

No, she doesn’t know what any of those words mean

• Love 16
Just now, Haleth said:

Sunny, you of all people know the trump/FB ban is not a free speech issue. 

Seriously! I have no patience for that argument. I am so done with people who use that argument to protect people who spread conspiracy theories and incite riots. In case you haven’t noticed, people have died because of that bullshit. 

You want to make stuff up? Write fiction!

• Love 14
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It pisses me off when Sunny says this and she has been saying this for years now.  The first amendment protects you from the government going after you regarding what you say about them.  Facebook, youtube, instagram e.t.c  are private companies that can make the rules regarding speech as they wish.  If you don't like it you are free to create your own platform and say what you want.

17 minutes ago, Axie said:

I never thought I'd be on Liz Cheney's side.  I need to go lay down.

Same here. You go Liz!  and as always Nutmeg has to make the Liz Cheney issue about her.  This is the first time that I am hearing that Megan is saying that she does not have a place in the party.  She is a liar because she is a good little soldier unlike Liz who has had the courage to disagree with her party despite the fact that she may pay a price.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 20
9 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Free speech means the government cannot prevent you from saying what you want. Any private business can.  And that is without even adding speech that incites violence.

14 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

. I despise Liz Cheney but I can grudgingly give her a minuscule amount of respect for doing the bare minimum of not drinking the Kool-Aid.

Before I applaud her I'm waiting to see if she sticks to her guns.  

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It’s funny that Meg is more defensive about attacks on Liz Cheney than those on her mom. 

'Cheeto Jesus' ?  Bwah! Funniest thing she's said

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Haleth said:

It’s funny that Meg is more defensive about attacks on Liz Cheney than those on her mom. 

I think it's because Meganutz is not really defending Liz Cheney, but herself. Don't forget, like Cheney, she's her FathersDaughter, her father who was once high ranking in the GOP. By the new Trump GOP telling the 'old guard' they aren't relevant any more, that means there's really no future for her in the party -whatever future she thought she had with them. And what's more frightening to her is the fact that MyFather's legacy no longer matters.

• Useful 5
  • Love 12
32 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

Before I applaud her I'm waiting to see if she sticks to her guns.  

I don't think this is actually a morality based position. I think it's a political calculation based on Cheney knowing she's never going to win back what passes for the Republican Party now, and she's planning ahead for an Independent run, or maybe even a party switch.  She knows her #3 House spot was doomed by 2022 anyway, even after she barely preserved it once. If she gets thrown off the bus, politically I mean, she may try to get media jobs as "the good Republican", or a pseudo bipartisan Biden appointment, or something.  Or as I said, bank on an independent run as somehow working. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

What the hell is wrong with them? The Facebook  ban is not a free speech issue.  Sara went on and on about all the outlets Trump has to spread his lies and hate, then talked about she's worried about free speech.  Trump can go anywhere and talk his BS.  Facebook is a private business as they all said, shut up and stop feeding the  craziness that Trump is being muzzled.  

Meghan you are no Liz Cheney,  I don't even like LC but I would never compare her and Meghan. 

Memememe, great argument about your party Meghan. 

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 19
4 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I don't think this is actually a morality based position.

It isn't.  Cheney knows her congressional seat is secure in Wyoming.  What she's really bucking for is one of the two senatorial seats in Wyoming.

• Useful 6
  • Love 3

As I  predicted, it didn't take Tiffany Haddish long to pucker up to Whoopi's ass. Lest we all forget, Whoopi was the last black woman to win a Grammy for best comedy album some 35 years ago, so Haddish had to pay her respect to Whoopie before they could discuss her own accomplishments. Just once, it would be nice if the focus of the celebrity interviews were focused on the guest and not Whoopi. I;m beginning to wonder if this is a clause in Goldberg's contract - every guest must pay homage to her in some way, or the cohosts have to remind everyone of her Oscar win every few weeks ?

• Love 8
Just now, LetsStartTalking said:

As I  predicted, it didn't take Tiffany Haddish long to pucker up to Whoopi's ass. Lest we all forget, Whoopi was the last black woman to win a Grammy for best comedy album some 35 years ago, so Haddish had to pay her respect to Whoopie before they could discuss her own accomplishments. Just once, it would be nice if the focus of the celebrity interviews were focused on the guest and not Whoopi. I;m beginning to wonder if this is a clause in Goldberg's contract - every guest must pay homage to her in some way, or the cohosts have to remind everyone of her Oscar win every few weeks ?

yeah, seems like lately the main purpose of the guest is to pay homage to whoopie and it's annoying

and, she may have an Oscar, but she's no show moderator.  she seems to have started her murmuring while others are talking again too

and now she's even doing commercials to reel in some more money

• Love 3
1 minute ago, cinsays said:

yeah, seems like lately the main purpose of the guest is to pay homage to whoopie and it's annoying

and, she may have an Oscar, but she's no show moderator.  she seems to have started her murmuring while others are talking again too

As I've said in other places... remember... you can't spell EGOT without EGO. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Not only that, but when you sign up with facebook or any other social media platform, you agree to the terms and conditions.  Most people do not read every word, but you have to check the box that you read and agreed with the terms, and understand that if you violate the terms, you can face being kicked off the platform.  

Exactly. It's like signing up for a credit card, and signing off at the end, acknowledging you agree to all the terms.

Then you miss three monthly payments, and your account is frozen until you catch up, and your credit score is dinged.  So you raise a public stink that you haven't been treated fairly ????? And expect sympathy from other CC holders who obey the terms ?

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, cslustig said:

Who watched Meghan take aim at her own party today on The View? Read our recap!

Meghan McCain Takes Down the GOP: 'They're Shivving' Liz Cheney for Not Supporting 'Cheeto Jesus'
https://www.primetimer.com/theview/meghan-mccain-liz-cheney-gop-shivving

When Meghan said this word "shivving", and prefaced it by saying she was going to be crass, I honestly thought she said "They're shitting Liz Cheney" - I had to rewind to listen to it a second time.

Great recap!!  :-)

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, cslustig said:

Who watched Meghan take aim at her own party today on The View? Read our recap!

Meghan McCain Takes Down the GOP: 'They're Shivving' Liz Cheney for Not Supporting 'Cheeto Jesus'
https://www.primetimer.com/theview/meghan-mccain-liz-cheney-gop-shivving

Yes, great recap!  But did MM really mean to say "college-aged women that lost you the election" instead of college-educated women?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Yes, great recap!  But did MM really mean to say "college-aged women that lost you the election" instead of college-educated women?

Don't confuse Meghan with the facts! 

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Don't confuse Meghan with the facts! 

And beware of her malaprops.  It's not you!  I wish someone was keeping track of them!  Might make a nice wrong-word-a-day calendar.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
(edited)
42 minutes ago, tinkerbell said:

Not only that, but when you sign up with facebook or any other social media platform, you agree to the terms and conditions.  Most people do not read every word, but you have to check the box that you read and agreed with the terms, and understand that if you violate the terms, you can face being kicked off the platform.  

It's basically like inviting people to your home.  If they start yelling nonsense, or saying something you don't agree with, you have the right to ask them to leave.  It doesn't violate anyone's free speech to say "you can't talk like that in my home."  

Exactly!  It just bothers me when I hear Americans complain about censorship when we have the most liberal free speech rights in the world. No other country allows its citizens the freedom of expression like we do. You can spread lies on social media and not get in trouble. We can say anything we want without fear of reprisals from the government. Dissenters in our country of the government are not murdered imprisoned tortured or driven into exiles.   Americans need to take civics classes because it is embarrassing to hear people whine about facebook censoring their first amendment rights.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 22
(edited)
58 minutes ago, ifionlyknew said:

According to Mark Zuckerberg he doesn't think FB should decide what is lies.

I think it would be a very hard thing to take on. Some lies are big enough and obvious enough that just about anyone can tell they are lies, but there are plenty of posts that would fall into a gray area, and a "no lies" policy would be very hard to enforce objectively and thoroughly. In addition to having to appropriately identify false items, complaints would probably go up, from people who felt they were wrongly blocked to people who feel that blocks aren't happening quickly enough. I suspect that this is a headache that FB would like to avoid.

Edited by KittyQ
  • Love 2

Tiffany seems to be very happy and in love.  

I was disappointed in the Anna Farris segment.  Really?  Just a discussion about confiding in friends?  I like her and ‘Mom’.  Sorry to see the show end.  It had such a strong cast I think it could have gone on a little longer.  But no one asked me.🤷‍♀️

• Love 3
2 hours ago, cinsays said:

Or MyFather.  That's annoying too.

and, she may have an Oscar, but she's no show moderator.

The way she mangled the topic intros today was awful.  The moderator should be able to read the teleprompter.  (Yes, I know she is dyslexic.)

2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

When Meghan said this word "shivving", and prefaced it by saying she was going to be crass, I honestly thought she said "They're shitting Liz Cheney" - I had to rewind to listen to it a second time.

I thought so too.  And I didn't catch Cheeto Jesus or whatever she said.  She was ranting so much it was hard to understand what she was saying.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Haleth said:

and, she may have an Oscar, but she's no show moderator.

The way she mangled the topic intros today was awful.  The moderator should be able to read the teleprompter.  (Yes, I know she is dyslexic.)

Perhaps she can memorize lines.  Also, production usually stops during filming if someone needs help.  MOSTLY, Whoopi needs a good/strong/experienced director to have us believe she's Oscar material.  She's had it a time or two.

Edited by Back Atcha
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Just started watching, and good grief! Meghan sweetie, you're gonna be fine. I promise. Just take a chill pill. Nothing is going to happen to you.

Was the term Karen coined specifically for Meghan? She's the living embodiment of it. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, RealHousewife said:

Just started watching, and good grief! Meghan sweetie, you're gonna be fine. I promise. Just take a chill pill. Nothing is going to happen to you.

Did  you hear her say she isn't becoming a Democrat because she isn't a leftist?

Not all Democrats are "leftist" Meghan.  Just like you keep reminding us all Republicans aren't MAGAats.

Edited by ifionlyknew
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
45 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Or MyFather.  That's annoying too.

I thought so too.  And I didn't catch Cheeto Jesus or whatever she said.  She was ranting so much it was hard to understand what she was saying.

I thought she threw out a “Jesus”, then I second guessed myself. 

Meganutz whole self-identity is being an 'old school republican' like HerFather. Times have changed, and the party has changed;  in other words, MyFather's party went out of business, and long-time members need to find another place to go. Meganutz doesn't like progression or any change, and she can't accept the fact that the party she's comfortable with is closed.

It's like being a long-time K-Mart employee because her whole family (including HerFather) were K-Mart employees, and finding out K-Mart is closing down for good. There's just a few stores left, so those remaining (Meganutz and Liz Chenney) need to make plans to survive in the future. Do they get jobs with the store who put them out of business (WalMart), do they move over to the competition (Target)  do they start their own new retail store, or do they sit in the parking lot of the empty K-Mart and hope that it reopens some day ? So far, she's sitting in the parking lot.

• LOL 4
  • Love 11